Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:23 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16846 [15]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 768 [1]
Given Kudos: 40
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31969 [2]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31969 [1]
Send PM
Re: A school teacher wants to divide the whole class into 3 groups with... [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
arpitkansal wrote:
chetan2u
I don't understand why the groups are identical.The students are not identical so how can the groups be identical?
In such questions do we have to presume the groups as same identity and ignore the diversity of students?

Hi..
The reason is that we have not named the group..
So if A,B are in group I, C,D are in group 2 and E,F are in group 3..
It will be same when A,B are in group I, C,D are in group 3 and E,F are in group 2..
OR if A,B are in group 2, C,D are in group 1, and E,F are in group 3..

Since here all groups name and size wise are identical, all above distribution are identical, and hence we divide by 3!
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31969 [2]
Send PM
Re: A school teacher wants to divide the whole class into 3 groups with... [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
DrAnkita91 wrote:
I answered as option E.

Please can anyone tell for these kind of questions... when should we divide by 3! and when should we multiply by 3!

­When you have reptitions that have been counted multiple times then you require to remove them by dividing them by number that each combination is repeated.
Say, you have to select two groups consisting of equal members from A, B, C and D.
4C2*2C2 = 6 ways, but do we have 6 ways.
(1,2) = (AB,CD), (AC,BD), (AD,BC), 
So, where are the remaining 3 ways, they are reverse of the above, that is (CD,AB), (BD,AC) and (BC,AD).
And, why did this happen? Because we took 1 and 2 group to be different, but they are identical.
Thus divide by ways these groups can be arranged 2! for 2 groups and 3! for 3 groups or n! for n groups.

Now, when do you multiply by 3!?
arranging 3 out of 5 on three chairs.
You select three person from five in 5C3 ways, and arrange them in 3! ways within themselves, so multiply by 3! = 5C3*3!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 768 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
\(\frac{24!}{(8!)^3 * 3!} = \frac{_{24}C_8*_{16}C_8*_8C_8}{3!}\)

Answer B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
chetan2u

Hi Chetan2u,

We are referring the groups identical because the no. of students are same?
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31969 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Nitish7 wrote:
chetan2u

Hi Chetan2u,

We are referring the groups identical because the no. of students are same?

YES NITISH..

since the groups have same number and there is no other difference, these groups are identical..

example ..
there are three bags- same colour and same size- all bags are identical..
but say the bags are different in colour. not identical.. we will not divide by 31 or so
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Hi,
I understood till you came up to 24C8*16C8*8C8.. But, I don't know why are dividing by 3!.
We don't need to arrange the 3 groups right?, we just want to find how many ways to get 3 groups.
Lets take A,B,C are 3 groups.
We don't want to find ABC, ACB,CAB etc..

Clearly I am not following you. Can you please explain me

Thanks,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 478
Schools: IMD '20
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 2.84
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
chetan2u
I don't understand why the groups are identical.The students are not identical so how can the groups be identical?
In such questions do we have to presume the groups as same identity and ignore the diversity of students?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GPA: 3.27
Send PM
Correct if wrong:

The way I see it, there are two steps to this.

1) e.g. think about if we have 6 children divided into 3 groups. 2 kids in each.

How many kids in the first group? 6C2 - you have 6 kids and you choose 2 of them to be in the first group.
How many kids in the second group? 4C2 - You already picked 2 kids to be in the first so 4 are remaining. choose 2 more out of 4.
How many in the third? 2C2 - Only 2 kids left and choosing both of them.

So, we have 6C2*4C2*2C2. BUT...

2) Now, you have these groups (lets say, A,B,C). You can ofcourse arrange them in the order ABC. The question is, is the order CBA different from ABC? The answer is no. They all have 2 kids in them and even though the kids in them are different people, their combinations have already been accounted for in step 1. SO really, A=B=C. Ie. How many ways can you arrange AAA? 3*2*1/3!=1 right?

Same concept in this situation - 3 groups all identical and we found there are 6C2*4C2*2C2 ways of creating them so divide by 3! to get the total number of ways. Now you can apply the same to the problem above.

Thoughts?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
I answered as option E.

Please can anyone tell for these kind of questions... when should we divide by 3! and when should we multiply by 3!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
understood.. thanks
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92948 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts