Last visit was: 08 Jun 2024, 00:25 It is currently 08 Jun 2024, 00:25
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:Columbia Business School '13
 Q28  V36 GMAT 2: 650  Q40  V39 GMAT 3: 720  Q44  V45
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Investment Banking
WE 2: Higher Education
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GPA: 3.37
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Schools:Columbia Business School '13
 Q28  V36 GMAT 2: 650  Q40  V39 GMAT 3: 720  Q44  V45
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Investment Banking
WE 2: Higher Education
Send PM
Re: Admitted to Columbia Business School: Class of 2013 [#permalink]
Thanks cidney; that's very helpful. I'm looking forward to digging in on those links as soon as I can finish up my taxes this afternoon.

I've spent a decent amount of time in NY in the last several months and I've walked around UWS. I'd like to try to find a spot somewhere between the 60's and Columbia. Based on some brief research, it looks to me like up closer to Columbia you could find something around $1,000. I'd be pretty happy if I could score something in that price range.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
phillypointgod21 wrote:
Thanks cidney; that's very helpful. I'm looking forward to digging in on those links as soon as I can finish up my taxes this afternoon.

I've spent a decent amount of time in NY in the last several months and I've walked around UWS. I'd like to try to find a spot somewhere between the 60's and Columbia. Based on some brief research, it looks to me like up closer to Columbia you could find something around $1,000. I'd be pretty happy if I could score something in that price range.

Keep us posted on how that goes, I'd be interested to know whether any resources you find are more helpful than others, what areas/apartment complexes are maybe more affordable without getting stuck living in a rat hole, etc. Good luck, with both the search and your taxes :wink:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
globalcitizen wrote:
Thanks, malbec! I didn't notice that :)

you are welcome!

globalcitizen wrote:
Question to Moss: Have you heard back yet about Kroll? I think we submitted the form at the same time.

My only concern with Kroll is my previous employment history (international). My previous employer was a startup and I doubt they have an official HR file for me. There is a new HR lady there (the old one knew me and could vouch for my employment) but I strongly doubt she knows of my existence...Should I call CBS and give them the old HR lady's contact info? My old boss there also left. I didn't bother informing CBS because the Kroll form only asked for details about current employer. Or should I just wait and see as I am doing now? Any advice would be appreciated!

I don´t know if it helps, but Kroll only contact my current employment
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
taking about where to live...
any international that have applied for on-campus option?
Does anyone know when we hear about our future apartment?
and also about the rent? in the web page appears only an average (and a wide range).

also for internationals, has anyone started sending the docs for the I-20 form?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Columbia (matriculating 2013), Booth (admitted), Wharton (WL)
Send PM
phillypointgod21 wrote:

Something for $1k for a studio? That would be fantastic. Although, would that be pushing up to the Harlem area?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Columbua Business School - RD (admitted w $ + enrolled), Harvard Business School - R2 (ding), Chicago Booth - R2 (admitted /w $$), NYU Stern - R2 (admitted w/$$$)
Send PM
Hey guys...I am new to this forum. I have enjoyed reading everyone's posts and appreciate all the information sharing.

Columbia was the first school I was admitted to and since then I have pretty much had my heart set on going there. However, today I found out I got into NYU with a full scholarship. While I still believe going to Columbia would be amazing, I can't overlook the reality that going to NYU would eliminate $100k in debt off my tab.

I am really torn over this decision between two great schools. I thought it would be helpful to gather some feedback on this forum. I know everyone here is going to lean toward Columbia, but I do too so that is why I wanted to post this topic here.

I appreciate any feedback/advice you can provide.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Concentration: Brand Management
Schools:CBS Class of 2013
 Q45  V44
GPA: 2.9
Send PM
globalcitizen wrote:
CPAtoMBA wrote:
Hey guys...I am new to this forum. I have enjoyed reading everyone's posts and appreciate all the information sharing.

Columbia was the first school I was admitted to and since then I have pretty much had my heart set on going there. However, today I found out I got into NYU with a full scholarship. While I still believe going to Columbia would be amazing, I can't overlook the reality that going to NYU would eliminate $100k in debt off my tab.

I am really torn over this decision between two great schools. I thought it would be helpful to gather some feedback on this forum. I know everyone here is going to lean toward Columbia, but I do too so that is why I wanted to post this topic here.

I appreciate any feedback/advice you can provide.

Posted from my mobile device

Hi CPAtoMBA!

CONGRATULATIONS on the full scholarship!! Thats AMAZING! You should be so proud of yourself :)

As much as I love Columbia, if I were you, I would honestly take the full scholarship and go to NYU. Not having $100k+ in debt is a huge blessing that is hard to pass up. And in reality, when you graduate from bshcool, you are likely to have around $140-$160k in loans (don't forget room and board) which is a huge sum of money that you will be paying off for a good number of years. Think of what you can do with that $100k. Your options are graduating with $40-$60k vs $140-$160k...I think its a no-brainer given that Stern is very highly regarded (top 10 or 15?) and will offer you the same recruiting opportunities as Columbia.

Columbia does have the better brand name but I have friends at both CBS and Stern and was surprised to find out that the exact same companies that recruit at Columbia come to NYU. Exact same companies. Some here will say, oh but it depends what you want to do. However, I really don't think that Stern will put you at any kind of significant disadvantage compared to Columbia in whatever area you choose (at least not enough of a disadvantage to want to take on $100k in debt). In fact, one of the pros of Stern is that they have so many sub-specialities. Again, I am saying this because I have friends at both schools and I am convinced that, apart from CBS' name, they are relatively comparable and they offer similar post-mba career opportunities to their students. Note: all of this is said with the assumption that you are a relatively motivated individual who will put in a moderate amount of effort for recruiting.

Off the top of my head, the advantages that Columbia has over Stern are:
- Brand name/better reputation/ivy league
- Higher ranking (by 5 spots? not major)
- More international student body and better known abroad
- Cheaper housing (Morningside Heights vs Greenwich Village)

I don't know much about Stern Alumni network and thus can't compare it to CBS'. I also don't know many details about the Stern MBA program, only what I hear from my friends there. I do know that they have great facilities and a strong sense of community amongst the students. I would look at employment reports (and find out what companies recruit there, post-mba salaries, how strong is their career center, etc), spend time and socialize with students, look at classes/professors/guest lectures, events/conferences, etc from both school to compare...

Good luck and let us know what you decide!!

And for the record, I am by no means putting down Columbia. Just being practical.

FWIW, I completely agree with this assessment. I got $25K scholarship from Stern, so big diff from full scholarship, but I had a very similar struggle in deciding and if I were awarded full schol, I would've chosen Stern no brainer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Columbia 2013 (accepted)
 Q48  V41
WE 1: Marine Infantry Officer (4 yrs)
WE 2: Aerospace (2.5 yrs)
Send PM
Totally agree. Columbia's edge on Stern is not significant enough to warrant passing up on $100k. I think in NYC, they are virtually equal. I would say the further you go from NYC the bigger the gap between schools.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I agree. If I were in your shoes, I would definitely be going to NYU with a full ride $$$$. Congratulations CPAtoMBA, that's incredible!

I'm not sure how it works, but if you really want to go to CBS - maybe you can tell Columbia about the offer and use it as leverage for $$ to narrow the gap.... As I said, I'm not familiar with b-school $ negotiating. But worth a try?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Concentration: Brand Management
 Q45  V44
GPA: 2.9
Send PM
nycgirl84 wrote:
I agree. If I were in your shoes, I would definitely be going to NYU with a full ride $$$$. Congratulations CPAtoMBA, that's incredible!

I'm not sure how it works, but if you really want to go to CBS - maybe you can tell Columbia about the offer and use it as leverage for $$ to narrow the gap.... As I said, I'm not familiar with b-school $ negotiating. But worth a try?

I tried this and CBS's answer was basically "We don't give a f-ck." LOL. But maybe with a full ride counteroffer they may be a little more receptive...Worth a shot!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
My perception is that NYU has basically the same opportunities on the Finance side, but if you're going for consulting it is much more limited if you are targeting the top 3. Anyone else agree/disagree?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
A free MBA from a top 10 school? And it's in New York? Granted, I am for Columbia all the way because it was the right choice for me personally, but you should definitely take advantage of this once in a lifetime opportunity. I'm sure you won't regret it, more especially when all your friends are drowning in debt for the next 5 to 10 years :wink:
Stanford School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Schools:Booth
 Q48  V45
GPA: 3.39
Send PM
vincev84 wrote:
My perception is that NYU has basically the same opportunities on the Finance side, but if you're going for consulting it is much more limited if you are targeting the top 3. Anyone else agree/disagree?

87 placements at M/B/B for the CBS class of 2009 vs. 9 at Stern. See the Poets and Quants article: https://poetsandquants.com/2010/08/16/ne ... ss-school/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
I think NYU with a full scholarship versus Columbia with no money depends on your career choice. If you want to go into finance, then take CBS. You'll make plenty of money real quickly and will be able to pay off the debt. Associates should be pulling in $250-350K at most shops. A lot of business is the network you have, and CBS's network is simply better. I also believe you'll have a better chance of getting into a finance job through Columbia than through NYU.

If you want to go into another career, then compare the placement statistics. Based on the conversation above, it looks like CBS is significantly better at placing people at M/B/B consulting firms. NYU may have better placement in other industries.

I think way too many people look at the short term gain over the long term gain. $150k is not that much money over the long term, expecially if a school can make the difference between getting the job you want and settling for a job you're not too happy with.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I think those of us that are consumed with the "short term game" are likely just scared out of our wits about the debt we're about to incur.

Okay, so I'm speaking for myself here.... possibly.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CFA
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Columbia (enrolling), Booth (admitted), Kellogg (admitted), NYU (withdrawn)
 Q50  V45
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 3 yrs IM
Send PM
runnergirl wrote:
vincev84 wrote:

87 placements at M/B/B for the CBS class of 2009 vs. 9 at Stern. See the Poets and Quants article: https://poetsandquants.com/2010/08/16/ne ... ss-school/

I'm not sure that's accurate since Stern only gives a list of companies with 3+ hires so P&Q assumes only 3 hires.
Stanford School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Schools:Booth
 Q48  V45
GPA: 3.39
Send PM
cg86 wrote:
runnergirl wrote:
vincev84 wrote:

I'm not sure that's accurate since Stern only gives a list of companies with 3+ hires so P&Q assumes only 3 hires.

Apologies. I misread the table. You are correct- the list of employers in the P&Q table are disclosed by Stern as hiring 3 or more grads.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  12   13   14   15   16  ...  18   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6957 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts