Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:35 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Alternate Transcript Question [#permalink]
Duff wrote:
Alex,

If I can jump in on this as well, I have a similar question. I have a 3.2/4.0 in history and geophysics from a top 30 school. Not a show stopper by any means but a bit below average for most top schools that I am targeting. I recently decided to augment a few courses as I am about two years out from applying.

Here's the rub: I am an active duty Navy SEAL headed out on a deployment during which I will have intermittent internet connectivity at best. The location is expected to be austere. Excelsior Online University offers a great program called MBA Boot Camp for finance, accounting, and statistics. These classes are "teacher facilitated" which means I could complete them at my pace which is ideal because of the circumstances on deployment. The problem is that the courses are not credited towards a degree. This is part of Excelsior's Professional Development program and there is no formal transcript that is furnished upon completion. I spoke with Excelsior however and they are more than happy to produce a formal letter head with a transcript providing an actual GPA and grades based on my progress. Nonetheless, it is less than a formal transcript. The program is very affordable and they offer excellent support to military personnel.

The classes and the pace is ideal for my situation. It is about all I can do. Should I pursue these courses even though they are not part of a formal degree program?

Thanks!!!
Duff

Duff, that should be fine. Although while your GPA isn't that great, the adcoms will cut you more slack since you are a military officer (and a SEAL no less). Regardless of whether you enroll in this Excelsior program or not, what will matter more is your GMAT. If you are able to score reasonably well (680+ and ideally 720+), then most adcoms will likely overlook your GPA completely (it's not great but its' not horrible either - "horrible" would be under 3.0). Good luck
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Alex,

Another question. I will be sending it GRE scores, not GMAT. I am also eying several Military Fellowships and Scholarships and two of which only accept the GRE. I only mention that to assure you it is not because the test is considered by some as "easier." Regardless, I have mulled this over extensively and I decided on the GRE for which I am now prepared. I have spoken to a few admissions reps and they assure me it is equally weighed. What's your take on that given the other aspects of a my profile? Thanks!!

Duff
Send PM
GRE is fine - don't overthink it.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thats the best advice I've heard yet. Thanks Alex
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Alex,
A wanted to put together a more formal profile now that I sat for the GRE for the first time.

Stats up front:
29/m
*3.2/4.0 from a top 30. History Major, Geophysics minor
*Varsity Lacrosse, ROTC
*GRE: 321 (161 V, 160 Q). On the ETS converter that comes to a 680 GMAT

Work Experience : 7 Years Navy SEAL Officer. 5 Deployments to date with combat.
-Consistent leadership in a variety of austere and high profile locations.
-Senior level coordination within DOD
-Excellent lessons learned in terms of personnel management
-Task Unit commander in charge of $25M in equipment overseas.
-Consistent high performance in my service record. Ranked #1 of 16 peers (also SEAL Officers) on most recent eval period

Extra Curricular: Involved heavily in several charity foundations and recruiting campaigns in support of the SEAL community.
-Repeated visitor to my Alma Mater as a speaker on Leadership for the Athletic Department.
-Lead food drives at work
-Volunteered at foundation events for the Wounded Warrior Foundation.

Hobbies:
-Reading
-Lacrosse
-Soccer
-Golf

Future goals:
I love the experience of leading people and I have a passion for working within small teams. I also feel as if the driving forces of today's global environment are economic in nature. While I think I could find employment within the private sector by separating from the service now, I am looking for a management role. General Management seems like a great fit and I seek an MBA to cross into the private sector in a position that I think is more fitting. As for the timing, I am coming to the end of my operational leadership time and I am at the point in my career where my experience is both relevant and recent. Personally, I am also looking to provide a lifestyle more conducive to a family as opposed to the continuous deployment
My decision to take the GRE is likely to be a question. I chose to take it because I want to remain competitive for several of the fellowships offered in the service. Princeton's Woodrow Wilson School among others only accepts the GRE. This is purely to keep options open.

Summary: I feel I can articulate my leadership experience and I actively stay in touch with fellow members of my community who are now in business school. I also feel that my essays will have tangible examples of what I think ADCOMs are looking for. I will not be making a move to business school for a few years but I have spent some time getting to know the process. I will likely retake the GRE to get to the 90-92% percentile. Given what I have to work with now though, how do I look for the following schools?

HBS
Wharton
Tuck
Darden
Fuqua
Johnson
Owen

Regards,
Duff
Send PM
Duff,

To be honest, I don't think you need to go beyond the top 16.

As a SEAL (or any officer in the US special forces units), you will be competitive for *any* top 16 school, including H/S/W. In short, don't screw up your application, and you'll have a decent shot of getting in. B-schools have had great experiences with US military vets and particularly special forces guys (they tend to do well in b-school, and employers also covet them), so adcoms will have a pretty favorable impression of you just by virtue of who you are. You probably already know this and you may be trying to be hyper aware about not being over confident, but I don't think that should be an issue.

The key thing is being able to show that you understand what aspects of your military leadership experience is applicable, relevant and transferable to a civilian (and in particular a business/corporate) environment, and which aspects of your military experience isn't as relevant. And this goes beyond just some of the surface level obvious stuff (i.e. combat). It's really about showing that you understand the differences in group dynamics between a military unit and a civilian one. In most military units, there's a kind of fraternal bond and a sense of purpose beyond the individual that simply doesn't exist to the same degree in the civilian (business) world - the collective values of each individual are not the same as in the military. This goes into another discussion, but those who talk about how fulfilling, rewarding and life changing their leadership experiences are tend to come from the military, sports, etc. It's less common hearing that in a business context - because managing people in a corporate context generally is a pain in the a** -- you're either dealing with people who don't care as much as you want them to care, or you're dealing with primadonnas who resent your position (but will be nice to you to your face), or people who are trying to undermine you -- and unlike the military there is generally less incentive to stick together as its easier to break it apart (i.e. far easier to "leave" a company or get fired, than it is to desert your military unit, and when that is an immediate reality, it affects how you manage people). In short, expect the group dynamics even in the healthiest companies to be more dysfunctional than it might be in a high performance military unit: what separates one company from the next isn't how "healthy" the culture is, but how dysfunctional it is. Again not everything about management sucks (and I'm certain there are folks out there who do enjoy it, find it fulfilling, or even love it), but just don't expect the leadership experience in a business context to be as fulfilling as what you did in the military (maybe even nowhere near what you felt in the military with the people you led). The flipside is that business/corporate pays better haha

Finally, the GRE is fine.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you very much for the positive words up front. It is very encouraging to hear I am competitive.

Sorry to hear your perception about the corporate group dynamic is so jaded.
Send PM
Ha! Jaded - probably. But it's not far from the reality of what you'll find in corporate life. Simply put, employees don't care to the same degree about their group/company as a military unit does for its own men. And while certain aspects of your leadership experiences are transferable, it still requires a different kind of leadership.
GMAT Club Bot