Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:09 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619173 [8]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619173 [1]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Schools: LBS '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.16
Send PM
Re: V03-01 [#permalink]
How is C a weakener? Just because there are more charities does not mean that the donations will be higher.
I can donate 100$ in one charity or 50$ in 2 separate charities. My $ amount is the same.

Please correct my thought process.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Schools: Haas '19
Send PM
anant327 wrote:
How is C a weakener? Just because there are more charities does not mean that the donations will be higher.
I can donate 100$ in one charity or 50$ in 2 separate charities. My $ amount is the same.

Please correct my thought process.

Survey's creators conclude that urban dwellers are more generous than rural residents basing their logic on average dollar amount contributed annually. Our goal is to find some new information that makes this conclusion less valid and then cross it out. The fact that there are more charities in urban than in a rural area shows that more citizens can donate because they are convinced to do so by more charity organizations so average dollar amount contributed annually in urban are bigger. Thus, it is less likely that urban people are more generous.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
This is a poor quality question !

In order for C to weaken the author's conclusion, we have to make "another assumption" which is more charities = greater dollar donated per resident.

How is it even logical ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 477 [0]
Given Kudos: 219
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
A survey of charitable giving in the state found that the average dollar amount contributed annually by residents of urban areas to programs for the homeless was $15 greater than the amount contributed by residents of rural areas. The survey’s creators, an urban-promotion group known as Live in the City, concluded that city dwellers are on average more generous than residents of rural areas.

EACH of the following, if true, casts doubt on the conclusion of the survey’s creators EXCEPT

A. An unrelated survey of annual charitable giving finds that residents of rural areas give 3% less to charity than residents of urban areas.
B. There are more homeless people in urban areas than rural areas, making it more likely that urban residents would contribute to those charities.
C. There are more charities in general operating in urban areas than in rural areas.
D. The survey is calculated based on dollar amount rather than a percentage of income and does not account for the fact that incomes in urban areas are often higher.
E. The group Live in the City has been known to alter survey results for marketing purposes.

Hi Experts GMATNinja GMATNinja2 nightblade354 VeritasKarishma

How to solve these kinds of questions?? Do we have a framework for it?? I'm getting confused by the EXCEPT type questions.

Moreover, In this question, What does 3% in option A is about?? 3% more money/avg contribution/probability, etc. How can we solve without having this clarity?

Thanks in advance :)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64933 [0]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Expert Reply
HarshaBujji wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
A survey of charitable giving in the state found that the average dollar amount contributed annually by residents of urban areas to programs for the homeless was $15 greater than the amount contributed by residents of rural areas. The survey’s creators, an urban-promotion group known as Live in the City, concluded that city dwellers are on average more generous than residents of rural areas.

EACH of the following, if true, casts doubt on the conclusion of the survey’s creators EXCEPT

A. An unrelated survey of annual charitable giving finds that residents of rural areas give 3% less to charity than residents of urban areas.
B. There are more homeless people in urban areas than rural areas, making it more likely that urban residents would contribute to those charities.
C. There are more charities in general operating in urban areas than in rural areas.
D. The survey is calculated based on dollar amount rather than a percentage of income and does not account for the fact that incomes in urban areas are often higher.
E. The group Live in the City has been known to alter survey results for marketing purposes.

Hi Experts GMATNinja GMATNinja2 nightblade354 VeritasKarishma

How to solve these kinds of questions?? Do we have a framework for it?? I'm getting confused by the EXCEPT type questions.

Moreover, In this question, What does 3% in option A is about?? 3% more money/avg contribution/probability, etc. How can we solve without having this clarity?

Thanks in advance :)

Except questions are no trickier than regular questions. Just that usually they are a bit more time consuming.
In a weaken question, you need to find one option that weakens the conclusion. In a "weaken except" question, you need to find 4 options that weaken. There will be only one option that will either have no impact on or strengthen the conclusion.

So in this question, you need to find 4 options that do in some way, weaken the conclusion.

Option (A) does not weaken the conclusion. In fact, it supports the conclusion. It says that rural residents give 3% less to charity and urban residents more. So it does look like urban residents are more generous. What exactly the 3% is, doesn't matter. Worst case, even if it is measure that does not show generosity, we are still ok because it is still a "non weakener". It may or may not strengthen.

All other options are in some direct or indirect way weakeners.

Urban people may not be more generous. The need may be far more and hence overall, they give slightly more than rural people. If the need in rural areas is much lower, it makes sense why people there would give a bit lower.

More charities means greater reach. So overall collection could be higher because in urban areas, charities reach more people.

D. The survey is calculated based on dollar amount rather than percentage of income, and does not account for the fact that incomes in urban areas are often higher.

Urban areas have higher incomes and hence could be contributing more. They may not be more generous. After all, generosity depends on what percent of your assets are you willing to share.

Casts doubt on the conclusion.

Answer (A)
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
simonnguyen wrote:
This is a poor quality question !

In order for C to weaken the author's conclusion, we have to make "another assumption" which is more charities = greater dollar donated per resident.

How is it even logical ?

I agree with you - the question seems to have two correct answers. Here, A reinforces the conclusion, so is a good answer. But C is also a good answer, at least as I'd interpret it. We know using C that urban people not only give more to homeless charities, they also have more charities they can give to. That suggests to me they might give even more to charity than the stem alone suggests. Somehow we're meant to conclude the opposite, which doesn't make sense.

It's actually very easy to see why answer C makes no sense as a weakener, if we reverse its meaning. If C said:

Urban residents only have one charity they can give to, a homeless charity, while rural residents have millions of different charities they can give to

then this would clearly undermine the conclusion, because we'd then know urban residents were giving a small amount more to homeless charities, but rural residents might be donating lots of money to millions of other types of charity. It's logically impossible that a statement and its negation both weaken an argument, so there's a logic issue with the question.

I also don't even think you can rule out E here. We know as a premise that the survey found urban people give more to homeless charities. That's a premise, so it's a fact. Whether Live in the City sometimes alters survey results is then, as I'd interpret the meaning, irrelevant, because we are told what their survey actually found, and not what Live in the City claimed it found.

The underlying issue with a question like this is that it draws a conclusion about a nebulous quality 'generosity' that can't be measured. Since we have no way of knowing what it means for one person to be "more generous" than another without making lots of assumptions, it's not at all clear what the conclusion of the argument means, and so it's not clear what would undermine the argument.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92933 posts