Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 23:42 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 23:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 553 [79]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619770 [14]
Given Kudos: 81613
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [5]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 553 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Re: Geometry, probablity [#permalink]
Kudos
GyanOne wrote:
Prob of marker landing in the triangle = area of triangle / area of base = sqrt(3)/4

Circumference of base = 20pi meters
=> Radius of base = 10 meters
=> Area of base = 100pi sq m

Therefore area of the triangle = 100pi * sqrt(3)/4

As the area of an equilateral triangle is sqrt(3)*(side^2)/4,
any side of the triangle = 10*sqrt(pi)

This doesn't seem to be any of the answer choices.

sorry missed the sqrt in option C

It has now been edited , My bad :)

A. 3(sqrt 2pi)
B. 3(sqrt 3pi)
C. 10 sqrt (pi)
D. 10(sqrt 3pi)
E. 20 pi
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: A cylinder has a base with a circumference of 20pi meters [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
Joy111 wrote:
A cylinder has a base with a circumference of 20pi meters and an equilateral triangle inscribed on the interior side of the base. A marker is dropped into the tank with an equal probability of landing on any point on the base. If the probability of the marker landing inside the triangle is (Sqrt 3)/4 , what is the length of a side of the triangle?

A. 3(sqrt 2pi)
B. 3(sqrt 3pi)
C. 10 pi
D. 10(sqrt 3pi)
E. 20 pi

Since the probability of the marker landing on the portion of the base inside the triangle is \(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}\) then the portion of the base (circle) inside the triangle must be \(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}\) of the area of the base.

Next: \(circumference=20\pi=2\pi{r}\) --> \(r=10\) --> \(area_{base}=\pi{r^2}=100\pi\);

The area of the equilateral triangle is \(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}\) of the base: \(area_{equilateral}=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}*100\pi\) --> also the ares of the equilateral triangle is \(area_{equilateral}=a^2*\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}\), where \(a\) is the length of a side --> \(area_{equilateral}=a^2*\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}*100\pi\) --> \(a=10{\sqrt\pi}\).

Answer: C.

Similar question to practice: a-cylindrical-tank-has-a-base-with-a-circumference-of-105453.html

Hope it helps.

Hello All,

See my solution below and please tell me where I am going wrong:
Radius of base = 10 (as derived by you)
Now, if we draw the equilateral triangle inscribed in a circle (as shown in my attachment which is not to scale), then:
OA = radius = 10
and O is the centroid
Centroid divides a median in the ratio 2:1. Hence, OD = OA / 2 = 5

Now, AD is the height of the triangle and in equilateral triangle,
[math]height = a * sqrt (3) /2
where a = side of triangle

Hence, 15 = a * sqrt (3) /2
Hence a = 10 * sqrt (3)

Where am I going wrong?
Attachments

Circle.jpg
Circle.jpg [ 16.8 KiB | Viewed 18810 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
In this question , Triangle is inscribed inside circle so if I am not wrong, centre of the circle will be the circumcentre. As per Maths book of GMAT club relationship between Equilateral triangle and Circcumradius is
R = a/3^1/2 . We know R = 10 , so why putting the values in this formula getting the right answer ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
In this question , Triangle is inscribed inside circle so if I am not wrong, centre of the circle will be the circumcentre. As per Maths book of GMAT club relationship between Equilateral triangle and Circcumradius is
R = a/3^1/2 . We know R = 10 , so why putting the values in this formula NOT getting the right answer ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Joy111 wrote:
A cylinder has a base with a circumference of 20pi meters and an equilateral triangle inscribed on the interior side of the base. A marker is dropped into the tank with an equal probability of landing on any point on the base. If the probability of the marker landing inside the triangle is (Sqrt 3)/4 , what is the length of a side of the triangle?

A. 3(sqrt 2pi)
B. 3(sqrt 3pi)
C. 10 pi
D. 10(sqrt 3pi)
E. 20 pi

Since the probability of the marker landing on the portion of the base inside the triangle is \(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}\) then the portion of the base (circle) inside the triangle must be \(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}\) of the area of the base.

Next: \(circumference=20\pi=2\pi{r}\) --> \(r=10\) --> \(area_{base}=\pi{r^2}=100\pi\);

The area of the equilateral triangle is \(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}\) of the base: \(area_{equilateral}=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}*100\pi\) --> also the ares of the equilateral triangle is \(area_{equilateral}=a^2*\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}\), where \(a\) is the length of a side --> \(area_{equilateral}=a^2*\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}*100\pi\) --> \(a=10{\sqrt\pi}\).

Similar question to practice: a-cylindrical-tank-has-a-base-with-a-circumference-of-105453.html

Hope it helps.

Hey Bunuel quick question,

If the radius of a circle that inscribed an equaliteral is \(r=S\sqrt{3}/3\), where r is the radius and S is the side of the equilateral, should int the answer be \(30/\sqrt{3}=S\)?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
Could anyone pl clarify my doubt??

For an equilateral triangle circumscribed in a circle, side = R * root 3 where R is the circumradius.

In this problem, R = 10, So side of the triangle should be 10 * root 3..

Pl point where I am going wrong.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Quote:

If the radius of a circle that inscribed an equaliteral is \(r=S\sqrt{3}/3\), where r is the radius and S is the side of the equilateral, should int the answer be \(30/\sqrt{3}=S\)?

I did the same thing as Alphabeta1234 and Friend29. Can someone explain why this is incorrect?
\(S=\frac{30}{\sqrt{3}}\)
\(S=10\sqrt{3}\).

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
Kudos
C= 20pi =2pi*10
area of circle= pir^2 = pi10^2=100pi
Now as question mentions that probability of dropping a marker anywhere on the base is same and in particular in the equilateral triangle is sqrt3/4. So, equilateral triangle's area is sqrt3/4 of total area of circle (100pi) = sqrt3/4 *100pi( for e.g we do 20% of 100).
Now area of equilateral triangle can also be represented = as per its formula = a^2*sqrt3/4
So now when will be equating both the equations
a^2*sqrt3/4 =sqrt3/4 *100pi
a^2 = 100 pi
a= sqrt 10pi
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 475 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT Date: 04-30-2015
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Joy111 wrote:

A. 3(sqrt 2pi)
B. 3(sqrt 3pi)
C. 10 pi
D. 10(sqrt 3pi)
E. 20 pi

The area of the equilateral triangle is \(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}\) of the base: \(area_{equilateral}=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}*100\pi\)--> also the ares of the equilateral triangle is \(area_{equilateral}=a^2*\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}\), where \(a\) is the length of a side --> \(area_{equilateral}=a^2*\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}*100\pi\) --> \(a=10{\sqrt\pi}\).

Hope it helps.

I cannot seem to understand the highlighted part.

How do we actually relate the given probability to the area of the base?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619770 [0]
Given Kudos: 81613
Send PM
Expert Reply
earnit wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Joy111 wrote:

A. 3(sqrt 2pi)
B. 3(sqrt 3pi)
C. 10 pi
D. 10(sqrt 3pi)
E. 20 pi

The area of the equilateral triangle is \(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}\) of the base: \(area_{equilateral}=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}*100\pi\)--> also the ares of the equilateral triangle is \(area_{equilateral}=a^2*\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}\), where \(a\) is the length of a side --> \(area_{equilateral}=a^2*\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}*100\pi\) --> \(a=10{\sqrt\pi}\).

Hope it helps.

I cannot seem to understand the highlighted part.

How do we actually relate the given probability to the area of the base?

\(P = \frac{(favorable)}{(total)} =\frac{(area \ of \ triangle)}{(area \ of \ circle)} = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}\) --> \((area \ of \ triangle)=(area \ of \ circle)*\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}\).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 307 [2]
Given Kudos: 273
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.25
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
Why do we need the extra information about probability if finding the radius is enough?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 680 Q42 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
holidayhero wrote:
Quote:

I did the same thing as Alphabeta1234 and Friend29. Can someone explain why this is incorrect?
\(S=\frac{30}{\sqrt{3}}\)
\(S=10\sqrt{3}\).

Thanks

I am looking at the answer the same way. The side of the triangle can directly be found through the radius of the circle.
Why are we doing it the other way? the answer should be 10 root 3.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 407
Send PM
:/

if I use the probability in calculating the side of the triangle, i get 10 root pi

If i use 30 60 90 angled side ration method, i am getting 10 root 3

as mentioned by someone above, the radius is sufficient to calculate the side, we actually do not need the probability

experts, please share your views
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
If we directly calculate the side of the triangle, using the formula a(3)^1/2, after calculating the radius to be 10, why is the answer coming out to be wrong?

[b]Magoosh Bunuel chetan2u @karishmaveritasprep[/b]
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32032 [0]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
A cylinder has a base with a circumference of 20pi meters [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Saatchii wrote:
If we directly calculate the side of the triangle, using the formula a(3)^1/2, after calculating the radius to be 10, why is the answer coming out to be wrong?

[b]Magoosh Bunuel chetan2u @karishmaveritasprep[/b]

This is a faulty question. The side of the largest equilateral triangle will be \(10\sqrt{3}\)...
Circumference =2*pi*r=200*pi, so r=10, but we know r=\(a\sqrt{3}=10.....a=10\sqrt{3}\).

But we get the answer or side as \(10\sqrt{\pi}\), which is greater than 10\(\sqrt{3}\).
Is it possible to have a greater equilateral triangle than the one which has all three vertices on the circumference.....NO

You can discard the question for two reasons...
1) It gives you a triangle which cannot fit into the base
2) It gives you that triangle is inscribed on the base while it actually is trying to mean that the triangle is contained within the base.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 545 [0]
Given Kudos: 1656
Send PM
doesn't the question mean to say that the Equilateral Triangle is PAINTED inside the Base of the Cylinder?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92977 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts