GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Jun 2018, 09:17

LIVE NOW:

Tips for Your Best Possible Application - Live Chat with Tuck Admissions | Click Here to JOIN!

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which of the following lines in the xy-plane does not

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge
Which of the following lines in the xy-plane does not [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 12 Nov 2017, 07:18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

76% (00:36) correct 24% (00:46) wrong based on 486 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Which of the following lines in the xy-plane does not contain any point with integers as both coordinates?

A. \(y=x\)

B. \(y=x+\frac{1}{2}\)

C. \(Y=x+5\)

D. \(y=\frac{1}{2}*x\)

E. \(y=\frac{1}{2}*x +5\)

http://mymbadreamz.blogspot.com

Originally posted by mymbadreamz on 31 Mar 2012, 05:43.
Last edited by carcass on 12 Nov 2017, 07:18, edited 1 time in total.
Edited by Carcass
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V
Re: Which of the following lines in the xy-plane does not [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2012, 05:47
mymbadreamz wrote:
Which of the following lines in the xy-plane does not contain any point with integers as both coordinates?

A. y=x
B. y=x+1/2
C. Y=x+5
D. y=x*1/2
E. y=x/2 +5

The answer is y=x+1/2, since for any integer value of x, y becomes integer and a half: .

Answer: B.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2018, 04:12
Bunuel wrote:
mymbadreamz wrote:

A. y=x
B. y=x+1/2
C. Y=x+5
D. y=x*1/2
E. y=x/2 +5

The answer is y=x+1/2, since for any integer value of x, y becomes integer and a half: .

Answer: B.

Bunuel :) what does this question want? :? I cant understand ...
1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2018, 04:20
dave13 wrote:
what does this question want? :? I cant understand ...

Hey dave13 ,

Question is saying if you draw the graph of the equation given in the options, which of the graph will not have both x and y coordinates as integers.

Does that make sense?

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - Click here.

NEW VISA FORUM - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - Click here.

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

2 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
V
GPA: 3.12
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2018, 04:23
This question wants us to find a point (x,y) such that both x any y are not integers.

Evaluating answer options, we get

A. y=x: Here, if the x coordinate is an integer, so will the y coordinate be an integer
B. y=x+1/2: Whatever integer value we choose for x, y will not be an integer
C. Y=x+5: Here, if the x coordinate is an integer, so will the y coordinate be an integer
D. y=x*1/2: Here we have a case when x = 2, y = 1 and the point will have both coordinates as integers.
E. y=x/2 +5: Here, if x=3, the value of y is 6. Again both the coordinates are integers.

Therefore, Option B(y=x+1/2) is the only line which cannot have both coordinates as integers

You've got what it takes, but it will take everything you've got

SC Moderator
D
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2018, 07:33
dave13 wrote:
mymbadreamz wrote:

A. y=x
B. y=x+1/2
C. Y=x+5
D. y=x*1/2
E. y=x/2 +5

Bunuel :) what does this question want? :? I cant understand ...

dave13 , I'm just expanding a little on the two excellent answers above, because you mentioned that you knew this slope-intercept equation for a line.

y's value depends on x. For every x, there is only one y.

So you can plug in an integer for x, as Bunuel and pushpitkc noted, and get a y value.*

The result for each option, as abhimahna noted, will give you a point on the line as if it were graphed. As he also noted, one of the answers' coordinates, if graphed, will NOT be (x,y) = (integer, integer)

For options B, D, and E, which have x/2, try x = 0 and x = 2 (or any even integer).
Is y an integer?

For A and C, you can use x = 0 (or just note that y = b). Is y an integer?

Answer B will never yield (x,y) = (integer, integer).

Answer B) y = x + 1/2
x = 0, y = 1/2 (y = b)
x = 1, y = 1 1/2
x = 2, y = 2 1/2
As Bunuel and pushpitkc explain, adding 1/2 to integer x will never yield y = integer.

Answer B

* In all the equations, some of the x values will not be integers. Example: y = x. If x = 1/2, y = 1/2. But if x = 0,1,2,3 etc., y = 0,1,2,3. Those coordinates ARE (integer, integer). Not what the prompt wants.
In one of the equations, however, when x IS an integer, y can never be an integer. In all the other equations, you can find an x value whose y value IS an integer. If you can find a y value that is an integer, that answer is disqualified.

In the depths of winter, I finally learned
that within me there lay an invincible summer.

-- Albert Camus, "Return to Tipasa"

Which of the following lines in the xy-plane does not   [#permalink] 08 Mar 2018, 07:33

Which of the following lines in the xy-plane does not

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap