It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 00:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A cylindrical tank has a base with a circumference of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

5 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 28 [5], given: 1

A cylindrical tank has a base with a circumference of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2010, 01:04
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

56% (02:07) correct 44% (01:46) wrong based on 581 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A cylindrical tank has a base with a circumference of \(4\sqrt{\pi{\sqrt{3}}\) meters and an equilateral triangle painted on the interior side of the base. A grain of sand is dropped into the tank, and has an equal probability of landing on any particular point on the base. If the probability of the grain of sand landing on the portion of the base outside the triangle is 3/4, what is the length of a side of the triangle?

A. \(\sqrt{2{\sqrt{6}}\)

B. \(\frac{\sqrt{6{\sqrt{6}}}}{2}\)

C. \(\sqrt{2{\sqrt{3}}\)

D. \(\sqrt{3}\)

E. \(2\)
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 09 Jun 2013, 07:33, edited 2 times in total.
Edited the question and added the OA

Kudos [?]: 28 [5], given: 1

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 135910 [2], given: 12715

Re: Probability Triangle(700 lvl Qn ) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2010, 01:43
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
bhushan288 wrote:
hi guys...
can u help me out with this 1....
thnks in advance

A cylindrical tank has a base with a circumference of meters and an equilateral triangle painted on the interior side of the base. A grain of sand is dropped into the tank, and has an equal probability of landing on any particular point on the base. If the probability of the grain of sand landing on the portion of the base outside the triangle is 3/4, what is the length of a side of the triangle?

Hi bhushan288, and welcome to Gmat Club.

Please read and follow: how-to-improve-the-forum-search-function-for-others-99451.html

So please:
Provide answer choices for PS questions.
Make sure you type the question in exactly as it was stated from the source.

Also:
Please post PS questions in the PS subforum: gmat-problem-solving-ps-140/
Please post DS questions in the DS subforum: gmat-data-sufficiency-ds-141/

No posting of PS/DS questions is allowed in the main Math forum.

Original question is:

A cylindrical tank has a base with a circumference of \(4\sqrt{\pi{\sqrt{3}}\) meters and an equilateral triangle painted on the interior side of the base. A grain of sand is dropped into the tank, and has an equal probability of landing on any particular point on the base. If the probability of the grain of sand landing on the portion of the base outside the triangle is 3/4, what is the length of a side of the triangle?

A. \(\sqrt{2{\sqrt{6}}\)

C. \(\sqrt{2{\sqrt{3}}\)

D. \(\sqrt{3}\)

E. \(2\)

Given: \(circumference=4\sqrt{\pi{\sqrt{3}}\) and \(P(out)=\frac{3}{4}\)

Now, as the probability of the grain of sand landing on the portion of the base outside the triangle is 3/4 then the the portion of the base (circle) outside the triangle must be 3/4 of the are of the base and the triangle itself 1/4 of the are of the base.

Next: \(circumference=4\sqrt{\pi{\sqrt{3}}}=2\pi{r}\) --> square both sides --> \(16\pi{\sqrt{3}}=4{\pi}^2{r}^2\) --> \(4{\sqrt{3}}={\pi}{r}^2\) --> \(area_{base}=\pi{r^2}=4{\sqrt{3}}\);

The area of the equilateral triangle is 1/4 of the base: \(area_{equilateral}=\frac{1}{4}*4{\sqrt{3}}=\sqrt{3}\) --> also the ares of the equilateral triangle is \(area_{equilateral}=a^2*\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}\), where \(a\) is the length of a side --> \(area_{equilateral}=a^2*\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}=\sqrt{3}\) --> \(a=2\).

Answer: E.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 135910 [2], given: 12715

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2010, 01:51
Thnks a lot Bunuel...

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 22

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2011, 06:13
A cylindrical tank has a base with a circumference of 4(sqrt(pi sqrt(3)) meters and an equilateral triangle painted on the interior side of the base. A grain of sand is dropped into the tank, and has an equal probability of landing on any particular point on the base. If the probability of the grain of sand landing on the portion of the base outside the triangle is 3/4, what is the length of a side of the triangle?

A. \(\sqrt{2{\sqrt{6}}\)

C. \(\sqrt{2{\sqrt{3}}\)

D. \(\sqrt{3}\)

E. \(2\)

Now, as the probability of the grain of sand landing on the portion of the base outside the triangle is 3/4 then the the portion of the base (circle) outside the triangle must be 3/4 of the are of the base and the triangle itself 1/4 of the are of the base.

Next: \(circumference=4\sqrt{\pi{\sqrt{3}}}=2\pi{r}\) --> square both sides --> \(16\pi{\sqrt{3}}=4{\pi}^2{r}^2\) --> \(4{\sqrt{3}}={\pi}{r}^2\) --> \(area_{base}=\pi{r^2}=4{\sqrt{3}}\);

The area of the equilateral triangle is 1/4 of the base: \(area_{equilateral}=\frac{1}{4}*4{\sqrt{3}}=\sqrt{3}\) --> also the ares of the equilateral triangle is \(area_{equilateral}=a^2*\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}\), where \(a\) is the length of a side --> \(area_{equilateral}=a^2*\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}=\sqrt{3}\) --> \(a=2\).

Answer: E.[/quote]

Hello Bunuel

ur explanation is perfect . i just cant understand one thing. i know that formula for the side of equilateral triangle inscribed in the circle
should be a= √3 * r where r is radius and a is side of the triangle, but when using this formula i am not getting the right answer in the above exmpl. what could be the problem? is somth. wrong with formula ? thanks

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 22

1 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 2144 [1], given: 376

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2011, 06:32
This post received
KUDOS
tinki wrote:

Hello Bunuel

ur explanation is perfect . i just cant understand one thing. i know that formula for the side of equilateral triangle inscribed in the circle
should be a= √3 * r where r is radius and a is side of the triangle, but when using this formula i am not getting the right answer in the above exmpl. what could be the problem? is somth. wrong with formula ? thanks[/quote]

The triangle is not necessarily inscribed because it is not mentioned in the question. It can be any equilateral triangle drawn within the base. The vertices of the triangle may not touch the circle.

~fluke

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 2144 [1], given: 376

TOEFL Forum Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 607 [0], given: 40

Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2011, 00:40
2*pi*r = 4(sqrt(pi sqrt(3))

=> r = 4(sqrt(pi sqrt(3))/2*pi = 2(sqrt(pi sqrt(3))/pi

Area of circle C = pi * r^2 = 4 * pi* 1/(pi)^2 * pi * sqrt(3) = 4*sqrt(3)

A/C = 1/4

=> A = sqrt(3)

Area of Triangle = sqrt(3) = sqrt(3)/4 * (side)^2

So side = sqrt(4) = 2

Answer is E.

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 607 [0], given: 40

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 412 [0], given: 73

Concentration: Finance
Schools: HEC '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A cylindrical tank has a base with a circumference of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2013, 08:59
could u please explain me why we cant use this formula here ?

The radius of the circumscribed circle is R=a*\sqrt{3}/3

math-triangles-87197.html

Happy are those who dream dreams and are ready to pay the price to make them come true

I am still on all gmat forums. msg me if you want to ask me smth

Kudos [?]: 412 [0], given: 73

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 135910 [1], given: 12715

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2013, 02:27
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
LalaB wrote:
could u please explain me why we cant use this formula here ?

The radius of the circumscribed circle is R=a*\sqrt{3}/3

math-triangles-87197.html

Because we are told that equilateral triangle is painted so not necessarily inscribed on the interior side of the base.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Kudos [?]: 135910 [1], given: 12715

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 12

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2013, 07:10
Hi Bunuel,
can you explain
how can you consider P(out) as fraction of total base?

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 12

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 135910 [0], given: 12715

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2013, 07:39
WarriorGmat wrote:
Hi Bunuel,
can you explain
how can you consider P(out) as fraction of total base?

Posted from my mobile device

Bigger the area bigger the probability of a grain landing there. P(out)=3/4 simply means that the the portion of the base (circle) outside the triangle must be 3/4 of the are of the base.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: INSEAD Jan '15
GPA: 2.7
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2013, 06:29
Hi,

Let P(E) = Probability of grain landing inside triangle = 1 - 3/4 = 1/4;--------(1)
Also P(E) = Area of Equilateral Triangle/Area of Base(i.e. Circle) ---------- (2)

Area (Triangle) = (3^1/2 / 4 )*a^2
Area (Circle) = pi*r^2 = pi * (2(3^1/2/pi)^1/2)^2 = 4*3^1/2

By using 1 & 2

a = 4 (Ans.)

Thanks & Regards,
Prateek Sharma

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2013, 07:35
pratsh123 wrote:
Hi,

Let P(E) = Probability of grain landing inside triangle = 1 - 3/4 = 1/4;--------(1)
Also P(E) = Area of Equilateral Triangle/Area of Base(i.e. Circle) ---------- (2)

Area (Triangle) = (3^1/2 / 4 )*a^2
Area (Circle) = pi*r^2 = pi * (2(3^1/2/pi)^1/2)^2 = 4*3^1/2

By using 1 & 2

a = 4 (Ans.)

Thanks & Regards,
Prateek Sharma

a=2. Check here: a-cylindrical-tank-has-a-base-with-a-circumference-of-105453.html#p824188

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 40

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 670 Q39 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2013, 09:15
Is there any quicker way to do this one? I started down a similar path and was only about 1/4 done by the time I hit 2 minutes

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 40

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Foster '16 (II)
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.47

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2013, 20:43
Hey guys, I feel like the answer to my problem is something super obvious, but why is the area of the triangle 1/4 of the base (from subtracting the probability 3/4 from 1), resulting in an area of 3.
I got an area of 4, resulting from (Area of Circle)/(Area of Circle + Area of Triangle) = 3/4 (with Area of Circle = 12). I want to say if I was given a problem asking for the probability of red balls when there are 12 red balls and 4 blue balls, i would say the probability is 12/(12+4) = 3/4.

Thank you for the help........I'm slowly losing it with all these fractions, and positives and negatives, and less than greater than's, and that and it not having references, and primary purpase of passages.......

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 862

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2013, 02:02
Hey bunuel! same answer same approach! I have been posting answers to some questions but m unaware of how to post formulas in the standard form. please give me a link so i can learn to do the same.

Spread some love..Like = +1 Kudos :)

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 862

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2013, 10:02
ShashankDave wrote:
Hey bunuel! same answer same approach! I have been posting answers to some questions but m unaware of how to post formulas in the standard form. please give me a link so i can learn to do the same.

Check here: rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html#p1096628

Hope it helps.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2013, 10:03
dwalker0219 wrote:
Hey guys, I feel like the answer to my problem is something super obvious, but why is the area of the triangle 1/4 of the base (from subtracting the probability 3/4 from 1), resulting in an area of 3.
I got an area of 4, resulting from (Area of Circle)/(Area of Circle + Area of Triangle) = 3/4 (with Area of Circle = 12). I want to say if I was given a problem asking for the probability of red balls when there are 12 red balls and 4 blue balls, i would say the probability is 12/(12+4) = 3/4.

Thank you for the help........I'm slowly losing it with all these fractions, and positives and negatives, and less than greater than's, and that and it not having references, and primary purpase of passages.......

Check here: a-cylindrical-tank-has-a-base-with-a-circumference-of-105453.html#p1234048

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 58

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2014, 13:57
Bunuel wrote:
bhushan288 wrote:
hi guys...
can u help me out with this 1....
thnks in advance

A cylindrical tank has a base with a circumference of meters and an equilateral triangle painted on the interior side of the base. A grain of sand is dropped into the tank, and has an equal probability of landing on any particular point on the base. If the probability of the grain of sand landing on the portion of the base outside the triangle is 3/4, what is the length of a side of the triangle?

Hi bhushan288, and welcome to Gmat Club.

Please read and follow: how-to-improve-the-forum-search-function-for-others-99451.html

So please:
Provide answer choices for PS questions.
Make sure you type the question in exactly as it was stated from the source.

Also:
Please post PS questions in the PS subforum: gmat-problem-solving-ps-140/
Please post DS questions in the DS subforum: gmat-data-sufficiency-ds-141/

No posting of PS/DS questions is allowed in the main Math forum.

Original question is:

A. \(\sqrt{2{\sqrt{6}}\)

C. \(\sqrt{2{\sqrt{3}}\)

D. \(\sqrt{3}\)

E. \(2\)

Hi Bunuel,

I missed the part where the triangle = 1/4 of the circle.
I did, however, get all the other results.
So what I did was (1-Area of triangle)/area of circle = 3/4
But I seem to get a different answer that you.
Have any idea why?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2014, 06:11
Bunuel wrote:
... also the ares of the equilateral triangle is \(area_{equilateral}=a^2*\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}\)...

Hi Bunuel,
The equation for the area of a triangle is only for an equilateral inscribed in a circle, is it not? is it for any triangle painted within a circle?

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2014, 14:27
ronr34 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
... also the ares of the equilateral triangle is \(area_{equilateral}=a^2*\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}\)...

Hi Bunuel,
The equation for the area of a triangle is only for an equilateral inscribed in a circle, is it not? is it for any triangle painted within a circle?

\(area_{equilateral}=side^2*\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}\) is for ANY EQUILATERAL triangle.

Check Triangles chapter of our Math Book: math-triangles-87197.html

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Re: A cylindrical tank has a base with a circumference of   [#permalink] 27 Jul 2014, 14:27

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 22 posts ] 

A cylindrical tank has a base with a circumference of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap