Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:04 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Long Passagex   Sciencex                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 573 [143]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63670 [34]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4586 [16]
Given Kudos: 606
Concentration: Technology, Other
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 401 [9]
Given Kudos: 257
Concentration: Finance, Organizational Behavior
GRE 1: Q168 V167
GPA: 3.85
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: All of the cells in a particular plant start out with the same [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
gmatconqueror2018 wrote:
I struggled to find the correct answers even after pausing the time and looking carefully into the passage. Probably the hardest passage anyone would encounter on the actual test. Never seen anything this complex before. Doesn't help that the answer choices sound very similar to one another as well.

Hi gmatconqueror2018,

Let me share my thoughts on this passage. I managed the passage in 09:08 and all my answers were correct. Initially, this type of passage was a nightmare of mine and I was in the same situation as you are in now. However, now I am doing pretty well on passages on anatomy and biology. What I did was to translate all the details of such passages and visualize the hormonal processes described in them. I googled hormones, enzymes, genes, chemical messengers, etc. and spent some time studying how they work. Pictures and videos about cells and their parts are easy to follow and memorize. Yes, all this took some time but it was both interesting and worth all the effort. Just translating and understanding are not enough. I also wanted to be able to visualize all the process described because thus I could easily memorize all new terms with their interrelation. As soon as I learnt a few passages this way, I became really comfortable with such passages. GMAT mostly uses the same terminology for such passages even if processes describes in them are different.

Actually, this tactic works well with passages in every topic. I read about feminism and especially about cosmos. Writings of Stephen Hopkins were really helpful. Vocabulary of his works seemed to be tough but I had to learn the terminology because I meet these words in RC a lot. On top, learning all new words I meet in RC is hugely helpful because thus I understand the passage fast, don’t have to read it twice, and memorize it easily so that I can answer questions without going back to it.

I hope I wrote at least something useful for you. Have a good day.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 434 [8]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi oasis90

Yes, exactly.

The first paragraph is a good example of a process that you could decide to capture with a simple diagram with arrows. You could work backwards as follows:

You read:
Quote:
How then can these cells differentiate and form structures as different as roots, stems, leaves, and fruits? The answer is that only a small subset of the genes in a particular kind of cell are expressed, or turned on, at a given time.

You write: express/turn on genes -> differentiate cells into roots, stems, etc

Then you read:
Quote:
This is accomplished by a complex system of chemical messengers that in plants include hormones and other regulatory molecules.

Then you write: chem. mssgrs (hormones, reg. molecules) before or above your existing notes, to represent their place in the process.
So now your simple diagram says "chem. mssgrs (hormones, reg. molecules) -> express/turn on genes -> differentiate cells into roots, stems, etc"

Then you read:
Quote:
Five major hormones have been identified: auxin, abscisic acid, cytokinin, ethylene, and gibberellin. Studies of plants have now identified a new class of regulatory molecules called oligosaccharins.

Now you write 5 maj. hormones + oligos. (new class) under/over/next to the chem. messengers.
So your chain now says:
"chem. mssgrs (hormones, reg. molecules) [5 maj. hormones + oligos] -> express/turn on genes -> differentiate cells into roots, stems, etc"

Now you've made a note/diagram that is way clearer than the words in the paragraph because it puts things in the right order and is more straightforward.

As we have seen before, any kind of a process (A leads to B leads to C) is important to notice when reading. GMAT loves to ask questions about these to see if we've really understood the process.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5426 [3]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
kkrrsshh wrote:
For Q3, agreed that Oligosachhariins perform specific function and plant root system is specific. But arent we inferring too far here because there is nothing mentioned in passage about oligosachharin and root system. Passage just mentions specific function:It can be any specific function but we dont know that from passage.
Please, can anyone throw light on this.

Hi kkrrsshh ,

I agree with your point. But notice the wording of the question. It says "likely" to be performed.

This means we need to find out an option that says the function is specific rather than generic. Hence, only option A does so. Thus, the correct answer.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 434 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi oasis90

Your evidence is the first paragraph (bolding mine):

Quote:
How then can these cells differentiate and form structures as different as roots, stems, leaves, and fruits? The answer is that only a small subset of the genes in a particular kind of cell are expressed, or turned on, at a given time. This is accomplished by a complex system of chemical messengers that in plants include hormones and other regulatory molecules. Five major hormones have been identified: auxin, abscisic acid, cytokinin, ethylene, and gibberellin. Studies of plants have now identified a new class of regulatory molecules called oligosaccharins.

To simplify these sentences, differentiation happens because of gene expression. Gene expression is "accomplished by" (I might say just "done by") chemical messengers including "other regulatory molecules." Oligosaccharins are one of these "other regulatory molecules." So, oligosaccharins accomplish gene expression that tells cells to differentiate.

So here we have to basically summarize/collapse five sentences into one - but the evidence is there.
Does this help?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [3]
Given Kudos: 5
GPA: 3.11
Send PM
Kudos
I have a real problem with the answer for 6.

OA is C. There is no acceptable definition of the word “artificial” that makes this answer choice correct.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63670 [3]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply

Question 2

Harsh2111s wrote:
Can someone explain question 2 ?

How option 'D" is the answer

At the start of paragraph three, the passage says:

The pleiotropy of the five well-studied plant hormones (a.k.a. the "five major hormones" identified in paragraph one) is somewhat analogous to that of certain hormones in animal. For example, hormones from the hypothalamus in the brain stimulate the anterior lobe of the pituitary gland to synthesize and release many different hormones...

Paragraph four says:

Such a hierarchy may also exist in plants...There are indications that pleiotropic plant hormones (again, these are the "five major hormones") may actually function by activating the enzymes that release these other, more specific chemical messengers from the cell wall.

So, altogether, paragraphs three and four tell us that:

• The pleiotropy of the pleiotropic hormones are analogous to certain animal hormones (like hypothalamic hormones).
  • Hypothalmic hormones exist in a hierarchy. Within that hierarchy, they stimulate a gland, which synthesizes and releases many different hormones, which then stimulate other glands and cause release of other hormones.
  • This kind of hierarchy may also exist in plants. The pleiotropic hormones occupy a similar space in this hierarchy as hypothalamic hormones in their hierarchy, because the pleiotropic hormones activate enzymes that then release other, more specific chemical messengers from the cell wall.

This is why (D) is the best answer choice. I hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
5. According to the passage, which of the following best describes a function performed by oligosaccharins?

The genes in a particular kind of cell...are expressed, or turned on,...by a complex system of chemical messengers that include...regulatory molecules...called oligosaccharins. (Paragraph 1)

Reverse the reverb to get D ("Influencing the development of a plant’s cells by controlling the expression of the cells’ genes").

Oligosaccharins are regulatory molecules that are chemical messengers and that turn on or express the genes in a particular kind of cell.

[XyaXdj]
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [2]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V35
Send PM
Kudos
I finally found out the answer. This question is very complicated. It took me half an hour to crack this question.

D is the correct answer.

According to the passage:

"The pleiotropy of the five well-studied plant hormones is somewhat analogous to that of certain hormones in animal. For example, hormones from the hypothalamus in the brain stimulate the anterior lobe of the pituitary gland to synthesize and release many different hormones, one of which stimulates the release of hormones from the adrenal cortex. These hormones have specific effects on target organs all over the body. One hormone stimulates the thyroid gland, for example, another the ovarian follicle cells, and so forth. In other words, there is a hierarchy of hormones. Such a hierarchy may also exist in plants. Oligosaccharins are fragments of the cell wall released by enzymes: different enzymes release different oligosaccharins. There are indications that pleiotropic plant hormones may actually function by activating the enzymes that release these other, more specific chemical messengers from the cell wall.

The processes in animals and in plants could be summarized as followed:

In animals: hypothalamus --> synthesize and release many different hormones --> one hormones stimulates the release of hormones from the adrenal cortex --> effects on target organs

In plants: pleiotropic plant hormones --> enzymes --> Oligosaccharins i.e. fragments of the cell wall released by enzymes --> different enzymes release different oligosaccharins

So hypothalamus can be inferred to function as pleiotropic plant hormones do.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 401 [2]
Given Kudos: 257
Concentration: Finance, Organizational Behavior
GRE 1: Q168 V167
GPA: 3.85
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
JDF wrote:
I have a real problem with the answer for 6.

OA is C. There is no acceptable definition of the word “artificial” that makes this answer choice correct.

Posted from my mobile device

Hi JDF,

You can find the correct answer for question 6 here:

Unlike the oligosaccharins, the five well-known plant hormones are pleiotropic rather than specific; that is, each has more than one effect on the growth and development of plants. The five has so many simultaneous effects that they are not very useful in artificially controlling the growth of crops.

This part of the passage says that oligosaccharins are specific while those five hormones are NOT specific but pleiotropic. Pleiotropic means that these five hormones don’t affect specific aspects of crops, but they have many different simultaneous effects (such as growing shoots, roots, vascular system, etc.). Because of pleiotropic nature, these five hormones cannot be used to artificially control the growth of the crop. We can infer that in order to artificially control the growth (growth is one of specific aspects of crop’s development) we need something SPECIFIC, namely oligosaccharins. C exactly gives this answer.

Was it helpful?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 434 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi mSKR

Let's focus again on this sentence:

Unlike the oligosaccharins, the five well-known plant hormones are pleiotropic rather than specific; that is, each has more than one effect on the growth and development of plants.

On one side, we have oligosaccharins. On the other side, we have the 5 well-known plant hormones.

We are told that these two groups are unlike => we could think of them as opposites.

We are told that the 5 well-known plant hormones are pleiotropic, and the sentence then tells us what pleiotropic means (multiple effects on the growth/development of plants.) So oligosaccharins must be the opposite of pleiotropic. The opposite of having multiple effects is having a specific, singular effect. So oligosaccharins are specific - meaning they have specific (read: singular) effects on plant growth/development.

In your summary, it seems like you are getting turned around trying to consider subsystems. We have no evidence about subsystems. We actually don't care about subsystems. Answer E is wrong as soon as it says "multiple effects". We need an answer that will match with our understanding of oligosaccharins as having only specific/singular effects.

Does this help? Please let us know.

Quote:
Unlike means:
O should have single effect on plants - multiple systems
or
O should have multiple effect on a single subsystem

Hormones influence multiple sub-system . O influences single sub-system( can have single or mutiple effect)

How to come out of this confusion, with unlike , what is the right meaning?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 434 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi shenwenlim

Quote:
experts, for question 3, what makes C wrong?

The evidence you need is the second sentence of the last paragraph.

Quote:
Oligosaccharins are fragments of the cell wall released by enzymes: different enzymes release different oligosaccharins.

Oligosaccharins ARE the fragments of the cell wall released by the enzymes. They are the RESULT of the process described in C, not the cause.

You can improve your performance on RC questions like this by asking yourself why you got this wrong. This answer choice, in a way, was friendly, because it repeated the exact same language from the passage. Hopefully that triggered you to say "wait, that sounds familiar. Let me go back and re-read the sentence that sounded like that."
Did you skip over/not read the relevant sentence from the passage? Or did you recognize the language as familiar-sounding, so you chose this answer without going back to the evidence in the passage to confirm what it said?

Frankly, we should always be extremely suspicious of answer choices that include the exact same language as the passage. This is often a way that testmakers write wrong answers. Sometimes a wrong answer choice starts with the exact same phrase as the passage but then adds something at the end that wasn't covered in the passage. Or, like in this question, the quoted language does have to do with oligosaccharins, but it gets the relationship or process wrong: the answer choice makes o's the cause and not the effect of this process.

Does this help? Let us know.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3067 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
jimjohn wrote:
could someone plz explain the answers for #2 and #3

For (2), I would have gone for D.
For (3), Although the OA is (A), I go for (B). In the last few lines of the passage:

oligosaccharins are fragments of the cell wall released by enzymes: different enzymes release different oligosaccharins. there are indications that pleiotropic plant hormones may actually function by activating the
enzymes that release these other, more specific chemical messengers from the cell wall.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Kudos
Answer to question 3 and 5 please, with explanation.
Plus, for question 5, the last line says that there are indications hormones might work by activating enzymes that release oligosaccharins, so why is d not the answer for 5
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 77
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
JarvisR wrote:
10 mins.
1. according to the passage, the five well-known plant hormones are not useful in controlling the growth of crops because
(a) it is not known exactly what functions the hormones perform
(b) each hormone has various effects on plants
>> unlike the oligosaccharins, the five well-known plant hormones are pleiotropic rather than specific,

(c) none of the hormones can function without the others
(d) each hormone has different effects on different kinds of plants
(e) each hormone works on only a small subset of a cell's genes at any particular time

2. the passage suggests that the place of hypothalamic hormones in the hormonal hierarchies of animals is similar to the place of which of the following in plants?
(a) plant cell walls
(b) the complement of genes in each plant cell
(c) a subset of a plant cell's gene complement
(d) the five major hormones
>> Animal hormones example is presented to present the idea of hormone hierarchy in plants.

(e) the oligosaccharins

3. the passage suggests that which of the following is a function likely to be performed by an oligosaccharin?
(a) to stimulate a particular plant cell to become part of a plant's root system
>> unlike the oligosaccharins, the five well-known plant hormones are pleiotropic rather than specific,

(b) to stimulate the walls of a particular cell to produce other oligosaccharins
(c) to activate enzymes that release specific chemical messengers from plant cell walls
(d) to duplicate the gene complement in a particular plant cell
(e) to produce multiple effects on a particular subsystem of plant cells

4. the author mentions specific effects that auxin has on plant development in order to illustrate the
(a) point that some of the effects of plant hormones can be harmful
(b) way in which hormones are produced by plants
(c) hierarchical nature of the functioning of plant hormones
(d) differences among the best-known plant hormones
(e) concept of pleiotropy as it is exhibited by plant hormones
>>the five well-known plant hormones are pleiotropic rather than specific.Since auxin has multiple effects.

5. according to the passage, which of the following best describes a function performed by oligosaccharins?
(a) regulating the daily functioning of a plant's cells
(b) interacting with one another to produce different chemicals
(c) releasing specific chemical messengers from a plant's cell walls
(d) producing the hormones that cause plant cells to differentiate to perform different functions
(e) influencing the development of a plant's cells by controlling the expression of the cells' genes

6. the passage suggests that, unlike the pleiotropic hormones, oligosaccharins could be used effectively to
(a) trace the passage of chemicals through the walls of cells
(b) pinpoint functions of other plant hormones
(c) artificially control specific aspects of the development of crops
>> Unlike P, O can influence specific property.

(d) alter the complement of genes in the cells of plants
(e) alter the effects of the five major hormones on plant development

7. the author discusses animal hormones primarily in order to
(a) introduce the idea of a hierarchy of hormones
>>the pleiotropy of the five well-studied plant <b>(25)</b> hormones is somewhat analogous to that of certain hormones in animal.

(b) explain the effects that auxin has on plant cells
(c) contrast the functioning of plant hormones and animals hormones
(d) illustrate the way in which particular hormones affect animals
(e) explain the distinction between hormones and regulatory molecules

For Q3, agreed that Oligosachhariins perform specific function and plant root system is specific. But arent we inferring too far here because there is nothing mentioned in passage about oligosachharin and root system. Passage just mentions specific function:It can be any specific function but we dont know that from passage.
Please, can anyone throw light on this.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9245 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mSKR wrote:
Unlike the oligosaccharins, the five well-known plant hormones are pleiotropic rather than specific; that is, each has more than one effect on the growth and development of plants.

plant hormones has more than one effect on plants( systems- root, leave etc.)
Unlike means:
O should have single effect on plants - multiple systems
or
O should have multiple effect on a single subsystem

Hormones influence multiple sub-system . O influences single sub-system( can have single or mutiple effect)

How to come out of this confusion, with unlike , what is the right meaning?

The text says: "Unlike the oligosaccharins, the five well-known plant hormones are pleiotropic rather than specific". So the five known hormones are pleiotropic, and the oligosaccharins are specific, and that's why they are unlike the five known hormones. The rest of the sentence just defines what 'pleiotropic' means.

I don't see how the text could be open to any other interpretation. I don't follow how you arrived at a potential distinction between "multiple systems" and "a single subsystem". Those phrases don't appear anywhere in the sentence using "unlike".
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [1]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
All of the cells in a particular plant start out with the same [#permalink]
Kudos
COVID19butGMAT20 wrote:
Hi BrightOutlookJenn

Your insights have been great! I must admit I took way too much time to read through the passage and break the same in different bits for my ease of understanding and I suffered in Q3 and 5. I was able to eliminate the most commonly picked answers but I was unable to really understand the relevance or the meaning of the actual correct answers.

In such cases and if faced with a similar situation in the actual GMAT, could you please suggest how we can tackle the same. Also this really was a complex passage for a 600 level passage IMO.

Thanks

Hey COVID19butGMAT20, I'm no expert but I've realised that it is absolutely crucial to get the main point of the passage. The things that I kept in mind while I attempting this passage was that
1. Five hormones have multiple functions
2. Oligosaccharins have specific functions
3. There is heirarchy, The five hormones probably trigger regulatory chemicals that go on to perform specific functions.

For me, It's easy to get lost in the details in scientific passages because of the heavy words. I'm not from a science background so it's something that I've struggled with in the past. I try to focus on the main point and I always keep the main point in mind. When I finished reading the passage, I had no idea about how these chemicals functioned in animals, I just knew that they follow a hierarchy.

My opinion is unqualified as I'm no expert, but I'm just sharing what I've learnt in my prep journey. Jenn's comments would obviously be much more informative and useful than mine! :)

Originally posted by MBAB123 on 24 Apr 2021, 22:41.
Last edited by MBAB123 on 15 May 2021, 04:35, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Send PM
I am hereby giving answers and I would like to get OA also.

(a) it is not known exactly what functions the hormones perform - functioned to be performed are not discussed but how many and in what directions, their control etc is discussed and suggested in this passage.
(b) each hormone has various effects on plants - YUP..this is the reason due to which these hormones cannot be used on crops. Since they produce some unwanted and somehow dangerous effects on crops.RIGHT ANSWER
(c) none of the hormones can function without the others no interdependency is discussed !!
(d) each hormone has different effects on different kinds of plants - goes out of scope of the passage.
(e) each hormone works on only a small subset of a cell's genes at any particular time -does not relate...

2. (a) plant cell walls
(b) the complement of genes in each plant cell
(c) a subset of a plant cell's gene complement
(d) the five major hormones RIGHT as the place of hypothalamic hormones is top and the same is enjoyed by five major hormones in plants.
(e) the oligosaccharins

3. (a) to stimulate a particular plant cell to become part of a plant's root system
(b) to stimulate the walls of a particular cell to produce other oligosaccharins
(c) to activate enzymes that release specific chemical messengers from plant cell walls RIGHT
(d) to duplicate the gene complement in a particular plant cell
(e) to produce multiple effects on a particular subsystem of plant cells

4. (a) is the right answer..

5. (C) is the right answer..

6. (c) is the right answer

7. (A)

I would like to get OA as that would help to give crisp explanation if I am right and would force me to find flaws in my reasoning if I am wrong...
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts