Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 03:42 It is currently 03 May 2024, 03:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Re: Advantage of CFA in MBA application [#permalink]
Good book for GMAT? Or just general reading?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
A book to help me plan the application process.

Thanks again!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 129 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance
Schools:LBS, Oxford
 Q50  V42
Send PM
wondering if you have know that CFA is very challenging....

no doubt it helps in MBA ( assuming you can nit this well with your long term goals)....in fact many would argue that a complete CFA is as good or even better as tier-2 MBA Finance from USA

only issue though....it specifically prepares you for portfolio management....so if your target is VS/PE/Fund Management/Research it helps....

for pure M&A advisory and any general management role...ivy league is the preferred route

just browse through sites of all tier-1 colleges....almost all have tie-ups with CFA institute and they market it high
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Getting candidates into great schools!
Schools:Harvard, Wharton, Stanford, Columbia, Chicago, MIT, NYU, Yale, +
Send PM
Expert Reply
[highlight]From Dr. Shel Watts, https://www.mbaadmit.com

Check our Website for Our Current Limited-Time Specials!

MBA Admit.com: Proudly, one of the most affordable top-quality MBA admissions consulting companies[/highlight]

Hi MBAaspirant4,

I find that passing even the first level of the CFA is something that can add value for some candidates. But, the CFA is very hard to pass, so I don't think that will be time well spent unless you truly need it for your career. Most likely, you will be better off spending time studying hard to get an outstanding GMAT score, and gaining some excellent extracurricular activity credentials. The ROI there will likely be much higher for you in the admissions process.

Best wishes,
Shelly Watts
[highlight]MBA Admit.com
https://www.mbaadmit.com
Email: mbaadmit@aol.com[/highlight]

MBAaspirant4 wrote:
Hi, I am from a non-finance background (consulting) and I am planning to apply for and start MBA in 2013. In the meantime, I thought of taking CFA exams. I have two questions in that respect:
1. How much of an added value will it be to clear CFA exams in bolstering my application to the top MBA programs such as LBS, Kellogg etc?
2. Do I have to clear all three levels before it can hold its worth in the application?

I am very skeptical and do not want to invest a lot of time in CFA if the ROI is not that much. Would rather spend my time in doing other things that may help me in developing a more well rounded application. My main motivation for getting a CFA, is to compensate for non-Finance background both during the application process and during MBA. Do you that my expectations from the certification is valid?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
CFA exams are tough due to the time commitment required to pass the exams. CFA level-1 is definitely going to help you in the MBA application process if you plan to get into the finance field. CFA holds real value in investment management but even level-1 is a proof that you have the finance basics right and you can work hard.

If you haven't appeared for your GMAT and haven't really pondered about different essay questions... I would suggest to invest this time in preparing the application package. If you are serious about CFA then register for the test for December 11 (or even June 12) and mention that in your application.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
MBAaspirant4 wrote:
Hi, I am from a non-finance background (consulting) and I am planning to apply for and start MBA in 2013. In the meantime, I thought of taking CFA exams. I have two questions in that respect:
1. How much of an added value will it be to clear CFA exams in bolstering my application to the top MBA programs such as LBS, Kellogg etc?
2. Do I have to clear all three levels before it can hold its worth in the application?

I am very skeptical and do not want to invest a lot of time in CFA if the ROI is not that much. Would rather spend my time in doing other things that may help me in developing a more well rounded application. My main motivation for getting a CFA, is to compensate for non-Finance background both during the application process and during MBA. Do you that my expectations from the certification is valid?

There are many students to pursue MBA without having any background in finance. If in future you want to get in financial side then only you should focus so heavily on CFA now. Although you don’t need to take all three levels if you don’t see your career in finance direction.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
MBAaspirant4,

Unless you are planning to make a career switch into Portfolio Management either pre- or post- MBA, I would not suggest getting a CFA.

Here are excerpt from our recent Blog at Inside MBA Admissions:

"Many of our clients ask whether getting a business specialization certification like a CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst) or one of the APICs certifications (Supply Chain / Operations Management) will give them a better chance of being admitted to their targeted Business School. The answer is yes, but with some caveats....

...The caveat is that the value of your certification to a Business School varies depending on your career goals. Schools will place a low value on a certification that does not fit with the goals stated by the candidate. For example, obtaining a CFA right before applying to business school, where you intend to focus on Corporate Finance, will only confuse the Admissions committees. Additionally, these certifications take a great deal of time to acquire and are not something that can be completed in the summer before applying to school. Simply beginning the certification process, or getting a few modules completed for the sake of business school applications is not a good strategy. Rather, the certification needs to seem like a step in a logical career progression. In many ways the reason for the certification is similar to the need for the MBA, and it needs to come across similarly in the application: it provides the experience and education necessary to achieve career goals. Certifications that reinforce a candidate's focus and demonstrate career progression are very powerful."
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
MBAaspirant4 wrote:

CFA just as a certification will not help your MBA application, however, it can aid you in presenting your goals with more passion and commitment. Coming from a non-finance background, You will find it a bit easy to convince the adcom about the seriousness and and your goals in finance field as a post MBA career choice. Moreover, it may help you DURING your MBA when companies come for internship recruiting and having Level 2 (or more) candidacy/certification will help you to pitch yourself to them in a convincing manner. Also, keep in mind that a large portion of CFA coursework is similar to MBA and hence, it will be much easier to get the complete certification DURING/AFTER your MBA coursework. Many schools also provides credits, trainings and scholarships, for those who enrolled for CFA exams during their MBA classes.
GMAT Club Bot