Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:15 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
justme123 wrote:
Hi Paul,

Thank you for your prompt response. If you don't mind, I would like to ask you a few more questions.

I think there might be a couple of red flags: There was a little less than 2 years of unemployment gap as a result of my injury and personal crisis (I did keep myself busy though). Ever since, I've held mostly contract work while taking classes. Another red flag could be I took longer to finish my undergraduate degrees because of my involvement in the family business. Are these issues addressable?

My leadership is limited to my non-profit involvement (i.e. a strong rec. from my volunteer supervisor), but not much at work. Unfortunately, the other recommendation (also strong) will come from a math professor in a top 20 university, not a work supervisor as I don't really have one at my current job. I don't know. Maybe MBA is an unwise choice given what I am lacking?

Since you mentioned using the first reason (i.e. injury), I was wondering how I can position myself without sounding overly pathetic, self-pitying or self-justifying? To elaborate on the second reason (i.e. finance), I've always wanted to get involved in community development, where much of the non-profit and private work intersect, and eventually start a non-profit doing finance work (rather not disclose the details here). By saying that, I hope I'm not mistakenly making a stronger case for MPP rather than MBA.

Thank you.

Justme123,

Forgive my tardiness in responding. Yes, your employment gap, age, and lack of leadership at work will all be "red flags" that will impact how high you can aim targeting B-schools. (I think the extra time to complete your undergrad is a non-issue.) All these issues are addressable and should be addressed in a positive, damage-controlling way in the essays.

I don't think that your red flags mean you should not consider the MBA if that's what you really want. Again, it just affects which schools you're likely to get into. Certainly the goal you describe is a perfectly valid reason for an MBA rather than a MPP and will be regarded as such by the adcoms.

You can avoid striking the wrong tone regarding your injury by simply describing it and your response (emotionally and otherwise) factually. A consultant like myself could help you gauge whether it's coming off well.

Assuming your GMAT is competitive, you could probably still apply to all the schools you mentioned, UCLA and USC as long shots. BTW, it's perfectly fine to contact these schools, tell them your credentials, and ask them what they think. See if they're encouraging or discouraging.

Good luck,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Paul,

Thanks again. After thinking extensively on this subject, I reasoned that a day-time MBA may not be ideal for me at this point; not only it's a huge investment (ITO time + money), but my incongruent profile (older, lack of leadership, etc) also indicate that i'm not well-prepared to fully take advantage of what the program has to offer. Most importanly, I'm not 100% sure whether MBA is for me as MBA courses are very general in nature, and I prefer a more technical approach to things. So I'm now leaning towards a master degree in either accounting or finance. I know neither of them provides as much "perceived" value as an MBA, but each is only a one-year program and it should help give me a leg-up to the business world. By the way, I'd be very interested in hearing your opinion on this. That said, I want to ask you about your essay and LOR-edit service - the cost, whether it's MBA-only, and your experience of handling non-MBA cases, etc. Please feel free to communicate with me offline. Thank you.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
justme123 wrote:
Hi Paul,

Thanks again. After thinking extensively on this subject, I reasoned that a day-time MBA may not be ideal for me at this point; not only it's a huge investment (ITO time + money), but my incongruent profile (older, lack of leadership, etc) also indicate that i'm not well-prepared to fully take advantage of what the program has to offer. Most importanly, I'm not 100% sure whether MBA is for me as MBA courses are very general in nature, and I prefer a more technical approach to things. So I'm now leaning towards a master degree in either accounting or finance. I know neither of them provides as much "perceived" value as an MBA, but each is only a one-year program and it should help give me a leg-up to the business world. By the way, I'd be very interested in hearing your opinion on this. That said, I want to ask you about your essay and LOR-edit service - the cost, whether it's MBA-only, and your experience of handling non-MBA cases, etc. Please feel free to communicate with me offline. Thank you.

justme123,

I'd be glad to discuss your situation with you offline. We work with applicants to graduate programs as well as professional programs, and though MBA applicants represent the bulk of our clients I have worked with people applying to MS Finance / Accounting programs before. Please email me at paulbodine@accepted.com so we can discuss this further.

Thanks,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Paul,

I emailed you but the email was bounced back twice with the error: unknown user. Maybe the mail server at Accpeted.com was down?

Please give me your email address again or provide me with an alternative email address where I have a better chance of reaching you.

Thanks!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
justme123 wrote:
Hi Paul,

I emailed you but the email was bounced back twice with the error: unknown user. Maybe the mail server at Accpeted.com was down?

Please give me your email address again or provide me with an alternative email address where I have a better chance of reaching you.

Thanks!

Justme123,

Sorry about that. Please try me again at paulbodine@yahoo.com.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Just wanted to chime in, since I've given this issue a lot of thought...

Relatively older age is something to seriously consider when going to B-school. I'm currently at UCLA and I feel old at 30. It's a very young scene: lots of drinking, etc--this goes for all B-schools I've visited. Here, there is only a handful of people aged ~35 max, and they don't attend any events outside of class (for good reason).

Originally posted by eastcoaster9 on 12 Oct 2006, 22:15.
Last edited by eastcoaster9 on 02 Nov 2006, 01:58, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
eastcoaster9 wrote:
Just wanted to chime in, since I've given this issue a lot of thought...

Relatively older age is something to seriously consider when going to B-school. I'm currently at UCLA and I feel old at 30. It's a very young scene: lots of drinking, etc--this goes for all B-schools I've visited. Here, there are literally only a handful of people aged ~35 max, and they don't attend any events outside of class (for good reason).

Thanks for your input.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]