It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 03:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

V08-19

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 17599 [0], given: 1986

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
V08-19 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2015, 09:58
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

45% (00:47) correct 55% (00:53) wrong based on 130 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Wilhelm I was recognized by the Treaty of Frankfurt as the Emperor in 1871, when Germany first became a single, unified state.

A. Wilhelm I was recognized by the Treaty of Frankfurt as the Emperor in 1871, when Germany first became a single, unified state.
B. Wilhelm I was recognized by the Treaty of Frankfurt in 1871 as Emperor, when Germany first became a single, unified state.
C. Germany first became a single, unified state in 1871, when the Emperor Wilhelm I was recognized by the Treaty of Frankfurt.
D. Germany first became a single unified state in 1871, when the Treaty of Frankfurt recognized Wilhelm I as Emperor.
E. In 1871, Germany first became a single, unified state, when the Treaty of Frankfurt recognized Wilhelm I as the Emperor of the country.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re V08-19 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2015, 09:58
Official Solution:

Wilhelm I was recognized by the Treaty of Frankfurt as the Emperor in 1871, when Germany first became a single, unified state.

A. Wilhelm I was recognized by the Treaty of Frankfurt as the Emperor in 1871, when Germany first became a single, unified state.
B. Wilhelm I was recognized by the Treaty of Frankfurt in 1871 as Emperor, when Germany first became a single, unified state.
C. Germany first became a single, unified state in 1871, when the Emperor Wilhelm I was recognized by the Treaty of Frankfurt.
D. Germany first became a single unified state in 1871, when the Treaty of Frankfurt recognized Wilhelm I as Emperor.
E. In 1871, Germany first became a single, unified state, when the Treaty of Frankfurt recognized Wilhelm I as the Emperor of the country.

(A) This sentence illogically implies that the treaty recognized Wilhelm as the Emperor in 1871, when it simply recognized him as the Emperor. Additionally, it is always recommended to get away from the passive voice on the GMAT, making this a grammatically weaker option.

(B) The dependent clause beginning with 'when Germany' illogically refers to Emperor

(C) The passive voice construction 'when the Emperor Wilhelm I was recognized by the Treaty' is less idiomatic than the active voice construction of choice D; the word 'the' in 'the Emperor Wilhelm I' is unnecessarily wordy. The comma between two adjectives 'single' and 'unified' is not necessary.

(D) Correct. The active voice construction 'the Treaty of Frankfurt recognized Wilhelm I' is idiomatically correct

(E) The phrase 'The Emperor of the country' is unnecessarily wordy

Answer: D

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [2], given: 70

GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
Re: V08-19 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2015, 22:24
This post received
KUDOS
Is it just me or anyone else also feels that the options are too close to be wrong.
Just a bit wordy or passive construction should not be only criteria to eliminate.

Anyone know a actual GMAT question which disqualifies option solely on this as long as the meaning is clear. I think C, D And E options were fine. This question gave me a tough time and I am still not convinced with solution.

Kudos [?]: 32 [2], given: 70

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 27

Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 660 Q51 V28
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.55
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2015, 12:48
I think this is a bit tricky question and I don't agree with the explanation. can't understand the difference between A and D. As per explanation given option A is wrong because the treaty recognised wilhelm, but it is the same case with option D as well.

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 27

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 142 [0], given: 216

Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2015, 07:17
Hi,

Can somebody explain why can't I see this post/question normally by searching in Google ?

Kudos [?]: 142 [0], given: 216

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
P

Kudos [?]: 29054 [1], given: 5255

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2015, 10:55
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
siliconbeach wrote:
I think this is a bit tricky question and I don't agree with the explanation. can't understand the difference between A and D. As per explanation given option A is wrong because the treaty recognised wilhelm, but it is the same case with option D as well.

Here is what the question author suggested:

Quote:
There are potentially two things wrong with answer A. First of all, it is in passive voice. It's better to say "the treaty recognized Wilhelm" than "Wilhelm was recognized by the treaty". Second, in answer A, the treaty recognized Wilhelm as "the emperor in 1871", which may incorrectly imply that he was only the Emperor for the year 1871.

I think the passive voice is the red flag in this case.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 29054 [1], given: 5255

Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 431 [0], given: 200

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2016, 18:01
first became single in A and in D seem to me to be way different. in D, it rather implies that First did smth, then smth else.
is it me who only considered this subtle change in meaning?

Kudos [?]: 431 [0], given: 200

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 126

Concentration: General Management
Schools: Goizueta '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 610 Q41 V32
GMAT 2: 620 Q45 V31
GMAT 3: 640 Q46 V32
GPA: 3.97

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2016, 10:37
I don't think the use of commas in the provided correct answer is appropriate;
"Germany became a single, unified state, in 1871... "

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 126

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3493 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2016, 08:29
Avigano wrote:
I don't think the use of commas in the provided correct answer is appropriate;
"Germany became a single, unified state, in 1871... "

Thank you for pointing out. The commas have been removed from the correct option and the explanation for option C has been modified accordingly.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 11

GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.56
Re V08-19 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2016, 21:24
I think this is a poor-quality question and I agree with explanation. I just think it's a poor quality question because we don't know what the sentence intends to emphasize: the emperor or Germany. From studying OG questions, I felt that the GMAC puts great amount of emphasis on the main idea of the sentence. I chose A because I felt that the recognition of the emperor was more important though it is in passive form. Anyway, just my opinion. Maybe you can modify this question in a way that it clearly expresses the main idea of the sentence.

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 11

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2016, 09:35
tae808 wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question and I agree with explanation. I just think it's a poor quality question because we don't know what the sentence intends to emphasize: the emperor or Germany. From studying OG questions, I felt that the GMAC puts great amount of emphasis on the main idea of the sentence. I chose A because I felt that the recognition of the emperor was more important though it is in passive form. Anyway, just my opinion. Maybe you can modify this question in a way that it clearly expresses the main idea of the sentence.

A is wrong not because it conveys a wrong meaning,but because it conveys two different meanings and hence is ambiguous:
The recognition happened in 1871.
The recognition was valid for only 1871.

The problems with the other options are as below:

B. Wrong position of dependent clause modifier "when Germany...."- should ideally touch "1871".

C. Problematic meaning: This option conveys that Wilhelm was already an emperor when the treaty recognized him. It is not clear the treaty recognized him as what.

E. Wrong position of dependent clause modifier "when Germany...."- should ideally touch "1871".

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 116

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2016, 06:29
can anybody explain me
option D changes the meaning due to the placement of "when"??
which event occurs first ??(recognition or Germany became) :( :shock: :roll:

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 116

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3493 [1], given: 22

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2016, 08:25
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Karanagrawal wrote:
can anybody explain me
option D changes the meaning due to the placement of "when"??
which event occurs first ??(recognition or Germany became) :( :shock: :roll:

First of all, It has not been mentioned in any official guideline that the correct answer must retain the meaning of the original sentence. If there is only one grammatically correct choice, it must be selected even when it deviates in meaning from the original. However if there are two grammatically correct sentences, select the one that agrees with the intended meaning of the original sentence.

Second, the relative pronoun "when" very frequently imply that two things happen simultaneously (as in this case - both events occurred in 1871).

Kudos [?]: 3493 [1], given: 22

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User
Re V08-19 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2016, 16:54
I think this is a poor-quality question. Are test takers expected to know whether the Treaty of Frankfurt recognised Wilhelm as Emperor after Germany became a single state, or if Germany became a single state after Wilhelm was recognised as emperor?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 5

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2016, 12:42
Naeemeeda wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question. Are test takers expected to know whether the Treaty of Frankfurt recognised Wilhelm as Emperor after Germany became a single state, or if Germany became a single state after Wilhelm was recognised as emperor?

No, it is not required to know about any historical event to answer this SC question. Each answer except D either has a grammatical mistake or is ambiguous.

v08-202929.html#p1724647

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 103

GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 12:57
sayantanc2k wrote:
Naeemeeda wrote:

No, it is not required to know about any historical event to answer this SC question. Each answer except D either has a grammatical mistake or is ambiguous.

http://gmatclub.com/forum/v08-202929.html#p1724647

Unfortunately, C & E Neither have any Grammatical error nor are they Ambiguous. They have been eliminated because both of them are Wordy. Every other error mentioned in OE is a mistake by the question writer. Here is why..

Quote:
(C) The passive voice construction 'when the Emperor Wilhelm I was recognized by the Treaty' is less idiomatic than the active voice construction of choice D; the word 'the' in 'the Emperor Wilhelm I' is unnecessarily wordy. The comma between two adjectives 'single' and 'unified' is not necessary.

GMAT neither tests the usage of Articles - A, An, and The - nor tests the usage of punctuation. So, the only reason to eliminate C is its passive construct and to eliminate E is its use of 3 extra words. Now, since there is no official question that eliminates 2 options for being wordy, this question is of a poor quality.

I'd appreciate learning about the grammatical errors in my posts

Please hit Kudos If my Solution helps

My Debrief for 750 - https://gmatclub.com/forum/from-720-to-750-one-of-the-most-difficult-pleatues-to-overcome-246420.html

My CR notes - https://gmatclub.com/forum/patterns-in-cr-questions-243450.html

Rest of the Notes coming soon.

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 103

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 3

Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V28
GPA: 2.71
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2017, 13:40
I to think its a poor quality question. Answer options are way too close and explanation is not clear.

1 more question :

Dont it looks like that Germany became a unified state in 1871 when the emperor was recognized by the treaty ? So does emperor being recognized has some bearing on Germany becoming a unified state.

Does this makes logical sense ???

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 3

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V40
CAT Tests
Re V08-19 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2017, 23:24
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 64

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2017, 06:06
I think the sentence is trying to imply X happened when Y.

But option D states Y happened when X.

Doesn't this alter the meaning of the sentence?

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 64

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

CAT Tests
V08-19 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2017, 15:23
Option B and E are clearly wrong because "when" should touch "1871". Simple!
Option C is wrong not because it is wordy, but because there is placement problem, which in a way makes the sentence meaningless. It says "when the Emperor Wilhelm I was recognized by the Treaty of Frankfurt". Recognized as what?? The correct meaning should be "when the Wilhelm I was recognized as the Emperor" or "when the Treaty of Frankfurt recognized Wilhelm I as the Emperor".

I do see another flaw in option D. It says "recognized Wilhelm I as Emperor". I believe it should be "the Emperor". Emperor must have an article before. Someone said that GMAT doesn't test articles. Maybe that is true. So basically we are down to two options:

Option A which is grammatically correct, but in passive voice. Also this option emphasizes more on the recognition of Wilhelm I as the Emperor than on the unification of Germany.
Option D which is in active voice, but with a grammatical flaw. Also this option emphasizes more on the unification of Germany than on the recognition of Wilhelm I as the Emperor.

Since in this case it doesn't matter which way the emphasis goes (unification or recognition), it seems to me that the ultimate choice is between accepting passive voice, or accepting an article-flaw.

I am more inclined towards choosing option A, for two reasons:
1. The article-flaw is somehow hurting me too much. I do not recall reading any article/passage/line ever that mentions a king / emperor without an article before it. GMAT, although may not test articles, but I am just unable to ignore this flaw in this case. Also GMAT, although is not in favor of passive forms, it is still not dead against passive forms.
2. Option A emphasizes more on Wilhelm getting recognized, whereas option D emphasizes more on Treaty of Frankfurt giving the recognition. In this case, I don't think who gave the recognition matters as much as someone getting recognition as the Emperor. Read it this way:
1. Germany got unified when someone got recognized as the Emperor. MAKES BETTER SENSE TO ME!
2. Germany got unified when TOF recognized someone as the Emperor.

Unification of Germany is more related to Wilhelm becoming the Emperor, than who made him the Emperor.
So I am inclined towards choosing option A.

Please feel free to provide your inputs to my chain of thoughts.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

V08-19   [#permalink] 23 Oct 2017, 15:23

V08-19

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: Bunuel, chetan2u

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap