GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Sep 2018, 03:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

V21-30

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B
Premium Member
V21-30  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2018, 14:04
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

47% (01:21) correct 53% (01:03) wrong based on 19 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Discontinuing the use of most habit-forming drugs causes emotional depression. While playing recreational sports can help reduce the emotional depression caused by discontinuing the use of such drugs, some amount of emotional depression is unlikely to be preventable.

If all of the above statements are true, which of the following must be true?

A. Individuals who discontinue the use of any habit-forming drug will experience at least some emotional depression.
B. People who participate in recreational sports regularly are less likely to suffer from emotional depression than people who do not.
C. An individual who discontinues the use of an addictive opioid will most likely suffer from some emotional depression despite playing recreational tennis.
D. Individuals who use habit-forming drugs are likely to avoid emotional depression by continuing to use those drugs.
E. Playing recreational sports is the best way to reduce the amount of emotional depression caused by discontinuing the use of habit-forming drugs.
Manager
Manager
B
Premium Member
Re V21-30  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2018, 14:04
Official Solution:

Discontinuing the use of most habit-forming drugs causes emotional depression. While playing recreational sports can help reduce the emotional depression caused by discontinuing the use of such drugs, some amount of emotional depression is unlikely to be preventable.

If all of the above statements are true, which of the following must be true?

A. Individuals who discontinue the use of any habit-forming drug will experience at least some emotional depression.
B. People who participate in recreational sports regularly are less likely to suffer from emotional depression than people who do not.
C. An individual who discontinues the use of an addictive opioid will most likely suffer from some emotional depression despite playing recreational tennis.
D. Individuals who use habit-forming drugs are likely to avoid emotional depression by continuing to use those drugs.
E. Playing recreational sports is the best way to reduce the amount of emotional depression caused by discontinuing the use of habit-forming drugs.

This passage does not have a conclusion, so don't try to make one up. In fact, the question is basically asking you to identify a statement that could be the conclusion given the facts in the passage. Instead, ask yourself, "What's the heart of the passage?" or "What is the author trying to do?" In this case, the author wants to convey that playing recreational sports can help reduce but NOT prevent the emotional depression caused by discontinuing the use of such drugs

Once you understand the author's purpose, make sure you understand the structure of the passage

"Discontinuing the use of most habit-forming drugs causes emotional depression" - this simply tells us that emotional depression is caused when the use of most habit-forming drugs is discontinued. Make sure you pay attention to that little modifier most. The passage does not say that ALL habit-forming drugs cause emotional depression

"Playing recreational sports can help reduce the emotional depression caused by discontinuing the use of such drugs" - Again, pay attention to the language choice. Playing recreational sports CAN help reduce the emotional depression; this does not mean that playing recreational sports WILL necessarily reduce the emotional depression

The author certainly does not say that playing recreational sports can or will ELIMINATE the emotional depression. In fact, the author explicitly states that "some amount of emotional depression is unlikely to be preventable"

Now, if that's all true, which of the following must be true

(A) Individuals who discontinue the use of any habit-forming drug will experience at least some emotional depression

Remember, the passage says that MOST (not ALL) habit-forming drugs cause emotional depression. Thus, we cannot conclude that individuals who discontinue the use of ANY habit-forming drugs will experience at least some emotional depression. (A) can be eliminated

(B) People who participate in recreational sports regularly are less likely to suffer from emotional depression than people who do not

All we know is that playing recreational sports can help reduce the emotional depression caused by discontinuing the use of many habit-forming drugs. We are not told that participating in recreational sports reduces the likelihood of suffering from emotional depression in general. This statement could be true, but it is not strongly supported by the passage. Eliminate (B)

(C) An individual who discontinues the use of an addictive opioid will most likely suffer from some emotional depression despite playing recreational tennis

We are told that "discontinuing the use of most habit-forming drugs causes emotional depression." Thus, discontinuing the use of an addictive opioid will likely cause emotional depression. Playing recreational sports can help REDUCE that emotional depression, but "some amount of emotional depression is unlikely to be preventable." Thus, we can logically conclude that an individual who discontinues the use of an addictive opioid will most likely suffer from some emotional depression despite playing a recreational sport such as tennis. Choice (C) looks good

(D) Individuals who use habit-forming drugs are likely to avoid emotional depression by continuing to use those drugs

Yes, discontinuing the use of habit-forming drugs will likely cause some emotional depression, but this does not mean that those individuals will AVOID emotional depression by continuing to use those drugs. Those individuals could develop emotional depression for a variety of other reasons, and we have no idea how likely it is for those individuals to avoid emotional depression. (D) cannot be logically inferred and should be eliminated

(E) Playing recreational sports is the best way to reduce the amount of emotional depression caused by discontinuing the use of habit-forming drugs

We are told that playing recreational sports CAN HELP REDUCE the emotional depression caused by discontinuing the use of habit-forming drugs, but we are not told that playing recreational sports is the BEST way to reduce the emotional depression. There could be other treatments/activities that are more effective than playing recreational sports. (E) can be eliminated

(C) is the best choice

Answer: C
Intern
Intern
B
Re: V21-30  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2018, 22:07
I didn't feel comfortable with (C), what if that Opoid is one of those drugs that are not part of "most" category that causes emotional depression? And if we're dealing with likely, why can B not be correct?
Intern
Intern
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2018, 11:54
This one felt tricky. The explanation was basically asking for you to identify a person who was able to reduce emotional stress by playing any sport. While this was the best answer, it felt like this question was unnecessarily tricky. I choose B because while it is too broad it felt like the better answer than assuming someone with an issue with habit forming drugs would benefit from tennis, esp since it said most but not all.
Intern
Intern
CAT Tests
V21-30  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2018, 02:49
pareekpranjal wrote:
I didn't feel comfortable with (C), what if that Opoid is one of those drugs that are not part of "most" category that causes emotional depression? And if we're dealing with likely, why can B not be correct?

Any response to the above query ?
I have the same doubt.

Since answer choice (C) is too specific and generally it is recommended to avoid being specific if the passage quotes words such as - "most" , "likely" etc. I would prefer going by option (B) that is as safe as required to be the correct answer.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
S
Schools: ISB
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2018, 01:28
shivarora306 wrote:
pareekpranjal wrote:

I have the same doubt.

Since answer choice (C) is too specific and generally it is recommended to avoid being specific if the passage quotes words such as - "most" , "likely" etc. I would prefer going by option (B) that is as safe as required to be the correct answer.

The argument is about emotional depression AFTER LEAVING A DRUG and not emotional depression in general.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
V

Regards,

Vaibhav

Sky is the limit. 800 is the limit.

~GMAC

Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
Reviews Badge
V21-30  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2018, 16:34
shivarora306 wrote:
pareekpranjal wrote:

I have the same doubt.

I eliminated C for the same reason: what if the opioid isn't in the group "most habit forming drugs"?
But now I think I understand why we can't eliminate C for that reason.
The passage states that withdrawal from most habit-forming drugs causes depression. Option C states that the opioid is addictive (i.e. habit-forming). Since withdrawal from most habit-forming drugs causes depression, and since the opioid is a habit-forming drug, then it is highly likely that withdrawal from the opioid causes depression. Thus, it must be true that someone who stops using the opioid will *most likely* suffer from depression. If the words "most likely" were omitted, then we could eliminate C for the reason we originally thought.

pareekpranjal shivarora306
GMAT Club Bot
V21-30 &nbs [#permalink] 29 Jul 2018, 16:34

V21-30

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap