It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 05:19

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A researcher plans to identify each participant in a certain

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 135467 [1], given: 12695

Re: A researcher plans to identify each participant in a certain [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2015, 00:43
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ProblemChild wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
kevn1115 wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

I'm confused on when you show that n! = (n-2)!*(n-1)*n...why is n! only limited to those 3 factors? I guess the question is why do you start at (n-2)!?

Thanks.!

\(C^2_n=\frac{n!}{2!(n-2)!}\). Now, notice that \(n!=(n-2)!*(n-1)*n\), hence \(C^2_n=\frac{n!}{2!(n-2)!}=\frac{(n-2)!*(n-1)*n}{2!(n-2)!}=\frac{(n-1)n}{2}\).

Hope it's clear.

n! is the product of positive integers from 1 to n, inclusive: n! = 1*2*...*(n-4)*(n-3)(n-2)(n-1)n. To simplify \(\frac{n!}{2!(n-2)!}\) I wrote n! as (n-2)!*(n-1)*n this enables us to reduce by (n-2)! to get \(\frac{(n-1)n}{2}\).

Hope it's clear.

Hi bunuel!

Sorry for opening the old topic but my question is why are you and everyone else writing the "c(n, k)" upside down. Have a look at the screenshot of the gmat club math book and the equation everyone is referring to.

Thanks!

\(C^1_3\), \(C^3_1\), 3C1, mean the same thing choosing 1 out of 3, just different ways to write. Can it be choosing 3 out of 1???

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 135467 [1], given: 12695

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 13

WE: Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2015, 01:54
Bunuel wrote:

\(C^1_3\), \(C^3_1\), 3C1, mean the same thing choosing 1 out of 3, just different ways to write. Can it be choosing 3 out of 1???

Indeed it can not :)

Thanks for the quick response!

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 13

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 172 [1], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2015, 06:06
This post received
KUDOS
you can not remember in the test room

think about the basic problem in Princeton gmat book.

if there is 2 element, we have 2x1 possibilites , order maters
if there is 3 element, we have 3x2
if there is 5 element, we have 5x4
but because the element must be in alphatical order, we have half of the possibilities
5x4/2=10
we have 5 distick letter, so total is 15
enough

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 172 [1], given: 916

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2015, 22:43
Hi Folks,

Pair would mean 2 elements.So we will consider single and pairs(with 2 elements) only right?

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 2240 [0], given: 123

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2015, 23:39
kirtivardhan wrote:
Hi Folks,

Pair would mean 2 elements.So we will consider single and pairs(with 2 elements) only right?

Hi kirtivardhan,

You are right, pair means 2 elements. Hence the solution considers both single letters and pair of letters for formation of the code. Let me know at which point you are having a doubt.

Regards
Harsh

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 2240 [0], given: 123

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2015, 00:10
Hi Harsh,
If we try to solve it by trial and error then for 5 letters it would be 5 single letters and AB,BC,CD,DE in alphabetical order.that makes the total as 9.Then how is the answer 5?

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 2240 [1], given: 123

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2015, 01:13
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
kirtivardhan wrote:
Hi Harsh,
If we try to solve it by trial and error then for 5 letters it would be 5 single letters and AB,BC,CD,DE in alphabetical order.that makes the total as 9.Then how is the answer 5?

Hi kirtivardhan,

Writing the letters in alphabetical order does not mean using only consecutive alphabets. For a two alphabet combination where the first alphabet is A, every other alphabet coming after A will have the code in in alphabetical order. So, AB, AC, AD and AE are in alphabetical order. Similarly for the first alphabet as B we will have BC, BD & BE in alphabetical order. Again, for C we would have CD & CE and for D we would have DE in alphabetical order.

You missed out on the combination of these alphabets.

Another way to understand this is for the alphabet A, there are 4 other letters (i.e. B, C, D, E) which can follow A, so A will have 4 possible combinations in alphabetical order. For alphabet B, there are 3 letters (i.e. C, D, E) which can follow B, so B will have 3 possible combinations in alphabetical order. Similarly for C, we will have 2 possible combinations (i.e. D, E) and 1 possible combination (i.e. E) for D.

Total possible two alphabet combinations = 4 + 3 + 2 + 1 = 10
Total possible single alphabet combination = 5
Hence, total possible combinations i.e. distinct codes possible = 10 + 5 = 15 > 12.

Try out this exercise for 4 letters and you will observe that the total distinct possible codes is less than 12.

Hope it's clear :)

Regards
Harsh

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 2240 [1], given: 123

Board of Directors
P

Kudos [?]: 447 [0], given: 207

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2015, 16:55
i understand the concept of the combinatorics, but how for ex AD is in alphabetical order?
I thought that we are restricted to use a pair of letters only in alphabetical order, ex: AB, BC, CD, etc.
that is my understanding of the alphabetical order.

Kudos [?]: 447 [0], given: 207

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3683 [0], given: 173

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2015, 23:13
Hi mvictor,

There's a difference between alphabetical order and CONSECUTIVE alphabetical order (in the same way that there's a difference between putting integers in numerical order and dealing with consecutive integers).

As an example, when dealing with the letters A, B, C and D there are 6 different pairs of letters that you could put in alphabetical order:

AB
AC
AD
BC
BD
CD

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3683 [0], given: 173

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 74

GMAT 1: 610 Q42 V32
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2016, 09:39
Bunuel wrote:

Notice that we are told that letters in the code should be written in alphabetical order. Now, 2Cn gives different pairs of 2 letters possible out of n letters, but since codes should be written in one particular order (alphabetical), then for each pair there will be only one ordering possible, thus the number of codes out of n letters equals to number of pairs out of n letters.

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunuel,

From n letters we choose the number of pairs, the result will be \(C^2_n\) which may include 2 kinds of pairs (AB) and (BA). Still confused :(.[/quote]

Maybe the following example would help. Consider 4 letters {a, b, c, d}. How many 2-letter words in alphabetical order are possible? The answer is \(C^2_4=6\):
ab;
ac;
ad;
bc;
bd;
cd.[/quote]

So it is essentially COMBINATION that matters... even if it were not told alphabetical, then we had to consider permutation... so AB and BA would be different !!
Got it now.. Thanks Bunuel... some where in the wording of the Qs , it seemed like we needed to do a nc2 / 2.....

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 74

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)

Kudos [?]: 518 [0], given: 58

GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: 337 Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2016, 17:47
Attached is a visual that should help.
Attachments

Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 6.44.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 6.44.12 PM.png [ 64.3 KiB | Viewed 662 times ]

Harvard grad and 770 GMAT scorer, offering high-quality private GMAT tutoring, both in-person and online via Skype, since 2002.

GMAT Action Plan - McElroy Tutoring

Kudos [?]: 518 [0], given: 58

Expert Post
Target Test Prep Representative
S
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Kudos [?]: 1015 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2016, 05:06
sarb wrote:
A researcher plans to identify each participant in a certain medical experiment with a code consisting of either a single letter or a pair of distinct letters written in alphabetical order. What is the least number of letters that can be used if there are 12 participants, and each participant is to receive a different code?

A. 4
B. 5
C. 6
D. 7
E. 8

Let's use the answer choices to help us solve this problem. We are looking for the minimum number of letters that can be used. The smallest number from the answer choices is 4, so let’s ask ourselves this question: Can we use only 4 letters to represent the 12 participants? Assume that the 4 letters are A, B, C and D (keep in mind that for each participant we can use either one letter OR two letters to represent him or her; however if we use two letters, they must be in alphabetical order):

1) A 2) B 3) C 4) D 5) AB 6) AC 7) AD 8) BC 9) BD 10) CD

Under this scheme, we can represent only 10 of the 12 participants. So let's add in one more letter, say E, and see if having an additional letter allows us to have a unique identifier for each of the 12 participants:

1) A 2) B 3) C 4) D 5) AB 6) AC 7) AD 8) BC 9) BD 10) CD 11) E 12) AE

As you can see, once we’ve added in the letter E we can represent all 12 participants. Since we’ve used A, B, C, D and E, the minimum number of letters that can be used is 5.

Answer B

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Kudos [?]: 1015 [0], given: 3

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

Schools: Rotman '19 (A)
A researcher plans to identify each participant in a certain [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2016, 07:45
Hi,

Could someone please explain how we went from n!/2!(n-2)! -> n(n-1)/2 ?

In addition to the above query, I am still unclear as to why we use combination formula to solve this particular question when order clearly matters? I read Bunuels response as to why, but I am still unclear. I must have spent 5 days reading the explanation.

Posted from my mobile device

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [1], given: 51

GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2016, 09:36
This post received
KUDOS
g3lo18 wrote:
In addition to the above query, I am still unclear as to why we use combination formula to solve this particular question when order clearly matters? I read Bunuels response as to why, but I am still unclear. I must have spent 5 days reading the explanation.

Posted from my mobile device

(replying here instead of in chat as there's an MBA session going on).

The only thing that matters is the number of distinct pairs.

Stating that the order must be alphabetical states that only 1 of all potential pairs is valid. This is equivalent to the combination formula as shown below.

For example, with \(\{A,B,C,D\}\), the list of permutations of size 2 is \(4_P 2 = 12\)

AB, BA = 2! ways to arrange 2 elements
AC, CA
AD, DA
BC, CB
BD, DB
CD, DC

Saying that the order of the selection does not matter is equivalent to saying that every permutation is the same which is equivalent to saying that only one of each permutation is valid.

Permutations = \(\frac{n!}{(n-k)!}\)
Combinations = \(\frac{n!}{k!(n-k)!}\)
Number of ways of arranging each new selection of elements = \(k!\)
Where 1 out of every new selection is valid = \(\frac{1}{k!}\)
Permutations where only 1 permutation is valid = \(\frac{n!}{(n-k)!} \times \frac{1}{k!} =\) Combinations

Please press +1 Kudos if this post helps.

Kudos [?]: 25 [1], given: 51

Intern
Intern
B

Schools: Rotman '19 (A)

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2016, 09:53
Thank you for that.

I guess my confusion stems from watching the GMATPrepNow videos. Brent explains that if the order does not matter, we use nCr formula. However, in this case it does matter (alphabetical). I guess there may be an error in his videos?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 51

GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2016, 10:22
g3lo18 wrote:
Thank you for that.

I guess my confusion stems from watching the GMATPrepNow videos. Brent explains that if the order does not matter, we use nCr formula. However, in this case it does matter (alphabetical). I guess there may be an error in his videos?

Sorry, this is relatively hard to explain and I don't feel I'm making a good job of explaining it.

In this question, the order does not matter.

The problem lies with the interpretation of the phrase "the order matters". Specifically it means: when selecting a set of elements for the output, every permutation of that set is valid. This means that \(\{A,B,D\}\) and \(\{D,A,B\}\) are both distinct and valid elements in the solution set.

A combination on the other hand specifies that \(\{A,B,D\}\) and \(\{D,A,B\}\) are equivalent (which can also be described by saying that the order does not matter). This means that for the set of possible solutions containing three elements, only one of which is valid.

In this question, every pair of letters maps to a single solution: out of \(\{\{A,B\},\{B,A\}\}\), only \(\{A,B\}\) is valid. We are performing the operation of moving from a set of elements to a single element. Therefore we use combinations.

EDIT (may be more clear): In this question, we are first taking a collection of letters and determining how many pairs of distinct letters we can make (permutations). For every pair of distinct letters, we are then mapping from that collection to a single element. This map from a collection to a single element is a combination (all elements in the set of \(\{\{A,B\},\{B,A\}\}\) are not a valid solutions, but each is a map to the single valid solution in the set: \(\{A,B\})\).

There is a good video explaining the concept here (the example at 5:01): https://www.coursera.org/learn/fe-exam/ ... mbinations

I hope this helps (and sorry that I can't explain things better).

Please press +1 Kudos if this post helps.

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 51

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 196

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2016, 10:46
here is how I did this.
let us say we have 4 to begin with.
A,B,C,D
we can have A,B,C,D ==> 4
AB, AC, AD - 3 with first letter as A
2 with first letter as B
1 with first letter as C. so in total we have 4+3+2+1= 2.5*4 = 10.
Notice that this is as Bunuel explained is nC2+n.

By this we can apply intuition and see that with 5 we will definitely climb 12.
nC2 + 5 = 10+5 = 15. We only needed 12. So B.

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 196

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2017, 11:46
Since the question says "either one or a pair of distinct letter", i made the calculation as in ; " A, AB,BA, B, C,CB,CA,... etc therefore 4 letters were sufficient. How am i supposed to understand that if we are going to use "only single letters or pair of distinct letters" alltogether?

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2017, 11:15
we can use combinators formula to get to the answer

2Cx+x>=12
let's try answers: B fits right: 10+5>=15

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2017, 18:16
Bunuel wrote:
sarb wrote:
A researcher plans to identify each participant in a certain medical experiment with a code consisting of either a single letter or a pair of distinct letters written in alphabetical order. What is the least number of letters that can be used if there are 12 participants, and each participant is to receive a different code?

A. 4
B. 5
C. 6
D. 7
E. 8

Say there are minimum of \(n\) letters needed, then;

The # of single letter codes possible would be \(n\) itself;
The # of pair of distinct letters codes possible would be \(C^2_n\) (in alphabetical order);

We want \(C^2_n+n\geq{12}\) --> \(\frac{n(n-1)}{2}+n\geq{12}\) --> \(n(n-1)+2n\geq{24}\) --> \(n(n+1)\geq{24}\) --> \(n_{min}=5\).

Answer: B.

Hope it's clear.

in this problem
If i write the sequence - A, B, C, D, AB, AC, AD, BA, BC, BD, CA, CB
why we should not consider AB and BA as separate entity?

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 43

Re: A researcher plans to identify each participant in a certain   [#permalink] 25 Mar 2017, 18:16

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 76 posts ] 

A researcher plans to identify each participant in a certain

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap