Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:59 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 217
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
Re: A new satellite sweeping over the poles at altitudes of up to 32,000 [#permalink]
the main problem with choice c is that sweeping in choice c is adjective but not a adverb as in choice d. because sweeping is adverb, it shows that by sweeping, the satallite give scientists the best look. sweeping here means "by sweeping". so , meaning in choice c is different from meaning in choice d.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 168
WE:Corporate Finance (Accounting)
Send PM
Re: A new satellite sweeping over the poles at altitudes of up to 32,000 [#permalink]
AbdurRakib wrote:
A new satellite sweeping over the poles at altitudes of up to 32,000 miles is called POLAR, giving scientists their best look yet at the magnetosphere, the region of space under the invisible influence of Earth’s magnetic field.

(A) A new satellite sweeping over the poles at altitudes of up to 32,000 miles is called POLAR, giving scientists their best look yet at the magnetosphere, the region of space under the invisible influence of Earth’s magnetic field.

(B) A new satellite called POLAR that is giving scientists their best look yet at the magnetosphere, the region of space under the invisible influence of Earth’s magnetic field, sweeping over the poles at altitudes of up to 32,000 miles.

(C) Scientists are getting their best look yet at the magnetosphere, the region of space under the invisible influence of Earth’s magnetic field, from a new satellite sweeping over the poles at altitudes of up to 32,000 miles called POLAR.

(D) Sweeping over the poles at altitudes of up to 32,000 miles, a new satellite called POLAR is giving scientists their best look yet at the magnetosphere, the region of space under the invisible influence of Earth’s magnetic field.

(E) Sweeping over the poles at altitudes of up to 32,000 miles, scientists’ best look yet at the magnetosphere, the region of space under the invisible influence of Earth’s magnetic field, is coming from a new satellite called POLAR.

Hello Experts,
KarishmaB EducationAisle AjiteshArun

In Choice B, I just want to understand whether the verb-ing modifier SWEEPING is correct or not .

Can the verb-ing modifier jump over Noun Modifier ( the region of space under the invisible influence of Earth’s magnetic field) and modify A new satellite ?

Thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 496
Send PM
KarishmaB EducationAisle

In A, why "giving scientists their best look" can't be consider as verb-ing modifying or sharing more info about previous clause "A new satellite is called POLAR"?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sneha2021 wrote:
In A, why "giving scientists their best look" can't be consider as verb-ing modifying or sharing more info about previous clause "A new satellite is called POLAR"?

Indeed, "giving..." is a present participial phrase. However, notice the structure:

A new satellite ....is called POLAR, giving scientists their best look...

How is the fact that the satellite is called POLAR, giving giving scientists their best look...?

These are two unrelated independent facts. So, usage of present participial phrase is not justified here.

The correct sentence could have been:

A new satellite ....is called POLAR, and it is giving scientists their best look...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
Sneha2021 wrote:

Indeed, "giving..." is a present participial phrase. However, notice the structure:

A new satellite ....is called POLAR, giving scientists their best look...

How is the fact that the satellite is called POLAR, giving giving scientists their best look...?

These are two unrelated independent facts. So, usage of present participial phrase is not justified here.

The correct sentence could have been:

A new satellite ....is called POLAR, and it is giving scientists their best look...

Hello EducationAisle

As per your book Participle Phrases "Appearing at the end of the Clause/Sentence" that are proceeded by Comma "Modifies the subject of the proceeding clause or the entire clause (whichever makes sense)"

Based on that, I picked A. I thought the -ing modifier "giving scientists their best look yet at the magnetosphere" is modifying the subject "A new satellite" and it made sense, what am I missing?

GMATNinja I understand why D is correct but cannot take A off :(
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
IN2MBB2PE wrote:
As per your book Participle Phrases "Appearing at the end of the Clause/Sentence" that are proceeded by Comma "Modifies the subject of the proceeding clause or the entire clause (whichever makes sense)"

I think you might be looking at a different section of the book.

As per the book, Present Participle Phrases "appearing at the end of the Clause/Sentence and proceeded by a comma" actually modify the subject of the preceding clause, and the present participial phrase should be a result / description of this clause.

I have also attached the corresponding section of the book ("pp phrase") for your reference.

Quote:
Based on that, I picked A. I thought the -ing modifier "giving scientists their best look yet at the magnetosphere" is modifying the subject "A new satellite" and it made sense, what am I missing?

Reiterating, such participial phrases:

Condition-I. Modify the subject of the preceding clause, and
Condition-II. The present participial phrase should be a result / description of this clause

In option A, while the participial phrase correctly modifies the subject of the preceding clause (so, Condition-I is satisfied), condition-II is not satisfied. As mentioned in my post above, the fact that the satellite is called POLAR is unrelated with the fact that this satellite is giving scientists their best look yet at the magnetosphere.

Since these are two unrelated facts, the usage of present participial phrase is not justified here. We have covered this aspect in detail in our book (please refer to the "Note" attached).
Attachments

Note.pdf [557.59 KiB]
Downloaded 57 times

pp phrase.pdf [465.12 KiB]
Downloaded 28 times

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
IN2MBB2PE wrote:
Hello EducationAisle

It is certainly possible for -ing words to act as simple adjectives (as explained in this article: https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 39780.html). Here's an example:

"The taverna serving delicious Greek lemon soup was closed by the health inspectors."

This seems fine. "Serving" acts as an adjective, telling us more about the taverna that was tragically closed by health inspectors.

But moving the "-ing" modifier to the end of the sentence changes things:

"The taverna was closed by health inspectors, serving delicious Greek lemon soup."

Now, is it the health inspectors who are serving the soup? Probably not (and if so, why is there a comma before the modifier?). Okay, so let's agree that the modifier should describe the taverna.

Still, by moving the modifier to the end (AFTER the full clause), the modifier seems to tell us something about the action of the taverna, not just something about the taverna itself. In other words, the "-ing" modifier seems to describe the entire clause ("The taverna was closed...").

So is "serving delicious Greek lemon soup" what the taverna was doing while it was being closed by health inspectors? Let's hope not -- that would be a pretty sad waste of soup. :cry:

With that in mind, let's look at a simplified version of (A):

"A new satellite is called POLAR, giving scientists their best look yet at the magnetosphere."

Like the second example above, placing the modifier at the end suggests that it describes the entire clause -- the action of the satellite (being called POLAR) -- as opposed to being a simple adjective describing the satellite. If we wanted to use "giving" as an adjective describing the satellite, it would be much clearer to put it right after "satellite". ("A new satellite, giving scientists their best look yet at the magnetosphere, is called Polar.")

Choice (D) avoids that point of confusion entirely. The opening modifier ("Sweeping...") clearly and logically modifies the subject ("a new satellite called POLAR"). And since "is giving" is the main verb, we know it must go with that same subject. The meaning is entirely clear and logical, so (D) is a much better choice.

I hope that helps!
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30797 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
IN2MBB2PE wrote:
Hello EducationAisle

Hello IN2MBB2PE,

Hope you are doing well. Although you have gotten a very detailed response to your question, I would like to direct you to an article in which we have explained the use of the comma + verb-ing modifier through simple and official examples. It is a well-loved article, and I am sure that you will find it helpful too. Here is the link: https://gmatclub.com/forum/usage-of-ver ... 35220.html

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
A new satellite sweeping over the poles at altitudes of up to 32,000 [#permalink]
I am confused with the correct answer D. In the sentence D, if the pronoun "their" logically corresponds to the noun "poles", it will be possible that the pronoun could gramatically correspond to the relatively closer noun "scientists" . Hence, the D option also has the ambiguity problem as the C has in the modifier "called Polar".
On the other hands, assuming that the pronoun logically refers to the "scientists", does the existence of the pronoun cause a redundant problem?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
variablecapital wrote:
I am confused with the correct answer D. In the sentence D, if the pronoun "their" logically corresponds to the noun "poles", it will be possible that the pronoun could gramatically correspond to the relatively closer noun "scientists" . Hence, the D option also has the ambiguity problem as the C has in the modifier "called Polar".

On the other hands, assuming that the pronoun logically refers to the "scientists", does the existence of the pronoun cause a redundant problem?

To understand why the pronoun is not redundant, consider these examples:

• "Tim gave me his car." - What did Tim give me? TIM's car.
  • "I gave Tim my car." - What did I give to Tim? MY car.
  • "I gave Tim his car." - What did I give to Tim? TIM's car (which I perhaps had previously borrowed or stolen)

Even though "his" refers to Tim in the third example above, it's certainly not redundant -- without this pronoun, we wouldn't know whose car was given to Tim. The pronoun "their" in choice (D) is similar: it clarifies whose "best look" we're talking about. Also, the pronoun "their" is used right after scientists in both (C) and (D), so we can't use that as a decision point anyway.

The meaning of "called POLAR" is MUCH clearer in choice (D), where it comes right after the thing that it logically modifies. Also, the meaning of the preposition "from" is a bit unclear in (C) -- does this imply that the scientists are looking at the magnetosphere FROM the satellite, as if they are on board the satellite? The use of "is giving" in (D) avoids that possible misinterpretation.

I hope that helps!

Thank you for your explanation!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts