Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:18 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [17]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [6]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [3]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [2]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Re: A recent study has found amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for [#permalink]
Bookmarks
rakeshd347 wrote:
A recent study has found amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for ear infections, as being about as effective as newer, more expensive antibiotics and causing fewer side effects.

(A) amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for ear infections, as being about as effective as newer, more expensive antibiotics and causing
(B) amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for ear infections, to be about as effective compared to newer, more expensive antibiotics and with
(C) amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for ear infections, to be about as effective as newer, more expensive antibiotics and that it causes
(D) that amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for ear infections, is about as effective as newer, more expensive antibiotics and causes
(E) that amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for ear infections, is about as effective compared to newer, more expensive antibiotics and with

This is one of report questions that require "that" (found that, indicate that, demonstrate that....) You cannot ignore "that".
Narrow down to D, E.
D is correct;
........that amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for ear infections, is about as effective as newer, more expensive antibiotics and causes
Good comparison and parallelism.

Hope it helps.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4891 [2]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: A recent study has found amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for [#permalink]
Bookmarks
A recent study has found amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for ear infections, as being about as effective as newer, more expensive antibiotics and causing fewer side effects.

(D) that amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for ear infections, is about as effective as newer, more expensive antibiotics and causes
(E) that amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for ear infections, is about as effective compared to newer, more expensive antibiotics and with

In 99% of the cases "show, require, found" etc require "that", we can eliminate 3 possible answers.
The idiom is "as ADJ as" and with this E is out of the competition. Moreover in E "with" is unclear.
D
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619249 [1]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
RashedVai wrote:
aditya8062 wrote:

A. amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for ear infections, as being about as effective as newer, more expensive antibiotics and causing
B. amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for ear infections, to be about as effective compared to newer, more expensive antibiotics and with
C. amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for ear infections, to be about as effective as newer, more expensive antibiotics and that it causes
D. that amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for ear infections, is about as effective as newer , more expensive antibiotics and causes
E. that amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for ear infections, is about as effective compared to newer, more expensive antibiotics and with

This is a GMAT PREP Question. It's from free exam 1. Please change the TAG.Bunuel

Posted from my mobile device

Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
AlN wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
mdacosta wrote:
I agree w/ the 'found that' idiom, but is it ok to leave out THAT after the 'and'?

The study found that:
1) that Amox is as effective as the more expensive stuff
2) that it causes fewer side effects

Here is what the sentence looks like with the correct answer choice (D):

"A recent study has found that amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for ear infections, is about as effective as newer, more expensive antibiotics and causes fewer side effects."

If we add a "that" in the middle of "and causes", we will have a parallelism issue... "A recent study has found that amoxicillin is effective and that causes fewer side effects." The noun "amoxicillin" appears after "that", so if you add another "that", you'd have to add another noun, i.e. "A recent study has found that amoxicillin is effective and that patients prefer amoxicillin to other antibiotics."

As is, the sentence correctly creates a list of the two parallel verbs "is" and "causes": "... that amoxicillin is... and causes..."

GMATNinja is and that an independent clause? If so shouldnt it be connected by FANBOYS

I'm not sure that I understand your question, but I'll give it a shot...

You can certainly have a parallel list of "that" clauses, i.e., "A study has found 1) that amoxicillin is effective and 2) that penicillin is ineffective."

Both 1) and 2) are noun clauses which cannot stand by themselves ("that penicillin is ineffective" would not be a complete thought).

NandishSS wrote:
Quote:

(B) amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for ear infections, to be about as effective compared to newer, more expensive antibiotics and with

(C) amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for ear infections, to be about as effective as newer, more expensive antibiotics and that it causes

HI GMATNinja, mikemcgarry, DmitryFarber, MagooshExpert (Carolyn), ccooley, GMATGuruNY, EMPOWERgmatVerbal, EducationAisle

Can we eliminate, because B & C lack verb?

Also in C to be is not parallel to that? Is my understanding correct?

B & C both have a main verb: "A recent study has found..." However, as pointed out in this post, we need a "that" after "has found". The study did not FIND amoxicillin (hiding under a rock?). Rather, the study found out something ABOUT amoxicillin. What did the study find out? "THAT amoxicillin is about as effective...{etc.}"

We also want "as effective as", not "as effective compared to", so there's another issue with (B).

Quote:

Yes, you are right about the parallelism issue in (C)!
CrackVerbal Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply

(A) amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for ear infections, as being about as effective as newer, more expensive antibiotics and causing Reported speech ("...study has found...") requires "that" to report. Current structure seems to imply that amoxicillin itself has been found by the study. Eliminate.

(B) amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for ear infections, to be about as effective compared to newer, more expensive antibiotics and with Same error as in (A). Also, "as effective" needs to be followed by "as" for correct comparison. Eliminate.

(C) amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for ear infections, to be about as effective as newer, more expensive antibiotics and that it causes Same error as in (A). Eliminate.

(D) that amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for ear infections, is about as effective as newer, more expensive antibiotics and causes Correct answer. Correct form is used for reported speech and correct structure "as effective as" is used to compare. No new errors are introduced.

(E) that amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for ear infections, is about as effective compared to newer, more expensive antibiotics and with "as effective" needs to be followed by "as" for correct comparison. Eliminate.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 982
Send PM
I agree w/ the 'found that' idiom, but is it ok to leave out THAT after the 'and'?

The study found that:
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8811 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM

A. amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for ear infections, as being about as effective as newer, more expensive antibiotics and causing -- that is needed after found, usage of being
B. amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for ear infections, to be about as effective compared to newer, more expensive antibiotics and with -- that is needed after found , as X as is correct idiom
C. amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for ear infections, to be about as effective as newer, more expensive antibiotics and that it causes -- that is needed after found
D. that amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for ear infections, is about as effective as newer , more expensive antibiotics and causes - Correct
E. that amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for ear infections, is about as effective compared to newer, more expensive antibiotics and with - as X as is correct idiom

Answer D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 386 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Accounting, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
aditya8062 wrote:

A. amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for ear infections, as being about as effective as newer, more expensive antibiotics and causing
B. amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for ear infections, to be about as effective compared to newer, more expensive antibiotics and with
C. amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for ear infections, to be about as effective as newer, more expensive antibiotics and that it causes
D. that amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for ear infections, is about as effective as newer , more expensive antibiotics and causes
E. that amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for ear infections, is about as effective compared to newer, more expensive antibiotics and with

This is a GMAT PREP Question. It's from free exam 1. Please change the TAG.Bunuel

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools: Oxford "21
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
mdacosta wrote:

The study found that:

Here is what the sentence looks like with the correct answer choice (D):

"A recent study has found that amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for ear infections, is about as effective as newer, more expensive antibiotics and causes fewer side effects."

If we add a "that" in the middle of "and causes", we will have a parallelism issue... "A recent study has found that amoxicillin is effective and that causes fewer side effects." The noun "amoxicillin" appears after "that", so if you add another "that", you'd have to add another noun, i.e. "A recent study has found that amoxicillin is effective and that patients prefer amoxicillin to other antibiotics."

As is, the sentence correctly creates a list of the two parallel verbs "is" and "causes": "... that amoxicillin is... and causes..."

GMATNinja is and that an independent clause? If so shouldnt it be connected by FANBOYS
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [0]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Quote:

HI GMATNinja, mikemcgarry, DmitryFarber, MagooshExpert (Carolyn), ccooley, GMATGuruNY, EMPOWERgmatVerbal, EducationAisle

Can we eliminate, because B & C lack verb?

Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts