Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 18:10 It is currently 08 May 2024, 18:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1362 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28611 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1362 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28611 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Re: Verb 'aim' and usage [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Mo2men wrote:
Thanks Mike for your usual and detailed support. I may share what triggered this question. it might help with a lesson learned.

I was studying Magoosh idiom flash card. I bumped into 'composing' and its usage. This word triggered what I read in Manhattan about 'aimed' in its following exmaple cited from the book:

We adopted new procedures AIMED AT REDUCING theft.

We adopted new procedures WITH THE AIM OF REDUCING theft.

They claim that both are right. So I was confused so I suggested if we use 'composing' so we can use 'aiming' but i could not find any answer to support my claim until you answered today. If I put what you said and Manhattan claims about 'aimed', I can say that 'procedures' themselves do not 'aim' but they were created by people for an 'aim' or 'target' so we use 'aimed' NOT 'aiming'.

Am I correct in my analysis?

I think the problem that non-native speakers like me loves to use analogy with some words and function in language. This is big trap.

:thanks

Dear Mo2men,

Both the MGMAT sentences, of course, are 100% correct. The first uses the passive participle---again, the people did the aiming, and the procedure was the thing through which their aims were directed; yes, you are correct in your analysis. The constructions "with an aim," "with a purpose," "with the intention," etc. are quite common. When we humans create anything---a book, a business, a political party, this response on GMAT Club to you---theoretically we are using the thing we create to express our will, our intentions, our perspective, etc. We put our human-ness into what we create. Thus, even though this response to you is at some level an animate collection of 1's and 0's in some indecipherable code, we can say that I responded to you "with my thought, with my perspective."

I would say: be very careful analogies between verbs, because there are many different kinds of verbs. The verb "to aim" is very active, very intentional, very deliberate: it is the action of a conscious and perceptive being. By contrast, the verb "to compose," in the sense of the content of something, is more of an "existence" verb, like "appear," "seem," "persist", etc.: for example, some combination of plates and glasses and flatware can "compose" a dinner set, but the individual items doing the "composing" are just inanimate objects sitting there. Verbs of pure being don't make good analogs for verbs of action & intention.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Verb 'aim' and usage [#permalink]