GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Nov 2019, 10:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Although its sting is said to be less painful than only the aptly-name

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
avatar
S
Joined: 11 May 2016
Posts: 38
Location: India
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.26
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Although its sting is said to be less painful than only the aptly-name  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2018, 09:42
1
28
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

56% (01:35) correct 44% (01:53) wrong based on 679 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Although its sting is said to be less painful than only the aptly-named bullet ant, the tarantula hawk wasp rarely bothers humans, and its sting lasts for only five minutes.

A. the aptly-named bullet ant, the tarantula hawk wasp rarely bothers humans, and its sting lasts for
B. that of the aptly-named bullet ant, the tarantula hawk wasp rarely bothers humans, and the pain from its sting lasts
C. that of the aptly-named bullet ant and it rarely bothers humans, the tarantula hawk wasp’s sting causes pain that lasts for
D. the aptly-named bullet ant’s, the tarantula hawk wasp rarely bothers humans, and the pain from its sting lasts for
E. the aptly-named bullet ant’s and it rarely bothers humans, when the tarantula hawk wasp does sting, the pain lasts
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
V
Joined: 22 Feb 2018
Posts: 415
Re: Although its sting is said to be less painful than only the aptly-name  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2018, 04:29
4
OA : B

IMO, Option D is implying that sting of bullet ant is aptly-named.
whereas,intended meaning is that particular ant species is aptly named as bullet ant.
_________________
Good, good Let the kudos flow through you
VP
VP
User avatar
D
Status: Learning
Joined: 20 Dec 2015
Posts: 1023
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
Re: Although its sting is said to be less painful than only the aptly-name  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2018, 08:05
2
1
tamal99 wrote:
Abhishek009 wrote:
Max.MayankG wrote:
Although its sting is said to be less painful than only the aptly-named bullet ant, the tarantula hawk wasp rarely bothers humans, and its sting lasts for only five minutes.

A. the aptly-named bullet ant, the tarantula hawk wasp rarely bothers humans, and its sting lasts for
B. that of the aptly-named bullet ant, the tarantula hawk wasp rarely bothers humans, and the pain from its sting lasts
C. that of the aptly-named bullet ant and it rarely bothers humans, the tarantula hawk wasp’s sting causes pain that lasts for
D. the aptly-named bullet ant’s, the tarantula hawk wasp rarely bothers humans, and the pain from its sting lasts for
E. the aptly-named bullet ant’s and it rarely bothers humans, when the tarantula hawk wasp does sting, the pain lasts

Correct Answer must be (B) for the highlighted errors in other options.


Hey Abhishek009,
Could you please explain why D is wrong.

Regards,
Tamal

Posted from my mobile device


D is incorrect because of the incorrect modifier " aptly-named bullet ant’s " it modifies sting but the intended meaning is that aptly-named bullet should describe ant not its stings.
I think lasts for is also redundant we can use only lasts.
_________________
Please give kudos if you find my answers useful
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Jun 2018
Posts: 24
Re: Although its sting is said to be less painful than only the aptly-name  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2018, 06:49
1
Max.MayankG wrote:
Although its sting is said to be less painful than only the aptly-named bullet ant, the tarantula hawk wasp rarely bothers humans, and its sting lasts for only five minutes.

A. the aptly-named bullet ant, the tarantula hawk wasp rarely bothers humans, and its sting lasts for
B. that of the aptly-named bullet ant, the tarantula hawk wasp rarely bothers humans, and the pain from its sting lasts
C. that of the aptly-named bullet ant and it rarely bothers humans, the tarantula hawk wasp’s sting causes pain that lasts for
D. the aptly-named bullet ant’s, the tarantula hawk wasp rarely bothers humans, and the pain from its sting lasts for
E. the aptly-named bullet ant’s and it rarely bothers humans, when the tarantula hawk wasp does sting, the pain lasts


IMO B
A, D and E incorrectly compares sting with bullet ant.
C- the subject after comma should be tarantula hawk wasp, so wrong subject after comma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9780
Location: Pune, India
Re: Although its sting is said to be less painful than only the aptly-name  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2019, 22:08
1
sayan640 wrote:
Option A is inccorect because :- Wrong comparison between "its sting" and "the aptly named bullet ant ". Comparison should be between sting of the tanarantula hawk wasp and sting of bullet-ant.
"than only the aptly-named " sounds awkward.

Option B is correct because :- "that of " clearly compares sting of hawk wasp with the sting of bullet-ant.

Option C is incorrect because :- The intended meaning is that " tarantula hawk wasp rarely bothers humans" where as this sentence says that its sting bothers humans.

Option D is incorrect because :- "the aptly named bullet ant's" is not complete.

Option E is incorrect because :- Dame error as D . "Does sting" is wordy.

Please let me know if you liked my explanation.
Maxximus sayantanc2k VeritasKarishma mikemcgarry VeritasKarishma DavidTutorexamPAL egmat


(B) is better than (D) because:
A's sting is more painful than B's - Correct
The sting of A is more painful than that of B - Correct (option B)
Option (D) is a mix of the two - The sting of A is more painful than B's (option D)

Besides, when you say "aptly named bullet ant's sting" - "aptly named" and "bullet ant" both are modifying sting.
But "aptly named" should modify "bullet ant".
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Board of Directors
User avatar
D
Status: QA & VA Forum Moderator
Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 4831
Location: India
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Although its sting is said to be less painful than only the aptly-name  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2018, 10:50
Max.MayankG wrote:
Although its sting is said to be less painful than only the aptly-named bullet ant, the tarantula hawk wasp rarely bothers humans, and its sting lasts for only five minutes.

A. the aptly-named bullet ant, the tarantula hawk wasp rarely bothers humans, and its sting lasts for
B. that of the aptly-named bullet ant, the tarantula hawk wasp rarely bothers humans, and the pain from its sting lasts
C. that of the aptly-named bullet ant and it rarely bothers humans, the tarantula hawk wasp’s sting causes pain that lasts for
D. the aptly-named bullet ant’s, the tarantula hawk wasp rarely bothers humans, and the pain from its sting lasts for
E. the aptly-named bullet ant’s and it rarely bothers humans, when the tarantula hawk wasp does sting, the pain lasts

Correct Answer must be (B) for the highlighted errors in other options.
_________________
Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 01 Jan 2018
Posts: 157
Location: India
Schools: IIM (II)
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GPA: 3.84
Although its sting is said to be less painful than only the aptly-name  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2018, 02:37
1
Abhishek009 wrote:
Max.MayankG wrote:
Although its sting is said to be less painful than only the aptly-named bullet ant, the tarantula hawk wasp rarely bothers humans, and its sting lasts for only five minutes.

A. the aptly-named bullet ant, the tarantula hawk wasp rarely bothers humans, and its sting lasts for
B. that of the aptly-named bullet ant, the tarantula hawk wasp rarely bothers humans, and the pain from its sting lasts
C. that of the aptly-named bullet ant and it rarely bothers humans, the tarantula hawk wasp’s sting causes pain that lasts for
D. the aptly-named bullet ant’s, the tarantula hawk wasp rarely bothers humans, and the pain from its sting lasts for
E. the aptly-named bullet ant’s and it rarely bothers humans, when the tarantula hawk wasp does sting, the pain lasts

Correct Answer must be (B) for the highlighted errors in other options.


Hey Abhishek009,
Could you please explain why D is wrong.

Regards,
Tamal

Posted from my mobile device
_________________
kudos please if it helped you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Feb 2018
Posts: 386
Re: Although its sting is said to be less painful than only the aptly-name  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2018, 03:42
1
A. ((the aptly-named bullet ant)), the tarantula hawk wasp rarely bothers humans, and its sting lasts ((for)) - incorrect.

B. //that of the aptly-named bullet ant//, the tarantula hawk wasp rarely bothers humans, and the pain from its sting lasts -correct.

C. that of the aptly-named bullet ant ((and it rarely bothers humans,)) ((the tarantula hawk wasp’s sting)) causes pain that lasts ((for))
- incorrect.

D. the aptly-named bullet ant’s, the tarantula hawk wasp rarely bothers humans, and the pain from its sting lasts ((for)) - incorrect.

E. the aptly-named bullet ant’s ((and it rarely bothers humans)), ((when)) the tarantula hawk wasp does sting, the pain lasts - incorrect

Thus, B is best.

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Director
Director
User avatar
D
Joined: 08 Jun 2013
Posts: 542
Location: France
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE: Consulting (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Although its sting is said to be less painful than only the aptly-name  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2018, 07:51
Can any expert GMAT-Ninja, e-gmat, Souvik, daag, GMAT-Ninja2 , broll discuss in detail why choice D is wrong?

Posted from my mobile device
_________________
Everything will fall into place…

There is perfect timing for
everything and everyone.
Never doubt, But Work on
improving yourself,
Keep the faith and
Stay ready. When it’s
finally your turn,
It will all make sense.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Jan 2016
Posts: 8
Location: Spain
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: LBS '18 (D)
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 2.95
Re: Although its sting is said to be less painful than only the aptly-name  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2018, 10:39
Could someone explain why "lasts for" is incorrect?

Thanks in advance
Intern
Intern
avatar
S
Joined: 16 Apr 2017
Posts: 44
Although its sting is said to be less painful than only the aptly-name  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2018, 05:54
1
OA is B,

D is incorrect because the adejective "aptly-named" should modify "bullet ant" and not its "sting", which option d is trying to modify.

Posted from my mobile device
_________________
KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Oct 2018
Posts: 7
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
Re: Although its sting is said to be less painful than only the aptly-name  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2018, 20:01
jhalonso wrote:
Could someone explain why "lasts for" is incorrect?

Thanks in advance


"lasts/ lasts for" are both correct.
this split is used as a red herring to distract you.
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: Greatness begins beyond your comfort zone
Joined: 08 Dec 2013
Posts: 2428
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Although its sting is said to be less painful than only the aptly-name  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2019, 06:07
Although its sting is said to be less painful than only the aptly-named bullet ant, the tarantula hawk wasp rarely bothers humans, and its sting lasts for only five minutes.

A. the aptly-named bullet ant, the tarantula hawk wasp rarely bothers humans, and its sting lasts for - comparison error - sting vs bullet ant
B. that of the aptly-named bullet ant, the tarantula hawk wasp rarely bothers humans, and the pain from its sting lasts - Correct
C. that of the aptly-named bullet ant and it rarely bothers humans, the tarantula hawk wasp’s sting causes pain that lasts for - meaning change - although ... and it rarely bothers humans, the TH's sting
D. the aptly-named bullet ant’s, the tarantula hawk wasp rarely bothers humans, and the pain from its sting lasts for - modifies issue - aptly-named modifies bullet ant's sting
E. the aptly-named bullet ant’s and it rarely bothers humans, when the tarantula hawk wasp does sting, the pain lasts - meaning change - same as C ; aptly-named modifies bullet ant's sting

Answer B

In option D, is there any other issue besides the modifier issue(aptly-named modifies bullet ant's sting)?

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyMurray , DmitryFarber , daagh , generis , other experts - please enlighten
_________________
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Aug 2018
Posts: 226
Re: Although its sting is said to be less painful than only the aptly-name  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2019, 06:29
Imo B

D is wrong, because sting of tarantula is to be compared with sting of bullet ant.

But , in option D it seems to compare sting with name of the bullet ants sting. Wrong comparison



D. the aptly-named bullet ant’s, the tarantula hawk wasp rarely bothers humans, and the pain from its sting lasts for

Kudos plz

Posted from my mobile device
_________________
"Press +1 KUDOS"

Be very critical of my Post
Ask as many questions of my post possible
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Oct 2018
Posts: 63
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Reviews Badge
Re: Although its sting is said to be less painful than only the aptly-name  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2019, 06:08
A compares ‘its sting’ to ‘the aptly named bullet ant’. This is wrong, the sting of ‘it; needs to be compared to the ant’s sting’.
C uses ‘and’ thanks to which the sentence fails to convey the contrast that it is supposed to. E has the same issue.
D is wrong because it uses ‘lasts for’.

B is the right answer
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 29 Oct 2015
Posts: 233
Although its sting is said to be less painful than only the aptly-name  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 03 Apr 2019, 22:19
Option A is inccorect because :- Wrong comparison between "its sting" and "the aptly named bullet ant ". Comparison should be between sting of the tanarantula hawk wasp and sting of bullet-ant.
"than only the aptly-named " sounds awkward.

Option B is correct because :- "that of " clearly compares sting of hawk wasp with the sting of bullet-ant.

Option C is incorrect because :- The intended meaning is that " tarantula hawk wasp rarely bothers humans" where as this sentence says that its sting bothers humans.

Option D is incorrect because :- "the aptly named bullet ant's" is not complete.

Option E is incorrect because :- Same error as D . "Does sting" is wordy.

Please let me know if you liked my explanation.
Maxximus sayantanc2k VeritasKarishma mikemcgarry VeritasKarishma DavidTutorexamPAL egmat

Originally posted by sayan640 on 03 Apr 2019, 19:09.
Last edited by sayan640 on 03 Apr 2019, 22:19, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Mar 2019
Posts: 7
Although its sting is said to be less painful than only the aptly-name  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2019, 22:40
Option B is correct because :- "that of " clearly compares sting of hawk wasp with the sting of bullet-ant.

D is wrong, because sting of tarantula is to be compared with sting of bullet ant.
GMAT Club Bot
Although its sting is said to be less painful than only the aptly-name   [#permalink] 03 Apr 2019, 22:40
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Although its sting is said to be less painful than only the aptly-name

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne