Last visit was: 12 May 2024, 15:09 It is currently 12 May 2024, 15:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
VP
VP
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Re: What you think about the new BW rankings thread (Today 5PM) [#permalink]
riverripper wrote:
Apple recruits here as well...so maybe thats why their new marketing is so good haha.

I wont even ask about Chicago's great finance education and what role that has played in Wall Street's recent performance. Lehman and ML I do believe really liked GSB grads :roll:

Remember people who attend school in class buildings shouldnt be throwing stones :lol:

I wasn't throwing stones, I was just kidding as I openly stated. Sorry if I didn't deliver my message the way I wanted. Microsoft also recruits here in Chicago as Apple does so too.

Remember when I told that the data behind the numbers usually tell us more than the ranking itself? Well that's what I keep hearing in my accounting classes: don't just look at the BS, IS and SCF, look at the footnotes.

It's not going to be a particularly good placement environment for Columbia, Wharton, Chicago and NYU as these schools send half of their students to finance related jobs. However I remember river arguing that it would be easier for someone pursuing a finance job at Kellogg. From the BW data, it seems that Lehman and ML were also top recruiters there, actually they were all across the Top schools. If one prospective student just look at the data she/he would think that Kellogg just sent people at Finance to Lehman, ML, JP and AMEX, a wrong assumption. On the other hand people looking at Chicago's numbers would also think that things would be easier there as there are many other Financial companies going there: wrong. Things will be hard all over the place, especially for career switchers. Thinking a bit, I don't remember seeing that many careers switchers to Finance in my class, maybe they changed their minds, maybe it was the AdCom/Career Service strategy.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
kwam wrote:
I wasn't throwing stones, I was just kidding as I openly stated. Sorry if I didn't deliver my message the way I wanted. Microsoft also recruits here in Chicago as Apple does so too.

I know you were kidding, I was just teasing about the fact your whole building is a big glass cube. (better than a concrete bunker though haha)

kwam wrote:
It's not going to be a particularly good placement environment for Columbia, Wharton, Chicago and NYU as these schools send half of their students to finance related jobs. However I remember river arguing that it would be easier for someone pursuing a finance job at Kellogg. From the BW data, it seems that Lehman and ML were also top recruiters there, actually they were all across the Top schools. If one prospective student just look at the data she/he would think that Kellogg just sent people at Finance to Lehman, ML, JP and AMEX, a wrong assumption. On the other hand people looking at Chicago's numbers would also think that things would be easier there as there are many other Financial companies going there: wrong. Things will be hard all over the place, especially for career switchers. Thinking a bit, I don't remember seeing that many careers switchers to Finance in my class, maybe they changed their minds, maybe it was the AdCom/Career Service strategy.

One of my friends is recuiting heavily for banking. He said there are only about 35 kids in our class chasing IB this year (less than half the number who went after it last year according to the banking club). Many of those are internationals, it seems especially popular with chinese students who want to go back to hong kong. He was joking that there is no competition and it will be easier to get a job at one of the top banks (the few that are left) than at one of the top consulting companies because even with the decrease the jobs are going to outnumber the kids going for them.

Have people at Chicago changed their plans? Are many kids who wanted banking now going for consulting or some other job now?
VP
VP
 Q49  V44
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
Have people at Chicago changed their plans? Are many kids who wanted banking now going for consulting or some other job now?

I've seen some people that wanted Banking or IM going to Consulting events.
Is this a trend? I don't know.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
kwam wrote:
riverripper wrote:

I've seen some people that wanted Banking or IM going to Consulting events.
Is this a trend? I don't know.

our Management Consulting Group doubled its membership this year
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
kwam wrote:

MGBLUE, I believe I can just add, as this is the value of the endowment - though some people say that this is a very conservative estimate of the gift.

Anyway, I just wanted to point out that all Top Schools are well above the 700 on GMAT.

There was a town hall with the Deans today -- They talked about fundraising for the new building and mentioned that our endowment is still higher than Chicago's despite the donation. 8-)
VP
VP
 Q49  V44
Send PM
MGOBLUE2 wrote:
kwam wrote:

MGBLUE, I believe I can just add, as this is the value of the endowment - though some people say that this is a very conservative estimate of the gift.

Anyway, I just wanted to point out that all Top Schools are well above the 700 on GMAT.

There was a town hall with the Deans today -- They talked about fundraising for the new building and mentioned that our endowment is still higher than Chicago's despite the donation. 8-)

Somebody is worried with competition :)

What new building? Well at least it must be cheaper right, perhaps around $100M, with real state the way it is, hehehe. Just Kidding again with my north neighbors.

BTW, I was wrong, the gift won't count for $300MM in the book, this value has cash, participation on Booth's company and also the present value of the projected streams. My fault. But it doesn't have the extra $100M
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
kwam wrote:
Somebody is worried with competition :)

What new building? Well at least it must be cheaper right, perhaps around $100M, with real state the way it is, hehehe. Just Kidding again with my north neighbors.

BTW, I was wrong, the gift won't count for $300MM in the book, this value has cash, participation on Booth's company and also the present value of the projected streams. My fault. But it doesn't have the extra $100M

The new building is going to be on the lake overlooking the city. They are planning on spending well over $200 million on it. They are basically doubling the space for students (student body wont be changing in size though). Since we are the last top school to get a new building they say they are going to go well beyond all the others. The thought is no other school will be building a new building anytime soon so they can make something better than the rest and have that advantage for years to come.

As for the endowment (they are all big enough so its not a huge deal) however, our deans all talk and supposedly ours was more than double Chicagos before the gift and we still are "significantly higher."

Other things that came out:
We only lost two professors this year, one to HBS and one to Haas (lowest number of the top schools) but gained a bunch from other schools.
applications are up 19% or so.
Talked a lot about brand building and stuff like that. Spending a lot of effort building up relationships with senior alums around the world to really strengthen our brand overseas.
VP
VP
 Q49  V44
Send PM
You´re right river, you guys had almost twice as much as us in terms of endowments.

It seems a nice project with the building. As for the relationship you know that you guys are good in marketing, right?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 292 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
Since we are the last top school to get a new building they say they are going to go well beyond all the others. The thought is no other school will be building a new building anytime soon so they can make something better than the rest and have that advantage for years to come.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that MIT and Stanford are both in the process of building new facilities, and Columbia is going to have a new one within the next 5-8 years as well?

Anyway, I gotta say that I hate the overtly rah rah cheerleading on the forums from any school's camp. It's a huge turn off. Every school has it's positives and negatives, and Kellogg and Chicago are no exception.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
agold wrote:
riverripper wrote:
Since we are the last top school to get a new building they say they are going to go well beyond all the others. The thought is no other school will be building a new building anytime soon so they can make something better than the rest and have that advantage for years to come.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that MIT and Stanford are both in the process of building new facilities, and Columbia is going to have a new one within the next 5-8 years as well?

Anyway, I gotta say that I hate the overtly rah rah cheerleading on the forums from any school's camp. It's a huge turn off. Every school has it's positives and negatives, and Kellogg and Chicago are no exception.

We should just change the title of this thread to the official Kellogg/Chicago cheer-off
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
GoBruins wrote:
agold wrote:
riverripper wrote:

We should just change the title of this thread to the official Kellogg/Chicago cheer-off

Hahaha, I think its because Kellogg and Chicago students are the only ones who still frequent this board. We can always go away if you guys want...

Agold, thats the point, everyone else is building theirs now so Kellogg's view is they will be last so they have the chance to one up everyone.

Back on topic...these rankings arent terrible overall. Its almost the same top 20 as USnews...just a few real surprises like southern methodist and yale. However, if you dont look at the order as an exact representation but more of a tier look they are pretty good.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
When will the new Kellogg building be open to new students, i.e. which will be the lucky class?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
sonibubu wrote:
When will the new Kellogg building be open to new students, i.e. which will be the lucky class?

Not us, not you...probably at least another 3 or 4 years for it to be built.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [0]
Concentration: Real Estate Development
Schools:Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
 Q42  V35
Send PM
agold wrote:
riverripper wrote:

For Columbia I'm pretty sure that the rumors were confirmed that they will be getting an new campus at Manhattanville.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Hey now, I still frequent this board, so Haas is represented. :wink:

Speaking of buildings, Haas is still in the fundraising mode right now, and rumors from many sources say that we should have enough to *start* building an new building (and expand the class) in 5 years. I guess that'll make Haas have the newest building (even though it's more of an addition than a replacement) :P
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Concentration: Finance - Real Estate
Schools:Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Send PM
agold wrote:
riverripper wrote:

Dont bother about the new building from CBS! They wont have enough space. Its in the middle of freakin Manhattan for crying out loud.

(In case u guys have not noticed, I am still mad at CBS for rejecting me in the ED round - shame on u CBS!)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
agold wrote:

I feel like a rankings thread is an appropriate place to have a rah rah session. At the end of the day, rankings are just the ultimate rah rah fun and games. Why not have a candid discussion on how actual factors impact subjective rankings?

Also, I'd rather have a rah rah session than a school bashing session. You're right - every school has its strengths and benefits. What better way to hear about both than from current students?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5