Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:04 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619192 [4]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5206 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [0]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2499 [0]
Given Kudos: 459
Send PM
Re: A certain number of desks and bookshelves, at least one each, are to [#permalink]
Since a desk occupies 2m and a bookshelf occupies 1.5m, we should try to maximise the amount of bookshelves (to maximise the overall number). But there should be at least 1 desk also. So lets first place one desk, it will occupy 2m space.

In the remaining space, we should now try to place all bookshelves. Remaining space is 16-2 = 14m.
Number of bookshelves possible in 14m = 14/1.5.. This gives a quotient of 9 and a remainder of 0.5

So 9 bookshelves can be arranged in 14m space. The leftover space will thus be 0.5m. Hence A answer
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 339
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Tuck
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.6
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: A certain number of desks and bookshelves, at least one each, are to [#permalink]
since the question is giving us a condition that the number of desks and bookshelves should be maximum, we need to keep the maximum number of bookshelves and a minimum number of desks . so we can place maximum 9 bookshelves and 1 desk and after this, we are left with only 0.5 m.

so answer is 16 -9*1.5 -2 = .5m.

answer is A
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [0]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
A certain number of desks and bookshelves, at least one each, are to [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
A certain number of desks and bookshelves, at least one each, are to be placed along a library wall that is 16 meters long. Each desk is 2 meters long, and each bookshelf is 1.5 meters long. If the maximum possible number of desks and bookshelves are to be placed along the wall, then the space along the wall that is left over will be how many meters long?

(A) 0.5
(B) 1.0
(C) 1.5
(D) 2.0
(E) 3.0

In the replies so far, we have:

4 desks and 5 bookshelves = 15.5 pushpitkc

7 desks and 1 bookshelf = 15.5 (from me)

9 bookshelves and 1 desk = 15.5 (from me) and amanvermagmat and brs1cob

The first has nothing to do with maximizing either piece of furniture, which makes sense upon reflection because the question doesn't exactly ask for maximum number of pieces of furniture - it asks for maximum length that can be created with those pieces of furniture.

If number of pieces of furniture were the key, we should not have total 9, 8, and 10, respectively, that all yield the correct answer.

I've thought about remainders, divisibility, ratio of desk length to bookshelf length ...

I can't see the pattern. :-(
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.55
Send PM
Hi Bunuel, VeritasKarishma, I think there are two possible answers to this, one which is in the options and one which isn't:

To maximize the number of bookshelves and tables ensuring 1 of each, let us consider 1 of the longer one (i.e., the table) and maximize the shorter one (i.e., the bookshelf).

Thus, 2(1) + (1.5)(8) = 2 + 12 = 14m

That leaves 2m yet to be filled.

This 2m can either be filled by 1.5m length bookshelf or a 2m length table, both ways the maximum number of bookshelves and tables would be 10.

If a table is used, then space remaining = 0m (i.e., 8 bookshelves + 2 tables)
If a bookshelf is used, then space remaining = 0.5m (i.e., 9 bookshelves + 1 table)

Thus, I think two answers are possible. This might make a good data sufficiency question. :)

Let me know what you think or if there's something wrong in my approach.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
Awa327 wrote:
I think there are two possible answers to this, one which is in the options and one which isn't:

If a table is used, then space remaining = 0m (i.e., 8 bookshelves + 2 tables)
If a bookshelf is used, then space remaining = 0.5m (i.e., 9 bookshelves + 1 table)

Thus, I think two answers are possible. This might make a good data sufficiency question. :)

Let me know what you think or if there's something wrong in my approach.

Yes, you're right - we can certainly maximize the number of pieces of furniture while leaving no unused space at all. There isn't a unique answer to the question, and there needs to be to any PS question unless one answer choice says "cannot be determined", or unless the question asks "how much space could be left over?".
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92945 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts