Last visit was: 07 Jun 2024, 23:05 It is currently 07 Jun 2024, 23:05
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Wharton/Lauder - Class of 2013
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:Columbia Business School '13
 Q28  V36 GMAT 2: 650  Q40  V39 GMAT 3: 720  Q44  V45
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Investment Banking
WE 2: Higher Education
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GPA: 3.37
Send PM
Re: Admitted to Columbia Business School: Class of 2013 [#permalink]
phillypointgod21 wrote:
globalcitizen wrote:
any NYers going to the happy hour on march 24th?

on a separate note, whats up with the gloomy depressing weather today?? Dying for some sunshine here...

Gloomy all the way down the East Coast to VA. When I can't see the sun and I need a little inspiration, I look over my shoulder at my new Columbia pennant on the wall and think about how grateful I am that I'll never look in the GMAT prep section of this website again.

You guys want some endless gloom, try living in Seattle. 9 months of it. Is it summer yet? Only 4 more months to go.....
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CFA
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Columbia (enrolling), Booth (admitted), Kellogg (admitted), NYU (withdrawn)
 Q50  V45
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 3 yrs IM
Send PM
cidneymba2011 wrote:
phillypointgod21 wrote:
globalcitizen wrote:
any NYers going to the happy hour on march 24th?

on a separate note, whats up with the gloomy depressing weather today?? Dying for some sunshine here...

Gloomy all the way down the East Coast to VA. When I can't see the sun and I need a little inspiration, I look over my shoulder at my new Columbia pennant on the wall and think about how grateful I am that I'll never look in the GMAT prep section of this website again.

You guys want some endless gloom, try living in Seattle. 9 months of it. Is it summer yet? Only 4 more months to go.....

Minneapolis here soo... unless there's someone from Alaska... haha.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Columbia 2013 (accepted)
 Q48  V41
WE 1: Marine Infantry Officer (4 yrs)
WE 2: Aerospace (2.5 yrs)
Send PM
Hey guys, US News and WR ranking came out yesterday. We are at 9. I believe this is same as last year. I prefer to think that the Poets and Quants is the most accurate, cause we are ranked 5! Haha

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
jackhrobbins wrote:
Hey guys, US News and WR ranking came out yesterday. We are at 9. I believe this is same as last year. I prefer to think that the Poets and Quants is the most accurate, cause we are ranked 5! Haha

Ditto -- but on either ranking we beat out NYU!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Concentration: Brand Management
Schools:CBS Class of 2013
 Q45  V44
GPA: 2.9
Send PM
Moss wrote:
jackhrobbins wrote:

I guess mag 7 we're no longer....:/
Manager
Manager
Send PM
josiebella wrote:
Moss wrote:
jackhrobbins wrote:

I guess mag 7 we're no longer....:/

No reason to be upset y'all! I've wasted more time thinking about the M7, top-10 b-school list, etc. than I care to admit and I think it comes down to one simple thing: once you're inside the top-10, it really doesn't matter where you go. Every year HBS turns down TONS of very well qualified applicants capable of rocking the case method. Similarly, Wharton and Stanford turn down thousands of applicants perfectly capable of thriving in either school. Unless you have your heart dead-set on participating in a unique program that only exists at one school, all that matters is that you get a stamp of approval on your forehead from an elite b-school. That stamp of approval then gives you access to get your foot in the door nearly anywhere you want. At that point, it doesn't matter what school you attended. What matters is what you learned, how you apply that knowledge, and how hard you work.

Also, I think most people list "building a network" as a major reason for attending b-school. Obviously H/S/W attract students that are likely to have wildly successful careers, but you're unreasonably obsessed if you think H/S/W are the only schools where you can build an elite, diversified, international professional network. If you guys are honest with yourselves, you know you applied to HBS with confidence that you could be a star there. Also, you know just about everyone else and their mother applied there too. If you know that you would have rocked HBS, and your new classmate at CBS knows (s)he would have done the same, who is to say that the network you develop at CBS is any different than what you would build at HBS?

My point is that people who get starry eyed when they hear H/S/W or who love to talk about the M7 just don't get it...and those that do get it, don't talk about it. So, I look forward to seeing everyone at the Amsterdam Ale House during Columbia Connect II weekend to toast to getting our feet in the door. What we do with our careers from here is up to us and the sky is the limit.

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
phillypointgod21 wrote:

No reason to be upset y'all! I've wasted more time thinking about the M7, top-10 b-school list, etc. than I care to admit and I think it comes down to one simple thing: once you're inside the top-10, it really doesn't matter where you go. Every year HBS turns down TONS of very well qualified applicants capable of rocking the case method. Similarly, Wharton and Stanford turn down thousands of applicants perfectly capable of thriving in either school. Unless you have your heart dead-set on participating in a unique program that only exists at one school, all that matters is that you get a stamp of approval on your forehead from an elite b-school. That stamp of approval then gives you access to get your foot in the door nearly anywhere you want. At that point, it doesn't matter what school you attended. What matters is what you learned, how you apply that knowledge, and how hard you work.

Also, I think most people list "building a network" as a major reason for attending b-school. Obviously H/S/W attract students that are likely to have wildly successful careers, but you're unreasonably obsessed if you think H/S/W are the only schools where you can build an elite, diversified, international professional network. If you guys are honest with yourselves, you know you applied to HBS with confidence that you could be a star there. Also, you know just about everyone else and their mother applied there too. If you know that you would have rocked HBS, and your new classmate at CBS knows (s)he would have done the same, who is to say that the network you develop at CBS is any different than what you would build at HBS?

My point is that people who get starry eyed when they hear H/S/W or who love to talk about the M7 just don't get it...and those that do get it, don't talk about it. So, I look forward to seeing everyone at the Amsterdam Ale House during Columbia Connect II weekend to toast to getting our feet in the door. What we do with our careers from here is up to us and the sky is the limit.

Cheers!

This rant brought a tear to my eye ;-) Well said Philly!

Sad that I'll miss y'all at Connect II, have an extra beer for me! :drinking
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Oh and by the way - if you can make it here, you can make it anywhere! Forget Boston, Palo Alto, and Philly. Listen to Ms. Keys - "there's nothing you can't do, now you're in New York!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UjsXo9l6I8
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I don't know about you guys, but I'm going into finance. While Columbia's reputation among recruiters for health care brand management consultants may not be up to speed with other schools, I really don't care. If that's what's pulling our overall ranking down so be it. The fact of the matter is, for finance, NYC is the place to be. And if you're in NYC, Columbia is the school to be at. If you look at finance recruiting stats we're competitive with anyone -- that's the ranking that matters to me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Concentration: Brand Management
Schools:CBS Class of 2013
 Q45  V44
GPA: 2.9
Send PM
Moss wrote:
I don't know about you guys, but I'm going into finance. While Columbia's reputation among recruiters for health care brand management consultants may not be up to speed with other schools, I really don't care. If that's what's pulling our overall ranking down so be it. The fact of the matter is, for finance, NYC is the place to be. And if you're in NYC, Columbia is the school to be at. If you look at finance recruiting stats we're competitive with anyone -- that's the ranking that matters to me.

nope, not going into finance. but, i'm happy with my choice. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
lol didn't mean that as a dig on brand management!!!! :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FYI I got my Kroll results back yesterday. I think I submitted the form just under a month ago so it took a bit of time for them to get back to me. Nonetheless I passed with flying colors!
Current Student
Send PM
Moss wrote:
FYI I got my Kroll results back yesterday. I think I submitted the form just under a month ago so it took a bit of time for them to get back to me. Nonetheless I passed with flying colors!

Congrats!

I'm still waiting...any day now...(i think we submitted around the same time?)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
globalcitizen wrote:
Moss wrote:

Congrats!

I'm still waiting...any day now...(i think we submitted around the same time?)

I got a note from Mary earlier this week saying that I passed. No idea if my manager was called or anything?
Current Student
Send PM
cidney, how long did the whole process take for you? i called cbs two days ago and they told me that no news was good news.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
globalcitizen wrote:
cidney, how long did the whole process take for you? i called cbs two days ago and they told me that no news was good news.

Got the confirm that Kroll had received my release Authorization on March 1, email from Mary on March 17th.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Columbia 2013 (accepted)
 Q48  V41
WE 1: Marine Infantry Officer (4 yrs)
WE 2: Aerospace (2.5 yrs)
Send PM
Hey all, well looks like Kroll is definitely NOT discreet.

Voicemail from boss:

"Got a form here, for employment verification. Says Columbia Business School?! Call me."

He was actually very cool about it, not the way I wanted him to discover my plans but oh well!

As far as rankings, it will be interesting to see what happens when we get our brand new shiny building a few years from now. That will probably bump up our student satisfaction rating. I don't care much about rankings either, unless we fell to 15-20 then I would wonder.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  13   14   15   16   17   18   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6957 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts