Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:51 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619232 [4]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [2]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619232 [1]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Re: With a total population of less than five thousand and fewer well-trai [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
With a total population of less than five thousand and fewer well-trained soldiers than ever before, the army base is still unprepared for a real war.

(A) less than five thousand and fewer

(B) lower than five thousand and less

(C) lesser than five thousand and fewer

(D) fewer than five thousand and less

(E) fewer than five thousand and of fewer

MANHATTAN REVIEW OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

The sentence has to do with the idiomatic usage of words for countable and noncountable nouns. Do you say: there are ‘less than five people here’ or ‘lower than five people here’, or fewer than five people here? Because you are referring to a number, five thousand in this sentence, you would use less. This is because you are essentially saying that something is less than a number. ‘Lesser than’ is incorrect. That leaves you with choice A. Note that soldiers are countable so you must use ‘fewer’ to refer to the soldiers, not ‘less’. Choice A is the correct answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: With a total population of less than five thousand and fewer well-trai [#permalink]
Option A is correct.

For the same reason as stated above.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [1]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
aomundada wrote:
tarunanandani wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
With a total population of less than five thousand and fewer well-trained soldiers than ever before, the army base is still unprepared for a real war.

+1 for A.

Population is uncountable noun so we need 'less than 5000' and soldiers is countable noun so we need 'fewer than ever before'. Also, 'lesser than...' is unidiomatic so option C is incorrect. Hence, A is the right choice.

Thanks for the explanation. Can you please tell me the right idioms used with less and lesser?

Posted from my mobile device

Hi,
Lesser is generally used as: 'Lesser of the two evils'; 'to a lesser degree/extent'.
'More or less' when used in comparisons follow the idiom: 'X more than Y' or 'X less than Y'.
You can visit this blog post from Magoosh to learn more about comparisons, More vs Greater and Less vs Fewer: https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-comparisons-more-vs-greater-and-less-vs-fewer/

Hope this helps!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 453 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

Since we dont know the fixed number here, we will use less than and not fewer than

Fewer is used for countable nouns, this is the reason why it is fewer well-trained soldiers than ever before

For the second part we know that initially what was the number.

A
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts