Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:44 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 6255 [6]
Given Kudos: 330
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [4]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 6255 [0]
Given Kudos: 330
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5096 [1]
Given Kudos: 289
Send PM
A young bull moose that is orphaned is likely to be [#permalink]
Bookmarks
A young bull moose that is orphaned is likely to be at a severe disadvantage and is often unable to protect itself against predators.

likely to be at a severe disadvantage and is often unable to
likely severely disadvantaged and often unable to
liable to be severely disadvantaged and cannot often
liable that it is at a severe disadvantage and cannot often
at a severe disadvantage, often likely to be unable that it can

OE
A vertical scan reveals three basic issues: (i) "likely" versus "liable"; (ii) "at a severe disadvantage" versus "severely disadvantaged"; and (iii) "often unable to" versus "cannot often" versus "unable that it can". We will address these issues one at a time.
On the GMAT, "liable to" is acceptable when followed by a negative possibility; therefore, we cannot use this issue to eliminate answers here.
The word "disadvantaged" is typically used in a socio-economic context; therefore, its use here is questionable. That makes (B) and (C) questionable, but since the word "disadvantaged" is not outright wrong, let's examine the third issue before eliminating answers.
"Unable that it can" is idiomatically incorrect so we eliminate (E). "Cannot often" implies that every orphaned bull moose is unable to protect itself against frequent attacks by predators. While this may be true, this changes the meaning of the original sentence. In the original sentence, "often unable to" implies that many orphaned bull moose are not able to protect themselves against predators. Thus we eliminate (C) and (D).
That leaves (A) and (B). Based on the above discussion of "disadvantaged" versus " at a . . . disadvantage", we eliminate (B), and (A) is our best answer.

Hi, I choose "likely" instead of "liable". But, I feel "is likely to be" is awkward.
Can anyone explain why this is the best answer, please.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: A young bull moose that is orphaned is likely to be [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Can’t say for sure whether A is awkward; but all others are much more awkward
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 413 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT Date: 03-04-2014
GPA: 3.77
WE:Analyst (Retail Banking)
Send PM
B) likely severely disadvantaged and often unable to Faulty grammatical structure.
C) liable to be severely disadvantaged and cannot often While correct, the change from "likely" to "liable" cannot be justified in my opinion.
D) liable that it is at a severe disadvantage and cannot often Change of meaning + Wordiness
E) at a severe disadvantage, often likely to be unable that it can Faulty grammatical structure.

--

A) likely to be at a severe disadvantage and is often unable to Correct grammatical structure when compared to other answers, plus it's probably the most concise answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Operations, General Management
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
OA is A for this...............
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Re: A young bull moose that is orphaned is likely to be at [#permalink]
Gnpth wrote:
"pqhai" Thanks for the Wonderful explanation. :-D

Here is the Official Explanation for the question,

We have 3 things to look at here,

(i) "likely" versus "liable";
(ii) "at a severe disadvantage" versus "severely disadvantaged"; and
(iii) "often unable to" versus "cannot often" versus "unable that it can"

"liable to" is acceptable when followed by a negative possibility; therefore, we cannot use this.

"Cannot often" implies that every orphaned bull moose is unable to protect itself against frequent attacks by predators- This may be true, but changes the meaning of the sentence. Thus we eliminate (C) and (D).

"Unable that it can" is idiomatically incorrect so we eliminate (E).

The word "disadvantaged" is typically used in a socio-economic context; therefore, its use here is questionable. Though it is not wrong completely.

But when comparing "severely disadvantaged" with "at a severe disadvantage ", The later seems to good usage, so we eliminate B.

so the Answer is A.

hello, can you explain more to me about "liable to"?
Thank you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 118
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
The sentence as written has no grammatical errors. One potential problem would be a lack of parallelism in the two-part predicate "A ... moose ... is likely to be ... and is often unable to protect ...." However, the sentence is in correct parallel form. A glance at the answer choices shows that the question may be testing the choice and placement of "likely" or "liable," but "likely" is correctly used here. However, some of the answer choices would create shorter sentences, potentially reducing wordiness, so check them for errors before choosing (A).

The beginnings of the answer choices are worded in a variety of ways that makes grouping difficult. However, one way to group the answer choices is with the placement of "often" toward the end. (A) and (B) have "often unable to," (C) and (D) move often to the end with "cannot often," and (E) moves it forward with "often likely to be unable that it can."

(B) is the shortest choice and uses "often" in the same position as in the original sentence, preserving its meaning. However, (B) introduces a parallel structure error by removing the word "is" from the second part of the compound predicate. Eliminate.

By moving "often" from before "unable" to before "protect," (C) and (D) subtly change the meaning of the sentence. They also incorrectly replace "is" with "cannot" and introduce parallel structure errors. The "moose ... is liable that it is" in (D) is very awkward to the point of being nonsensical. Eliminate both of these.

The "often likely to be unable that it can protect itself" of (E) is gibberish, and the movement of "likely" from before the idea that the moose is at a disadvantage to before its inability to protect itself subtly changes the meaning of the sentence. Throw out this one.

(A) is correct. The sentence contains no errors as written, and the other choices offer no improvement.

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts