Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:28 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Re: working..while doing a full time MBA? [#permalink]
Bookmarks
I have a classmate who is working while doing her MBA. She also considers 5 hr of sleep to be a "good night's rest".

I honestly have no idea how she does it. I think you'd have to sacrifice some of the benefits of b-school: socializing, networking, your learning during classes.

RF
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks RF
Was she the only one who does this there?

5 hours of rest?? Hmm..I just had an 8 hour deep sleep..not a good sign.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
She's the only one I know of.

I do know of a few 2nd years who work "part-time" for the company they interned with over the summer, but that's much different. The 2nd year is much less demanding in terms of time and the "jobs" are more like projects that require 10 hr/week or so.

RF
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I know people who are working part time, 1-2 days a week, but thats very rare. It depends on how your program is structured and what your taking for classes. I dont think working fulltime and going to school fulltime would be possible. Even if you could schedule classes at night meetings and everything else typically takes place during the day. Plus you have social activities and homework and exams...so school often keeps you as busier than working 40hrs a week.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I see..cool, thx guys. Good to have some students' perspectives there.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
i think its a bad idea but its mainly depends on you. my many frnds doing MBA full time and they do part time job so its mainly depends on you how you manage
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.53
WE:Marketing (Real Estate)
Send PM
Hey! I just wanted to resurrect this thread and see if anyone has an opinion on how feasible working part-time while doing a full-time MBA is. While I haven't been accepted anywhere yet, my current employer has floated the idea of me working on a freelance or retainer basis if I do get accepted, and I'm seriously mulling it over and would welcome your thoughts. Right now my team is scattered across the country, so most of our work is done by email/phone anyway. Actually being available during regular business hours all the time wouldn't be a problem.

So, how many hours per week could you work freelance without missing out on content from MBA classes, socializing, networking, etc.? 10? 15? 20?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Yes and its tough
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I was pondering the same question. From my experience, it sounds like if you must work, it is good to find something where you can have a really flexible schedule that doesn't require too much mental/emotional investment. Since this will be two of the most important years of your career, it seems pretty crucial to put every effort to succeed in the program and make meaningful connections. At the same time, you have to pay the bills, though. It seems really tricky to me!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
The students who are pursuing full time MBA doesn't having any time to do the part time work, it affects mentally on students.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Mannheim (A)
GMAT Date: 01-25-2014
GPA: 3.01
WE:Sales (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Can anyone comment on working while doing a full time online MBA (such as Penn State iMBA)?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
SharkWeek wrote:
Can anyone comment on working while doing a full time online MBA (such as Penn State iMBA)?

Isn't the point of an online MBA to continue working while pursuing it? If you weren't going to work, why not do an in person full time program?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
For a one year MBA, it's almost impossible to even have part time work, unless it's something that you could do in your own time. This is due to the intense class schedules and group works where usually the other team members would want you to contribute in the work. For a 2 years MBA, well...maybe it's doable.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Send PM
If you're going to go back to the same employers it shouldn't be a problem as you wouldn't need to focus on recruiting.

If you need to focus your time and energy on other things such as recruiting, it's probably a case by case basis.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I know this is an older post, but doing MBA homework now. Decided to Google working full time, MBA full time and this post showed.

Well, I can say this - I am mentally fatigued most of the time, usually finishing my school projects at the 11th hour, juggling the one child I have left (oldest one finally in college, but luckily other kid 50% of time), and right now very tired while I attempt to gather any energy leftover to work on even a small amount of HW.

I work as a Senior Project Manager and still have to have my brain functioning during the day. I have no idea how I do this, but I am.
My program is also online and works for me. As to attending a brick and mortar school, at this point in my life, would not coordinate well with schedule.

So if you want no life, go ahead and do it!! :lol:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Hi guys, I have an opposite question - do you know anybody who is NOT working during their part-time MBA studies? Is it a requirement to have a full-time job? I see that it is much easier to get to part-time program (GMAT is lower and acceptance rates are higher). I just started thinking about part-time, so if anybody knows the reality - please share! Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
working..while doing a full time MBA? [#permalink]
AlexIV wrote:
Hi guys, I have an opposite question - do you know anybody who is NOT working during their part-time MBA studies? Is it a requirement to have a full-time job? I see that it is much easier to get to part-time program (GMAT is lower and acceptance rates are higher). I just started thinking about part-time, so if anybody knows the reality - please share! Thanks

You will have to explain yourself on why you went to part-time MBA program and had no work experience during that time to your future employers. Besides, I always thought that part-time MBA was more for those who need the qualification to move to a higher position in their current organization or to move up to the next level in the current field of work rather than for someone who is looking to switch career path or jump ahead significantly in their careers. Although I am not an expert at this matter, my common sense and logic tell me it would not work too well for you in the future.

Why not just study hard and get into a full-time program of your choice? :)
GMAT Club Bot
working..while doing a full time MBA? [#permalink]
 1   2