Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 17:53 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 17:53
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 938 [12]
Given Kudos: 228
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 938 [2]
Given Kudos: 228
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [7]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 607
Send PM
Re: V21-30 [#permalink]
jeffn wrote:
Discontinuing the use of most habit-forming drugs causes emotional depression. While playing recreational sports can help reduce the emotional depression caused by discontinuing the use of such drugs, some amount of emotional depression is unlikely to be preventable.

If all of the above statements are true, which of the following must be true?

A. Individuals who discontinue the use of any habit-forming drug will experience at least some emotional depression.
B. People who participate in recreational sports regularly are less likely to suffer from emotional depression than people who do not.
C. An individual who discontinues the use of an addictive opioid will most likely suffer from some emotional depression despite playing recreational tennis.
D. Individuals who use habit-forming drugs are likely to avoid emotional depression by continuing to use those drugs.
E. Playing recreational sports is the best way to reduce the amount of emotional depression caused by discontinuing the use of habit-forming drugs.

[prem] -hform drugs = depres
[con] while sports = -this depres, some depres isnt preventable;

(E) sports = -depres, but never stated it is the best form to -depre, out;
(D) continuing the use might avoid "further" depression, we don't know if its total depression or that avoided by the drugs, out;
(B) sports help -depres from discont drugs, doesnt say that those who do sports are less likely to get depressed, out;
(A) "most" drugs caused such effect, not all, out;

Answer (C).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 217
Send PM
I think this is a high-quality question and I agree with explanation. Great, thorough explanation.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V46
Send PM
I think this is a high-quality question and I agree with explanation. I would just add the assumption that an "addictive opioid" is a habit-forming drug
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. C requires an assumption that an opioid is a "habit-forming drug". This is not stated anywhere, and would require prior knowledge and a big jump to the conclusion. I considered this option, but since opioid was not present anywhere in the initial statement, it felt like out of scope
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 74324 [0]
Given Kudos: 20634
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply

Aline_R wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. C requires an assumption that an opioid is a "habit-forming drug". This is not stated anywhere, and would require prior knowledge and a big jump to the conclusion. I considered this option, but since opioid was not present anywhere in the initial statement, it felt like out of scope

­

Thank you for the feedback. 
The answer choice C says "addictive oppioid" - that means a habit-forming drug. I do not believe there is an issue with an assumption here because of the word "addictive"
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 74324 [1]
Send PM
V21-30 [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
pareekpranjal wrote:
I didn't feel comfortable with (C), what if that Opoid is one of those drugs that are not part of "most" category that causes emotional depression? And if we're dealing with likely, why can B not be correct?

­

While playing recreational sports can help reduce emotional depression, the passage does not compare those who play sports regularly with those who do not, thus is NOT necessarily true.­
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
GMAT Focus 1:
655 Q82 V83 DI82
GPA: 7.1
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
bb wrote:
Aline_R wrote:

­

Thank you for the feedback. 
The answer choice C says "addictive oppioid" - that means a habit-forming drug. I do not believe there is an issue with an assumption here because of the word "addictive"

­
The issue with choice C is really that the question asks for MUST BE TRUE. But Option C is at most MAY BE TRUE.

If someone is MOST LIKELY to suffer from depression after leaving drugs, then the statement itself contains a doubt and there is margin in the statement itself to allow for someone who might not suffer the depression.

Can you refer me to any OG question that tests this kind of concept where the question asks MUST BE TRUE but the correct option contains MAY BE TRUE statements ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
bb is Must be true is from first family --- in which any information outside the sphere of stimulus is not permitted , then how is this permitted
Founder
Founder
Send PM
V21-30 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
AshishDevliyal wrote:
bb is Must be true is from first family --- in which any information outside the sphere of stimulus is not permitted , then how is this permitted

­
Hi. You can see a more detailed discussion and explanation here: 
https://gmatclub.com/forum/discontinuin ... 45225.html­

P.s. Where is this terminology from - "first family"? I am curious. 
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I don't think this question is very high-quality. You can easily make a case that addictive opioid is not within the group that cases emotional depression. Saw this question in one of the GMAT club mocks - ideally GMAT club should not include questions that have this level of ambiguity in them.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
V21-30 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
jessjitsingh wrote:
I don't think this question is very high-quality. You can easily make a case that addictive opioid is not within the group that cases emotional depression. Saw this question in one of the GMAT club mocks - ideally GMAT club should not include questions that have this level of ambiguity in them.

­
Sorry about the lack of logical cohesion between the context and the question. Are you suggesting we use another type of substance? I don't think the question writer knew enough about substance abuse. However, looking it up on Google, we found that opioids supposedly can cause depression https://www.webmd.com/depression/medici ... depression­
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Send PM
I think this is a high-quality question
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
94619 posts