Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:07 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [27]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V30
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72889 [2]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1921 [0]
Given Kudos: 628
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [2]
Send PM
A story of faith - Journey from 680 to 750 (only using GMAT club.!) [#permalink]
Kudos
Thanks bb !

The predicted score was actually quite good .. the algorithm was scoring me around 720-730 towards the end. And thats pretty close and a really good motivator as well :)

Thanks for the encouragement and all the support from this wonderful community :)

A few questions for you as I think these would benefit others to know:
1. When did you find the time to study and how long did you study per day?

On the weekdays I would study after office or after my office work. No fixed time though, would start anywhere between 8pm to 1am on some days. I would first do the recommended questions diligently (i.e., going over the comments and understanding all the possibilities in the questions). This would take me about half an hour to 40 min. I would then finish the rest of the questions. Not more than 2 hrs on weekdays.. would probably average around an hour - hour and half everyday though. On the weekends I would study for about 3-4 hrs I think.

2. What did you do if you did not know a topic or had issues with a particular question type? Did you research them further or what did you do?
Thanks to the timer feature and the level of questions I would get the next day, I could tell where I was lagging. (Unfortunately the recommended questions do not include RC as of now but I can see there might be challenges in coding that :P ) Most of the times I would pick up questions which had a lot of comments so my doubts would be solved there itself. In other cases, I would sometimes ask my friends for help.

3. What did you use to keep track of your mistakes?
I had a notebook where I would note down all my mistakes and the solutions. Each day, before beginning my studies, I would read through the mistakes so overtime, I basically had a log of all my mistakes and I would know how to tackle them. I also noted down the mistakes in my error log on gmat club. Intuitively, I could tell which topics I was lagging in and I would try to practice more of them. For example, in RC, I was bad at humanities and social science while I was good at science, business and history passages. So I made it a point to practice more social science and humanities passages to just get used to them.

4. What practice tests did you use during your second run?
Though it might come as a surprise, I did not use any practice tests apart from the two official mocks that I gave.! My schedule was as such that towards the end I was actually solving half a paper on gmat club. So in essence, I was practicing for half a test everyday.! (Marathon runners do not actually run full marathons everyday.. its only on the important days that you need to power through and I went in with the same mentality) I did not have a problem in sitting in the same place for long hours because of the nature of my job so I knew I could power through. I spent a considerable amount of time going through both the mock tests reading up on where I could improve and my scores in the two mocks that I gave was quite clos (mock 1: 770, mock 2: 750; actual: 750)

I hope this helps! Will definitely try and post more!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Send PM
Re: A story of faith - Journey from 680 to 750 (only using GMAT club.!) [#permalink]
Thanks DisciplinedPrep .!

DisciplinedPrep wrote:
Congratulations on getting a solid 750 score and thank you for sharing a debrief. A perfect Q51 is another impressive feat. Indeed, it's a very inspiring story given that you managed to achieve such a high score improvement solely because of GMAT Club. I hope several other forum members take cognizance of the actual benefits of the forum. All the best with the applications.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Re: A story of faith - Journey from 680 to 750 (only using GMAT club.!) [#permalink]
Hello,

Wonderful stuff..indeed this is a great forum . I can't believe few people spread some baseless news that you can get lost here with the plethora of questions. I wish all of them can see your post.Here everything is very well moderated and organised.

Thanks again to people such as bb, Bunuel and others who work continuosly to make this forum great...good luck everyone

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2222 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Congratulations kartikazad
A very good debrief
All the best for your apps :)

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
WE:Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
bb wrote:
Welcome to GMAT Club kartikazad and thanks so much for your debrief! Kudos!

Honestly, I have never recommended that someone uses solely GMAT Club, but I am thrilled to see your success and I hope it will empower others to believe in themselves. I am thrilled you were using the recommended questions feature!!! Was your predicted score anywhere close? ;-)

I am seeing more and more success stories mentioning friends and encouragement people received from them (as arnavroy outlined in their post https://gmatclub.com/forum/my-gmat-jour ... 98084.html ) and sometimes friends and close ones believing in you more so than you do. Everyone has times of doubt and weakness, and it is important, as you outlined, and super helpful, to build a bit of a safety net and support net around oneself!

Reading books is what I attributed to my RC success. It is hard to tell how much it helped but I feel it helped both my SC and RC. Glad to see you had the same positive feedback!

2. What did you do if you did not know a topic or had issues with a particular question type? Did you research them further or what did you do?

Thanks again for posting your debrief! Hope to see more of your posts on the forum.
BB.

kartik

Judicious efforts.

As you mentioned that you were doing daily problem - how did you subscribed daily 9 problems and how to subscribe recommend question. Kindly assist so that it can help for others preparations...

Thanks !

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [2]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 770 Q60 V60
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Excellent job, kartikazad! What you did is what I call the "immersion experience", where you study consistently everyday, share your progress with others, and keep your eyes on the prize. This type of immersion experience gets your mind focused on the exam and rewires your brain to think like a test taker; over time, solving GMAT problems becomes second nature and you get into the zone when you actually sit down and take the test. Your persistence and dedication paid off. Congratulations!

And let's not forget to mention the great work GMAT Club is doing :)
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72889 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Look in your error log. There are daily recommended questions. I will add that into the OP’s post.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ucp.php?i=er ... _questions

gsmina wrote:
bb wrote:

Honestly, I have never recommended that someone uses solely GMAT Club, but I am thrilled to see your success and I hope it will empower others to believe in themselves. I am thrilled you were using the recommended questions feature!!! Was your predicted score anywhere close? ;-)

I am seeing more and more success stories mentioning friends and encouragement people received from them (as arnavroy outlined in their post https://gmatclub.com/forum/my-gmat-jour ... 98084.html ) and sometimes friends and close ones believing in you more so than you do. Everyone has times of doubt and weakness, and it is important, as you outlined, and super helpful, to build a bit of a safety net and support net around oneself!

Reading books is what I attributed to my RC success. It is hard to tell how much it helped but I feel it helped both my SC and RC. Glad to see you had the same positive feedback!

Thanks again for posting your debrief! Hope to see more of your posts on the forum.
BB.

kartik

Judicious efforts.

As you mentioned that you were doing daily problem - how did you subscribed daily 9 problems and how to subscribe recommend question. Kindly assist so that it can help for others preparations...

Thanks !

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
WE:Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Thanks ? BB, Though I noticed earlier but could not understand the right purpose until Kartik cleared it.
I am on it now.

Regards,
gs

bb wrote:
Look in your error log. There are daily recommended questions. I will add that into the OP’s post.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ucp.php?i=er ... _questions

gsmina wrote:
bb wrote:

BB.

kartik

Judicious efforts.

Thanks !

Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thanks again for your debrief kartikazad - I am including it in the newsletter tomorrow.

P.S. Are you now on to the applications? Have you chosen the schools yet? Or you taking a year or two off?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [1]
Send PM
Thanks bb for including it in the newsletter.!

Yes I am onto applications now. Have almost chosen my schools.. hope to nail it down by this week or the next :) Simultaneously, have also started documenting my life events and the various experiences that I have had so that I can use it in my essays later! I have about 4 years of experience till now and a master in statistics.. I think this is the right time to apply.. what do you think?

bb wrote:
Thanks again for your debrief kartikazad - I am including it in the newsletter tomorrow.

P.S. Are you now on to the applications? Have you chosen the schools yet? Or you taking a year or two off?
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
kartikazad wrote:

Yes I am onto applications now. Have almost chosen my schools.. hope to nail it down by this week or the next :) Simultaneously, have also started documenting my life events and the various experiences that I have had so that I can use it in my essays later! I have about 4 years of experience till now and a master in statistics.. I think this is the right time to apply.. what do you think?

bb wrote:

I think so! I would not wait much longer if you are ready for it.
There is always a question of how will you use your MBA and Why MBA and all those pesky things but as long as those parts make sense, the timing should be as good as it gets.

One thing to keep in mind, don't go too crazy with the number of schools and make sure you apply to schools that you are willing to attend. Otherwise, it is a waste of time, effort and $200 application fee :)

P.S. In case you were asking about R1 or R2, You can see a post I made here for R1 vs. R2: https://gmatclub.com/forum/round-1-vs-r ... 98430.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for the advice bb ! Great article as well! I was actually contemplating applying to two schools in R2 and 3 or 4 schools in R1; this article sort of re-establishes my faith in that so thanks a lot for the same :)

And I must say it was the hard choice bringing down the number of schools that I want to apply to down from 12 to 5-6. My current target is to bring it to a split of 2/3 stretch - 3 target - 0/1 safety schools.

Thanks again :)

bb wrote:
kartikazad wrote:

bb wrote:

I think so! I would not wait much longer if you are ready for it.
There is always a question of how will you use your MBA and Why MBA and all those pesky things but as long as those parts make sense, the timing should be as good as it gets.

One thing to keep in mind, don't go too crazy with the number of schools and make sure you apply to schools that you are willing to attend. Otherwise, it is a waste of time, effort and $200 application fee :)

P.S. In case you were asking about R1 or R2, You can see a post I made here for R1 vs. R2: https://gmatclub.com/forum/round-1-vs-r ... 98430.html
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts