It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 21:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unlike other Mayan cities, Cancun's commercial power

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 122 [1], given: 0

Unlike other Mayan cities, Cancun's commercial power [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2008, 16:16
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

87% (00:31) correct 13% (00:43) wrong based on 250 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Unlike other Mayan cities, Cancun's commercial power throughout the lowlands seems to be from using its strategic position at the foot of the highlands, which were a source of jade, obsidian, and other valuable commodities.

A. Cancun's commercial power throughout lowlands seems to be from using its strategic position at the foot of the highlands, which were a source of jade, obsidian, and other valuable commodities

B. Cancun's commercial power throughout the lowlands seems to have come from using its strategic position at the foot of the highlands, a source of jade, obsidian, and other valuable commodities

C. the commercial power of Cancun throughout the lowlands seemed to have come from using its strategic position at the foot of the highlands, a source of jade, obsidian, and other valuable commodities.

D. Cancun seemed to be using its strategic position at the foot of the highlands, which was a source of jade, obsidian, and other valuable commodities, in becoming commercial power throughout the lowlands

E. Cancun seems to have used its strategic position at the foot of the highlands, a source of jade, obsidian, and other valuable commodities, to become a commercial power throughout the lowlands
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 122 [1], given: 0

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 370 [0], given: 0

Re: Unlike other Mayan cities, Cancun's commercial power [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2008, 16:25
quiet888 wrote:
Unlike other Mayan cities, Cancun's commercial power throughout the lowlands seems to be from using its strategic position at the foot of the highlands, which were a source of jade, obsidian, and other valuable commodities.

A. Cancun's commercial power throughout lowlands seems to be from using its strategic position at the foot of the highlands, which were a source of jade, obsidian, and other valuable commodities

B. Cancun's commercial power throughout the lowlands seems to have come from using its strategic position at the foot of the highlands, a source of jade, obsidian, and other valuable commodities

C. the commercial power of Cancun throughout the lowlands seemed to have come from using its strategic position at the foot of the highlands, a source of jade, obsidian, and other valuable commodities.

D. Cancun seemed to be using its strategic position at the foot of the highlands, which was a source of jade, obsidian, and other valuable commodities, in becoming commercial power throughout the lowlands

E. Cancun seems to have used its strategic position at the foot of the highlands, a source of jade, obsidian, and other valuable commodities, to become a commercial power throughout the lowlands

This one is between D and E. These are the only options that correctly compare "Cancun" with "cities".

In D, "which" is incorrectly placed as it modifies "highlands", and it sounds unidiomatic. Consider these two sentences:

I used my psychic power in overcoming GMAT.
I used my psychic power to overcome GMAT.

The latter is idiomatic. Out of these two, I picked E.

Kudos [?]: 370 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2008, 16:39
This one is between D and E. But I feel the answer to the following is D.

The usage of the perfect tense (have) has no significance here , and can be eliminated.So I eliminated E.
Moreover, 'seem to be' is idiomatic .

Answer: D.

I feel the usage of 'which' clearly modifies the highlands..

Some one pls..clarify..

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2008, 17:20
bkk145 wrote:
quiet888 wrote:

This one is between D and E. These are the only options that correctly compare "Cancun" with "cities".

In D, "which" is incorrectly placed as it modifies "highlands", and it sounds unidiomatic. Consider these two sentences:

I used my psychic power in overcoming GMAT.
I used my psychic power to overcome GMAT.

The latter is idiomatic. Out of these two, I picked E.

Between D and E , I eliminated D because "seemed to be using" + which was didn't seem quite right . here , author is suggesting higlands was a source ? I think if it said which is a source , it would have made more sense?

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 1443 [0], given: 1

Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2008, 18:30
rpmodi wrote:
author is suggesting higlands was a source

I agree, E

rpmodi wrote:
which was didn't seem quite right

Can you explain your feeling more about this? I did not get the point!

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 1443 [0], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2008, 21:17
sondenso wrote:
rpmodi wrote:
author is suggesting higlands was a source

I agree, E

rpmodi wrote:
which was didn't seem quite right

Can you explain your feeling more about this? I did not get the point!

Sorry for confusion, I meant usage of was didn't seem right .Usage of which is fine since it is directly referring to hilands.

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2014, 10:39
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 230 [1], given: 855

Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2017, 06:14
This post received
KUDOS
Unlike X, Y. So, A, B, and C are out because of wrong comparison.
Between D and E. E is correct because of reasons mentioned below :-

Point #1: In D, the major problem is with the use of “seemed to be using” – this implies that “fact X about Cancun seemed to be the case sometime in the past.” However, the objective of the sentence is to stand in the present and look back at the past. i.e. look back today and make an observation about how Cancun was in the past. The present perfect tense “seems to have used” does this best.
Point #2: does ‘which’ in D modify “foot of the highlands” or “the highlands”? We have official questions that have approved of both. So this is an ambiguous issue. Option E is therefore preferred because it simply gets rid of this ambiguity.
Point #3: there is a statement of purpose or intent here. Cancun did “X in order to become Y.” So, the infinitive form “to become” in E is better than the -ing form in D.
Point #4: Just read out options D and E – E is better in terms of concision.

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Kudos [?]: 230 [1], given: 855

Verbal Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 1007 [0], given: 81

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2017, 11:12

A. Cancun's commercial power throughout lowlands seems to be from using its strategic position at the foot of the highlands, which were a source of jade, obsidian, and other valuable commodities - comparison issue - city vs power

B. Cancun's commercial power throughout the lowlands seems to have come from using its strategic position at the foot of the highlands, a source of jade, obsidian, and other valuable commodities- comparison issue - city vs power

C. the commercial power of Cancun throughout the lowlands seemed to have come from using its strategic position at the foot of the highlands, a source of jade, obsidian, and other valuable commodities. - comparison issue - city vs power

D. Cancun seemed to be using its strategic position at the foot of the highlands, which was a source of jade, obsidian, and other valuable commodities, in becoming commercial power throughout the lowlands - usage of which ; 'seemed to be using': unacceptable change of meaning. the past-tense 'seemed' says that that's the way it seemed to the mayans living in cancun long ago, whereas the sentence is clearly designed to say that's the way it seems to us now ; idiom issue - in becoming

E. Cancun seems to have used its strategic position at the foot of the highlands, a source of jade, obsidian, and other valuable commodities, to become a commercial power throughout the lowlands - Correct

Answer E

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 1007 [0], given: 81

Re: Unlike other Mayan cities, Cancun's commercial power   [#permalink] 08 Sep 2017, 11:12

Unlike other Mayan cities, Cancun's commercial power

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap