Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:57 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [2]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.87
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: 630 to 660 then 650?? :( [#permalink]
Kudos
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi plasticplastic,

With a December 7th Test Date, you have about 5 weeks of study time. While you could potentially make some significant improvements during that time, you'll have to make some significant improvements to how you 'see' (and respond to) the Exam. To that end, now that you've taken the Official GMAT 3 times, you have to try to make your practice CATs 'match up' a bit better with how you take the Official GMAT (for example, you don't take your GMAT in a quiet, empty room, so you shouldn't take your CATs that way).

1) What is your exact Score goal?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Hey Rich!

I'll definitely take in your advice about ensuring that my practice exams are taken in more similar conditions as the actual exam... have been trying to get more used to wearing those earplugs that they give you as the sensation of them was quite distracting during the exam!

To answer your follow up questions:

1) What is your exact Score goal? - I'm hoping to get a 690 total; I think it'll be possible for me to get a Q47 again and hopefully push up my V score to a 37 or 38
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week? I think i'm managing about 24-26 hours a week of study until Dec 6 (my exam is Dec 7)... that'll be about another 90 hours of studying from today until my exam... I hope it's enough.

My strategy right now is to go back to the basics with CR and SC. I've redone the Manhattan Prep guides for both and have relearned a lot of rules and skills that I think have become rusty with time. For practice Qs, I've been doing a lot of questions on gmatclub.com and forcing myself to try and explain my rationale in responses on the forum.

With Quant I have been focusing on just ironing out the silly mistakes by drilling down on Algebra and Arithmetic - I want to make sure that I am not missing any problems that deal with these two fundamentals. I just downloaded my ESR and there was a big difference between my PS and DS scores, so I have focusing all my energy on PS questions. I have attempted a few questions on gmatclub.com but am having trouble navigating the Q pool to pull out relevant questions, so I've gone back to Magoosh to seek out relevant tutorials and practice questions.

Any other suggestions on how I can make these last few weeks count would be greatly appreciated!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi plasticplastic,

You're closer to a 690+ than you probably realize, but you'll still need to make some fundamental changes to how you answer GMAT questions to pick up those missing points. From what you describe, it's not clear what exactly (if anything) you're doing differently right now. If you're simply going through the same materials that you used before and answering questions in the exact same ways that you did before, then you'll almost certainly continue to score in the mid-600s.

Rich

Hmm, thanks for the analyses, Rich! You're probably right as I just a Veritas CAT exam (I've never used any of their content before, so all the questions were completely new to me) and I scored a 660 (Q46 V35). This just confirms that my previous CAT exams were inflated by being familiar with the content.

Do you have any suggestions on what kinds of fundamental changes I need to make when answering GMAT questions? I understand I need to fundamentally shift the way I approach/see problems, but I'm unsure where to start... or how to start, especially when it comes to Quant. My progress in Quant for quite a few months now!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
plasticplastic, sorry that I'm late to the party! You've been writing a lot of good stuff in the verbal forums lately, so I suspect pretty strongly that you've already read most of my garbage. But just in case, here's an article that discusses reasons why your GMAT score might not match your actual score: https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 46658.html. Hopefully, some of it might ring a bell, especially the stuff about consistency.

And maybe check out those beginners' guides to SC, RC, & CR -- probably too basic for you at this stage, but might give you a sense of the big-picture thinking that could help you on that side of things.

I'll look forward to a happier debrief next time around!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
Send PM
Well, practice makes perfect. Studying is not fun! Maybe you missed a lot from the more complicated explanations to problems. You see, it is very important to try to understand the structure of some problems since even though you will find different questions on the real GMAT, there are some patterns that you need to recognize in order to consistently answer questions correctly. You need to tackle your weaknesses -whichever they are- by practicing a lot! Keep redoing problems until you get them right within less than 2 minutes (but more importantly until you understand the problem and the solution 100%) - and let me tell you that this is not fun at all. It sucks but that's how it is. You're score is high enough already to demonstrate that you can do much better. Practice and practice more; don't just do a lot of problems and exams but also study them in great detail. Also, progress steadily - master easy questions first and then proceed to medium level questions and so on; otherwise, you may miss easy or middle questions that will harm your score a lot!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi plasticplastic,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day.

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Your 3 Official Score results are remarkably similar to one another - and they show that you essentially performed the same way all 3 times you took the GMAT (about 650 +/- a few points). Thus, you clearly handle certain aspects of the consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes.

You seem to understand that retaking CATs that you've already taken usually leads to unrealistic, inflated scores. Most of the CATs that you've taken over the last month were 'retakes', so we have to ignore those score results. Beyond that issue though, I have a few questions about how you took those CATs:

1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you took your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?

Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. If your score goal is 690, then you're closer to that goal than you probably realize - but there are clearly some changes that will have to be made to how you 'see' (and respond to) this Exam before you'll be able to hit that goal.

Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi plasticplastic,

A 660/Q47 is a strong score (it's a bit above the 80th percentile overall), so it could be enough to get you into your first-choice School. As such, a retest might not be necessary. While it's understandable that you would want to score higher (a certain percentage of Test Takers who score in the 700s "want" to score higher too), it's not clear whether that's needed or not.

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi plasticplastic,

With a December 7th Test Date, you have about 5 weeks of study time. While you could potentially make some significant improvements during that time, you'll have to make some significant improvements to how you 'see' (and respond to) the Exam. To that end, now that you've taken the Official GMAT 3 times, you have to try to make your practice CATs 'match up' a bit better with how you take the Official GMAT (for example, you don't take your GMAT in a quiet, empty room, so you shouldn't take your CATs that way).

1) What is your exact Score goal?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi plasticplastic,

You're closer to a 690+ than you probably realize, but you'll still need to make some fundamental changes to how you answer GMAT questions to pick up those missing points. From what you describe, it's not clear what exactly (if anything) you're doing differently right now. If you're simply going through the same materials that you used before and answering questions in the exact same ways that you did before, then you'll almost certainly continue to score in the mid-600s.

Rich
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts