Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:10 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Combinationsx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1051 [136]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29941 [91]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [18]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: General, Management & Org Behaviour
Schools:Chicago Booth class of 2012
 Q49  V44
WE 1: Consulting
WE 2: Small business/Start up
WE 3: Strategy - Large Corporate
Send PM
General Discussion
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619223 [11]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Re: There are 5 cars to be displayed in 5 parking spaces with all the cars [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
There are 5 cars to be displayed in 5 parking spaces with all the cars facing the same direction. Of the 5 cars, 3 are red, 1 is blue and 1 is yellow. If the cars are identical except for color, how many different display arrangements of the 5 cars are possible?
(A) 20
(B) 25
(C) 40
(D) 60
(E) 125

I think the above logic is correct except one thing:

# of arrangements is \(\frac{5!}{3!}=20\).

Answer: A.

Though I think that the question is quite ambiguous. We are told that "all the cars are facing the SAME direction", not that they all are facing ONE specific direction. That's why I think we should multiply by 2.

A car can be arranged facing TWO directions (within one particular parking space), so we should multiply 20 by 2, \(20*2=40\)

They can be arranged as
-->
-->
-->
-->
-->
20 combinations.

AND
<--
<--
<--
<--
<--
20 combinations.

Stem just says that they can can not be arranged for example like this:
<--
-->
-->
<--
<--
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1356 [8]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Re: There are 5 cars to be displayed in 5 parking spaces with all the cars [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
xcusemeplz2009 wrote:
There are 5 cars to be displayed in 5 parking spaces with all the cars facing A FIXED direction. Of the 5 cars, 3 are red, 1 is blue and 1 is yellow. If the cars are identical except for color, how many different display arrangements of the 5 cars are possible?

(A) 20

(B) 25

(C) 40

(D) 60

(E) 125

\({\text{cars}}\,\,\,\left\{ \begin{gathered}\\
\,3\,\,{\text{red}} \hfill \\\\
\,1\,\,{\text{blue}} \hfill \\\\
\,1\,\,{\text{yellow}} \hfill \\ \\
\end{gathered} \right.\,\,\,\,\,\,\)

\(?\,\,\,:\,\,\,\# \,\,\,{\text{in}}\,\,5\,\,{\text{parking}}\,\,{\text{spaces}}\,\,\,\,\left( {{\text{only}}\,\,{\text{colors}}\,\,{\text{matter}}} \right)\)

\(?\,\,\, = \,\,\,\underbrace {C\left( {5,3} \right)}_{{\text{red}}\,\,{\text{parking}}\,\,{\text{choices}}}\,\,\, \cdot \,\,\,\underbrace {C\left( {2,1} \right)}_{{\text{blue}}\,\,{\text{parking}}\,\,{\text{choices}}}\,\,\,\,\, = \,\,\,\,\,10 \cdot 2\,\,\, = 20\)

(Once chosen the red and blue parking spaces - among 5 and 2 available, respectively -, the yellow car is placed in the remaining parking space left.)

This solution follows the notations and rationale taught in the GMATH method.

Regards,
Fabio.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22062 [4]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
xcusemeplz2009 wrote:
There are 5 cars to be displayed in 5 parking spaces with all the cars facing the same direction. Of the 5 cars, 3 are red, 1 is blue and 1 is yellow. If the cars are identical except for color, how many different display arrangements of the 5 cars are possible?

(A) 20

(B) 25

(C) 40

(D) 60

(E) 125

The cars can be displayed in the following number of ways, using the indistinguishable permutations formula:

(5!)/(3!) = 5 x 4 = 20 ways.

Note that we divided by 3! because the 3 red cars are identical to each other (i.e., they are indistinguishable).

Answer: A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [1]
Given Kudos: 52
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Hi

Can anyone please explain, why the answer here is not 40. (5!/3!)*2
In a parking slot all cars can face 2 directions right? and these 2 directions will comprise of 2 different arrangements.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 54
Send PM
Kudos
vinayakvaish wrote:
Hi

In a parking slot all cars can face 2 directions right? and these 2 directions will comprise of 2 different arrangements.

I second this.
Please can some expert explain?
Bunuel VeritasKarishma BrentGMATPrepNow
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29941 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
RiseAndShinee wrote:
vinayakvaish wrote:
Hi

I second this.

There are 5 cars to be displayed in 5 parking spaces with all the cars facing the same direction.

I can see how someone could read the above and conclude that we must consider two different scenarios:
1) all of the cars facing in one direction
2) all of the cars facing in the opposite direction

However, if we go down this rabbit hole, we must recognize that there are infinitely many directions the cars could be facing. For example they could all be facing north. Or they could all be facing 1° east of north. Or they could all be facing 1.00253° east of north. etc.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64939 [2]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
RiseAndShinee wrote:
vinayakvaish wrote:
Hi

I second this.

Note that when we make people stand in a line, we do not worry about how they are facing and the assumption is that they all are facing in the same direction. The arrangements are relative to each other, not relative to the environment. Here, the questions mentions that all cars are facing the same direction. Whether they all are facing east or all are facing west doesn't matter because relative to each other, the arrangements are the same.

Anyway, don't worry. Before questions go live, they are experimental for a fair bit of time to ensure that such issues are rectified. Say if 50% people with scores 650+ answer 20 and 50% answer 40, they know that the statements in the question are being evaluated differently by different people.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
It's a parking lot/space. Logic dictates there are parking spaces/lines defined, thus 2 directions a car could face within those lines. I know 20 is the 'official' answer, but the fact that GMAC included this bit of information in the question stem makes it very confusing, because now those of us that read the question and figured there'd be a x2 multiplier at the end of the arrangement would end up with the 'wrong' answer of 40. Agree to disagree.
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 775 [0]
Given Kudos: 1577
Send PM
juxmba wrote:
It's a parking lot/space. Logic dictates there are parking spaces/lines defined, thus 2 directions a car could face within those lines. I know 20 is the 'official' answer, but the fact that GMAC included this bit of information in the question stem makes it very confusing, because now those of us that read the question and figured there'd be a x2 multiplier at the end of the arrangement would end up with the 'wrong' answer of 40. Agree to disagree.

Completely understand your frustration. But it is also given that the cars are facing the same direction - telling you that the direction should not be accounted for.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
There are 5 cars to be displayed in 5 parking spaces with all the cars [#permalink]
AnirudhaS wrote:
juxmba wrote:

Completely understand your frustration. But it is also given that the cars are facing the same direction - telling you that the direction should not be accounted for.

I have read the comments "defending" this question, but we have to agree that this question is poorly written.

We get three restrictions:
1) The cars are identical except for color. -> Ok, we get that we have to use \(5!/3!\)...
2) They are to be displayed in 5 parking spaces. -> Ok, so they have to be parked within these parking spaces.
3) The cars face the same direction. -> This can certainly be interpreted in two ways: All cars must face one specific direction or the cars must face the same direction relative to each other. (Either way it is important that this restriction is given, so that test-takers don't account for the different instances of exactly one car facing the opposite direction, or two cars, three cars etc.)

The main question is: How many different display arrangements of the 5 cars are possible?
So we have 20 different possible orders for the cars and they can either be arranged all facing one way or the other way... So 40 different solutions.

GMAC should have written the question as: How many different orders of the 5 cars are possible?.
If that had been the question, changing the direction of the cars would simply be a \(180^{\circ}\) turn of some order already accounted for.

I feel this question is punishing the test-takers who implement critical thinking. That is just my opinion.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
BrentGMATPrepNow wrote:
RiseAndShinee wrote:
vinayakvaish wrote:
Hi

I second this.

There are 5 cars to be displayed in 5 parking spaces with all the cars facing the same direction.

I can see how someone could read the above and conclude that we must consider two different scenarios:
1) all of the cars facing in one direction

2) all of the cars facing in the opposite direction

However, if we go down this rabbit hole, we must recognize that there are infinitely many directions the cars could be facing. For example they could all be facing north. Or they could all be facing 1° east of north. Or they could all be facing 1.00253° east of north. etc.

BrentGMATPrepNow

I am a bit confused as to how you would proceed if you do use the permutation formula. I came across two versions of the permutation formula (one with repetitions) and one without repetitions. What does the one with repetitions looks like? You use take n!/repetitions!*non-repetitions! Are there repetition and non-repetition formula for combinations?

Many thanks :)
Director
Director
Send PM
BrentGMATPrepNow wrote:
xcusemeplz2009 wrote:

(A) 20

(B) 25

(C) 40

(D) 60

(E) 125

Let R, R, R, B, Y represent the cars (by their colors)
Notice that the three R's are identical.
So, the question becomes In how many different ways can we arrange the letters R, R, R, B and Y?

----------------ASIDE------------------------------
When we want to arrange a group of items in which some of the items are identical, we can use something called the MISSISSIPPI rule. It goes like this:

If there are n objects where A of them are alike, another B of them are alike, another C of them are alike, and so on, then the total number of possible arrangements = n!/[(A!)(B!)(C!)....]

So, for example, we can calculate the number of arrangements of the letters in MISSISSIPPI as follows:
There are 11 letters in total
There are 4 identical I's
There are 4 identical S's
There are 2 identical P's
So, the total number of possible arrangements = 11!/[(4!)(4!)(2!)]
-------------ONTO THE QUESTION!------------------------------

We have R, R, R, B and Y:
There are 5 letters in total
There are 3 identical R's
So, the total number of possible arrangements = 5!/(3!)
= (5)(4)(3)(2)(1)/(3)(2)(1)
= 20

Cheers,
Brent

BrentGMATPrepNow

I was struggling with this one and saw "arrangements" so thought this is a permutation problem.

Key words I have learned to be associated with permutations:
-Arrange
-Line up
-Order

Key words I have learned to be associated with combinations:
-Choose
-Select
-Pick

I am assuming now that we cannot always rely on these key words for guidance in figuring out if a problem is a permutation problem vs. a combinatorics problem.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29941 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
woohoo921 wrote:
BrentGMATPrepNow wrote:
xcusemeplz2009 wrote:

(A) 20

(B) 25

(C) 40

(D) 60

(E) 125

Let R, R, R, B, Y represent the cars (by their colors)
Notice that the three R's are identical.
So, the question becomes In how many different ways can we arrange the letters R, R, R, B and Y?

----------------ASIDE------------------------------
When we want to arrange a group of items in which some of the items are identical, we can use something called the MISSISSIPPI rule. It goes like this:

If there are n objects where A of them are alike, another B of them are alike, another C of them are alike, and so on, then the total number of possible arrangements = n!/[(A!)(B!)(C!)....]

So, for example, we can calculate the number of arrangements of the letters in MISSISSIPPI as follows:
There are 11 letters in total
There are 4 identical I's
There are 4 identical S's
There are 2 identical P's
So, the total number of possible arrangements = 11!/[(4!)(4!)(2!)]
-------------ONTO THE QUESTION!------------------------------

We have R, R, R, B and Y:
There are 5 letters in total
There are 3 identical R's
So, the total number of possible arrangements = 5!/(3!)
= (5)(4)(3)(2)(1)/(3)(2)(1)
= 20

Cheers,
Brent

BrentGMATPrepNow

I was struggling with this one and saw "arrangements" so thought this is a permutation problem.

Key words I have learned to be associated with permutations:
-Arrange
-Line up
-Order

Key words I have learned to be associated with combinations:
-Choose
-Select
-Pick

I am assuming now that we cannot always rely on these key words for guidance in figuring out if a problem is a permutation problem vs. a combinatorics problem.

This question is pretty much a permutation question, EXCEPT the denominator in the MISSISSIPPI formula helps deal with the identical objects to be arranged.
Director
Director
Send PM
BrentGMATPrepNow
Thank you! Out of curiosity, if you were using the permutation formula, I am confused as to what you would plug in...
5!/(5-2)!

Is this correct above? I see that the other answers on the form have 5!/3!, but I am confused as to why we would plug in 2 as the "r" in the formula.

Thanks again :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29941 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
woohoo921 wrote:
BrentGMATPrepNow
Thank you! Out of curiosity, if you were using the permutation formula, I am confused as to what you would plug in...
5!/(5-2)!

Is this correct above? I see that the other answers on the form have 5!/3!, but I am confused as to why we would plug in 2 as the "r" in the formula.

Thanks again :)

We are taking all 5 letters (R, R, R, B and Y) and permuting all 5.
We can do this in 5! ways.
However, the 3 identical R's mean we are counting each arrangement more than once.
In fact, we are counting each arrangement 6 times (since we can arrange 3 R's in 3! ways)
So, the total number of DISTINCT arrangements = 5!/3!

BTW, we don't really need to memorize the Permutation formula for the GMAT. More here: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/articles/pe ... las-forget
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Just curious how this would be solved if the cars were allowed to face in different directions?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92948 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts