Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:28 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [5]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [2]
Given Kudos: 362
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [1]
Given Kudos: 362
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Re: 770 (Q50, V46) [#permalink]
Kudos
Thank you, especially the statements about quant and the general accuracy of the GMAT prep test are somewhat encouraging.

Really appreciate you sharing your thoughts and opinions!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 339 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
OGinNYC wrote:
Hi all,

I took the GMAT yesterday and was excited to score a 770 (Q50, V46)! I'm typically the type to just lurk without posting, but I found a lot of great advice on this forum before taking my GMAT and wanted to pay it forward.

Basic Background

I just graduated from undergrad and decided to take the GMAT now while I have some free time before starting work (and because I think I might forget how to study after a few months working). I haven't decided if I want to pursue an MBA, but since the score lasts for 5 years, I thought it was worth taking the GMAT.

Practice Scores

Kaplan 1: 740
Kaplan 2: 730
Kaplan 3: 740
Kaplan 4: 740
Kaplan 5: 740
MGMAT 1: 750
MGMAT 2: 770
MGMAT 3: 770
GMATPrep 1: 770
GMATPrep 2: 770

GMAT: 770

Good luck to all, and feel free to ask me any questions!

First of all, congrats on the awesome score!

A couple of pointers:
1) Interesting to note that you didn't mention anything about OG. Didn't you use it at all? Even for practice?
2) It would be useful if you could share the approximate dates of the practice tests. It'll help people understand your progress.
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5206 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
OGinNYC wrote:

- GMATPrep: these tests are by far the most reflective of the real test. I would say the actual GMAT Quant is a tad more difficult, but not by much, and the Verbal is spot on. Save your two free GMATPrep tests until the very end of your practicing. I think they give the most realistic prediction of your actual score.

- Kaplan: both Quant and Verbal are slightly harder than the actual test. I don't think the scores on these tests are well calibrated either (they seem to over-penalize for missing a "low" difficulty question, much more so than the actual GMAT would), but they are great practice.

- MGMAT: Quant is much harder than the actual test. Verbal can be either harder and easier depending on your draw of questions -- I find that the Verbal questions are not written super well, since many of the answer choices could be correct and you're often left with trying to find the one that is "most" correct from MGMAT's perspective. If you can get a good Quant score on these tests under the time constraints, you should be good to go for the real GMAT.

Takeaways

1. Kaplan GMAT prep book is good and I would highly recommend it
2. Take as many practice CATs, under realistic conditions, as possible before test day
3. Save your GMATPrep free CATs until the very end of your studying
4. As you do CATs and solve practice questions, create a list of Quant rules and Sentence Correction rules that you see pop up frequently; review this list often
5. Don't stress out too much on test day!

Good luck to all, and feel free to ask me any questions!

Congrats on getting a V46 and the 770 :thumbup:
As a non-native who suffers in Verbal it would be beneficial if
you could detail your Verbal preparation(especially in CR & SC)

Hope you now make it into your first choice B-School.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 670 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Send PM
770 (Q50, V46) [#permalink]
Hello OGinNYC

First of all congrats for your amazing score. V46 is truly amazing.

Can you please let us know the practice questions or sectional tests you used for Verbal apart from official guide's.

I am interested to know the strategy you used for RC section which is the Achilles heel for most of the test takers.

All the best for your applications.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 339 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
OGinNYC wrote:

nishantd88: I didn't use any OG prep books or questions besides the two free GMATPrep tests. I took about 5 practice tests over the course of 2-3 weeks (once every 2-3 days) starting 3 weeks before my test, and then another 5 tests the week (basically one per day) leading into my test. I took the two GMATPrep tests last.

Awesome. You started off on a high note with your first mock itself. Good stuff on taking that a notch higher. Good luck for whenever you decide to apply.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts