Last visit was: 16 May 2024, 08:41 It is currently 16 May 2024, 08:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1334 [7]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 319 [3]
Given Kudos: 124
Schools: ISB '20 GMBA '20
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4122 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 353
Send PM
Re: A number when divided by 3 gives a remainder of 1. How many distinct v [#permalink]
dabaobao wrote:
A number when divided by 3 gives a remainder of 1. How many distinct values can the remainder take when the same number is divided by 9?

A) 1
B) 2
C) 3
D) 4
E) 5

Bunuel, chetan2u, yashikaaggarwal, nick1816, IanStewart, GMATinsight, ScottTargetTestPrep, fskilnik.

Hi all,

The cyclicity of the remainder is 1,4,7 when divided by 3.

So can this question be solved by a shortcut using the divisibility properties of 3 and 9 or any of the factors and multiple rules.?

For example, if the cyclicity of the remainder when divided by 3 is 1,4,7 then it will be the same when divided by 9 as well since 9 is the multiple of 3 or 3 is a factor of 9.

Thank you. :)

Posted from my mobile device
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32543 [0]
Given Kudos: 306
Send PM
A number when divided by 3 gives a remainder of 1. How many distinct v [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Nups1324 wrote:
dabaobao wrote:
A number when divided by 3 gives a remainder of 1. How many distinct values can the remainder take when the same number is divided by 9?

A) 1
B) 2
C) 3
D) 4
E) 5

Bunuel, chetan2u, yashikaaggarwal, nick1816, IanStewart, GMATinsight, ScottTargetTestPrep, fskilnik.

Hi all,

So can this question be solved by a shortcut using the divisibility properties of 3 and 9 or any of the factors and multiple rules.?

For example, if the cyclicity of the remainder when divided by 3 is 1,4,7 then it will be the same when divided by 9 as well since 9 is the multiple of 3 or 3 is a factor of 9.

I won’t call 1, 4 and 7 to be cyclicity of remainder but it will surely get you the answer.
The number is 3x+1, and as 3 is a factor of 9, all positive integer values of 3x+1 less than 9 will be the remainder when divided by 9.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9293 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Re: A number when divided by 3 gives a remainder of 1. How many distinct v [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Nups1324 wrote:

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. When we divide by 3, the only possible remainders are 0, 1 and 2, so it isn't possible for 4 or 7 to be a remainder when we divide by 3. It's true that if a number has a remainder of 1 when divided by 3, that number will give a remainder of 1, 4 or 7 when divided by 9, and that's all you need to observe to answer the intended question.

There's a problem with the wording of the question though:

dabaobao wrote:

The question is talking about a specific number. A specific number can only have one remainder when you divide it by 9; we don't need any other information to answer that question. They mean instead to talk about numbers generally that produce a remainder of 1 when divided by 3. Then there are three possible remainders when you divide by 9.
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
Own Kudos [?]: 2777 [0]
Given Kudos: 1510
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
A number when divided by 3 gives a remainder of 1. How many distinct v [#permalink]
Nups1324 wrote:
dabaobao wrote:

A) 1
B) 2
C) 3
D) 4
E) 5

Hi all,

the no. when is divisible by 3 is leaving remainder 1, while dividing by 9 is leaving remainder 1,4,7 on cyclicity ( we did divide those no. with 9 to know the cyclicity)
Instead we can say that, 1) if a no. n is leaving any constant remainder, its square will leave remainder equal to the values for which n is leaving constant remainder till the no. less than n^2 or
2) the square of no. n will leave same distinct values after every n no.
for ex, let say 5 leaves remainder 1 when divided by no. 1,6,11,16,21,26,31................................
its square 25 will leave remainder = 1,6,11,16,21 till the no. less than 25 (21, because 26 is bigger than 25) and then after 21, the cyclicity will continue from 1,6,11,16,21. (after every 5th term) (same as in question where cyclicity is repeating after every 3rd digit)

Your method is correct but using cyclicity word can be dangerous, for instance in highlighted word one can easily interpret that the remainder of a no. when divided by 3 is 1,4,and 7 but its the no. which is leaving remainder 1. the sentence can be ambiguous there, Instead we can use the above stated lines.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 948 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GRE 1: Q170 V167
Send PM
Expert Reply
dabaobao wrote:

A) 1
B) 2
C) 3
D) 4
E) 5

Let the number be represented by \(3i + 1\). We can note the remainder when divided by 9 does cycle as \(3i + 1\) can be incremented by multiples of 9's. We can see 9/3 = 3 so every 3 numbers we will return to the original remainder. To use numbers, we can have 4, 7, 10, 13 as possible numbers but when we divide by 9 the remainders can only be 1, 4, 7, thus three possible remainders.

Ans: C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 353
Send PM
Nups1324 wrote:
dabaobao wrote:

A) 1
B) 2
C) 3
D) 4
E) 5

Hi all,

Hi,

I'm extremely sorry. I used the wrong word twice.

What I wanted to say was that the "dividend" has a "space/progression" of 3 between them when divided by 3 with a remainder of 1.

Dividend = Quotient × Divisor + Remainder
1,4,7,10,13... has a space of 3. I misused the word cyclicity for space.

Then I used these number in the above mentioned formula to find the cyclicity of 1,4,7 as remainder for these specific numbers when divided by 9.

So I concluded that 1,4,7 are the 3 distinct remainder as the quotient is the same for these numbers when divided by 9 but the remainder is different.

Sorry for the confusing.

Secondly,I got your methods as well. Thank you dear experts. chetan2u, IanStewart, yashikaaggarwal.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
Send PM
@chetan2u- Dear Chetan Sir, I got till the step that number will be of the form 3q+1.
But what after that? How are we procedding after it? Thanks in advance.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 529
Send PM
TestPrepUnlimited wrote:
dabaobao wrote:

A) 1
B) 2
C) 3
D) 4
E) 5

Let the number be represented by \(3i + 1\). We can note the remainder when divided by 9 does cycle as \(3i + 1\) can be incremented by multiples of 9's. We can see 9/3 = 3 so every 3 numbers we will return to the original remainder. To use numbers, we can have 4, 7, 10, 13 as possible numbers but when we divide by 9 the remainders can only be 1, 4, 7, thus three possible remainders.

Ans: C

Why 4/9 is not 5? Giving us more remainders.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 828 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
93311 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3136 posts