Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 13:15 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 13:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 199 [18]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 258 [0]
Given Kudos: 1023
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15268 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: While is true that effects of disease have been overlooked in its hist [#permalink]
Expert Reply
The OA is correct and explanations provided in the thread appear sufficient. If there are any specific questions, please post them here and then click again on the "Request Expert Reply" button – users are requested not to click the button without posting their queries.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 530 Q45 V20
GPA: 3.91
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: While is true that effects of disease have been overlooked in its hist [#permalink]
sayantanc2k wrote:
The OA is correct and explanations provided in the thread appear sufficient. If there are any specific questions, please post them here and then click again on the "Request Expert Reply" button – users are requested not to click the button without posting their queries.

Hi, I have a doubt with D. It is assumed that when two different locations are susceptible to any disease then both locations should fall down at the same time and since this is not the case, so OA is given as D. But we don't have any information about the size of the kingdom. Say for example, if the kingdom is as big as a country like India, then both the people of Kashmir (The north end) and people of Kanyakumari(The South end) are less likely to get affected simultaneously if the disease first outbreaks in Kashmir(The North end) even though the people of the two locations are susceptible to the disease to the same extent. It will surely take a lot of time for the disease to spread out to the Southern end from the Northern end and it might be possible that by the time the Southern end gets affected, the Northern end would already have been collapsed.

In my opinion, A is the best choice because this option is saying that when there was no violence, there was no significant change in population. So this indicates that violence might be the only reason for the collapse of the kingdom.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15268 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
arunavamunshi1988 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:

Hi, I have a doubt with D. It is assumed that when two different locations are susceptible to any disease then both locations should fall down at the same time and since this is not the case, so OA is given as D. But we don't have any information about the size of the kingdom. Say for example, if the kingdom is as big as a country like India, then both the people of Kashmir (The north end) and people of Kanyakumari(The South end) are less likely to get affected simultaneously if the disease first outbreaks in Kashmir(The North end) even though the people of the two locations are susceptible to the disease to the same extent. It will surely take a lot of time for the disease to spread out to the Southern end from the Northern end and it might be possible that by the time the Southern end gets affected, the Northern end would already have been collapsed.

In my opinion, A is the best choice because this option is saying that when there was no violence, there was no significant change in population. So this indicates that violence might be the only reason for the collapse of the kingdom.

Whether the introduced diseases were contagious or not is not the point - it is as well possible that the diseases introduced were not contagious at all. Option D states that both north and south were equally susceptible, thus both should have collapsed approximately at the same time if diseases were the cause, since new diseases were introduced in the whole region ( i.e. in both north and south).

Option A implies that during the pause the condition did not appreciably worsen - however the condition may have worsened, and it is possible that the worsening may have been caused by the new diseases. It is also possible that the new diseases were the real cause of the collapse of the kingdom, though it might might not have worsened the condition so fast as to detect in a significant proportion during the pause. Thus A is not the correct option.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5138 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
arunavamunshi1988 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:

I totally agree.

D is a lame answer. What does degree of susceptibility add in this context?

From what I can see, the prompt seems to convey that the disease and the violence were both brought by the explorers. Even if the north were just as susceptible as the south, that the disease would not be present in the north before the explorers were makes total sense.

Moreover, even if the disease were not brought by explorers, its showing up in one area before it showed up in another does not depend on the second area being less susceptible. Disease can start spreading in one area before it moves to another, even if both areas are in a way equally susceptible.

D is actually in a way like C, which talks about the susceptibility to attack rather than about the actual events or about the effects of any attack.

A makes more sense than D does. When the violence stopped, the decline stopped, or a least the condition did not "appreciably worsen." Hence the decline was caused by the violence.

Originally posted by MartyTargetTestPrep on 08 Dec 2016, 07:42.
Last edited by MartyTargetTestPrep on 10 Dec 2016, 23:01, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
So question A is incorrect because of appreciably, rite? I see the reasoning in A quite resembles that of many other correct options (C-->E, no C --> no E), but the word appreciably, as many point out, can break the argument, giving the possibility that Efffect (population declines) still happens while Cause does not, just not to the appreciable extent. So it may slightly weaken the argument (no C--> E still).

But Is this from GMATPrep? Can anybody confirm? If it is really from GMATPrep, i will try to learn from it but if it's not, maybe it's much better to forget the problem.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5138 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
hanminhee wrote:
So question A is incorrect because of appreciably, rite? I see the reasoning in A quite resembles that of many other correct options (C-->E, no C --> no E), but the word appreciably, as many point out, can break the argument, giving the possibility that Efffect (population declines) still happens while Cause does not, just not to the appreciable extent. So it may slightly weaken the argument (no C--> E still).

But Is this from GMATPrep? Can anybody confirm? If it is really from GMATPrep, i will try to learn from it but if it's not, maybe it's much better to forget the problem.

I just checked and, thank goodness, this question is from GMAT Free rather than GMAT Prep. The wording and logic could use some work, and in its current form this question is not of much use.

Too funny. When I thought it to be from GMAT Prep, I was def a bit thrown off. Next time I won't be so quick to believe what the tags say.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Send PM
Hi, In option D, I get the fact that if we put in an assumption that both the regions were equally prone to the disease carried by conquerors and despite that, if South region fell first then there is some factor other than the disease is in play, which has caused this downfall.

However, the susceptibility of getting the disease only comes into the picture, when there is an agent carrying the disease. However, I do not know, that there were any conquerors who were present in the Northern region when they decided to attack south. Because if the attack and the gateway to the Kindom were through the south, then it is expected that the disease will spread in the south first and then move along the way to the north. And thus, making it difficult for me to reject the argument that not the disease but the violence was the major contributor for the downfall.

Will appreciate your thoughts to help me better understand the flaw in my reasoning.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts