Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:09 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Financing Your INSEAD MBA [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Financing Your INSEAD MBA

I was lucky enough to get accepted to study at INSEAD 10 years ago. But before the great news I had spent at least 18 months preparing: from doing the GMAT, writing essays, deciding which school to go to, and determining how to finance this unique and life changing experience. I probably spent the least amount of time on the financing point, but in the end it was the most important.

Here are a few recommendations to keep in mind when financing your MBA:

The first recommendation is that whatever you expect to spend on your MBA, you are going to spend at least 30% more on your living expenses, and other expenses that come up. Of course, I wanted to make the most of the experience, and every MBA program, including INSEAD’s, has more activities than anyone can imagine going to. And it’s very tough to say “no” to them due to lack of savings. So tip 1: save at least an extra $5,000 for “travel expenses” per year.

The second recommendation is to evaluate the financial difference between a 1 year and 2 year MBA program. It is not only the opportunity cost of not working and making money, but the 2 year MBA is normally 50%-100% more expensive due to cost of living and 2 years of tuition. Choosing a 1 year MBA like INSEAD was not a conscious decision on my part but I’m glad I decided on it in the end. There is a trend around the world for more 1 year MBAs because of this reason.

The third and most important recommendation is to look for other sources of funding aside from a loan – a few options include:

1.  Scholarships (there are a lot more per country than you may think. In Spain, there are at least 8 organizations that give scholarships)

2.  Ask family and friends for donations or savings

3.  Crowdsource your MBA experience

4.  Get a side job for extra money

I started with the 4th option and managed to save a worthwhile extra amount for INSEAD. Three months before starting the program, I got lucky and got an amazing scholarship from Fundacion Rafael del Pino in Spain for my studies.

Finally, I encourage you to look at what others are doing around you, search on blogs and forums, be creative, and most importantly: if you are set on doing an MBA, with a little bit of discipline and structure, you can save for the future.

Ricardo is Prodigy Finance’s Head of Business Development. He got his MBA from INSEAD in 2006. After his MBA, he worked in management consulting for 8 years before shifting his focus to consult for startup companies in the Fintech space. He joined the Prodigy Finance team in 2014.

Related Resources:

• MBA Admissions A-Z: 26 Terrific Tips [Free Guide]

• INSEAD Essay 3: Writing About Cultural Diversity

• The Money will Sort Itself Out: IV with a Future INSEAD Student

Tags: Financial Aid, INSEAD, MBA Admissions

The post Financing Your INSEAD MBA appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
Seats Running Out For Our Wharton Webinar… [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Seats Running Out For Our Wharton Webinar…
If you are applying to Wharton – then you’ll want to tune in on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 for our Get Accepted To Wharton webinar.

Access winning tips that put you ahead of your competition including the 4 key strategies you need to get accepted and advice for your team-based discussion!

Don’t get left behind – reserve your spot for Get Accepted to Wharton now!

Tags: MBA Admissions, webinar, Wharton

The post Seats Running Out For Our Wharton Webinar… appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
Global Opportunities: The “Wharton Difference” And Fit With The Progra [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Global Opportunities: The “Wharton Difference” And Fit With The Program

Today, everyone working anywhere can directly or indirectly identify a global dimension to their work.

My previous posts on defining your fit with Wharton addressed three of the four components of “The Wharton Difference” (Largest Global Network, Culture of Engagement, and Innovative Leadership Learning).  Here I’ll look at the fourth, final component: Global Opportunities.

BUT… you might think, all top MBA programs have a global dimension; why is it part of The Wharton Difference?

The answer lies in how those specific opportunities align with the other three components by emphasizing connection, growth through experience, sharing/collaboration, and exploration.  This is evident in the following phrases:

• The Global Opportunities prepare you for “an interconnected world.”

• You will “immerse yourself” in local cultures and business approaches.

• You will “extend” your experience to your classmates as part of a “global community.”

The bolded words above reveal the adcom’s distinct lens on the global dimension:  its global resources start with you connecting with other people and groups to understand and eventually impact global business holistically.

BUT… What if your goals don’t include global enterprise?  Perhaps you plan to launch an IT initiative in a region of the U.S. where coal mining is dying.  Perhaps you plan to develop strategy for domestic healthcare provider chains.  In the first case, other countries, e.g. Poland, face the same challenge; perhaps there’s a prospective global collaboration on the horizon!  In the second case, perhaps learning from countries with different healthcare systems would give you fresh ideas to adapt.

Today, everyone working anywhere can directly or indirectly identify a global dimension to their work.  If it’s not immediately obvious, think further, and you will surely discern how it’s so in your own situation.

To demonstrate fit with Wharton, portray the “Global Opportunities” component in your application:

•  Familiarize yourself with both the academic opportunities (majors, Global Modular Courses, Global Immersion Program, and Global Consulting Practicum, and exchange programs) and the extracurricular opportunities (conferences, International Volunteer Program, and Global Career Treks), decide which ones best meet your needs, and discuss how and why in your essay and interview.

•  In your essay and interview, as appropriate, include anecdotes and examples about global experiences and the human, cultural, and values-oriented factors beyond the hard facts and numbers (you can include non-business experiences if relevant, even interactions with colleagues from other countries/cultures if you don’t have firsthand international experience).

•  In your resume and application form, mention activities with a global or international element.

By Cindy Tokumitsu, author and co-author of numerous ebooks, articles, and special reports, including Why MBA and Best MBA Programs: A Guide to Selecting the Right One. Cindy has advised hundreds of successful applicants in her fifteen years with Accepted.com.

Related Resources:

• Understanding The Wharton Difference

• Wharton 2016 MBA Essay Tips & Deadlines

• Interested In Impact: A Talk With Wharton Student Jenna Gebel

Tags: MBA Admissions, The Wharton Difference, Wharton

The post Global Opportunities: The “Wharton Difference” And Fit With The Program appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

Own Kudos [?]: 844 [1]
Send PM
An Interview With Our Own: Michelle Stockman [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: An Interview With Our Own: Michelle Stockman

Curious about the life and times of our spectacular admissions consultants? Please enjoy our newest blog series in which we interview the fabulous people who make up the Accepted.com staff. Next up is…Michelle Stockman.

Accepted: Can you tell us a little about yourself? Where and what did you study as an undergrad? Do you hold any graduate degrees? What’s your favorite non-school/non-work book?

Michelle: I studied at Brigham Young University for my undergrad and majored in history. A few years later, I earned a Masters in Science in Journalism from the Columbia Journalism School in New York City.

As a history nut, I love reading non-fiction. My favorite recent read is Empire of the Summer Moon – a fascinating, poignant look at the rise and fall of the Comanches, the most powerful Native American tribe in the United States. It illuminates a violent chapter in American history that featured new military technology as the Comanche rose to prominence largely through their prowess as fierce warriors.

Accepted: What was your journey like – from NY, all the way out west, and then back to NY? Was NYC your final destination? Where do you currently reside?

Michelle: My connection to the American West dates back to my childhood. My father is from Salt Lake City, and we would drive cross-country from New York to Utah every other summer to visit my grandmother. Nestled amongst the Rocky Mountains during college, I had the opportunity to quench both my intellectual curiosity and thirst for outdoor adventure. Ultimately, my penchant for storytelling drew me back east, at first to New York City. Eight million people – so many stories to capture. As a video journalist, I covered everything from rooftop bee keepers to the attempted Times Square bombing. I went on to work for a French media company – Agence France Presse – where I covered events at the White House and met nearly all the candidates on the 2012 Presidential campaign trail. Next I moved to Islamabad, Pakistan where I linked up with CNN for occasional presenting work and also returned to admissions consulting. Just a month ago, I relocated to Berlin where I will be living for the foreseeable future.

Accepted: Can you map your path towards becoming an admissions consultant for Accepted?

Michelle: When I first moved to New York, I got a job coordinating interviews and reading applications at the Columbia Business School Admissions Office. I gained an insider view of the admissions process, and decided to combine my experience with the writing and editing skills I honed in journalism school by joining Accepted.com in 2007.

Accepted: What’s your favorite thing about consulting?

Michelle: Of course, I love the “I got in!” emails from my clients. But there’s so much ground work that we’ve laid together before that moment. I love when clients start to “get” the process. They realize that my coaching is improving their message. Then they catch on themselves, and surprise me, within a matter of weeks, how much more concise their writing and interviewing skills have become.

Accepted: How do you think your journalism skills contribute to your work as a consultant?

Michelle: Messenger + Target Audience + Content = Persuasion.

That’s the formula I learned as a journalist.

If my applicants tell the truth, then they are a trusted messenger. But will the admissions committee listen if that truth doesn’t resonate? If it’s just a bunch of boasts and industry jargon? I know how to choose and tell stories that signal leadership and transformation. I also have an inside understanding of my applicants’ target audience: the admissions committee.

Finally, journalists always have limited space to tell their stories – one of the toughest hurdles to overcome when putting together an MBA application. I can edit like a champ!

Accepted: What sorts of applicants do you mostly work with?

Michelle: I generally work with MBA and graduate school applicants.

Accepted: What are your top 3 admissions tips?

Michelle:

1. This process is as much relationship driven, as it is about having a cogent message. Dig into your network and try to create connections to your school of choice.

2. Make your essays about personal relationships that illustrate a theme.

3. Start early. The best applications are built on a strong foundation of deep thought.

Learn more about Michelle and how she can help you get accepted!

Related Resources:

• Get Your Game On: Prepping for Your Grad School Application [Free Guide]

• MBA Admissions Consulting and Editing Services

• Graduate School Admissions Consulting and Editing Services

Tags: Accepted Admissions Consultant Interview, Grad School Admissions, MBA Admissions

The post An Interview With Our Own: Michelle Stockman appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

Send PM
Wharton: “Putting Knowledge Into Action” [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Wharton: “Putting Knowledge Into Action”

Episode 4 in our Big Brand Theory Series for MBA applicants: Wharton’s motto.

Does the oldest business school actually have a brand?  Does the oldest business school actually need a brand? Ironically, Wharton is a more powerful global brand than the elite Ivy League university of which it resides.  In fact, many people don’t know that the University of Pennsylvania is a highly regarded Ivy League institution. Outside the United States the University of Pennsylvania, Wharton’s “parent” university is often confused with Penn State University, the “parent” university to the Smeal College of Business, to the humorous consternation of both schools.

As I searched through Wharton’s collateral, it was difficult to zero in on its point of view. However, its tagline, putting knowledge into action, was easy to find. But I ask, is Wharton’s tagline synonymous with its brand?  I will go out on a limb here and say, “no.” Wharton is its own brand.  Wharton is Wharton. But the admissions officers and their marketing colleagues are giving you a hint through this tag line that they are seeking students who can “put knowledge into action”.

How does one “put knowledge into action”?  Well, I would venture to say that you would put knowledge into action the same way Columbia students “bridge theory with practice” and how Michigan Ross students put “thought into action.”  These taglines sound extremely similar, but they do get to the crux of the type of student these schools seek.

Wharton seeks a student who can take the information that he or she gathers from school, the workplace, the community, and the world, process the information and then act on the ideas and concepts acquired.   As an applicant you need to demonstrate that you not only know the information, but that you have implemented the concepts that you’ve learned. For more information on how to do explain this process in an essay, read my blog post “Show me, Don’t Tell Me.”  While I wrote the blog for PhD students, the “theory” applies to MBA candidates as well.

In the application, the main essay looks toward the future, so you can’t demonstrate that you have the trait to turn your knowledge into action in the main essay. You can only explain that you can act on your knowledge in the work experience, extracurricular activities and community service section in the application.  You can also establish that you offer this trait on your resume and in optional essay 1.

I’ll focus on optional essay 1 for the purpose of this blog. I suggest exhibit how and where you learned about something and then acted upon it in optional essay 1.  Did you read about a theory in a book and then test it out in the real world?  Did you hear a political pundit on the news describe something and gather your friends in a grass roots effort to implement or refute the pundit’s opinion?  A great example comes from a environmentally astute MBA.  He believed that if areas of the world that don’t have access to potable water were given access to potable water that it would lessen the political unrest in these countries where access to water is a big issue.  He researched his theory through expert white papers and journal articles. He tested his theory by creating a process to make polluted water potable and distributed his patented invention to several regions that suffered from political unrest.  He put his theory into action, and had results that proved his theory worked in over half of the regions where he distributed this process.  He is now working with a manufacturer and an NGO to gain more distribution throughout the world.

While your example doesn’t need to have the kind of impact that changes the world, it does need to describe in detail, what you did to make a difference.  Did your Relay for Life impact the latest therapies for cancer?  Did your understanding of the book Trading Systems that Work lead you to pursue a finance degree?  Did your Improvisational class at school help you become a skilled public speaker?  Did you learn something from a colleague at work or at school that enabled you to arrive at a better answer.

Their tagline is put to the test during their Team Based Discussions.  If you are invited to participate, you are given a mini-case, asked to present a solution and then work for 35 minutes with a team of potential future classmates to come up with the best or optimal solution.  The evaluators will observe how you synthesize the information around the table and use it to come up with a viable action Wharton can use in the future.

So while Wharton’s brand stands alone, its tagline is instrumental to the success of your application.  For more information about successful strategies on your Wharton application, register for Accepted’s Get Accepted to Wharton Seminar and contact our consultants for assistance with your application.

By Natalie Grinblatt Epstein, an accomplished Accepted.com consultant/editor (since 2008) and entrepreneur. Natalie is a former MBA Admissions Dean and Director at Ross, Johnson, and Carey.

Related Resources:

• Wharton 2016 MBA Essay Tips & Deadlines

The Wharton Difference

• Wharton B-School Zone Page

Tags: B-School Big Brand Theory Series, MBA Admissions, Wharton

The post Wharton: “Putting Knowledge Into Action” appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

Send PM
Future Whartonites…Tune On Wednesday! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Future Whartonites…Tune On Wednesday!
Attention Wharton Applicants: The webinar you’ve all been waiting for, Get Accepted to Wharton, will take place this Wednesday, August 19th!

Reserve your spot now and tune in on Wednesday to hear important Wharton application tips that could transform your Wharton dream into reality!

The post Future Whartonites…Tune On Wednesday! appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

Send PM
Future Whartonites…Tune In On Wednesday! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Future Whartonites…Tune In On Wednesday!
Attention Wharton Applicants: The webinar you’ve all been waiting for, Get Accepted to Wharton, will take place this Wednesday, August 19th!

Reserve your spot now and tune in on Wednesday to hear important Wharton application tips that could transform your Wharton dream into reality!

The post Future Whartonites…Tune In On Wednesday! appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

Send PM
Stanford Applicants: September 22 Will Be Here Before You Know It! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Stanford Applicants: September 22 Will Be Here Before You Know It!

On your mark…get set…go! That Stanford GSB Round 1 finish line is in sight, and yours for the conquering…if you play your cards right!

The following resources will sharpen your competitive edge, making you a prime candidate for Stanford’s class of 2018:

1.  Get Accepted to Stanford GSB What are the Stanford GSB adcom readers looking for when reviewing applications? View this webinar to learn the four key principles that will boost your GSB candidacy and get you accepted. **Updated for 2015-2016 applicants!

2.  Stanford GSB 2016 MBA Essay Tips & Deadlines Here you’ll find detailed advice on writing each of Stanford’s application essays.

3.  Intellectual Vitality, Demonstrated Leadership Potential, and Personal Qualities And Contributions are the three qualifications Stanford seeks in its applicants. Read these articles for advice on how to make sure you demonstrate them all.

4.  Entrepreneurship at Stanford GSB: Carlypso Drives Down the Startup Street Enjoy this interview with Nick Hinrichsen and Chris Colemen, Stanford GSB alums and founders of the startup Carlypso, which Tech Crunch calls a “brilliant concept.”

5.  Do Stanford GSB Grads REALLY “Change Lives. Change Organizations. Change the World”? – Are YOU ready to change organizations and change the world? Do you have what it takes to live up to Stanford’s motto? Read this blog posts for details.

Want more? With one of our MBA Application Packages, you’ll work one-on-one with an experienced consultant who will guide you through each and every element of your Stanford application.

Tags: MBA Admissions, Stanford GSB

The post Stanford Applicants: September 22 Will Be Here Before You Know It! appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

Send PM
Columbia MBA Class of ’17: More Women, Internationals, U.S. Minorities [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Columbia MBA Class of ’17: More Women, Internationals, U.S. Minorities
Columbia Business School posted its incoming MBA class profile .  Here’s the scoop:

What does the data show? Pretty much steady state with marked improvements in class diversity. And there’s both good news and bad from an applicant perspective.

The most noteworthy change is a 12.5% increase in the female make-up of the class — no pun intended — and a 9% increase in minorities of U.S. origin. The percentage of internationals went down insignificantly, but I expect that small decline will reverse itself in this upcoming application cycle since Columbia now has a no-cosigner loan program fully operational for international MBA students.

The 1-point dip in CBS’ average GMAT score is also not significant, especially given the lower acceptance rate and higher yield that Columbia enjoyed last year. It is a little surprising because of the GMAT score arms race that seems to have gripped much of CBS’s competition. (Chicago, Kellogg, and Wharton have all reported increased average GMAT scores for their incoming classes.)

Apparently in this past year CBS chose to focus more on diversity and less on the GMAT. I expect that CBS will want to report an increase in its GMAT average in the upcoming class.  And with it’s 715 score, it still remains one of a handful of schools with an average GMAT equal or greater than a lofty 715.

By Linda Abraham, president and founder of Accepted.com and co-author of the new, definitive book on MBA admissions, MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools.

Related Resources:

Tags: Columbia Business School, MBA Admissions

The post Columbia MBA Class of ’17: More Women, Internationals, U.S. Minorities appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

Send PM
Columbia MBA Class Of ’17: More Women, Internationals, U.S. Minorities [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Columbia MBA Class Of ’17: More Women, Internationals, U.S. Minorities
Columbia Business School posted its incoming MBA class profile. Here’s the scoop:

What does the data show? Pretty much steady state with marked improvements in class diversity. And there’s both good news and bad from an applicant perspective.

The most noteworthy change is a 12.5% increase in the female make-up of the class — no pun intended — and a 9% increase in minorities of U.S. origin. The percentage of internationals went down insignificantly, but I expect that small decline will reverse itself in this upcoming application cycle since Columbia now has a no-cosigner loan program fully operational for international MBA students.

The 1-point dip in CBS’ average GMAT score is also not significant, especially given the lower acceptance rate and higher yield that Columbia enjoyed last year. It is a little surprising because of the GMAT score arms race that seems to have gripped much of CBS’s competition. (Chicago, Kellogg, and Wharton have all reported increased average GMAT scores for their incoming classes.)

Apparently in this past year CBS chose to focus more on diversity and less on the GMAT. I expect that CBS will want to report an increase in its GMAT average in the upcoming class. And with it’s 715 score, it still remains one of a handful of schools with an average GMAT equal or greater than a lofty 715.

By Linda Abraham, president and founder of Accepted.com and co-author of the new, definitive book on MBA admissions, MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools.

Related Resources:

Tags: Columbia Business School, MBA Admissions

The post Columbia MBA Class Of ’17: More Women, Internationals, U.S. Minorities appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

Send PM
Why Applicants Should Consider A School’s Soft Skills Training [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Why Applicants Should Consider A School’s Soft Skills Training

“Is success part of your DNA?”

You need a lot more than an advanced degree to climb the old career ladder. Corporate recruiters are looking for newly minted MBAs to show leadership potential, ability to work in diverse teams, and communication skills. These tools in the MBA toolbox fall under the umbrella of soft skills and were not actively taught by most business schools until relatively recently.

Why? To please employers, of course. Eighty-nine percent of recruiters in the just-released GMAC 2015 Corporate Recruiters Survey Report said that communications skills are a “critical factor” when selecting whom to interview, second only to “Proven ability to perform” and ahead of “Strong technical and/or quantitative skills.”  “Strong writing skills” are fifth with 56% of recruiters saying they are a critical factor.

That’s why applicants are also becoming more interested in what’s on the soft skills menu at their dream schools.

“As we recognize that content, such as marketing and strategy, has become increasingly accessible, applicants are discussing what kinds of skills they will pick up at school,” says Dan LeClair, executive vice president and chief operating officer of the accrediting organization, Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB).

Many applicants will tell you they are looking for a program in which they can “grow,” which is code for becoming a better leader. While they are not choosing schools based solely on their trust exercises, obstacle courses, or group therapy sessions, they are looking for something in addition to being able to read financial statements.

For example, when applying to business schools, James Rapuzzi says he was less impressed with rankings and core curriculum than the leadership training schools provided.

“I was more focused on finding out, ‘What are you going to teach me that I don’t already know?” he says. “And who will I be surrounded by and what can I learn from my classmates?’”

In fact, Rapuzzi, who graduated from the Notre Dame University Mendoza College of Business’ full-time MBA program in May 2015, says his greatest lessons came from group projects and communication coursework that had him giving speeches and writing in a professional manner. He recently moved to New York City, where he’ll be working at an investment bank in its financial sponsors group, and he credits his communication and networking training for helping him get interviews and later a full-time job offer.

“Recruiters are vetting you throughout the job search,” adds Rapuzzi. “They are looking at you and asking, ‘Are you the type I can put in front of a client? Is success part of your DNA?’”

Octavia Costea, who graduated from Babson College’s F.W. Olin School of Business in May 2015, shares a similar story. She sought programs that would help her with strategy, analytics, and entrepreneurial endeavors, she writes in an e-mail. She too picked up soft skills nonetheless and adds she found herself taking advantage of resources that weren’t required but helped her develop as a manager.

When Costea was facing challenges with her cohort, she turned to the school’s sessions on improving communication. “I tend to be direct, lay the problem on the table, talk it out and move on,” adds Costea. “However, non-confrontational people don’t respond well to that approach. The speech center helped me understand that.”

For some schools, soft skills are old hat. Stanford Graduate School of Business has been offering its most popular elective, “Interpersonal Dynamics,” which was long ago nicknamed “Touchy Feely,” for more than 40 years. Columbia Business School has the Program on Social Intelligence, which includes a roster of courses designed to hone leadership skills. Other schools have begun offering retreats, lessons in meditation, and workshops with improvisational actors. The list goes on.

Swimming through the information available on all these programs can be overwhelming for applicants. LeClair suggests applicants search for transformative experiences by asking business schools about opportunities for hands-on learning, personal coaching, and examples of how they demonstrate to potential employers the so-called softer achievements of their graduates.

Today, soft skills are at the “heart of the value proposition of an MBA education,” says LeClair.

“The world is changing,” he adds. “Our success will depend less on what we know than our ability to frame and reframe problems, communicate, and think creatively.”

Related Resources:

• MBA Project Search: Matchmaking for MBAs and Businesses

• The Hottest Skills that will Land You the Hottest Jobs

• Have an Open Mind, Learn Skills, Build Relationships: Darden MBA Interview

Tags: Job Search, MBA Admissions

The post Why Applicants Should Consider A School’s Soft Skills Training appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

Send PM
The Truth About Student Loans [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: The Truth About Student Loans

How much do you really know about student loans?

We all love True or False questions! You have a 50/50 chance at getting the question correct, don’t you?  But what if someone could help you improve your chances beyond the flip of a coin?  What if we could remove 50% of your doubt on questions around an important topic like “Student Loans”?

Join us on a little journey as we debunk myths and answer questions that many MBA students encounter as they look to fund their programs. Let’s do it!

[b]1. True or False: I can get a loan for tuition AND living expenses.

[/b]

TRUE. You can borrow funds for tuition, fees and living expenses up to the school approved Cost of Attendance budget. Be sure to check with the school for any budget appeals as all loans in the US must be certified and approved by the school.

[b]2. True or False: I need to show assets to secure a loan.

[/b]

FALSE. Many lenders will offer loans to students with a co-signer or with the school as the guarantor. Some newer and innovative peer-to-peer lenders will assess students on their future potential and not require any collateral or co-signors.

[b]3. True or False: Interest rate is the only thing that I should look for in a loan offer.

[/b]

FALSE. While interest rate is a very important component of the loan offer that will determine your monthly payments, students must consider all fees and interest accruals when comparing offers. Most lenders will be required to share the APR (annual percentage rate), which will provide the effect of all costs of financing.

[b]4. True or False: I must notify my school that I am taking a loan.

[/b]

TRUE.  In the US, students must complete a Financial Aid form with their school, confirming any loans or financial aid that they will be using to fulfill their program budget.

[b]5. True or False: I can get all of the money upfront.

[/b]

FALSE.  All US schools require that the loan proceeds are disbursed according to the school schedule and will often split the funds evenly over the program terms. Please contact the school’s financial aid office for any special arrangements.

[b]6. True or False: The length of the loan’s term and the loan’s total interest cost have an inverse relationship.

[/b]

TRUE. While a loan with a longer term (i.e. 20 years vs. 10 years) will provide the borrower with more flexibility and lower monthly payments, the total interest cost over the life of the loan will be significantly greater than a shorter loan term. Make sure to consider the best option for your budget.

[b]7. True or False: I can use a Letter of Confirmation from the lender for my VISA application.

[/b]

TRUE. Once you have completed your loan application and received an approved offer, lenders can provide you with the Letter of Confirmation that can be used for your I-20 form and VISA application.

[b]8. True or False: I need to repay my loans immediately.

[/b]

FALSE. Most lenders will not require repayment during school and many will offer a grace period of 6 to 9 months following graduation. Be sure to read the details of the loan offer regarding early repayment and any associated fees.

[b]9. True or False: I don’t have to pay back my loan.

[/b]

FALSE.  While there are a few special loan forgiveness programs available, loans must be repaid in the provided term of 10 to 20 years depending on the offer. If the borrower encounters problems making their monthly repayments, many lenders will offer forbearance arrangements for financial hardship, health issues or extraordinary circumstances.

[b]10. True or False: US loans must be repaid in USD.

[/b]

TRUE. Loans offered in the US must be repaid in USD, so make sure to think about how you will repay your loans if you return to your home country outside of the US. Many lenders offer a variety of repayment methods to make it as easy as possible, but currency fluctuations will be the responsibility of the borrower.

So, how did you score?

Your education is too important for a guessing game, so make sure you get the facts as you are preparing for your MBA. To learn more about how you can fund your program, sign up to join the Accepted Webinar “How to Fund Your MBA Abroad” on November 4th, 2015 at 1PM EST.

Joel Frisch is Prodigy Finance‘s Director of Business Development in the US. Prior to Prodigy, he has spent his career in financial services and employee management solutions.  Joel is a lifelong teacher with a goal of spreading financial literacy.

Related Resources:

• 3 Long Term Tips For Financing Your MBA Abroad

• Making International Student Loans a Prime Investment

Financing Your INSEAD MBA

Tags: Financial Aid, MBA Admissions

The post The Truth About Student Loans appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

Send PM
2015 Poets & Quants Best U.S. MBA Programs [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: 2015 Poets & Quants Best U.S. MBA Programs
The much anticipated Poets & Quants rankings is out! Let’s see how P&Q rates the top schools:

• Harvard’s on top. As usual. Here’s the P&Q position on this: “No rival beats Harvard in the formidable resources it brings to the game: more superstar professors than any other school, the diversity of its course offerings, the stellar quality of its students, the size and scope of its campus, and the career achievements of its alumni spread all over the world.”

• The M7 all take up the first 7 slots of the rankings.

Duke Fuqua slipped out of the top 10 to 11th place this year.

• Yale SOM make it to the top 10 for its first time ever (10th place) in P&Q rankings history.

Note: Ranks for both The Financial Times and The Economist surveys are U.S. only, not the overall global ranks

(This chart can be viewed in its original here.)

Poets & Quants ranks the top U.S. MBA programs by combining the five most influential rankings and weighing them based on the “soundness of their methodologies.”  U.S. News is given the most weight at 35%, followed by Forbes (at 25%), Financial Times and Businessweek both at 15%, and The Economist at 10%.

Related Resources:

Rankings: Why Should I Care? [short video]

• 2015 Bloomberg Business MBA Rankings

• B-School Zones for Top MBA Programs

Tags: Chicago Booth, Columbia Business School, Cornell Johnson, Dartmouth Tuck, Duke Fuqua, Emory Goizueta, Harvard Business School, MBA Admissions, Michigan Ross, MIT Sloan, Northwestern Kellogg, NYU Stern, Rankings, Stanford GSB, UC Berkeley Haas, UCLA Anderson, UNC Kenan Flagler, UT McCombs, UVA Darden, Wharton, Yale SOM

The post 2015 Poets & Quants Best U.S. MBA Programs appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.
Send PM
Picking a Career, Interviewing Right, and More Job Talk [Episode 131] [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Picking a Career, Interviewing Right, and More Job Talk [Episode 131]

So, what do you want to be when you grow up? And if you do know what your dream job is, how will you land it?

We could think of no better person to join us for a talk about careers than Karin Ash, formerly director of the Career Management Center at Cornell’s Johnson School, career coach at Cornell’s College of Engineering, and Director of Cornell Career Services.

Listen in on our talk and leave a comment in the shownotes to add your voice to the conversation.

Born to Work in Career Services and Admissions (1:42)

Karin is one of the few and the lucky. She’s had a career direction nearly since the cradle.

The Two Most Common Reasons for Leaving a First Job (4:57)

Watching students agonize over job offers during grad school and then switching jobs soon after, led Karin to conduct a study of reasons for leaving a first job. The winners? Moving to live near (or away from!) family and the job prospects of a significant other.

Finding Meaning on the Treadmill (7:47)

Racing from a top kindergarten to a top elementary school, high school, college, grad school… and finally a top job can leave little time for reflection. Free time is hard to come by, but if you want it, you can create it. If you don’t know what to do first, start reading! The right books can help you self reflect, figure out what you enjoy, and find direction. Often students who figure out what they want, actually do end up with a job they enjoy. Karin recommends a couple of books and we’ve linked to them below.

If you have a book or resource that really helped you discover your career path, please share in a comment.

When What You Love Doesn’t Pay (14:06)

What happens if you are lucky enough to discover your passion, but unlucky enough that your passion doesn’t pay the bills? Take a job that takes you as close to your passion as possible, advises Karin. It’s a big world out there and if you do your homework and have enough enthusiasm you can make doors open. Be creative.

The Challenges Faced by the Career Services Office at Different Types of Programs (17:27)

Undergrads: Many are being supported by parents and simply don’t feel the push to sweat over finding a job. The challenge is getting them to explore

MBAs: Only 3 weeks after they arrive, MBAs are interviewing for the internships that are so key to what they might end up doing after b-school. The challenge is getting them ready — fast.

Engineers:  These folks are brilliant, but they don’t believe it. The challenge is building confidence and teaching them the importance of networking (especially for international students).

Employability in MBA Admissions (20:50)

Adcoms – and employers – know what your business school courses consist of and what skills you’ll learn. What they are on the lookout for when accepting and hiring are the qualities that make successful leaders. Think confidence, good communication skills, the ability to influence and persuade, and a track record of exceptional leadership.  

Business School and Career Change (25:30)

It’s not only the classic “career changers” who leave b-school with a new direction. Be warned: your classes and professors can have a very strong influence on the direction your career takes. Exposure to different fields has caused many a traditional student to veer away from their well-planned path. Keep an open mind, take (or create!) opportunities to learn things you are passionate about.

Advice for Strat Consulting Hopefuls  (28:21)

Consulting firms don’t really care what your undergrad major was or what you did before grad school. They are seeking candidates with top scores, sharp skills, and excellent communication skills. Acing that case interview is vital. There is also a little bit of bias towards athletes, and other candidates who have proven that they have drive.

Resume Tips (32:16)

Keep your resume simple and straightforward. Have the resume focused on supporting your goal. Use action words so that you don’t use extra verbiage (organized, managed, analyzed…). Include extracurricular achievements and leadership roles only if they were very important to you! Keep it to one page: don’t list references, every single honor you’ve had in your life, or less than relevant information.

Cover Letter Tips (34:29)

The excruciating task of cover letter writing becomes must easier when you are passionate about the job you are applying for. Simply introduce yourself and explain why you’ve sent in your resume. Detail what job you are applying for and what makes you the right person for the job. If you can include the name of someone you spoke to at the company, its great to show that you’ve done your research and really want the job and the employer.

Job Interview Prep (36:15)

Practice, practice, practice! Find out exactly what the company you are applying to is looking for and highlight everything in your background that relates to it.  To sound poised and articulate, you need to practice.

Case Interview Prep (37:51)

If you have a case interview coming up, it is important to read (and understand) sample interviews. As always, there is nothing like practice. If you can, get a consultant to spend half a day giving you a practice case.

Why Karin Does What She Does and Loves What She Does (38:39)

The excitement of helping young people figure out what they want to do with their lives –and get there- has kept Karin going for 30+ years.

Books Karin Ash Recommends:

• Discovering Your Career in Business  by Timothy Butler

• What Color Is Your Parachute? 2016: A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career-Changers by Richard Nelson Bolles

Related Links:

• View Karin’s biohttps://www.accepted.com/aboutus/karinash• Have Karin contact you• MBA Admissions Advice for Career Changers

Related shows:

• Case Interview Secrets and More with Victor Cheng• An HBS Entrepreneur Promoting Career Flexibilityhttps://blog.accepted.com/2015/02/25/hbs-entrepreneur-promoting-career-flexibility/• Goal Setting, Job Searching, and Sweet Careershttps://blog.accepted.com/2014/05/08/goal-setting-job-searching-and-sweet-careers/• Career Direction: It’s Ok to Love Your Job!

Subscribe:

Tags: Admissions Straight Talk, career changers, Grad School Admissions, Job Search, Management Consulting, MBA Admissions, podcast, resume

The post Picking a Career, Interviewing Right, and More Job Talk [Episode 131] appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.
Send PM
Top MBA Programs that Defer [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Top MBA Programs that Defer

Off to join the military? Don’t worry, your MBA spot is safe!

Most U.S. MBA programs will allow students to defer acceptance (push off starting the program for a year) for U.S. military deployment, illness, or illness of a loved one for whom the candidate is the sole or a major caregiver (you will need proof of the above).

Check with the individual programs, but here are a few specifics:

• Stanford GSB admits students directly from college, but suggests a 1-3 year deferral to gain experience.

• Harvard Business School has a similar policy, but applicants must be admitted through 2+2 program.

• MIT Sloan offers an automatic readmit to candidates they admitted in the prior year, but who could not attend. It’s basically the same as a deferral except the candidate must complete the application again.

Top 20 MBA programs rarely offer deferrals for financial or work related reasons (other than military and the exceptions I stated above). However, it never hurts to ask.

A Cautionary Tale

When I was the Director of Admissions and Financial Aid at Cornell Johnson (many years ago), I had a Cornell candidate who applied three years in a row due to work-related reasons (his consulting firm just kept giving him projects he didn’t want to turn down).

The first year he sent me a note about the new project and explained how much stronger a candidate he would be if I deferred his admission. I asked him to reapply because we did not defer for work-related reasons (except military deployment). He reapplied, and the second year I admitted him again, but he never sent me a note indicating that he would not be attending the program. He just didn’t show on the first day of class and assumed that was okay. It wasn’t.

He had the nerve to reapply the third year, and I did not admit him despite the strength of his application. His lack of communication when he wanted to defer a second time took a spot away from another candidate. That kind of hubris did not belong at Cornell (and I didn’t mind telling him my reasons when he called to find out why I denied his application…he was stunned).

What Should You Do If You Want to Defer?

• If you haven’t yet been accepted: If you have not yet heard a decision from the school, you should withdraw your application from further review. Explain why you are withdrawing your application, indicate that you will be reapplying next year and that you plan to attend the school if admitted (if true).

• If you’ve already been accepted: If you’ve already been admitted, request the deferral. The worst case scenario is that the school will tell you that they don’t grant deferrals.

By Natalie Grinblatt Epstein, an accomplished Accepted.com consultant/editor (since 2008) and entrepreneur. Natalie is a former MBA Admissions Dean and Director at Ross, Johnson, and Carey.MBA Decisions: What Next?

• When to Give Up Your Acceptance in Hopes for “Greener” Pastures

Admissions Straight Talk Podcast for MBA Applicants

Tags: MBA Admissions

The post Top MBA Programs that Defer appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.
Send PM
Free Editing Hacks to Transform Your MBA Essay [& Get You Accepted!] [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Free Editing Hacks to Transform Your MBA Essay [& Get You Accepted!]
Sure you need good content in your MBA essay, but you also need your essay to look good, read well, and have a logical and coherent structure.

Linda, a renowned MBA admissions expert, knows what works and what doesn’t work when editing successful MBA essays – she’s got loads of tricks up her sleeve and is excited to share them with you! (SNEAK PEEK – hacks include the 3 A’s, the 3 INs, and the 3 elements of PAD. What are these things?? Attend the webinar to find out!)

Date: Thursday, December 16, 2015

Time: 10:00 AM PST/1:00 PM EST

Spaces are limited, so reserve your spot for 3 Hacks to Transform Your MBA Application right now!

Tags: MBA Admissions, webinar

The post Free Editing Hacks to Transform Your MBA Essay [& Get You Accepted!] appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.
Send PM
2015 Financial Time Best Global MBA Programs [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: 2015 Financial Time Best Global MBA Programs
Let’s see how our favorite global MBA programs fared in the 2015 Financial Times rankings.

(See the full chart on the FT site here.)

Last year, there were some very dramatic leaps and falls. This year there are fewer. Here are some highlights:

UC Berkeley Haas is the only newcomer to the top 10, jumping just a single place from 11th to 10th.

• The big jumps occur further down in the rankings: Imperial College Business School (UK), jumped 8 places from 42nd place last year to 34th place this year; The Lisbon MBA jumped from 50th last year to 36th this year; Purdue Krannert (US) jumped 9 places from 57th to 48th; Lancaster University Management School (UK) jumped 16 places from 66th to 50th; Washington Foster (US) jumped from 62nd to 51st; and the University of Cape Town GSB (South Africa) jumped from 62nd to 52nd place.

• The biggest losers this year include Emory Goizueta (US) which dropped from 50th place to 59th; Indiana Kelley (54th to 62nd); Illinois Urbana-Champaign (53rd to 71st); and Washington Olin (63rd to 72nd).

Related Resources:

• MBA Rankings: Why Should I Care? [short video]

Poets & Quants Best U.S. MBA Programs

• B-School Zones for Top MBA Programs

Tags: Cambridge Judge, CEIBS, Chicago Booth, Columbia Business School, ESADE, Financial Times, Harvard Business School, HEC, HKUST, IE, IESE, IMD, INSEAD, London Business School, MBA Admissions, MIT Sloan, Northwestern Kellogg, NYU Stern, Rankings, UC Berkeley Haas, Yale SOM

The post 2015 Financial Time Best Global MBA Programs appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.
GMAT Club Bot
2015 Financial Time Best Global MBA Programs [#permalink]
   1  ...  26   27   28   29   30  ...  122