GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Aug 2018, 08:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Woodrow Wilson was referring to the liberal idea of the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Woodrow Wilson was referring to the liberal idea of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2017, 05:29
Can someone please tell me how can we tag this RC as sub 600 level?

I didn't even get a single word of this passage. I realized a similar passage came on my last official GMAT.

Are these really sub 600? :o

I started my RC prep today and this 1st passage has demotivated me completely. :(

Please someone help me completely decode this passage.

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

BSchool Forum Moderator
D
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2017, 07:21
Hello abhimahna,

I think you will start ignoring my posts from today :P , since I have been asking for so much help lately with my advanced studies.

Coming back to the passage at hand. I don't really understand how this passage "criticises the inflexibility of American economic mythology".

--In the first para, the author introduces "maximum freedom" and "openness".
--The very next line states that : "Fascination with this ideal has made Americans defy the “Old World”". --> This means that americans are indeed interested in change. ---Another line that supports this thinking is "We did not base our system on property but opportunity—which meant we based it not on stability but on mobility".
--Another supportive evidence: "But Americans imagined a condition in which speculators, self-makers, runners are always using the new opportunities given by our land".

--In the second para, author calls "reform" futile, but still states that "There is no attempt to call off the race. Since our only stability is change, America seems not to honor the quiet work that achieves social interdependence and stability"
--The people are ashamed of their past but still he states that "in the Wonderland race we must all run".

In short what I understood from the passage is that the author is mainly talking about the old vs new thoughts. I don't really understand how the main point of passage is the criticism of American mythology. That's is just discussed in the second passage for a few lines. But, passage as a whole is talking about the old vs new school of thoughts.

Could you please point out the holes in my understanding because I am clearly missing the point here.

Regards

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!

Preparing for RC my way

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2017, 06:14
I found the language of the passage really complex and highly convoluted. The more questions I answered, I feel the less I actually understood the passage. I request someone to summarize the passage with special emphasis on question 7 and 9.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Woodrow Wilson was referring to the liberal idea of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2017, 20:20
piyush1995 wrote:
I found the language of the passage really complex and highly convoluted. The more questions I answered, I feel the less I actually understood the passage. I request someone to summarize the passage with special emphasis on question 7 and 9.

As described in the Ultimate RC Guide for Beginners, it helps to get engaged and think about the PURPOSE of each paragraph. You might not understand all of the details in the first paragraph, but force yourself to think about WHY it is there. What is the author trying to accomplish?

I might not get everything the author says, but I see that he/she is comparing two drastically different things. The "Old World" economics are described by words/phrases such as settled possessiveness, cupidity of retention, a 'status quo' defended, property, haves and have-nots, non-starters, stability, and authority. Meanwhile, the "liberal idea of the economic market" in America is described with words/phrases such as unsettling deprivation, cupidity of seizure, 'status quo' attacked, a wheel spinning faster and faster, opportunity (not property), and mobility (not stability), with speculators/self-starters/runners being economic leaders and agents of change.

These comparisons are not all clear to me, but instead of trying to muscle my way through the facts (the what), let me think about the purpose (the why) of the first paragraph. The author is clearly trying to compare the "settled" and "stable" state of "Old World" economics to the instability and hectic nature of the free enterprise system in America. In other words, the first paragraph compares the highly-regulated and manipulated race of the Old World to the hectic and scrambled race of the free enterprise system.

The purpose of the second paragraph is to explain how things like reform, serving others, and helping those in need have been hindered because America can't let go of the "race". American legends glorify the race and those that run it but not those who quietly keep the system working and create social interdependence and stability. I might not understand all of the details of the second paragraph, but I see that the author is explaining problems with America's economic "racing".

Next, ask yourself, "What was the purpose of the entire passage?" Again, the point is to get engaged and think about what you are reading. Trying to think about WHY everything is there is more important than understanding all of the details.

See if that helps you tackle questions 7 and 9!

To post additional questions not already addressed in this thread, feel free to use the request verbal experts' reply button. Try to be as specific as possible and to let us know your thoughts so far. Thanks, and welcome to GMAT Club!!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2017, 13:12
A really amazing read, didn't even feel like a RC till I did the questions :P.
got 5/9 (TERRIBLE) I agree, but I got why my answers were wrong except for this one:

According to the passage, “Old World” values were based on
(A) ability
(B) property--> The only word which cues to this is 'settled possessiveness' and I don't understand how it is property - it can also mean hierarchy 'cause you 'possess' it. Would love an expert opinion on this
(C) family connections
(D) guild hierarchies
(E) education
Manager
Manager
S
Woodrow Wilson was referring to the liberal idea of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2017, 19:45
GMATNinja wrote:

See if that helps you tackle questions 7 and 9!

To post additional questions not already addressed in this thread, feel free to use the request verbal experts' reply button. Try to be as specific as possible and to let us know your thoughts so far. Thanks, and welcome to GMAT Club!!

Hi GMATNinja,

7. It can be inferred from the passage that Woodrow Wilson’s ideas about the economic market
(A) encouraged those who “make the system work” (lines 45-46)
(B) perpetuated traditional legends about America
(C) revealed the prejudices of a man born wealthy
(D) foreshadowed the stock market crash of 1929
(E) began a tradition of presidential proclamations on economics

Initially i picked C for Q7, but in the second passage:

"....There is no pride in being an employee (Wilson asked for a return to the time when everyone was an employer).... "
hence the Ans
(B) perpetuated traditional legends about America.

Please let me know if my reasoning is correct.

Thanks and regadrs
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2017, 20:46
TheRzS wrote:
Hi GMATNinja,

7. It can be inferred from the passage that Woodrow Wilson’s ideas about the economic market
(A) encouraged those who “make the system work” (lines 45-46)
(B) perpetuated traditional legends about America
(C) revealed the prejudices of a man born wealthy
(D) foreshadowed the stock market crash of 1929
(E) began a tradition of presidential proclamations on economics

Initially i picked C for Q7, but in the second passage:

"....There is no pride in being an employee (Wilson asked for a return to the time when everyone was an employer).... "
hence the Ans
(B) perpetuated traditional legends about America.

Please let me know if my reasoning is correct.

Thanks and regadrs

That's right! The sentence you highlighted, along with the preceding sentence ("There is, in our legends, no heroism of the office clerk, no stable industrial work force of the people who actually make the system work.") indicate that (B) is the best answer.

ssyohee wrote:
For question 3, why C is a better answer over E?

Thank you so much!

So we are looking for someone who acts as a "regulative hand"--an authority that can call things to a halt. This would accurately describe a judge in a courtroom because the judge can regulate the trial, give orders to the attorneys/witnesses/jury/observers, decide when there will be breaks, and, sometimes, end the trial altogether.

However, I'll admit that this isn't a great question, and I don't think you'd see something like this on the GMAT. This is not an official passage, so I wouldn't worry too much about this question!

www.gmatninja.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2018, 21:17
I started today's prep with a plan of trying at least 4 700 level RC passages and ended up facing this first. This kind of passage is real dampener :roll:

Please give kudos if it helps

Resources
Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT ! ! ! | SC Blogs by Magoosh | How to improve your verbal score | Things i wish i could've done earlier | Ultimate Q51 Guide

Re: Woodrow Wilson was referring to the liberal idea of the &nbs [#permalink] 09 Jul 2018, 21:17

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 28 posts ] 

Woodrow Wilson was referring to the liberal idea of the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap