Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:57 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [2]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: V10-12 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
manlog wrote:
bb, the passage gives information that the population declined, but in the explanation of the correct answer choice A and other choices, you say that "the size of the labor force has decreased.", which requires additional assumption, that "population decline = labour force decline".

Please refer to the slight change in wording in the first sentence of the passage.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Great question, thank you!

I'm unsure if I get it right: "There have been no technological developments that would increase the productivity of the labor force" doesn't this damage the whole argument? because if there was no increase in productivity, how then would GDP remained the same?

thank you
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
SeregaP wrote:

I'm unsure if I get it right: "There have been no technological developments that would increase the productivity of the labor force" doesn't this damage the whole argument? because if there was no increase in productivity, how then would GDP remained the same?

thank you

Yes your understanding is correct - consider this way:

GDP ∝ Population x Productivity

If GDP is to remain same while population goes down, the productivity must go up.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
SeregaP wrote:

thank you

Yes your understanding is correct - consider this way:

GDP ∝ Population x Productivity

If GDP is to remain same while population goes down, the productivity must go up.

Hi, Sayantanc2k

I am not sure I am understanding the explanation correctly. Could you please point to my misunderstanding?

If GDP = Labor*Productivity then, if Labor force has declined, the only possible explanation for GDP not declining is Productivity increasing. Alternatively, if there has been no productivity increase due to technological advances, then the GDP should be declining and resultantly since it "Has remained steady", this point WEAKENS the argument.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re V10-12 [#permalink]
I think this is a high-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. If there "Have been" no technological developments that would increase the productivity of the labor force then how will you justify the discrepancy in the question statement that the population decreased but GDP has remained steady.

Should that have been be something like "will be no more"
or "no more technological developments are expected"?
GMAT Club Bot
Re V10-12 [#permalink]
Moderator:
Math Expert
92948 posts