Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:24 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8534 [28]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:CBS
 Q50  V37
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [12]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [6]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1833 [1]
Given Kudos: 370
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Health Care)
Send PM
Re: Wild cheetahs live in the African grasslands. Previous estimates of th [#permalink]
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Re: Wild cheetahs live in the African grasslands. Previous estimates of th [#permalink]
if D is the answer can someone please explain how the passage supports the claim that the size of grassland and cheetah population is not increasing, the passage doesn't give any information on the trend
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
It not an easy task to get to the right conclusion here, thanks to the wordy premises ;)
Facts and premises are explained well in above post. I will go for an example case :)

from the 1st statement it is clear that though Cheetahs population was less, the grassland area was good enough,if not great.

Case1; in 10 sqkm area there are 20 cheetahs. Natural disaster-->very low chances that many cheetahs getting effected, but still the effect is huge as population is less.

Case2: Huge reduction in grassland area: 5 sqkm existing. Chettahs-16 (less than earlier 20)
But here if natural disaster occurs, more cheetahs will get affected as they are confined in less area to save their lives. and at the same time more cheetah's are influenced by the disaster coz of limitations.

So I went with D as it brings out this case :)

If it is not clear, plz let me know, i will try up presenting in a better way.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 140 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mahendru1992 wrote:
Okay what I don't understand is the use of the words in the short term . Let me explain:-
We already know that the previous estimates were wrong and way too small to survive a natural disaster. We also know that the current population barely meets the previous estimates. Thus, we can infer that today, the current population is incapable of surviving a natural disaster. So why the use of in the short term. These words were the only I reason I discounted this statement

Hi mahendru1992,

Happy to help. What you're doing is saying that the information in the prompt supports the idea that the Wild Cheetah won't survive a natural disaster beyond just in the short-term. So how is it that we can only infer that its short-term?

The distinction comes down to knowing EXACTLY what this question is asking for. This is an inference question, which means we're asked to find an answer that HAS TO BE TRUE.

It comes down to this: just ask yourself, "do we know for sure that the Wild Cheetah population is incapable of surviving a natural disaster in the short-term?" If you're thinking the incapability is even further than short-term, than the answer to this question would HAVE TO BE: YES!

To use a different example to demonstrate the exact same logic why D has to be right: let's say we know that somebody ran at least 10 miles. Do we know that the person ran at least 1 mile? Yes. Same exact logic. If the data supports a greater range, you can infer a smaller part of that range.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 140 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
mahendru1992 wrote:
AllenEMPOWERgmat wrote:
mahendru1992 wrote:
Okay what I don't understand is the use of the words in the short term . Let me explain:-
We already know that the previous estimates were wrong and way too small to survive a natural disaster. We also know that the current population barely meets the previous estimates. Thus, we can infer that today, the current population is incapable of surviving a natural disaster. So why the use of in the short term. These words were the only I reason I discounted this statement

Hi mahendru1992,

Happy to help. What you're doing is saying that the information in the prompt supports the idea that the Wild Cheetah won't survive a natural disaster beyond just in the short-term. So how is it that we can only infer that its short-term?

The distinction comes down to knowing EXACTLY what this question is asking for. This is an inference question, which means we're asked to find an answer that HAS TO BE TRUE.

It comes down to this: just ask yourself, "do we know for sure that the Wild Cheetah population is incapable of surviving a natural disaster in the short-term?" If you're thinking the incapability is even further than short-term, than the answer to this question would HAVE TO BE: YES!

To use a different example to demonstrate the exact same logic why D has to be right: let's say we know that somebody ran at least 10 miles. Do we know that the person ran at least 1 mile? Yes. Same exact logic. If the data supports a greater range, you can infer a smaller part of that range.

Thanks for answering allenempowergmat
But if we do take a parallel example, shouldn't the analogy be if the person ran atleast 1 mile, could he have ran 10 miles? And the answer is of course he couldn't or maybe he did, but we don't know for sure.

Hi mahendru1992,

I think you may have mis-read. The fact was that he ran AT LEAST 10 miles. If he ran at least 10 miles, do we know that he ran at least 1? Of course. See the distinction?
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 140 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mahendru1992 wrote:
AllenEMPOWERgmat wrote:

Hi mahendru1992,

I think you may have mis-read. The fact was that he ran AT LEAST 10 miles. If he ran at least 10 miles, do we know that he ran at least 1? Of course. See the distinction?

Hi, sorry for troubling you, but I don't get it.
Okay, so what you mean is that if in the short term we know that the cheetah population wouldn't survive, then it's obvious that we know that the population wouldn't survive today per se. Am I right?
But what I'm trying to say is that the argument says that today we know that the population wouldn't survive a natural disaster but we don't know anything about the future, even if it's a short one. I mean what if some restoration process occurs which helps in increasing the population or what if they bring other cheetahs from other countries or reserves. This doesn't make sense for a short term, but i'm sure there are other 'what ifs' that do qualify. Don't you think we're assuming too much?
Thanks for bearing with me

Hi mahendru1992,

No trouble at all. Let's lay out all of the facts once more, and you'll see how this goes beyond JUST the present moment:

Previous estimates of the cheetah to survive a natural disaster in the African grasslands region were too small. That means we know the number needs to be bigger.
The current population barely meets the previous estimates. That means that the current population is WAY below what it needs to survive if it doesn't meet the previous estimates which were already too low.
At present, there is not enough African grassland to support a wild cheetah population larger than the current population. This tells us that there is not even enough grassland to support a population any bigger than it is today.

Given those facts, is there any way the wild cheetah could survive a natural disaster of the short-term (say the next few months, maybe even a year?). No way. That's why D has to be right.

I think that the source of your doubt has to do with your definition of short-term. If you were thinking of it as something on the order of say 2-5 years, then, you're right, we can't infer that.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 243 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.26
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
tuanquang269 wrote:
This is my new project: Renew Old Thread => Back to basic => Just try It and give your reasoning
The topic will be sticky for 2 days from starting

Wild cheetahs live in the African grasslands. Previous estimates of the size that the wild cheetah population must be in order for these animals to survive a natural disaster in the African grasslands region were too small, and the current population barely meets the previous estimates, At present, however, there is not enough African grassland to support a wild cheetah population larger than the current population.

The statements above, if true, most strongly support which one of the following conclusions?

(A) Previous estimates of the size of the existing wild cheetah population were inaccurate.
(B) The cheetah's natural habitat is decreasing in size at a faster rate than is the size of the wild cheetah population.
(C) The principal threat to the endangered wild cheetah population is neither pollution nor hunting, but a natural disaster.
(D) In the short term, the wild cheetah population will be incapable of surviving a natural disaster in the African grasslands.
(E) In regions where land is suitable for cheetah habitation, more natural disasters are expected to occur during the next decade than occurred during the past decade.

While I understand what this question is trying to say, and I answered it correctly, I think this is a poor question. Is it really true that the population would be INCAPABLE of surviving a natural disaster? Even if there is a .000001% chance of the population surviving, it still isn't incapable of surviving. Absolute language on CR questions is usually a major indicator that an answer choice is wrong. I think D would be a lot better stated, and more accurate, if it said "In the short term, the wild cheetah population would probably not survive a natural disaster in the African grasslands."
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kudos