Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 04:28 It is currently 07 May 2024, 04:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 621845 [11]
Given Kudos: 81780
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 621845 [1]
Given Kudos: 81780
Send PM
Re: A report released by the American Diabetes Association maintains that [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
A report released by the American Diabetes Association maintains that much of the increase in cases of type II diabetes can be attributed to the poor eating and exercise habits of young Americans.

(A) much of the increase in cases of type II diabetes can be attributed

(B) many of the increase in cases of type II diabetes are attributable

(C) they can attribute much of the increase in cases of type II diabetes

(D) doctors attribute much of the increase in cases of type II diabetes

(E) many of the cases of increased type II diabetes can be attributed

KAPLAN OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

First of all, much is better than many because an increase isn't countable and therefore requires much. Eliminate (B). Notice that you can't yet eliminate (E) because it changes the subject of many to cases. Since you can count cases, many is correct. Next, the original sentence contains the passive expression can be attributed. (C) makes the expression active but adds the entirely unclear pronoun they. (D) does the same by adding doctors, but the addition alters the meaning of the original sentence; the original sentence doesn't suggest that doctors are the intended subject or that they're actually attributing diabetes to such causes. Therefore, keep the passive expression (it's not always wrong) in order to preserve the meaning of the sentence. Finally, eliminate (E) because cases of increased type II diabetes is not a phrase that uses an idiomatic word order. (A) wins.

An 800 test taker knows that the passive voice is correct when it is impossible or inappropriate to name the subject who performs an action.
Current Student
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V23
GMAT 2: 530 Q39 V24
GMAT 3: 580 Q46 V24 (Online)
GMAT 4: 640 Q50 V26
GPA: 3.82
WE:Other (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
A report released by the American Diabetes Association maintains that [#permalink]
VeritasKarishma Mam I was able to eliminate Option C as they does not have pronoun antecedent. Option D is also incorrect as it changes the intended meaning of the sentence. Doctors are not attributing to poor eating and exercise habits of Young Americans.
Option B is incorrect as increase in cases is uncountable hence many cannot be used.

I am unable to eliminate Option E.

Kindly guide
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65141 [2]
Given Kudos: 431
Send PM
Re: A report released by the American Diabetes Association maintains that [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
vasuca10 wrote:
VeritasKarishma Mam I was able to eliminate Option C as they does not have pronoun antecedent. Option D is also incorrect as it changes the intended meaning of the sentence. Doctors are not attributing to poor eating and exercise habits of Young Americans.
Option B is incorrect as increase in cases is uncountable hence many cannot be used.

I am unable to eliminate Option E.

Kindly guide

What is the intended meaning of the sentence?

A report is released by the ADA which maintains that the increase in number of cases of diabetes is due to bad habits.

"increase" will use "much", not many since "increase" is uncountable.

Introduces the pronoun "they" without an antecedent.

The report says that the increase can be attributed to bad habits, not that the doctors attribute increase to bad habits. These are very different things. A survey of doctors can establish that they attribute increase in number of cases to say A, but the report finds out the reason for increase and attributes the increase to that reason on its own.
So report says that the increase can be attributed to A.

"increase" is in the number of cases, not in diabetes. When we use "increased type II diabetes", increase is modifying diabetes which means that diabetes has got more severe. But actually the increase is in the number of cases of diabetes.

Answer (A)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
A report released by the American Diabetes Association maintains that [#permalink]
A report released by the American Diabetes Association maintains that much of the increase in cases of type II diabetes can be attributed to the poor eating and exercise habits of young Americans.

(A) much of the increase in cases of type II diabetes can be attributed . : seems okay, will hold

they refers to ??

Awkward statement.. had to read two times to understand.. so may be wrong idiom

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
Send PM
VeritasKarishma MentorTutoring AjiteshArun daagh

I am not convinced that addition of a subject "doctors" changes the "intended" meaning or the "original" meaning in the option D :

I have seen many examples, in which we add a proper subject in the correct option. And it seems nothing illogical that association took the advice of doctors, and they attributed some effect to some cause

Moreover, the option 'A' should not be treated as a sole legitimate beholder of the "intended" or "original" meaning.

