Last visit was: 13 May 2024, 08:57 It is currently 13 May 2024, 08:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Send PM
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 336 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Urgent Help Needed for School Selections [#permalink]
Expert Reply
I like your profile and think with the diversity of schools on your list should increase your odds. The CBS ding was
Probably as a result of your low GPA and below avg score for the school so you were probably fighting an uphill then.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mbaMissionJenK wrote:
tonyzzz wrote:
Background:
- Chinese American male, 29 years old, married.
- Undergraduate: Economics @ UCLA.
- GMAT: 700 (V35, Q49, AW6, IR2). I've taken the GMAT twice. First time I scored 620 in April this year. I improved to 700 three months later in July.
- GPA: 3.2
- WE: 6 years in a private equity commercial/residential investment and development firm (a family business setting but not my family's business) in San Francisco. Promoted for 3 times. Now hold a director title. Main duties include project management, property management, marketing, potential project acquisition analysis.
- EC: Co-founded a podcast station with my college friends; sound editor for my wife's dance studio; community service at a local temple to help disadvantaged seniors during college, etc.
- Development of interest in consulting: At my current job I have helped many retail business owners/entrepreneurs set up their companies as our shopping plaza tenants - primarily restaurants, coffee shops, bridal shop, furniture stores, etc. Through helping them I realize that I lack skills in X, Y, and Z and thus will need an MBA to reinforce those areas. To have the adequate tools and power to make an impact in the small to midsize business (SMEs) circle, I developed my interest in being a management consultant. I would like to work at a top global consulting firm in order to expose/immerse myself with the big corporate training so that I can be my own boss in the long run.
- Short-term goal: to work at MBB or Deloitte/Accenture/EY to focus on retail management consulting.
- Long-term goal: to found my own consultancy to help small to midsize businesses succeed in the retail industry.

School selections:
I've already applied to CBS Early Decision (rejected without interview), Tuck R2, Johnson R2. Now I'm working on Yale SOM and Fuqua for R2. I really need some advice for the last 3-4 schools that I'm going to apply in December. I'm debating between Ross and Anderson, while I'm definitely applying for Tepper and USC Marshall.

Please feel free to share with me your thoughts based on my candidacy. I've felt frustrated to confirm on the last few schools to apply to.

Thank you!!

Hi there,
Your work experience sounds solid, and I like your various community & EC involvements and the thought you've put into your goals. With the lower GPA and borderline GMAT, it's true that the top tier of schools are going to be tough... I'd be hopeful for consideration at Johnson, Tepper, and Marshall... I'd choose Ross over UCLA for you in my view. You could also look at options such as Emory or Georgetown for more of a backup potentially. Good luck! Let us know if you'd like to speak further, we do offer free consultations if interested.

Thank you very much Jen for your comments and brief evaluation!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
cxa0897 wrote:
tonyzzz wrote:
[b]Background:

Ross and tepper are pretty solid bets for lower ranked chances at mbb. I don't think marshall will have many opportunities for you on that level, but plenty of tier 2s.

With that being said, I think you are really going to struggle with your gmat score at any of the schools on your list. You have a weak(ish) gpa and a gmat that is on par or below your demographic's at any of those schools. You will have to sell your work experience since it is the only saving grace in your profile and could be really interesting to some adcoms.

Short term goal does align pretty well so really stress how your past and future merge with an mba from 'X' school. Every school is looking for something different and it is important to cater to that.

Thank you cxa0897 for your valuable opinions. I agree with you on my low-ish GMAT and GPA, and that's why I have spent lots of efforts honing my goals and essays.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
VeritasPrepDozie wrote:
I like your profile and think with the diversity of schools on your list should increase your odds. The CBS ding was
Probably as a result of your low GPA and below avg score for the school so you were probably fighting an uphill then.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Thank you and I totally agree with you. I'll try to apply for more schools in December.
GMAT Club Bot