Last visit was: 21 May 2024, 19:47 It is currently 21 May 2024, 19:47
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 93373
Own Kudos [?]: 625656 [40]
Given Kudos: 81918
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Joined: 28 Jan 2013
Posts: 16
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [5]
Given Kudos: 184
Location: India
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 05 Apr 2015
Posts: 289
Own Kudos [?]: 718 [1]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
avatar
Manager
Manager
Joined: 10 Aug 2015
Posts: 95
Own Kudos [?]: 240 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Re: What is the units digit of the three-digit integer N ? [#permalink]
Solution:

1) The values can be in the range[546,554]. Insufficeint
2) Many possible values.Insufficient./

Combined : We have two values 548 and 552. So, insufficient.

Option E

Originally posted by anudeep133 on 08 Sep 2015, 04:21.
Last edited by anudeep133 on 08 Sep 2015, 13:03, edited 2 times in total.
avatar
Manager
Manager
Joined: 10 Aug 2015
Posts: 95
Own Kudos [?]: 240 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Re: What is the units digit of the three-digit integer N ? [#permalink]
dominicraj wrote:
It is E IMO.

As per option A: number should be anywhere between X45 and X55. Also X45 and X55 are not included in that(where X stands for hundredth digit)

As per option B: we can have any number which has last two digits divisible by 4.

If we use both A and B we have X48 and X52 as the contenders. Hence we still cant answer the question despite using both.

Regards,
Dom.


Hi Dom,
I think the no. can only be on of these {545,546,547,548,549,555,556,557,558,559}.
Take x51 as an example. When rounded to tens it will be X5 and when rounded to hundreds it will be x+1.
So, the difference should be 50. 10X+5-X-1=50 ==> 9X=46. Not possible.
Please correct me if i am wrong. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 05 Apr 2015
Posts: 289
Own Kudos [?]: 718 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Re: What is the units digit of the three-digit integer N ? [#permalink]
Hi anudeep,

we cannot have numbers beyond X55.. in my opinion.

reason being when you make it to nearest tens the number becomes X60...

and to nearest hundreds... (X+1)00.. the difference between them becomes 40. which goes against option A.

Regards,
Dom.
avatar
Manager
Manager
Joined: 10 Aug 2015
Posts: 95
Own Kudos [?]: 240 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Re: What is the units digit of the three-digit integer N ? [#permalink]
dominicraj wrote:
Hi anudeep,

we cannot have numbers beyond X55.. in my opinion.

reason being when you make it to nearest tens the number becomes X60...

and to nearest hundreds... (X+1)00.. the difference between them becomes 40. which goes against option A.

Regards,
Dom.


Yes, you are right.Thanks. :)
avatar
Intern
Intern
Joined: 12 Nov 2013
Posts: 34
Own Kudos [?]: 819 [0]
Given Kudos: 141
Send PM
Re: What is the units digit of the three-digit integer N ? [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
What is the units digit of the three-digit integer N ?

(1) When N is rounded to the nearest hundred, the result is 50 less than the result when N is rounded to the nearest ten.
(2) N is divisible by 4.


Kudos for a correct solution.



I started with statement 2 as it seemed much easier.

N can be any 3 digit number divisible by 4, and we have more than one unit digit in this case. Ex - 0, 4, 8 etc. So not sufficient.

Statement 1 : the last two digits N can be 46 47 48 49 51 52 53 54.

So, when you round off any of the above numbers to the nearest 100 and the nearest tens, the difference is 50.

For ex: 451 - Nearest 100 digit is 500, nearest 10 digit is 450, so difference = 50. Not sufficient.

On combining, both the statements we still are left with 48 and 52 (last two digits divisible by 4)

SO E.
avatar
Intern
Intern
Joined: 15 Jun 2015
Posts: 1
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 199
Send PM
Re: What is the units digit of the three-digit integer N ? [#permalink]
2
Kudos
Guys, please correct me if 'm wrong, but it seems to me that you can't consider nos. over X50 under statement no.1, cause othervise when rounded to hundred we will get 50 more not less
avatar
Intern
Intern
Joined: 11 Jul 2015
Posts: 16
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GMAT 2: 710 Q46 V41
GPA: 3.4
WE:Supply Chain Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: What is the units digit of the three-digit integer N ? [#permalink]
2
Kudos
Im going to go with C.

Statement 1) When N is rounded to the nearest hundred, the result is 50 less than the result when N is rounded to the nearest ten.

Under this assumption, the tens digit has to be less that 5 so N rounds down. Then the units digit would have to be 5 through 9 so that it rounds up. So for example, N could be 149 through 145. (i.e. 149 rounds down to 100 if rounding to nearest 100 & 149 rounds up to 150 if rounding to nearest 10.) But since we have multiple numbers that we can use, statement 1 in insufficient.

Statement 2) N is divisible by 4

Ignoring statement 1, N could could have several solutions again. Example 104, 108, 112 etc. With no other info, statement 1 is insufficient.

Combining the statements) Since we know the 3 digit N is divisible by 4, it will not matter what the hundreds digit is for N. (From the rules of division, we only have to prove the last 2 digits in a number is divisible by 4 to prove that the entire number is also divisible by 4.) Therefore, we can use the numbers we came up in working statement 1 - 149, 148, 147, 146, and 145. Of these numbers, only 148 is divisible by 4.

Therefore C is the answer.

Solid question Bunuel. +1
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 05 Jan 2017
Posts: 416
Own Kudos [?]: 284 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Location: India
Send PM
Re: What is the units digit of the three-digit integer N ? [#permalink]
PROMPT ANALYSIS

N is an natural number.

SUPERSET

N can range from 100 to 999.

TRANSLATION

In order to find N we need:
1# exact value of N
2# any relation or equation to determine N.

STATEMENT ANALYSIS

St 1: n will be either 151-155, 251-255, 351-355 …….851-855 INSUFFICIENT
St 2: n can be any 3 digit number divisible by 4. INSUFFICIENT

St 1& St 2: n could be 152, 252,352, 452……..852. We can see that the units digit in each case is 2. SUFFICIENT

Option C
Math Expert
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 93373
Own Kudos [?]: 625656 [2]
Given Kudos: 81918
Send PM
Re: What is the units digit of the three-digit integer N ? [#permalink]
1
Kudos
1
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
MANHATTAN GMAT OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

With digit problems, it’s generally a good idea to rephrase the given statements into lists of possibilities. If possible, you should make an exhaustive list.

(1) INSUFFICIENT: When N is rounded to the nearest hundred, the result ends with “00”. Therefore, according to this statement, N rounded to the nearest ten yields a number ending with “50”. Furthermore, since the value rounded to the nearest hundred is lower, N must round down to the nearest hundred. Using basic facts about rounding, we can deduce from these two facts that the last two digits of N are somewhere between 45 and 49(inclusive). This range includes five possible units digits (5 through 9), so this statement is INSUFFICIENT.

(2) INSUFFICIENT: This statement tells us only that N is a three-digit multiple of 4. This is not enough information to determine the units digit of N.

(1) and (2): SUFFICIENT: An integer is divisible by 4 if its last two digits are divisible by 4. (The hundreds digit doesn’t matter, since 100 is a multiple of 4.) Of the options allowed by statement (1) for the last two digits – 45, 46, 47, 48, and 49 – only 48 is divisible by 4. Therefore, the last two digits of N are 48. Therefore, the units digit of N is 8; SUFFICIENT.

The correct answer is C.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 23 Sep 2016
Posts: 185
Own Kudos [?]: 323 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Re: What is the units digit of the three-digit integer N ? [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
What is the units digit of the three-digit integer N ?

(1) When N is rounded to the nearest hundred, the result is 50 less than the result when N is rounded to the nearest ten.
(2) N is divisible by 4.


Kudos for a correct solution.

IMO C statement 1 to make 50 difference then hundredth digit will be any no. except 9 as no. is 3 digit
tense digit will be 1 to 4 any number and unit digit will be 6 to 9 any number so insufficient.
statement 2 n divisible by 4 then n can be 400, 404,408, 412 etc insufficient.
combing both we know divisibility rule of 4 i.e last 2 digit is divisible by 4 then unit digit will be 8 only from 6 to 9 and hence sufficient.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 01 Feb 2023
Posts: 5
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: What is the units digit of the three-digit integer N ? [#permalink]
My solution:

Statement 1:

By rounding our number to the closest hundred we know that we end up with a lower number and by rounding to the closest ten we end up with a higher number. For this to be true the number we are looking for has to be lower than X5X and higher than XX4. Now, by taking into consideration that the two possible roundings have to create a gap of 50 we can quickly see that only X45 - X49 satisfies this condition. Ex. 145, 146, 147, 148, 149. As such we have five possible unit digits - not sufficient

Statement 2:

There are endless three-digit numbers that are divisible by 4. Ex. 120, 644, 888... Not sufficient

Statement 1 & 2 combined:

So going back to the set from S1 we can remove odd numbers directly, we are then left with X46 and X48, and only X48 will be divisible by 4. As such the unit digit has to be 8.

Answer: C
Intern
Intern
Joined: 23 Aug 2023
Posts: 5
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 112
Location: India
Send PM
What is the units digit of the three-digit integer N ? [#permalink]
BASSLJ wrote:
Im going to go with C.

Statement 1) When N is rounded to the nearest hundred, the result is 50 less than the result when N is rounded to the nearest ten.

Under this assumption, the tens digit has to be less that 5 so N rounds down. Then the units digit would have to be 5 through 9 so that it rounds up. So for example, N could be 149 through 145. (i.e. 149 rounds down to 100 if rounding to nearest 100 & 149 rounds up to 150 if rounding to nearest 10.) But since we have multiple numbers that we can use, statement 1 in insufficient.

Statement 2) N is divisible by 4

Ignoring statement 1, N could could have several solutions again. Example 104, 108, 112 etc. With no other info, statement 1 is insufficient.

Combining the statements) Since we know the 3 digit N is divisible by 4, it will not matter what the hundreds digit is for N. (From the rules of division, we only have to prove the last 2 digits in a number is divisible by 4 to prove that the entire number is also divisible by 4.) Therefore, we can use the numbers we came up in working statement 1 - 149, 148, 147, 146, and 145. Of these numbers, only 148 is divisible by 4.

Therefore C is the answer.

Solid question Bunuel. +1
 

­But in case of 246- nearest 100 is 200 and nearest 10 is 250 thus giving the difference of 50 and 246 is divisible by 4.
Here the units digit is 6. So then there is no definite answer right?
If you can please tell me if this is right or if I am missing something?
Math Expert
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 93373
Own Kudos [?]: 625656 [0]
Given Kudos: 81918
Send PM
Re: What is the units digit of the three-digit integer N ? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
purvibagmar wrote:
BASSLJ wrote:
Im going to go with C.

Statement 1) When N is rounded to the nearest hundred, the result is 50 less than the result when N is rounded to the nearest ten.

Under this assumption, the tens digit has to be less that 5 so N rounds down. Then the units digit would have to be 5 through 9 so that it rounds up. So for example, N could be 149 through 145. (i.e. 149 rounds down to 100 if rounding to nearest 100 & 149 rounds up to 150 if rounding to nearest 10.) But since we have multiple numbers that we can use, statement 1 in insufficient.

Statement 2) N is divisible by 4

Ignoring statement 1, N could could have several solutions again. Example 104, 108, 112 etc. With no other info, statement 1 is insufficient.

Combining the statements) Since we know the 3 digit N is divisible by 4, it will not matter what the hundreds digit is for N. (From the rules of division, we only have to prove the last 2 digits in a number is divisible by 4 to prove that the entire number is also divisible by 4.) Therefore, we can use the numbers we came up in working statement 1 - 149, 148, 147, 146, and 145. Of these numbers, only 148 is divisible by 4.

Therefore C is the answer.

Solid question Bunuel. +1

 

­But in case of 246- nearest 100 is 200 and nearest 10 is 250 thus giving the difference of 50 and 246 is divisible by 4.
Here the units digit is 6. So then there is no definite answer right?
If you can please tell me if this is right or if I am missing something?

­246 is not divisible by 4:

246/4 = 61.5.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: What is the units digit of the three-digit integer N ? [#permalink]
Moderator:
Math Expert
93373 posts