Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 21:10 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 21:10
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Aligning Your Resume With Your Application Essays [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Aligning Your Resume With Your Application Essays

“Aligning Your Resume With Your Application Essays” is the latest post in our series, Navigate the MBA Maze.

MBA and other graduate school applicants frequently submit a resume with their applications. Many schools require it, and some schools, such as Columbia Business School, even specify a given format. The resume not only will present a valuable context for your other materials, but it also will give the adcom readers an easy point of reference as they read your essays.

To use the resume strategically in the application, you must align it with your essays. First, follow the basic rules of good resume writing for your MBA application resume. Beyond that, there are several points to consider in preparing your resume for your graduate school applications:

1. The resume can free up space in your essays. By summarizing your experience, responsibilities, and achievements in the resume, you don’t have to worry about cramming every noteworthy item into your essays or sketching out your career path. Rather, you can be very selective and detailed in the experiences you do elaborate on in the essays. These two components, the essays and the resume, should complement each other rather than being redundant. When they harmonize, they sharpen your message and give both depth and breadth to your application.

2. Be consistent in your resume and essays. Refer to companies, job titles, departments, technologies, and other items in the same way in both pieces. Not only does this practice prevent confusion, it also heightens the unity and coherence of the overall application.

3. Review your essays and determine whether there are particular skills, abilities, talents, or experiences that you should reinforce. Then use your resume to do so. For example, if your verbal score was low, presumably you demonstrated your verbal skills in your essays. Use the resume to further strengthen the impression of strong verbal skills.

4. Your goals anchor your application essays and statements of purpose. Everything you write should directly or indirectly relate to them. So should the resume. In selecting the experiences and accomplishments to highlight, give the resume a slant that reflects your goals.

Related Resources:

The Quick Guide to Admissions Resumes

How to Give Your Application as Much Weight as Possible

• Write a Resume That is Readable, Impactful, and Unique

Tags: MBA Admissions

The post Aligning Your Resume With Your Application Essays appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
The Best Thing You’ll Do This Week For Your MBA Plans Only Takes an Ho [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: The Best Thing You’ll Do This Week For Your MBA Plans Only Takes an Hour

If you do one thing this week to advance your MBA candidacy, make it this: join us for 7 Steps to MBA Acceptance in 2018! With Accepted’s Founder Linda Abraham as your guide, you’ll learn concrete, action-based steps you can take this spring that will strengthen your MBA applications next fall and winter.

You’ll learn how to:

• Refine your goals.

• Choose the right MBA programs to apply to.

• Mitigate weaknesses.

Don’t miss it! Register now!

Date: Wednesday, March 22nd

Time: ​10 am PT/ 1 pm ET and 5 pm PT/ 8 pm ET

The post The Best Thing You’ll Do This Week For Your MBA Plans Only Takes an Hour appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
The Best Thing You’ll do This Week for Your MBA Plans Only Takes an Ho [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: The Best Thing You’ll do This Week for Your MBA Plans Only Takes an Hour

If you do one thing this week to advance your MBA candidacy, make it this:join us for 7 Steps to MBA Acceptance in 2018! With Accepted’s Founder Linda Abraham as your guide, you’ll learn concrete, action-based steps you can take this spring that will strengthen your MBA applications next fall and winter.

You’ll learn how to:

• Refine your goals.

• Choose the right MBA programs to apply to.

• Mitigate weaknesses.

Don’t miss it! Register now!

Date: Wednesday, March 22nd

Time: ​10 am PT/ 1 pm ET and 5 pm PT/ 8 pm ET

The post The Best Thing You’ll do This Week for Your MBA Plans Only Takes an Hour appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
Your MBA Goals Essay: Get Ready, Get Set, THINK! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Your MBA Goals Essay: Get Ready, Get Set, THINK!

You’ll be applying to b-school this fall, aiming for the Round 1 deadlines. You may also be working full-time, juggling a few other responsibilities, and perhaps trying to hike up that GMAT score.

You really don’t have time to spare.

So let’s get down to business and start crossing items off your application to-do list so that when the apps are released, you’ll be ready to hit the ground running.

Pre-Application To-Do: Define Those Goals!

The first thing you need to do is to start defining your MBA goal – the more introspection you do before you write your MBA goals essay, the faster and smoother the actual writing of the essay will be later on.

To begin, spend time and jot down possible specific roles and industries that you’d be able to discuss in an MBA goals essay.

The challenge here is to think of goals that go beyond the obvious (or at least to think of an original way to express your less-than-original goals). For example, “I want to go into marketing” won’t cut it on its own, but if marketing is a passion and a goal of yours, then there are other ways to frame it without falling into the boring, generic trap, mainly through the use of details.

Defining with Details

The details that surround your MBA goals are what will make your goals essay stand out from all the other future marketers in the stack. Details will make your essay interesting, credible, and individualized.

5 More Tips for Writing about Goals

Here are some tips you should keep in mind when preparing for writing a compelling, extraordinary MBA goals essay:

1. Distinguish between short-term, long-term, and intermediate goals. At each of these stages, what would your ideal position be? What type of company? And in what industry? These positions/companies/industries may change as you transition from the short-term to the long-term. Use specific examples of job titles and companies to further illustrate how much you’ve thought about your future.

2. Continue to identify the details of the short- and long-term and the intermediate goals by thinking about what specific goals you’d like to accomplish during each of the phases. Don’t just talk about what you want to get out of an experience, but about the impact you want to have on the people that you encounter and the industry during that time.

3. Do your research so that your goals prove realistic. Look up hiring trends, services, organization, market status, products, competitive concerns, etc. at your desired companies. Now is the time to do all this research!

4. Become familiar with the challenges of your chosen industry. Are there any current events that have affected your industry?

5. Be prepared to discuss why you’re attracted to your target positions/industry. Most questions won’t specifically ask about your motivations for pursuing your particular goals, but keeping your motivations in mind while you write will help you present a more engaging story with a stronger message – ingredients that will further help your essay stand out.

Following these steps during the pre-writing stage of your goals essay will help you formulate a clear, compelling, and original portrayal of what your goals are. It will also make the actual writing of the essay move more quickly and effortlessly. Use your time wisely and pace yourself – those applications will be released before you know it!

Related Resources:

Why MBA?, a free guide

4 Things To Do If You Can’t Define Your MBA Goals

Write an MBA Goals Essays that Turns the Adcom into Your Cheerleaders!

The post Your MBA Goals Essay: Get Ready, Get Set, THINK! appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
One Size Does NOT Fit All – Resume Writing Tips [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: One Size Does NOT Fit All – Resume Writing Tips

“I don’t understand….. I already have a perfect resume…. I have used it in all of my job searches….. I don’t need to make any changes….. I really don’t need help with this.” This was from Carina, a prospective Master in Environmental Engineering student. I was somewhat surprised by the response since Carina clearly welcomed my assistance on her graduate essays for the Master’s program as well as interview and letter of reference guidance. And yet I was faced with almost a brick wall of resistance as it related to her resume.

When I asked her why she was so certain that her current resume was appropriate for her graduate application, she responded with silence. I told her that I could help her to create a resume designed specifically for the graduate program in environmental engineering. I calmly shared with her that compiling all of the application materials is very similar to what corporate marketing professionals do when they are preparing sales literature, making package design decisions and launching an advertising campaign to introduce a new product to the market. In this case, however, the new product that you are launching is you. Your resume is an integral piece of sales literature that, if done well, can help market you to the graduate program of your choice. So how it looks, what you include, what you exclude, how well you highlight your strengths, the order and labels ascribed to the various categories will all impact their perception of who you are and what you have to offer. I shocked her even more when I added that when it comes to resumes “One Size Does NOT Fit All”– one resume will not be appropriate for every job and/or educational opportunity. In fact, over the years, I have helped prospective graduate students to prepare multiple versions of what they thought was the same resume.

Carina was clearly confused so I offered to provide her with some marketing strategies that could easily be applied to the art of resume writing. And here they are:

STRATEGY ONE: Consider the target audience. Just as the marketing professional does, you need to consider carefully who will be reading your resume.

• If the application materials are reviewed by committee, it may prove helpful to know how many people sit on the committee, who they are, if any of them have research interests that match up well with yours?

• If the application is reviewed by a graduate program director, then you would do well to have an understanding of how you might be perceived as a candidate based on the admissions criteria of the program. Put yourself in their place. What would impress you the most on the resume.

• Whether it is one director or a committee, get to know as much about them as you can so that you will have a sense of their area of expertise, their interests.

• Remember, when you are selling a product (yourself) you need to know what will move your audience to action.

• Prepare a prototype of a resume that you believe would “close the sale.” And then, as much as possible, model yours based on the prototype.

STRATEGY TWO: Assess your strengths in relation to all of the resume categories.

• Sit yourself down and prepare a list of your professional skills. This will include such items as work leadership positions, special licenses and/or certifications, promotions within your work setting, committee work (task force, team based initiatives project leadership, special assignments, etc.).

• Prioritize the list in terms of how important and/or relevant they are to the graduate program criteria. This will ensure that you spotlight those strengths that will impress your target audience. For example, if you are applying to an MBA or MS in Finance, you will need to highlight your internship at a major banking institution and either downplay your camp counselor experience or omit it from your resume. You are, in a sense, seeking out your “selling points.” In other words what about this product makes it so special that I would like to buy it. Remember the product is you.

• Put yourself in the place of the graduate admissions committee for this program. Then consider which of the strengths that you possess will be most impressive.

• Prepare another list of your academic achievements, research and publications, community service, special skills and talents, licenses and certifications. Once you have the list consider, once again, which will impact your candidacy for the graduate program. For example, a graduate program in architecture may not really care if you are licensed lifeguard but may care very much if you are CAD certified. So once again you must always consider your target audience.

STRATEGY THREE: Format your resume strategically.

• Make every effort to keep you resume short, direct, and to the point. Make it as easy to read as possible.

• Once again consider your target audience. If Community Service is highly valued by your graduate program, then it is incumbent on you to have a category called “Community Service.” If you list it under extracurricular activities or volunteer work, it will not make the same impact. In fact, it may not even be noticed buried among items such as “played on the tennis team”, “enjoy theater”, etc.

• Use language carefully and strategically. Check out the Mission statement of the school or graduate program as this will be a good indicator of the values and qualities that they embrace. Then make sure that this is reflected in the items that you include.

• Order the categories based on importance. For example, if the resume is for a job, you would list your current jobs first with dates of employment followed by a bulleted list of your responsibilities. Job title can be included if you believe it will make you more marketable. If your resume is for a graduate program, the first category would be education and degrees earned or expected. Again, one size does NOT fit all, so, if you are applying for an MBA or EMBA you may want to change the order especially if there is a work requirement for the program. For these programs, professional experience should precede educational credentials.

• Name the categories so that they appropriately reflect the items listed. If, for example, you have some work experience and some internships you may want to separate them into two sections. Certifications and Licenses should be a separate section.

After reviewing all of the strategies, Carina looked me right in the eyes and said, “OMG, I had no idea. You could teach a class on this.” I smiled and said, “I have taught workshops and seminars on this very topic and, from time to time, have included a unit on job interviewing/resume writing in my interpersonal communications classes.” No further resistance from Carina. She went right to work on a new and improved resume and shared that she would always remember how the phrase “one size does not fit all” helped her get accepted.

Work with an admissions expert to create a personalized resume strategy that will help you get accepted! Check out our Admissions Resume Services

By Carol Drummer, Former Hofstra University Dean of Graduate Admissions, who for 10 years reviewed and signed off on over 4500 admissions decisions per year and has taught communications and rhetoric since 1991. Want Carol to help your write a successful admissions resume? Click here to get in touch!

Related Resources:

• Write a Resume That is Readable, Impactful, and Unique

• Six Tips For Better Resumes

• How to Write the Qualifications Summary for Your Resume

Tags: College Admissions, Grad School Admissions, Law School Admissions, MBA Admissions, Medical School Admissions

The post One Size Does NOT Fit All – Resume Writing Tips appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
Tu Perfil para el MBA: La Importancia de las Actividades Extracurricul [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Tu Perfil para el MBA: La Importancia de las Actividades Extracurriculares

En los artículos anteriores explorábamos la importancia que tienen tu rendimiento académico, el GMAT, y tu experiencia profesional para tu aplicación al MBA. En este artículo abordaremos el cuarto elemento importante para tu perfil: las actividades extracurriculares.

Con actividades extracurriculares me refiero a cualquier actividad o proyecto (usualmente sin remuneración) fuera de tus horas de trabajo. Estas actividades pueden ser desde jugar fútbol los sábados con tus amigos hasta servir de voluntario en proyectos de beneficencia.

¿Por qué son tan importantes para tu solicitud de admisión? Las oficinas de admisiones de los MBA buscan personas involucradas en este tipo de actividades por los siguientes motivos:

1. Estar involucrado en actividades extracurriculares demuestra una persona que tiene otros intereses fuera del trabajo, que se preocupa por su comunidad y está dispuesto a sacrificar su tiempo para hacer algo productivo por los otros.

2. Usualmente, actividades de este tipo fortalecen las habilidades de liderazgo y trabajo en equipo, esenciales para tu aplicación al MBA.

3. Las personas que están involucradas en actividades fuera del trabajo usualmente también se involucrarán como estudiantes de MBA en actividades fuera de la clase, como organizaciones y clubs, y consecuentemente llegarán a ser exalumnos dispuestos a ayudar a su escuela en el futuro.

Si al día de hoy no estás involucrado en ninguna actividad extracurricular, no esperes más para hacerlo. No existe un reglamento fijo de cuál es el mejor tipo de actividad o cuál es el mejor lugar para hacerlo. Busca algo que te guste y te apasione. Si te gustan las matemáticas, puedes ayudarle a un grupo de niños con sus tareas de matemáticas. Si lo que te apasiona es el deporte, puedes formar un equipo de deportes cerca de donde vives. Si prefieres ayudarle a una organización, puedes servir unas horas al mes a la Cruz Roja u otra organización similar. El dedicarle unas horas de tu tiempo a proyectos de este tipo te ayudará no solamente con tu perfil para el MBA sino también a crecer como persona. Demostrará que eres alguien que se preocupa por los demás, que se interesa por su comunidad y no le importa dar de su tiempo para ayudar a otros. Te ayudará en tu aplicación al MBA, y en tus entrevistas de trabajo posteriores.

Si te gustaría tener una guía professional que te ayude con tus aplicaciones para el MBA, considera los servicios MBA essay editing o MBA Application Packages. Ambos incluyen asesoramiento general, revisión de los ensayos, entrenamiento para las entrevistas, y revisión de tu hoja de vida (Curriculum Vitae).

Por Esmeralda Cardenal, ex Directora Asociada de Admisiones de la Escuela de Negocios de Yale, ex Directora de Admisiones de MBA de Michigan State University, y consultora para Cardiff Business School en el Reino Unido. A Esmeralda le encantaría ayudarte a preparar tu solicitud de admisión al MBA de la mejor manera posible y contestar tus preguntas. Si quieres que Esmeralda te ayude a que te admitan a un programa de MBA, haz click aquí para ponerte en contacto con ella.

Related Resources:

Tu Perfil para el MBA: El Rendimiento Académico

Leadership in Admissions, free guide

• The Importance of Teamwork

The post Tu Perfil para el MBA: La Importancia de las Actividades Extracurriculares appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
Affordable Online Test Prep [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Affordable Online Test Prep

We are now getting calls from applicants who plan to plan to apply in the summer, fall, and winter to matriculate in 2018. A few have all their ducks lined up – test score in place, school visits planned, a GPA they’re proud of, and maybe they’re just rounding out their profile to put icing on the application cake. Others wish they had the test score they wanted. And still others are studying for, or more likely, planning to start test prep to take their particular exam for the first time. Those applicants – the ones still dealing with aptitude exams – are probably the majority of applicants preparing to apply in the upcoming application cycle.

Because so many people are thinking about test prep, I’ve invited Bhavin Parikh, CEO & Co-Founder of Magoosh back to Admissions Straight Talk. His company is an innovative leader in the online test prep industry. Magoosh is, according to its website, “an affordable online test prep company the offers study programs and apps for the GRE, GMAT, LSAT, MCAT, SAT, ACT, TOEFL AND Praxis.” Bhavin attended Duke University where he earned a joint BS/BA in Economics and Computer Science. He then worked for Deloitte Consulting for 5 years and attended UC Berkeley’s Haas School of Business where he earned his MBA and co-founded Magoosh with three others. Welcome, Bhavin!

What does Magoosh provide? [2:10]

We help students prepare for standardized tests. The broader mission of the company is helping people overcome barriers at various points in their careers – standardized tests are one of those barriers as people enter college or grad school.

We offer a web-based product – people can sign up for a free trial. Our courses include short video lessons explaining concepts, and then people can do practice questions. We also provide a service where people can reach out with questions.

Is it a monthly subscription? Or a fee for a set period of time? [3:18]

It’s a set fee, generally for six or 12 months. Most of the products are $100 or $150.

Is Magoosh intended to be a standalone course, or a supplement to other study methods (such as classes or tutoring)? [4:05]

When we started seven to eight years ago, it was meant more as a supplement. Now it’s effectively standalone. But given our price-point, many people do use it as a supplement to a class.

What is distinctive about Magoosh? [5:18]

We have in-house content experts who’ve been tutoring this material for years, and we update our content based on data from our users. Since our content creation is in-house, we can see where students are getting stuck and where we can improve.

So you’re looking at data as well as qualitative feedback? [6:40]

Yes. We collect both qualitative and quantitative information. For example, we collect a “like” rate on each video, so we know how students are responding. But we also track requests for help – if we get a lot of requests for help on the same video, we know we need to update something or add an explanation.

Are you using AI or adaptive learning? [8:45]

We’re using some adaptive learning technology. Since the early days of Magoosh, we’ve used an adaptive algorithm that contributes to our product and makes sure students are provided questions at the right level for them to learn what they need to. The GMAT is adaptive itself, and that was part of our impetus early on.

We focus on content first, then technology, but the adaptive element is important.

When do you recommend people start preparing for exams? [11:10]

Our experts recommend three to six months. We have study schedules that guide people on a one month, three month, six month study plan – but for your schedule/sanity, it’s most manageable if you have three to six months to study.

It also depends on the test and your starting level. We have a team of tutors who can provide a personalized estimate.

How much does it cost? [13:30]

Most of our services are between $100-150.

We generally respond to questions within one to two weekdays. We want to provide high quality service at a fraction of the cost of a class. We also have one month plans at a lower cost.

How does access to a tutor work? [14:40]

It’s email access. You can email our help email. There’s also a “help” button on every page – then our tutors can see the question/page you were looking at.

You just released a GRE prep book. Can you tell us about that? [15:50]

We realized some students wanted something physical to work from – they might not always have web access, or some people just prefer to have a book sometimes.

Our content has been used by tens of thousands of people – we’ve collected that data and created a book. We thought it would be a great way to reach more people. If you buy the book, you get a discount for the online product.

Is the book a supplement to the online course? Or a replacement? [17:40]

It’s not a full replacement for the online course – there are no videos or access to tutors. So it’s more of a supplement.

Can you tell us about the new MCAT product? [18:25]

It’s new, so we don’t have practice questions up yet. But we do have videos. Currently the price is $49. That will go up to $100 once we add the practice questions.

MCAT prep is often very expensive, so this is a product we’re very excited about.

We hired an MCAT expert – we always have an in-house curriculum manager.

Is there anything else new at Magoosh? [20:30]

We’re releasing an IELTS product soon – in about a month. About two million people worldwide take the IELTS each year.

We’ve also realized that a portion of the population wants more personalized guidance, so we’re experimenting with tutoring sessions. That’ll be more than our basic $100, but less than typical tutoring rates.

There’s a lot of ferment in the ed tech world. Is there anything you see in the future for Magoosh? [22:20]

We try to think about what will serve our students best. For tutoring, it’ll be some kind of video chat. We’ve been expanding our use of apps. We’ve also been expanding our use of voice apps: for those who have an Amazon Alexa, we have a vocabulary game in the Alexa store for people to practice their vocabulary.

What really matters is the student who’s studying for one of the most important exams of their life – an entrance exam for college or grad school.

On a personal note, it’s now about 7 years since you earned your MBA at Haas and nine years since you started Magoosh. What’s your perspective on the value of the MBA and your Haas experience now? [26:00]

I would not be where I am today – and Magoosh would not exist – if not for my Haas MBA. The education, network, and professional opportunities were so important.

You get a really strong, broad education in how to run a business – so when you come out, you have those tools at your disposal. The Haas network is so important in terms of building partnerships, recruiting, etc. (We have some Haas MBAs on our team.) In terms of professional opportunities – as an MBA student, you have the chance to meet people and build your career. We were able to meet investors and raise capital.

What keeps Magoosh going? [30:40]

The people: the team is wonderful. Everyone really cares about the students and the mission. Seeing the company grow is really exciting and motivating.

Any advice for applicants preparing to take standardized tests? [32:05]

Don’t wait until the last minute, like I did! Check out our products – we also offer lots of free material.

Related Links:

Magoosh

• Articles by Magoosh on the Accepted Admissions Blog

A Review of the Magoosh GRE Prep Program5 Killer GMAT Prep Tips, on demand webinar

5 Killer GRE Prep Tips, on demand webinarhttps://blog.accepted.com/tag/magoosh/

Related Shows:

• Firecracker – A Dynamite Way to Approach Med School Education

• Individual Mobile Test Prep and the MIT Sloan MBA Who Created It

• A Cure for MCAT Anxiety and Lots More MCAT Advice

• Haas, McCombs, and Case Interviews

• Exploring the Haas MBA: An Interview with Peter Johnson

• MCAT Expertise + Harvard MBA Experience

Subscribe:

Tags: Admissions Straight Talk, Grad School Admissions, MBA Admissions, Medical School Admissions

The post Affordable Online Test Prep [Episode 198] appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
How Can You Show Passion in Admissions? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: How Can You Show Passion in Admissions?

When one thinks of passion, one doesn’t generally think of investment bankers. But the admissions committees are looking for passion in their applicants; so how are you – a computer guy, an engineer, a biology major, or yes, an investment banker – going to craft a winning application that shows them the passion they’re looking for?

“Passion” has a sexy ring to it. An emotional, visceral appeal. It evokes images of glamorous actors and actresses in hot and heavy romances. The good guy in a Frank Capra film changing history. Generals exhorting the troops before sending them into battle.

Forget the steamy romances. Forget the hero delivering a stirring speech. Forget the generals addressing their troops.

That’s not what we’re talking about in admissions.

“Passion” in admissions – be it college, MBA, law school, medical school, or grad school – means dedication. It means commitment. It requires action over time. It can be very calculated and goal oriented, and not at all glamorous. It may lead to a feverish culmination, an earth-shattering moment, and it may not. It can be any one of the following and an infinite number of other activities:

• Spending hours practicing the cello day-in and day-out, year after year.

Assuming responsibility for an annual silent auction that raises thousands of dollars for your favorite cause during the five years that you have chaired it.

• Training and training and training so that you beat your personal best in the race of your choice.

• Volunteering at a medical or legal clinic twice a week since your sophomore year in college.

Next time you see the word “passion” in an admissions context, look between the lines. Read it as “dedication.” And those calculating, number-crunching, spreadsheet addicts among you, remember this equation: Passion = Action + Dedication.

Related Resources:

Leadership in Admissions, a free guide

• “I’m Smart, Really I Am!” Proving Character Traits in your Essays

• 4 Ways to Show How You’ll Contribute in the Future

Tags: Admissions Consulting, College Admissions, Grad School Admissions, Law School Admissions, MBA Admissions, Medical School Admissions

The post How Can You Show Passion in Admissions? appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
MBA Admissions: Selecting Your Recommenders [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: MBA Admissions: Selecting Your Recommenders

“MBA Admissions: Selecting Your Recommenders” is the latest post in our series, Navigate the MBA Maze.

The best letters of recommendation come from people who have seen you perform. The weakest letters are of the “character reference” variety (from the clergy member who knows you only as a person who dozes during weekly services) or the VIP genre (from influential people like your mother’s college roommate’s sister, who is on an admissions committee). In both cases, the recommender barely knows you. A letter need not be lengthy to be effective, and the writer need not have known you since grade school. A letter from an immediate supervisor who describes your work and rates your performance as much stronger than that of other employees in similar positions, tells an admissions committee something significant about you.

It’s important to avoid repetition and duplication in your letters. “Only one recommendation per single source” is a good rule of thumb. Each letter should highlight a different facet of you and your accomplishments and, ideally, present you from a different vantage point. If you have a job in which you report to more than one person, don’t ask each person for a letter. Ask one of them and then ask another supervisor from a different project or a previous position.

Last but not least, request your letters in person whenever possible, and give each recommender a copy of your resume and your personal statement. Ask the person if s/he is able to write you a strong letter, and offer to provide any additional material the person requests.

Related Resources:

• Navigating the MBA Maze

• MBA Letters Of Recommendation

• 10 Tips for Writing MBA Letters of Recommendation

The post MBA Admissions: Selecting Your Recommenders appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
Approaching The Diversity Essay Question [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Approaching The Diversity Essay Question

Many applications now have a question, sometimes optional, geared to encouraging people with minority backgrounds or unusual educational or family histories to write about their background.

How Are YOU Diverse?

First the easy answer: If you are an immigrant to the US, the child of immigrants or someone whose ethnicity is a minority in the US, you might find this question an interesting one to show how your background will add to the mix of perspectives at the program you are applying to.

Of course if you’re not a minority and don’t fall into one of those categories (and those are elements that you have no control over, so you can’t just jump into one of those categories), that doesn’t mean that you don’t have anything to write about. If you are applying to school after having an unusual experience for applicants, like serving in the military, becoming part of a dance troupe, or caring for disabled relative, you can use your experience to evoke the way in which you will bring diversity to campus.

Why Does Diversity Matter?

The more diverse perspectives found in the classroom, throughout the dorms, in the dining halls, and mixed into study groups, the richer the discussions will be and the more creative the teams will become. Plus, learning and growing in this multicultural environment will prepare students for working in our increasingly multicultural and global world.

Different Ways to Show Your Diversity

Your family’s culture, situation and traditions, and the way they have helped you develop particular character and personality traits are of interest, as are unusual experiences that have shaped you. Here are some examples you could write about:

1. You grew up with a strong insistence on respecting elders, attending family events or learning your parents’ native language and culture.

2. You are close to grandparents and extended family who have taught you how teamwork can help everyone survive.

3. You have had to face and deal with difficulties that stem from your parents’ values being in conflict with those of your peers.

4. Teachers have not always understood the elements of your culture or outside-of-school situation and how they pertain to your school performance.

5. You suffered from discrimination and formed your values and personality traits around your success in spite of the discrimination.

6. You learned skills from a lifestyle that is outside the norm – living in foreign countries as the child of diplomats or contractors, performing professionally in theater, dance, music, or sports, or communicating with a deaf sibling.

It’s not just about who your parents are. It’s about who you are – to the core. Your background, your influences, your religious observances, your language, your ideas, your work environment, your community experiences – all of these factors come together to create a unique individual, an individual who can contribute to a diverse class and a diverse world.

Writing about Diversity

Your answer for the diversity question should focus on how your experiences have built your empathy for others, your resilience, your character, and your ideas. WHO are you? WHAT have you done? HOW do you think? These elements will serve as the framework for your essay.

Remember: You don’t need to be a tight-rope walker living in the Andes to pass the diversity test. You need to have invested yourself in the world of diversity – to have lived and breathed uniqueness – in order to write successfully about how you will contribute to your school’s diverse population.

Related Resources:

• From Example to Exemplary, a free guide to writing outstanding application essays

What to Do if You Belong to an Overrepresented Applicant Group

• Different Dimensions of Diversity, a podcast episode

Tags: College Admissions, Grad School Admissions, Law School Admissions, MBA Admissions, Medical School Admissions

The post Approaching The Diversity Essay Question appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
Create Your MBA Action Plan! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Create Your MBA Action Plan!

If you missed our webinar 7 Steps to MBA Acceptance in 2018, don’t worry!

It’s not too late to learn the key strategy steps Accepted Founder Linda Abraham shared. The webinar is now available for on-demand viewing.

In just an hour, cut through the noise and misinformation to get at what you need to know: how to create a winning MBA application.

The post Create Your MBA Action Plan! appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
Tu Perfil para el MBA: El Manejo del Idioma [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Tu Perfil para el MBA: El Manejo del Idioma

En los artículos anteriores abordábamos los primeros 4 elementos de tu perfil del MBA: 1. Tu rendimiento académico; 2. La importancia del GMAT; 3. La importancia de tu experiencia profesional; 4. La importancia de actividades extracurriculares. El quinto elemento es a primera vista el más obvio, pero es tan decisivo para tu admisión como los 4 elementos anteriores.

Si has decidido sacar un MBA en inglés necesitarás probar que dominas muy bien ese idioma, tanto hablado como escrito. Usualmente, a menos que hayas estudiado tu carrera en un país de habla inglesa, necesitarás tomar alguno de los exámenes de inglés como segundo idioma requeridos por el programa. Los más comunes son el TOEFL y el IELTS. Para ello, es importante que te prepares bien y que conozcas con anticipación el formato del examen, su duración, y el puntaje mínimo que requieren las escuelas de negocios que te interesan.

Además de tener un buen desempeño en tu examen de inglés como segundo idioma, es importante que tu puntaje en la parte verbal del GMAT o GRE sea alto, y que los ensayos de tu solicitud estén libres de errores gramaticales y estructurales. Para mejorar tu dominio del idioma, recomiendo lo siguiente:

1. Aumenta tu lectura en inglés, sobre todo acerca de asuntos de negocios globales y actuales. Lee a diario The Wall Street Journal, The Financial Times, y The Economist.

2. Lee libros de cualquier tipo en inglés. Si son de negocios, mejor aún.

3. Ve películas o programas de televisión, oye el radio, ve videos, escucha podcasts y audiolibros. Por ejemplo, aprovecha el tiempo que pasas en tu auto para escuchar audiolibros y podcasts en inglés.

4. Participa en blogs, o empieza el tuyo.

5. Practica con amigos que hablan inglés, asiste a eventos o conferencias en inglés, busca la oportunidad de hablar en inglés y practicar.

6. Considera unirte a un programa de intercambio de idiomas por internet (si buscas “Online Language Exchange” en Google te aparecerán muchas oportunidades). En estas comunidades, usualmente de acceso gratuito, te comprometes a interactuar por Skype u otro software parecido con alguien que habla inglés a cambio de ayudarles con su español. Esta experiencia, además de ayudarle a tu inglés, podría ser un punto interesante para traer a colación en tus ensayos o tu entrevista.

7. Considera tomar cursos en inglés avanzados, sobre todo de conversación, donde puedas hablar y escribirlo.

Si en tu vida diaria te desenvuelves principalmente en español y existen pocas las oportunidades para estar expuesto al inglés, es importante que busques la manera de practicarlo. La mayoría de los programas de MBA requieren un nivel de comprensión del idioma bastante alto, y esperan que sepas escribirlo y hablarlo muy bien. Debido a la gran diversidad de la facultad y estudiantes de los programas más competitivos, esperan que sepas entender diferentes acentos y que participes fluidamente en las clases. Aun cuando toda tu instrucción académica haya sido en inglés y no necesites tomar el TOEFL, es importante que sigas estos consejos para practicarlo informalmente, y así asegurarte que tienes un dominio completo del idioma.

Si te gustaría tener una guía professional que te ayude con tus aplicaciones para el MBA, considera los servicios MBA essay editing o MBA Application Packages. Ambos incluyen asesoramiento general, revisión de los ensayos, entrenamiento para las entrevistas, y revisión de tu hoja de vida (Curriculum Vitae).

By Esmeralda Cardenal, previously the Associate Director of Admissions at Yale SOM, Director of MBA Admissions at MSU Broad, and consultant at Cardiff Business School in the UK. She is happy to help you showcase your achievements in your MBA application. Want Esmeralda to help you get accepted? Click here to get in touch!

Related Resources:

• Different Dimensions of Diversity, a podcast episode

• ¿Cuál MBA es el Mejor Para Tí?

• 5 Killer GMAT Prep Tips, a free webinar

The post Tu Perfil para el MBA: El Manejo del Idioma appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
What MBA Hiring Managers Look For [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: What MBA Hiring Managers Look For

I’ve interviewed and hired numerous MBA grads in my 20+ year banking and consulting career. The skills and experience required for each role vary, of course – in finance, expertise in specific finance concepts, models and tools might be a prerequisite, while in management consulting, business acumen and strategic thinking skills might be more relevant. But there are also intangible qualities that matter just as much:

1. Passion

Passionate people bring great energy to the workplace and rub off on the people around them. The best employees love their work and do a great job because they care. They are also more likely to come up with new ideas, contribute beyond what is expected, and put in extra hours to get the job done without being asked. And they are more likely to stick around longer.

2. Savvy

It’s not enough to be smart; you also have to be practical and have good instincts to be effective at work. If you come up with a great new idea, you also have to figure out what to do with it. Otherwise, your ‘great idea’ may get shelved indefinitely, not be well received, or worse, get claimed by someone else. When I interview a candidate, I not only want to hear about her accomplishments, but also about how she navigated the work environment and problem-solved to get things done.

3. Maturity

You need to have perspective about your experiences, be thoughtful about your decisions, and know yourself. I worry when a candidate can’t clearly articulate his career decisions, or why he is applying for the position; if he has no idea what he is getting into, he probably won’t last long at the job. If a candidate says, “I can’t think of anything I need to improve in,” would he be receptive to feedback or blame others for problems? On the other hand, a person who is mature enough to learn from his mistakes and understand his own strengths and flaws will continually grow and excel professionally.

4. Teamwork

At work, you have to be able to work with many different people (even if you don’t like them very much). Anyone who complains about prior colleagues or managers is a big red flag for me. You need to be both respectful of others and able to command respect from others, and be personable enough that I and others would gladly spend long days working side by side with you.

I looked for these things when hiring an MBA grad, but I also know from my experience on Wharton’s admissions committee that business schools look for the SAME thing in their applicants. They want students who are passionate about their personal and professional interests, are effective leaders and contributors, who have unique strengths and are constantly learning and growing, and who will work well with their teammates. Whether you are applying to business schools or for a new job, highlighting these qualities to the adcom or hiring manager will make you a stronger applicant.

By Madeleine Wang. In addition to extensive experience in management consulting and investment banking, Madeleine served on Wharton’s admissions committee. Want Madeleine help you get accepted to business school? Click here to get in touch!

Related Resources:

Navigate the MBA Maze, a free guide

What You Need to Know About Finding a Job Post-MBA, a podcast episode

• GMAC Releases Results of Year-End Employer Poll

The post What MBA Hiring Managers Look For appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
Launching Her Application with Forte and Following Her Heart to Chicag [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Launching Her Application with Forte and Following Her Heart to Chicago Booth

This interview is the latest in an Accepted blog series featuring interviews with MBA students, offering readers a behind-the-scenes look at top MBA programs. And now for a chat with Jamie Kwak…

Accepted: We’d like to get to know you! Where are you from? Where and what did you study as an undergrad?

Jamie: Hello everyone! My name is Jamie and I am from the beautiful and warm city of Los Angeles, California. I attended the University of Southern California and majored in accounting.

Accepted: If you could meet any famous person – past or present – who would it be and why?

Jamie: Oprah! I am reading her book “What I Know For Sure” and I am touched by this book. Her words are so inspirational and this book has made me a big fan of hers. Also, she has accomplished so much in her life and is considered one of the most powerful and influential women in the world. I would absolutely love the opportunity to meet her one day.

Accepted: Where are you currently in b-school? What year?

Jamie: I am in my second year at the University of Chicago Booth School of Business (class of 2017). I can’t believe I will be graduating in less than six months!

Accepted: How did you know that Booth was the right “fit” for you?

Jamie: Choosing a business school to attend is a pretty important decision. I made the decision to attend Booth by listening to my heart. There was something about Booth that felt different. Whenever I spoke to members of the Booth community, I felt that they were welcoming me with open arms. They would spend so much time on the phone with me and put me in touch with other Boothies. The connections were so genuine. Like many of my peers, I had created a pros and cons list; I spoke with current students and alums from the different schools. I crumbled the piece of paper with this list and threw it away. I ultimately had to convince my mind that my heart was right. This “pay it forward” culture was just something that meant a lot to me and that is why I decided to trust my heart – my heart chose Booth.

Accepted: You are an alumna of the Forte Foundation’s MBALaunch Program! Can you tell readers a little bit about it?

Jamie: Sure! The MBALaunch program is a curriculum designed for women who are interested in applying to business school. The women at Forte do a fantastic job creating a structured roadmap for you and scheduling modules to help you with every part of the business school application. Also, my favorite part of the program was my “Jam Session Group.” We were assigned a group, which was comprised of 5 MBALaunch participants and 2 additional mentors. Every month, we would meet up for a “Jam Session” and chat about our progress. The two mentors, LeTisha and Genevieve, were 2 Forte members who had recently graduated from an MBA program. They were so crucial in helping us prepare for not just the application, but the MBA program in general. My group members and I formed close friendships and we were each other’s biggest cheerleaders. We would exchange tips and advice over email, and some of us would meet up to study together for the GMAT. When we started writing, we would read each other’s essays and provide feedback. We completed the MBALaunch program back in 2014, and we still keep in touch. As a matter of fact, 3 out of the 5 of us met up at the Forte Conference in June 2016. I am so proud of each and every one of my group members. We are all enrolled in an MBA program (see below).

Roxane Herrera

School: Fuqua School of Business, C/O 2017

Summer Internship: Dimensional Fund Advisors

Hailey Denenberg

School:
Columbia Business School C/O 2017

Summer Internship: Deloitte Consulting

Jackie Laine

School: Kellogg School of Business, C/O 2017

Summer Internship: The Boston Consulting Group

Katie-Coral Sicora

School:
University of Oxford – Said Business School C/O 2018

Degree: Innovative new joint degree program (MSC in Environmental Governance and an MBA); Katie-Coral is also a Pershing Square Scholar which means she not only received a full ride, but is offered many resources during her 2 years at Oxford.

Pretty impressive group, right?

Accepted: How did MBALaunch prepare you for the MBA application process? Would you suggest their program to others?

Jamie: I would highly recommend the Forte MBALaunch to anyone who is interested in applying to an MBA program. Not only does Forte have resources to help you with every part of the application (from the GMAT to the essays), you become part of a network of extremely accomplished women. The resources and the opportunities that become available to you are priceless.

What’s funny is that I attended the Forte Forum in Los Angeles back in 2014 when I was applying to business schools. The first two representatives I met were from Booth. Kylie Wilcer and Kelly Smith were just so nice and helpful in answering all my questions about the school. Fast forward two years, I am an Admissions Fellow at Booth and get to work closely with Kylie and Kelly. They still are as awesome now as they were the first day I met them. The Forte Foundation held this event and facilitated my first introduction to Booth!

Accepted: What has been your greatest challenge since starting at Booth? How have you overcome it?

Jamie: Time management. Most students want to make time and have a healthy balance between family life, social life, and school life. Once you start your MBA program, you need to prioritize and focus on two of these three things at a time. I heard this from so many people and brushed this tip aside. I thought I was already great at time management and I could do everything. I was wrong.

What I had to quickly figure out was how to best manage my energy. Google Calendar has helped me with this. I live and die by my calendar because there are so many things going on every day. Google makes it easy to color code so I have different colors for my different calendars (school/social/family). I look at my calendar at the beginning of every week to see if my colors look well-balanced. If it looks like I am going to have a busy week, I make sure to schedule some time for myself to recharge. Every business school student will have different tricks for time management, but this is what works for me.

Accepted: Lastly, what are your top three GMAT tips for success?

Jamie:

1. Ask for help

I find that many people don’t like to share failures – myself included. What I realized is that many people are probably sharing the same struggles as you or are willing to help. Don’t be afraid to ask for help. Once I told some of my friends that I was struggling with the GMAT, all of them helped me study and provided excellent advice. I also learned that other friends were also struggling and we found time to study together.

2. Study smart

I was focused on getting as many reps in as possible. My friends helped me realize that I needed to drill down and figure out what types of questions I was struggling with. Once I addressed one weak area at a time, I did much better.

3. Don’t give up

I took the GMAT three times. The first time, I didn’t do well. I studied A LOT for the next few months. My second time, my score was 80 points lower than my first attempt. I thought about giving up and not going to business school. That experience in itself was pretty traumatizing and I was drained both mentally and emotionally. High school and college taught me that there is a positive correlation between grades and time spent studying – the GMAT proved that wrong. I took a week off and decided to study again. My third time, I scored well above a 700.

I have friends who took it once and scored extremely well and I wondered why the test was so hard for me. I stopped doubting myself and decided to put my head down and charge forward. One of my favorite quotes is “comparison is the thief of joy.” It rang so true for the GMAT and even now in business school. Try your best and don’t give up!

Thank you Jamie for sharing your story with us – we wish you continued success!

[b]For one-on-one guidance with your b-school application, check out our MBA Application Packages.[/b]

Do you want to be featured in Accepted’s blog? If you want to share your med school journey with the world (or at least with our readers), email us at bloggers@accepted.com.

Related Resources:

The GMAT: Low Scores, Retaking & Strategies for Success

• With the “Chicago Approach,” Who Gets into Booth?

• The MBA Career Search and Life as a Chicago Booth MBA [Episode 158]

The post Launching Her Application with Forte and Following Her Heart to Chicago Booth appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
3 Tips for a Successful MBA Interview [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: 3 Tips for a Successful MBA Interview

“3 Tips for a Successful MBA Interview” is the latest post in our series Navigate the MBA Maze.

Here are three key tips on how to present yourself during those crucial face-to-face minutes.

1. Structure Your Answers. Structure helps your interviewer see where you’re going with your answer and helps you remember where you’re going, too. So when they ask, “Why do you want to attend Harvard/Stanford/Kellogg?” don’t say, “Well, I was born in Florida in 1984, and . . .” Instead, lay out a clear structure: “There are three primary reasons why this school is my top choice: curriculum, culture, and community.” After providing the structure upfront, provide details for each reason you mention. Not every interview answer requires an upfront structure (some are more story-oriented), but use one for those that lend themselves to it. You’ll be glad you did.

2. Project Confidence. Regardless of your general confidence level, do your best to clear your mind of doubt and believe that you deserve an offer. As you prepare for the interview remind yourself of your past achievements in challenging circumstances. And make sure your confidence doesn’t spill over into arrogance (“Well of course you should accept me because…”).

3. Read Your Interviewer. Some are high-energy. Some aren’t. Some like humor. Some don’t. Some are by-the-book. Some won’t ask a single question you’ve practiced for. While you can’t prepare for every single type of interviewer, you can adjust your style a bit to match theirs. Though schools stress that they seek objective opinions from their interviewers, we all know the reality: a large factor in interview performance is likeability, and interviewers like candidates who remind them of themselves. An even simpler strategy is to pay attention to clear cues from your interviewer— if they’re yawning and looking at their watch, you’re probably being too long winded or need to use more compelling examples; if they’re asking probing questions for everything you say, try including more details in your initial answers.

If you are interested in individualized interview coaching or a mock interview, check out Accepted’s MBA interview assistance packages.

Related Resources:

Perfect Answers to MBA Interview Questions, a free guide

Are You Selling Yourself Short? [Modesty & Your MBA Admissions Interview]

Do I Really Need a Mock Admissions Interview?

The post 3 Tips for a Successful MBA Interview appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
Admissions Tip: BE YOURSELF! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Admissions Tip: BE YOURSELF!

One of things admissions committee members tell us again and again is that they wish – really, truly wish – that applicants would not try to write what they imagine the adcom wants to hear, and instead would just be themselves. Admissions committee members time and time again say they wish applicants would answer their questions, if they are asking a specific question, and in all cases reveal what they really want admissions committee readers to know about them.

Be yourself. Be authentic. Stand out. It sounds simple, but when you’re facing a blank screen…well, not so easy, right? It’s not you – a personal statement is a challenging essay to write!

How can you be yourself in your admissions essay? How can you let your authentic voice shine through, so that the person reading your essay feels they’ve met you – and want to get to know you better?

1. Write About the Right Experiences

One tip has to do with what you write about: choose experiences that mean something to you. Don’t try to be someone you aren’t, just because you think it will impress the adcom. Everyone has a unique set of experiences and perspectives – embrace them, and you’ll stand out.

And when you tell your story, also say why it’s significant. What was the impact on others? The “other” can be an individual, a team, a group, an employer, or your company. And why is it important to you and your development? How will it add to the readers’ understanding of you as an individual, a potential member of their community, and a future professional and alum?

2. Be Truthful

Another tip: don’t exaggerate or falsify anything in your profile. That’s automatically not being yourself! And it’s a ticket to the “rejection” pile.

3. Find an Authentic Voice

Don’t change your voice for the sake of the essay. Some people worry about their word choice – they want to use sophisticated vocabulary to dazzle the adcom. Here’s the thing: it’s best to write like a human being. If you don’t know those words and wouldn’t normally use them, skip them. Don’t sound stilted – let your voice through. Along related lines: if you’re not naturally a funny person, it’s probably not the best time to try to crack jokes.

Your unique experiences, perspective, and goals will help you stand out in a crowded field, as long as you convey what is special about you. And then you will be You.

One way to get a sense of how effectively your essay is introducing you is to ask someone else to read it. We’ve read thousands of application essays and successfully coached people like you to success. We have the extensive admissions experience to know which parts of your profile make you stand out – and how you can present yourself so that you seem like a real person. We can give you a professional evaluation of your essay, and specific advice on how to strengthen it before you apply.

Related Resources:

Leadership in Admissions, a free guide

Standing Out in Your Application, a podcast episode

• Podcast Interviews with MBA Adcom Members; Med School Adcom Members; Grad School Adcom Members

Tags: Admissions Consulting, College Admissions, Grad School Admissions, Law School Admissions, MBA Admissions, Medical School Admissions

The post Admissions Tip: BE YOURSELF! appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
8 Tips to Make the Most of Your B-School Visit [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: 8 Tips to Make the Most of Your B-School Visit

School visits are common during this time of year. Many applicants wait until their applications are submitted and, while classes are still in session, travel to their business schools of choice to either score some brownie points towards their application or to be better informed about the school’s offerings and fit.

With so many applicants visiting the school, you want your visit to be a memorable one. Preparation before your trip is key. Here are some tips:

1. Before you visit, try to go through the school’s website and refresh your memory regarding its offerings and unique attributes. Pay particular attention to any news or new initiatives. You want to be well-versed on anything going on, and reflect this in your conversations with students, faculty, and staff during your visit. Don’t limit your search to the program’s website, look for related news articles related as well.

2. Be up-to-date on any news in your industry and in the industry you want to work in after your MBA. Read The Wall Street Journal, Financial Times, and The Economist well before your visit.

3. Take advantage of the information session, have lunch or coffee with the students, attend a class, and take part in the tour. Even if you have visited the school previously, try to take part of everything the school offers to prospective students and meet as many people as you can.

4. Don’t request to talk to an admissions officer unless you have a particular concern you would like to address, one for which a meeting with an adcom would really be necessary. Never ask about the status of your application, or why they haven’t invited you to interview. These types of questions will put the adcom in an uncomfortable position and might affect your chances for admission.

5. Include time in your day to get to see other parts of the university. You never know when resources outside of the school will be relevant to you.

6. If it’s relevant to your situation, check the family-friendly resources the school (and the university) offers.

7. Collect business cards, write down names, and send individual thank-you emails to each and every one of the students, staff, and faculty that you meet during your visit. In your email, include a reference or two about a conversation you had with that person, and reiterate your desire to attend the school.

8. After your visit or during breaks during the day, write down notes about your impressions, things you liked, and things you didn’t like. If there were any particularly memorable statements that you may want to incorporate into an essay, jot them down.

Whether you are visiting after having submitted your application or checking out the school for the first time, it’s important that you plan your visit well. The information gathered will help you in your essays, in your interview, and ultimately in your decision to attend (or not) this school.

By Esmeralda Cardenal, previously the Associate Director of Admissions at Yale SOM, Director of MBA Admissions at MSU Broad, and consultant at Cardiff Business School in the UK. She is happy to help you showcase your achievements in your MBA application. Want Esmeralda to help you get accepted? Click here to get in touch!

Related Resources:

Best MBA Programs, a guide to selecting the right one

MBA Applicants, Start Your Engines

3 Ways to Determine Which B-Schools are a Good Fit for You

The post 8 Tips to Make the Most of Your B-School Visit appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
GMAT Club Bot
8 Tips to Make the Most of Your B-School Visit [#permalink]
   1  ...  53   54   55   56   57  ...  123