Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 08:09 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 08:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1435 [0]
Given Kudos: 582
Send PM
Re: Verbal score dropped majorly in second attempt [#permalink]
You should seek professional assistance with strategy from a tutor secured at least 760. I recommend Jeff Volmer, a tutor of Manhattan prep.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1729 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GPA: 3.97
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Falguni95 wrote:
EducationAisle wrote:
Isn't 730 a great score? Which schools are you targeting?

Yes, 730 is a good score but there are two reasons why I took a second attempt - one is that I was constantly scoring 760-770 in the official mocks, and the second is that I really need a scholarship. The reasons still hold and I'm not sure what to do now.

Posted from my mobile device

Was it online and were the questions unexpectedly difficult?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22073 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Verbal score dropped majorly in second attempt [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Falguni95,

730 is a very nice score! I see that you were scoring higher on your practice exams, so I can understand why you want another crack at the GMAT. Regarding how to move forward, can you provide some more information on what you did to study for your previous GMATs? In the meantime, here is a helpful article:

Why Was My GMAT Score Lower Than My Practice Test Scores?
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1802 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
Falguni95 wrote:
Hi all,

I just took my second attempt at the GMAT today, and my verbal score dropped a lot. My first GMAT score was 730 (Q49 V40) and current score was 710 (Q50, V36). Feeling very dejected and not sure how to go from here. Both offline attempts, and I can't take any more offline attempts due to travel constraints. Any suggestions?

Posted from my mobile device

Hi Falguni,

First of all, congratulations on a great score. Looking at our scores, it's evident that you are capable of scoring Q50 and V40. It's just that you have to make sure to get both in the same test. It might have happened that you concentrated on Quant and neglected Verbal a little for your second test. So, you just need to get back to the old approach you followed for Verbal. Sometimes, it's just the gap that has a huge impact. It's very important that you do not lose touch.

So, if you are open to taking another attempt and are looking for suggestions or if you are confused about taking another attempt, feel free to get in touch so that we can have a detailed discussion on what to do next. You can use the below link to schedule a free consultation call.

Click here to schedule a call
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1435 [0]
Given Kudos: 582
Send PM
You can also seek advice or consult with GMAT expert, MartyTargetTestPrep.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Falguni95,

First off, a 730/Q49 is an outstanding Score - and with it, you can comfortably apply to any Business Schools that interest you (and apply for a variety of different scholarships). As such, another retest is probably NOT necessary. Depending on the Schools that you plan to apply to, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. Those Experts should be able to answer your Admissions questions and help define the specific areas of your profile that could use some improvement. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to? If you are planning to apply soon, then what specific application deadlines are you facing?
2) What research have you done so far into possible Scholarships? Have any of them explicitly stated that you MUST score higher than a 730?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot