It is currently 25 Feb 2018, 13:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A violin constructed to have improved sound would sound

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
A violin constructed to have improved sound would sound [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2009, 03:14
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

45% (01:15) correct 55% (01:35) wrong based on 276 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A violin constructed to have improved sound would sound different from the best-sounding existing violins. To professional violinists, a violin that sounds different from the best-sounding existing violins sounds less like a violin and therefore worse than the best-sounding existing violins. Professional violinists are the only accepted judges of the sound quality of violins.

Would be the best supported by those statements?
(A) Only amateur violinists should be asked to judge the sound quality of newly constructed violins.
(B) Professional violinists supervise the construction of violins.
(C) The best-sounding existing violins have been in existence fro several centuries.
(D) It is currently impossible to construct a violin that the only accepted judges will evaluate as having improved sound.
(E) It is possible to construct a violin that sounds better than the best-sounding existing violins to everyone but professional violinists.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by abhimahna on 15 Oct 2017, 09:12, edited 1 time in total.
Added OA
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Re: A violin constructed to have improved sound would sound [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2009, 04:00
This post received
KUDOS
raven678 wrote:
A violin constructed to have improved sound would sound different from the best-sounding existing violins.
To professional violinists, a violin that sounds different from the best-sounding existing violins sounds less like a violin and therefore worse than the best-sounding existing violins.
Professional violinists are the only accepted judges of the sound quality of violins.

My guess is D (assuming the question is what is the best conclusion?)

(A) Only amateur violinists should be asked to judge the sound quality of newly constructed violins.
Who should be asked to judge is out of scope.
Supervision of construction is out of scope.
(C) The best-sounding existing violins have been in existence fro several centuries.
How long these violins have been in existence is out of scope.
(D) It is currently impossible to construct a violin that the only accepted judges will evaluate as having improved sound.
This is what the passage implies.
(E) It is possible to construct a violin that sounds better than the best-sounding existing violins to everyone but professional violinists.
We do not know what non professionals think.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2009, 07:49
At first look it seemed D to me also. But I'd pick on E (maybe I'm reading too much into this :) )
here's why E...

It looks well connected.
New improved violins have different sounds -> professional violins don't accept different sounds and they are the only accepted judges -> so new improved violins cannot be created.

BUT on re-reading the first sentence, "Violin constructed to have improved sound"... is there a possibility that the violin is not constructed to have improved sound, but designed to please the professional judges?
On this basis I chose E over D (all the other options are stricken out).
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2009, 23:09
gmattokyo wrote:
At first look it seemed D to me also. But I'd pick on E (maybe I'm reading too much into this :) )
here's why E...

It looks well connected.
New improved violins have different sounds -> professional violins don't accept different sounds and they are the only accepted judges -> so new improved violins cannot be created.
BUT on re-reading the first sentence, "Violin constructed to have improved sound"... is there a possibility that the violin is not constructed to have improved sound, but designed to please the professional judges?
On this basis I chose E over D (all the other options are stricken out).

I agree "E". "D" is bit too extreme

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2009, 05:17
E for me, pls post OA
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2009, 05:35
My Answer would be D
E is our because it mentions
1) Violin constructed would have a better sound but we know that it only sounds differently
2) We do not know if people other than professionals like the sound of constructed violin or not.
OA please.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2009, 06:47
I like to go for D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2009, 22:48
What is the OA?

Posted from my mobile device
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2009, 05:02
This post received
KUDOS
OA is D......

the question is from 1000 CR

Infact somebody mentioned that D is too extreme...to which i don't agree
In option E its mentioned that It is possible to construct a violin that sounds better than the best-sounding existing violins to everyone but professional violinists..
this is too extreme as an assumtion as the author already mentions that "Professional violinists are the only accepted judges of the sound quality of violins". Since the target audience are professional violinists, we can't assume that it is possible to construct a violin that sounds better than exisitng violins to everyone.

I hope i am clear with my explanation
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2009, 12:21
A violin constructed to have improved sound would sound different from the best-sounding existing violins.
To professional violinists, a violin that sounds different from the best-sounding existing violins sounds less like a violin and therefore worse than the best-sounding existing violins.
Professional violinists are the only accepted judges of the sound quality of violins.

E is out of scope. As it goes beyond to suggest what would sound better to 'everyone'. We have no info on non-professionals
D correctly limits the scope to the discussion and fits the info

Hence D
TOEFL Forum Moderator
B
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2011, 00:18
The answer is D, as E goes beyond the scope of the stimulus, it suggests something which is not indicated in the stimulus. This is a must be true question, so we have to go by whatever is given in the stimulus.

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2015, 22:00
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
4 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
Schools: Simon '20
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2016, 23:39
This post received
KUDOS
I will go with D. As a lot of discussion has already been done, I will try to hit a subtle point here.
The passage explicitly talks about "best-sounding existing violins". So consider D, which says that its impossible to construct a violin that the only accepted judges would consider an Improved sound violin, which obviously will then become the best sounding violin, which is not possible since whatever sounds different from the existing best, and the new violin will sound different at stated in the passage, will be actually considered/judged worse. So we can never convince the judges of a differently albeit better sounding violin.

Show some love! Kudos if you liked it. :)

Spread some love..Like = +1 Kudos :)

Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Education)

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2018, 06:37
ShashankDave wrote:
I will go with D. As a lot of discussion has already been done, I will try to hit a subtle point here.
The passage explicitly talks about "best-sounding existing violins". So consider D, which says that its impossible to construct a violin that the only accepted judges would consider an Improved sound violin, which obviously will then become the best sounding violin, which is not possible since whatever sounds different from the existing best, and the new violin will sound different at stated in the passage, will be actually considered/judged worse. So we can never convince the judges of a differently albeit better sounding violin.

Show some love! Kudos if you liked it. :)

Good one ShashankDave. You nailed it with your explanation. D is best choice.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2018, 14:19
IMO OA is D

-> incorrect. Professinal violinists can judge that.
-> incorrect. Although professional violinists can judge the quality, we cannot assure that they supervise the manufacturing.
-> No information
-> correct.
The passage mentions that only professional violinist can judge the sound, and they think constructed violin sound is not similar to best-sounding existing violin's.
-> incorrect. The passage already argues that it is not possible.
Re: A violin constructed to have improved sound would sound   [#permalink] 18 Jan 2018, 14:19

A violin constructed to have improved sound would sound

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap