It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 04:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A physically active lifestyle has been shown to help increase longevit

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Joined: 23 Dec 2010
Posts: 485

Kudos [?]: 2270 [3], given: 82

Location: United States
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
A physically active lifestyle has been shown to help increase longevit [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2013, 04:20
3
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
9
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

70% (01:03) correct 30% (01:12) wrong based on 964 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A physically active lifestyle has been shown to help increase longevity. In the Wistar region of Bellaria, the average age at death is considerably higher than in any other part of the country. Wistar is the only mountainous part of Bellaria. A mountainous terrain makes even such basic activities as walking relatively strenuous; it essentially imposes a physically active lifestyle on people. Clearly, this circumstance explains the long lives of people in Wistar.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

(A) In Bellaria all medical expenses are paid by the government, so that personal income does not affect the quality of health care a person receives.

(B) People living in Wistar do not have a significantly better diet than people living in other parts of Bellaria.

(C) Many people who live in the Wistar region have moved there in middle age or upon retirement.

(D) The many opportunities for hiking, skiing, and other outdoor activities that Wistar's mountains offer make it a favorite destination for vacationing Bellarians.

(E) Per capita spending on recreational activities is no higher in Wistar than it is in other regions of Bellaria.

Source: Official Guide 2012, 13th Edition, CR 30 | GMATPrep Code : VCR007918
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Kudos [?]: 2270 [3], given: 82

3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2010
Posts: 349

Kudos [?]: 61 [3], given: 41

Location: European union
Re: A physically active lifestyle has been shown to help increase longevit [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2013, 16:18
3
This post received
KUDOS
C is the correct answer. If people moved to the place in. the middle of their lifes, they had no taken such a big advantage of the region's opportunities to lead active life and this is not the reason to live long

Kudos [?]: 61 [3], given: 41

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Joined: 28 Jun 2011
Posts: 879

Kudos [?]: 244 [2], given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: A physically active lifestyle has been shown to help increase longevit [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2013, 09:00
2
This post received
KUDOS
Option A also gotta a effect...Since the medical expense is government paid, people are more likely to visit a doctor.If this provision was missing or the medical treatment was expensive people would have avoided or could not afford to visit a doctor...

So the average death rate can be high because of this reason too,,
_________________

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-


1 KUDOS = 1 THANK


Kick Ass Gmat

Kudos [?]: 244 [2], given: 57

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2013
Posts: 1

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: A physically active lifestyle has been shown to help increase longevit [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2013, 09:12
A can also be a possible answer choice as it provides an alternate explanation to live longer. As the Government takes care of the health care expenses, people receive better medical care.

How is this wrong? Any help on this?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Director
Director
User avatar
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Joined: 28 Jun 2011
Posts: 879

Kudos [?]: 244 [0], given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: A physically active lifestyle has been shown to help increase longevit [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2013, 09:41
PradeepCha wrote:
A can also be a possible answer choice as it provides an alternate explanation to live longer. As the Government takes care of the health care expenses, people receive better medical care.

How is this wrong? Any help on this?



The argument assumes that since the life in that location is tough/requires lot of activity to survive, people remain fit solely because of physical exercise that they are doing for years.

WHAT IF, they majority of there population has shifted there after there retirement??? This leaves no provision to conclude that there average death rate is high because of exercise factor....

Although option A also got a practical effect we need to choose the best answer, the options there can be 3 correct answers but our job is to weigh them as which one effects the conclusion at most.
_________________

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-


1 KUDOS = 1 THANK


Kick Ass Gmat

Kudos [?]: 244 [0], given: 57

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Time to wait :)
Joined: 18 Jun 2013
Posts: 79

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 1181

Location: India
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Re: A physically active lifestyle has been shown to help increase longevit [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2013, 11:01
prateekbhatt wrote:
PradeepCha wrote:
A can also be a possible answer choice as it provides an alternate explanation to live longer. As the Government takes care of the health care expenses, people receive better medical care.

How is this wrong? Any help on this?



The argument assumes that since the life in that location is tough/requires lot of activity to survive, people remain fit solely because of physical exercise that they are doing for years.

WHAT IF, they majority of there population has shifted there after there retirement??? This leaves no provision to conclude that there average death rate is high because of exercise factor....

Although option A also got a practical effect we need to choose the best answer, the options there can be 3 correct answers but our job is to weigh them as which one effects the conclusion at most.


Hi there,

But we could negate C too, by the simple logic that even if these people have moved to mountainous regions in middle ages, atleast now they live in a place that has a relatively better environment, adds to physical activities and a complementary lifestyle, etc. Concludingly, past be undone, atleast now they are leading an improved lifestyle. That's the reasoning I used to negate choice C.

In comparison, choice A does not add two different dimensions like the just discussed choice. It is somewhat more clear.
_________________

Dream On...

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 1181

11 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 May 2013
Posts: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [11], given: 2

Re: A physically active lifestyle has been shown to help increase longevit [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2013, 19:03
11
This post received
KUDOS
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I guess it is important to mention something in A :
A) In Bellaria all medical expenses are paid by the government, so that personal income does not affect the quality of health care a person receives.

We are interested in Wistar region of Bellaria, not Bellaria.
So, only left choice is C.

Kudos [?]: 13 [11], given: 2

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Feb 2013
Posts: 1

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 7

Re: A physically active lifestyle has been shown to help increase longevit [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2013, 07:04
engin09 wrote:
I guess it is important to mention something in A :
A) In Bellaria all medical expenses are paid by the government, so that personal income does not affect the quality of health care a person receives.

We are interested in Wistar region of Bellaria, not Bellaria.
So, only left choice is C.


what about B.I guess B also weakens arguement.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 7

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 May 2013
Posts: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

Re: A physically active lifestyle has been shown to help increase longevit [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2013, 21:06
tejasbarot2 wrote:
engin09 wrote:
I guess it is important to mention something in A :
A) In Bellaria all medical expenses are paid by the government, so that personal income does not affect the quality of health care a person receives.

We are interested in Wistar region of Bellaria, not Bellaria.
So, only left choice is C.


what about B.I guess B also weakens arguement.


Try to attack conclusion : "this circumstance explains the long lives of people in Wistar"
And circumstance is " physically active lifestyle"

So, basically our first mission is finding an answer that weakens " physically active lifestyle explains the long lives of people in Wistar "

Finally, I believe "B)The Wistar region is one of Bellaria, s least populated regions." does not attack above sentence.

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Mar 2013
Posts: 269

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 2405

GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 5: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 6: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 7: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT 8: 730 Q50 V39
Re: A physically active lifestyle has been shown to help increase longevit [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2014, 20:46
C

We are looking for an answer that will provide an alternative means for why the mountainous region of Wistar is not responsible for long life.

A) This choice does not do the above, so it has no effect on the argument.
C) Only answer choice that does the above.

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 2405

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Apr 2014
Posts: 273

Kudos [?]: 40 [1], given: 46

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A physically active lifestyle has been shown to help increase longevit [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2014, 07:24
1
This post received
KUDOS
engin09 wrote:
I guess it is important to mention something in A :
A) In Bellaria all medical expenses are paid by the government, so that personal income does not affect the quality of health care a person receives.

We are interested in Wistar region of Bellaria, not Bellaria.
So, only left choice is C.


I was also confused about this option but this small catch explains it. A is applicable for entire Bellaria so it is not a differentiating factor for Wistar region only

Kudos [?]: 40 [1], given: 46

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 03 Feb 2013
Posts: 942

Kudos [?]: 1055 [2], given: 548

Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: A physically active lifestyle has been shown to help increase longevit [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2014, 09:22
2
This post received
KUDOS
Vercules wrote:
A physically active lifestyle has been shown to help increase longevity. In the Wistar region of Bellaria, the average age at death is considerably higher than in any other part of the country. Wistar is the only mountainous part of Bellaria. A mountainous terrain makes even such basic activities as walking relatively strenuous; it essentially imposes a physically active lifestyle on people. Clearly, this circumstance explains the long lives of people in Wistar.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

A) In Bellaria all medical expenses are paid by the government, so that personal income does not affect the quality of health care a person receives.
B) The Wistar region is one of Bellaria, s least populated regions.
C) Many people who live in the Wistar region have moved there in middle age or upon retirement.
D) The many opportunities for hiking, skiing, and other outdoor activities that Wistar's mountains offer make it a favorite destination for vacationing Bellarians.
E) Per capita spending on recreational activities is no higher in Wistar than it is in other regions of Bellaria.


Premise: Physical activity increases longevity and as Wister has higher average age at death > then rest of Bellaria, hence people do physical activity and that explains their longevity.

A) In Bellaria all medical expenses are paid by the government, so that personal income does not affect the quality of health care a person receives.
No distinction made between Bellaria and Wister -> Incorrect

B) The Wistar region is one of Bellaria is least populated regions.
This doesn't explain why there is higher than average age at death -> Incorrect

C) Many people who live in the Wistar region have moved there in middle age or upon retirement.
So most of the people are already higher than average age when they moved to Wister and that provides an alternate explanation -> Correct

D) The many opportunities for hiking, skiing, and other outdoor activities that Wistar's mountains offer make it a favorite destination for vacationing Bellarians.
Out of scope -> Incorrect

E) Per capita spending on recreational activities is no higher in Wistar than it is in other regions of Bellaria.
There is no indication as to why residents of Wister have higher than average age at death -> Incorrect
_________________

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Kudos [?]: 1055 [2], given: 548

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10117

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: A physically active lifestyle has been shown to help increase longevit [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2015, 16:14
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2015
Posts: 18

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 14

Re: A physically active lifestyle has been shown to help increase longevit [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2016, 20:33
There is a small point I need to focus:

1) So there is an area where the population age is mix : 10,20,30,80,90 Avg Age(46)
2) There is an area where the population age is only of retirement and middle age ones : 50,60,70,80,90 Avg Age(70)

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 14

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 26 Mar 2017
Posts: 164

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: A physically active lifestyle has been shown to help increase longevit [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2017, 04:39
I chose C since its obvious


but in fact B is also correct, if the population consists of only three people of course it would weaken the argument :cry:
_________________

I hate long and complicated explanations!

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: Aiming MBA
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 2498

Kudos [?]: 788 [0], given: 64

Location: India
Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: A physically active lifestyle has been shown to help increase longevit [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2017, 06:52
daviddaviddavid wrote:
I chose C since its obvious

but in fact B is also correct, if the population consists of only three people of course it would weaken the argument :cry:


B cannot be the correct answer as we need to assume we have 3 people to validate your point. What if number of people are in millions. B won't hold true in that case.

Also, notice the question is saying "most seriously". Only C does that. Hence, the correct answer.
_________________

V21 ---> V40!

Kudos [?]: 788 [0], given: 64

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 21 Jun 2015
Posts: 53

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 28

Location: India
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.32
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A physically active lifestyle has been shown to help increase longevit [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2017, 04:29
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
PradeepCha wrote:
A can also be a possible answer choice as it provides an alternate explanation to live longer. As the Government takes care of the health care expenses, people receive better medical care.

How is this wrong? Any help on this?


Although option A also got a practical effect we need to choose the best answer, the options there can be 3 correct answers but our job is to weigh them as which one effects the conclusion at most. C is the only option

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 28

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 21 Jun 2015
Posts: 53

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 28

Location: India
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.32
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
A physically active lifestyle has been shown to help increase longevit [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2017, 04:30
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
tejasbarot2 wrote:
engin09 wrote:
I guess it is important to mention something in A :
A) In Bellaria all medical expenses are paid by the government, so that personal income does not affect the quality of health care a person receives.

We are interested in Wistar region of Bellaria, not Bellaria.
So, only left choice is C.


what about B.I guess B also weakens arguement.


C is the only option.our job is to weigh them as which one effects the conclusion at most

Last edited by devikeerthan on 13 Sep 2017, 04:59, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 28

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 22 May 2017
Posts: 60

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 161

GMAT 1: 580 Q41 V29
GMAT 2: 580 Q43 V27
Re: A physically active lifestyle has been shown to help increase longevit [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2017, 04:47
tejasbarot2 wrote:
engin09 wrote:
I guess it is important to mention something in A :
A) In Bellaria all medical expenses are paid by the government, so that personal income does not affect the quality of health care a person receives.

We are interested in Wistar region of Bellaria, not Bellaria.
So, only left choice is C.


what about B.I guess B also weakens arguement.

Options B is out o f context/out of scope.
We are discussing - better health due to strenuous exercise or active lifestyle.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 161

Re: A physically active lifestyle has been shown to help increase longevit   [#permalink] 13 Sep 2017, 04:47
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A physically active lifestyle has been shown to help increase longevit

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.