Experts, kindly help.

And thanks in advance !!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4666 [0]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
abhishekmayank wrote:

I am not convinced that addition of a subject "doctors" changes the "intended" meaning or the "original" meaning in the option D :

I have seen many examples, in which we add a proper subject in the correct option. And it seems nothing illogical that association took the advice of doctors, and they attributed some effect to some cause

Moreover, the option 'A' should not be treated as a sole legitimate beholder of the "intended" or "original" meaning.

Experts, kindly help.

And thanks in advance !!
Hi abhishekmayank,

I agree. I too am not a big fan of the "preserve the meaning of the original sentence" approach mentioned in the explanation. If we had to take a call, we'd have to decide whether the report (a) wants to tell us what the cause is or (b) wants to tell us what doctors think the cause is. I don't think this is a fair call. And because this is a non-official question, we could just ignore it.

I should point out, however, that it would be very unusual for a GMAT question in which there is a 4:1 meaning split to go with the option that carries that "1" meaning. Not impossible, but very unusual.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6873 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
abhishekmayank wrote:

Experts, kindly help.

And thanks in advance !!

Hello, abhishekmayank. I concur with both you and AjiteshArun. I often say that the only part of a Sentence Correction question that you can take for gospel is the non-underlined portion. If the original sentence conveyed the intended meaning, underlined portion and all, then (A) would be the correct answer much more often than proves to be the case. The shell of the sentence here is the following:

A report released by the American Diabetes Association maintains that... to the poor eating and exercise habits of young Americans.

Whether the report focuses on an unattributed increase in cases of type II diabetes or places doctors front and center, we can only speculate. Although I did choose (A) because my rule of thumb is not to abandon an answer unless I can find an arguable element within it, I see nothing inherently wrong with invoking doctors (as qualified professionals who might hold an opinion mentioned in the report) to do the attributing that is mentioned.

I would say an 800 test-taker knows when to call foul on a question and move on to more productive prep work (with official questions). +1 to Bunuel for finding a new question to post, but -1 to Kaplan for producing a subpar set of answer choices. Thank you for calling my attention to the question.

- Andrew
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65141 [0]
Given Kudos: 431
Send PM
Expert Reply
abhishekmayank wrote:

Experts, kindly help.

And thanks in advance !!

Yes, there is no "original" meaning but there is "logical meaning". I have explained here (https://gmatclub.com/forum/a-report-rel ... l#p2119838) why it is not correct to add doctors here. Yes, there are questions in which the correct option changes passive to active and adds a subject like scientists etc. That approach is NOT correct here.

A report will usually arrive at a certain conclusion after evaluating the data and give you that conclusion - "much of the increase can be attributed to A and B". It is adding value here.

If the report says "doctors attribute much of the increase to A and B", how did the report add value? What did the report conclude? What are the report's findings? It shouldn't just rephrase a fact. It should give us its findings. It needs to tell us whether A and B actually are the contributors, not just what the doctors say. We know what the doctors say.

Hence, (A) is logical here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
abhishekmayank wrote:

Experts, kindly help.

And thanks in advance !!

Yes, there is no "original" meaning but there is "logical meaning". I have explained here (https://gmatclub.com/forum/a-report-rel ... l#p2119838) why it is not correct to add doctors here. Yes, there are questions in which the correct option changes passive to active and adds a subject like scientists etc. That approach is NOT correct here.

A report will usually arrive at a certain conclusion after evaluating the data and give you that conclusion - "much of the increase can be attributed to A and B". It is adding value here.

If the report says "doctors attribute much of the increase to A and B", how did the report add value? What did the report conclude? What are the report's findings? It shouldn't just rephrase a fact. It should give us its findings. It needs to tell us whether A and B actually are the contributors, not just what the doctors say. We know what the doctors say.

Hence, (A) is logical here.

Thanks VeritasKarishma for complimenting the replies !!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts