Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:10 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 189 [8]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31969 [2]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 189 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
Re: A semi-circle is inscribed in an isosceles right-angled triangle as sh [#permalink]
Thank you everyone for noticing the mistake in the answer choices. I've edited it
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Send PM
Re: A semi-circle is inscribed in an isosceles right-angled triangle as sh [#permalink]
IanStewart wrote:
jn0r wrote:

A semi-circle is inscribed in an isosceles right-angled triangle as shown. What is the radius of the semi-circle?

A) \(\sqrt{2} - 1\)
B) 1
C) \(\sqrt{3} - 1\)
D) 2
E) 2/3

I don't think the right answer is among the choices (the answer is twice as big as answer choice A).

If you draw the center of the circle, and call the radius r, then that divides the vertical line into two parts. The bottom part is the radius r, and the entire vertical length is 2, so the top part is 2-r.

Now we can connect the center of the circle to two points:

- we can draw a radius sloping upwards from the center to the point where the circle meets the hypotenuse (I'll call that point "P"). The hypotenuse is tangent to the circle, so that will create a right angle
- we can draw a very long line from the center to the distant bottom-right corner of the triangle

If you draw this picture, you'll see we've created two long and thin right triangles. The one at the bottom of the picture has one vertical side of length r, and a long horizontal side of length 2. This triangle shares a hypotenuse with the right triangle above it, which also has a side of length r. If these two right triangles have two equal sides (they have the same hypotenuse, and have another side of length r) their third side must also be equal, so the third side of the top triangle is 2.

Now, looking at the original 45-45-90 triangle, its hypotenuse was 2√2 (since in a 45-45-90, the hypotenuse is √2 times a side). We just determined the length of the section from our new point P down to the bottom right corner was 2. So the remaining shorter part at the top is 2√2 - 2.

Now we have a small right triangle at the top of our picture, where the hypotenuse is 2-r, and the two short sides are r and 2√2 - 2. Using Pythagoras we find

(2 - r)^2 = r^2 + (2√2 - 2)^2
4 - 4r + r^2 = r^2 + 8 - 8√2 + 4
4r = 8 - 8√2
r = 2 - 2√2

If stuck on a problem like this, an estimate might get down to one, two or three possible answers. The diameter of the semicircle is clearly less than 2, the length of the side of the triangle. So the radius must be less than 1, but it's not too much less than 1. So answer choices like '1' and '2' here are absolutely impossible, and answers like √2 - 1 is too small to be plausible.

Hi Ian.... Can you please draw a diagram to elaborate your point.Thank you

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92948 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts