Last visit was: 27 Jul 2024, 01:40 It is currently 27 Jul 2024, 01:40
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 644242 [22]
Given Kudos: 86771
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 30869 [8]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
General Discussion
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 34636 [4]
Given Kudos: 325
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Concentration: Leadership, Finance
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: A code is to be made by arranging 7 letters. Three of the letters used [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
A code is to be made by arranging 7 letters. Three of the letters used will be the letter A, two of the letters used will be the letter B, one of the letters used will be the letter C, and one of the letters used will be the letter D. If there is only one way to present each letter, how many different codes are possible?

A. 42
B. 210
C. 420
D. 840
E. 5,040

IMO: C
We have 7 letters. 3 of A, 2 of B
So 7! / 3! * 2! = 420
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13836 [2]
Given Kudos: 125
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: A code is to be made by arranging 7 letters. Three of the letters used [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
A code is to be made by arranging 7 letters. Three of the letters used will be the letter A, two of the letters used will be the letter B, one of the letters used will be the letter C, and one of the letters used will be the letter D. If there is only one way to present each letter, how many different codes are possible?

A. 42
B. 210
C. 420
D. 840
E. 5,040

AAA BB C D

Different Codes = 7! / (3! * 2!) = 420

Answer: option C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Human Resources
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Bookmarks
We can use the below formula for this calculation.

Permutation of n thingso of which P1 are alike of one kind , p2 are alike of 2nd kind and so on.

Number of permutation = n!/p1!*P2!

So the answer for this question will be 7!/3!*2! (As numbe rof identical A is 3 and identical B is 2)

Answer is 420. C

Bunuel wrote:

A. 42
B. 210
C. 420
D. 840
E. 5,040
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22732 [3]
Given Kudos: 286
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

A. 42
B. 210
C. 420
D. 840
E. 5,040

We need to determine the number of arrangements of:

A-A-A-B-B-C-D

Since we have 7 total letters and 3 repeated A’s and 2 repeated B’s, we can arrange the letters in the following number of ways, using the indistinguishable permutations formula:

7!/(3! x 2!) = (7 x 6 x 5 x 4)/2 = 7 x 3 x 5 x 4 = 21 x 20 = 420.

Answer: C
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11803 [2]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos