Last visit was: 21 May 2024, 14:08 It is currently 21 May 2024, 14:08
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 905 [11]
Given Kudos: 214
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 905 [2]
Given Kudos: 214
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [7]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: V21-30 [#permalink]
This one felt tricky. The explanation was basically asking for you to identify a person who was able to reduce emotional stress by playing any sport. While this was the best answer, it felt like this question was unnecessarily tricky. I choose B because while it is too broad it felt like the better answer than assuming someone with an issue with habit forming drugs would benefit from tennis, esp since it said most but not all.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
pareekpranjal wrote:
I didn't feel comfortable with (C), what if that Opoid is one of those drugs that are not part of "most" category that causes emotional depression? And if we're dealing with likely, why can B not be correct?

Any response to the above query ?
I have the same doubt.

Since answer choice (C) is too specific and generally it is recommended to avoid being specific if the passage quotes words such as - "most" , "likely" etc. I would prefer going by option (B) that is as safe as required to be the correct answer.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 312 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.25
WE:Account Management (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
shivarora306 wrote:
pareekpranjal wrote:
I didn't feel comfortable with (C), what if that Opoid is one of those drugs that are not part of "most" category that causes emotional depression? And if we're dealing with likely, why can B not be correct?

I have the same doubt.

Since answer choice (C) is too specific and generally it is recommended to avoid being specific if the passage quotes words such as - "most" , "likely" etc. I would prefer going by option (B) that is as safe as required to be the correct answer.

The argument is about emotional depression AFTER LEAVING A DRUG and not emotional depression in general.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
V
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
Send PM
shivarora306 wrote:
pareekpranjal wrote:

I have the same doubt.

I eliminated C for the same reason: what if the opioid isn't in the group "most habit forming drugs"?
But now I think I understand why we can't eliminate C for that reason.
The passage states that withdrawal from most habit-forming drugs causes depression. Option C states that the opioid is addictive (i.e. habit-forming). Since withdrawal from most habit-forming drugs causes depression, and since the opioid is a habit-forming drug, then it is highly likely that withdrawal from the opioid causes depression. Thus, it must be true that someone who stops using the opioid will *most likely* suffer from depression. If the words "most likely" were omitted, then we could eliminate C for the reason we originally thought.

pareekpranjal shivarora306
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: (S)
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
pareekpranjal wrote:

I feel the same because the paragraph doesn't mention Opoid but instead says "most of the drugs" and Opoid doesn't necessarily come under most category.

And the question is asking for what MUST be true.

Regards
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1348 [0]
Given Kudos: 607
Send PM
jeffn wrote:
Discontinuing the use of most habit-forming drugs causes emotional depression. While playing recreational sports can help reduce the emotional depression caused by discontinuing the use of such drugs, some amount of emotional depression is unlikely to be preventable.

If all of the above statements are true, which of the following must be true?

A. Individuals who discontinue the use of any habit-forming drug will experience at least some emotional depression.
B. People who participate in recreational sports regularly are less likely to suffer from emotional depression than people who do not.
C. An individual who discontinues the use of an addictive opioid will most likely suffer from some emotional depression despite playing recreational tennis.
D. Individuals who use habit-forming drugs are likely to avoid emotional depression by continuing to use those drugs.
E. Playing recreational sports is the best way to reduce the amount of emotional depression caused by discontinuing the use of habit-forming drugs.

[prem] -hform drugs = depres
[con] while sports = -this depres, some depres isnt preventable;

(E) sports = -depres, but never stated it is the best form to -depre, out;
(D) continuing the use might avoid "further" depression, we don't know if its total depression or that avoided by the drugs, out;
(B) sports help -depres from discont drugs, doesnt say that those who do sports are less likely to get depressed, out;
(A) "most" drugs caused such effect, not all, out;

Answer (C).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 217
Send PM
I think this is a high-quality question and I agree with explanation. Great, thorough explanation.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V46
Send PM
I think this is a high-quality question and I agree with explanation. I would just add the assumption that an "addictive opioid" is a habit-forming drug
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 40
GPA: 3.27
Send PM
pareekpranjal wrote:

Choice B is very generic and can be considered irrelevant , while C is the most likely option
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools: (S)
GMAT 1: 580 Q45 V25
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
IMO it is weird that C is the correct answer. Why can we just assume that opoid is a habit-forming drug, and if it is so, is it even within the category of 'most of the habit-forming drugs'. Confusing to me.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I think this is a poor-quality question. the questions asks for 'MUST' be true. One can easily say that opioids are part of a group of habit forming drugs that do not cause emotional depression.

While C might be the best option it does not have to be true according to the statements.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I think this is a poor-quality question.
The question is better to be supplemented some infor to hint to the difference between A and C, especially the meaing of addictive opioid
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Send PM
pareekpranjal wrote:

B doesn't talk about use of habit-forming drugs
C uses "most likely",i.e. probability of this happening is high. Going by argument, it is true.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. C requires an assumption that an opioid is a "habit-forming drug". This is not stated anywhere, and would require prior knowledge and a big jump to the conclusion. I considered this option, but since opioid was not present anywhere in the initial statement, it felt like out of scope
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73305 [0]
Given Kudos: 19002
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply

Aline_R wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. C requires an assumption that an opioid is a "habit-forming drug". This is not stated anywhere, and would require prior knowledge and a big jump to the conclusion. I considered this option, but since opioid was not present anywhere in the initial statement, it felt like out of scope

­

Thank you for the feedback. 
The answer choice C says "addictive oppioid" - that means a habit-forming drug. I do not believe there is an issue with an assumption here because of the word "addictive"
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73305 [1]
Given Kudos: 19002
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
V21-30 [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
pareekpranjal wrote:

­

While playing recreational sports can help reduce emotional depression, the passage does not compare those who play sports regularly with those who do not, thus is NOT necessarily true.­
GMAT Club Bot
V21-30 [#permalink]
Moderator:
Math Expert
93373 posts