It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 19:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

720 GMAT First Attempt - Debrief

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [2], given: 0

GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.75
720 GMAT First Attempt - Debrief [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2017, 06:40
This post received
KUDOS
Hi y'all,

I just finished the GMAT and scored (unofficially) 720 (Q49 V40), IR 7.

The two materials that I relied heavily on were the OG 17 (with the Quant and Verbal Review books) and "Ace the GMAT: Master the GMAT in 40 Days" by Brandon Royal.

My preparation schedule didn't really follow a format. Two months out, I was studying a few times a week for at most an hour. One month out, I stuck to a strict schedule of 2 - 3 hours a day. At first, I started sequentially through the OG's but as time went on I would skim through the book and only tackle problems I couldn't solve right away. When doing so, I would avoid looking at any answers as best I could. If I needed to spend 10 minutes cracking a question, so be it - independently finding the solution really develops the problem solving skills necessary to tackle unknowns quickly on the test. As time went on, I got a lot better at this.

One thing that I think is really important - you can't start with hard questions. I believed that if I kicked off my studying with 700 level questions, everything underneath that level of difficulty would be easy. For me, this wasn't the case - although I'm sure I was applying simple concepts in solving difficult problems, I found easy problems difficult because I couldn't recognize simple concepts in their basic forms. For example, ratio questions - I could solve difficult ones, but when a simple question of "What is the ratio of A/(A/B)?" or something to that extent came up, I would mess up the order of A:B.

The strategy that helped most was tackling every question in the guide - from easy to hard. In one 6 hour (or so) session, I did every single PS problem in the book, taking notes of where I messed up. Later, I would redo the problems I messed up. This process allowed me to work through the whole book and pick up everything I needed to tackle GMAT style questions.

Nevertheless, it takes time. I didn't know a thing when I started and the learning curve was discouraging. However, with time, things just got easier and stuff clicked. Studying is a matter of hours - if you are focused, I strongly believe that with enough dedication anyone is able to score where they want.

With respect to verbal, I didn't really study it.

I didn't take a GMAT course either. I don't think it is necessary if you have the time and willpower to go through the material yourself.

One thing I will also note - practice with GMAT style questions (GMATPrep and the OG). I like this website, but when I did the Quant CAT two weeks before the test, I didn't score anywhere near as high as I did on the GMAT. This is an excellent resource, but you need to familiarize yourself with the style of the material that you will see on the actual test.

Last edited by Seanbot1 on 21 Sep 2017, 06:44, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 2 [2], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GPA: 2.75
Re: 720 GMAT First Attempt - Debrief [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2017, 06:46
premprabhs111 wrote:
Wow someone with same score and same split. Congratulations on your success. What are you planning to do ? An Mba?

Definitely and MBA, but I'm not sure where.

My undergraduate GPA (engineering, mind you) sucked. It was maybe 2.75. My work experience, on the other hand, is great.

This score opens a few more doors and compensates for my less than stellar marks, so I've got to take a better look around now.

How about you?

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 42

GPA: 3.69
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2017, 06:57
I am in my final year of engineering. I have no work ex . I am planning to do a masters in management from the best possible schools like hec

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 42

BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 751 [0], given: 20

Concentration: General Management, Leadership
WE: Sales (Retail)
Premium Member CAT Tests
720 GMAT First Attempt - Debrief [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2017, 09:22
Hi Seanbot1

Congrats on the awesome score(especially in Verbal - without any preparation)
You are really lucky to be blessed with the knowledge to tackle this section,
with almost no preparation.

Please do give specific pointers with regard to each section(the process you
followed, especially in Reading Comprehension)

All the best for the application phase. Thanks in advance

Stay hungry, Stay foolish

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Class of 2020: Rotman Thread | Schulich Thread
Class of 2019: Sauder Thread

Kudos [?]: 751 [0], given: 20

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 84

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2017, 07:21
Nice, congrats Seanbot 1. I am also wrapping up my preparation at this time with the same materials and hope to say the same by next month.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 84

Re: 720 GMAT First Attempt - Debrief   [#permalink] 01 Oct 2017, 07:21

720 GMAT First Attempt - Debrief

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap