Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:34 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.39
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 386 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Accounting, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 172
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 195
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
Send PM
Re: Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate comparable to [#permalink]
(A) people in France consume fatty foods at a rate comparable to the United States, their

1) error of comparison: "a rate comparable to the United States". "Rate" is being compared with "the US".

2) Redundancy: Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate comparable to the United States, their death rates from heart disease are far lower in France.

Here, "their" refers to "people in France", Hence the sentence says that people in France have death rates that are lower in France. Do "people in France" have other, higher, rates in other countries? :lol:

(B) people in France and the United States consume fatty foods at about the same rate, the

(C) fatty foods are consumed by people in France at a comparable rate to the United States’s, their

1) "their" seems to refer to "fatty foods", which is the subject of the preceding clause. Even if you say "their" can safely refer to "people in France", you will still have the same problem as in (A). Don't forget that "their" must stand for "people in France", not just "people"

2) "United States’s" what? "United States’s fatty foods", "United States’s rate". NOTHING. It is not clear

(D) the rate of fatty foods consumed in France and the United States is about the same, the

1) Let's look at some examples to understand why (D) is wrong.

1) Sherlock Holmes has found the evidence of Jerry killed by Tom.
2) Sherlock Holmes has found the evidence that Jerry has been killed by Tom.

The first says that Sherlock Holmes has found evidence of Jerry, whereas the second says that Sherlock Holmes has found evidence of What Tom has done to Jerry. Hence, The first example does not convey the intended meaning. Likeqwise, (D) suffers from the same meaning problem.

Instead, the sentence should say: "the rate at which foods are consumed"

2) Foods don't have "rates"

(E) the rate of people consuming fatty foods is about the same in France and the United States, the

1) The same problems as in (D)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4928 [0]
Given Kudos: 690
Concentration: Accounting
Send PM
Re: Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate comparable to [#permalink]
Top Contributor
cruiser wrote:
Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate comparable to the United States, their death rates from heart disease are far lower in France.

(A) people in France consume fatty foods at a rate comparable to the United States, their

(B) people in France and the United States consume fatty foods at about the same rate, the

(C) fatty foods are consumed by people in France at a comparable rate to the United States’s, their

(D) the rate of fatty foods consumed in France and the United States is about the same, the

(E) the rate of people consuming fatty foods is about the same in France and the United States, the

People of France are compared with the people united states in consuming fatty acid. The correct answer is B.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 559 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
EducationAisle

is "rate to the United States’s" correct? I believe it is. We can say "United State's rate"
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hoozan wrote:
EducationAisle

is "rate to the United States’s" correct? I believe it is. We can say "United State's rate"

Hi Hoozan, while using the possessive form (United States’s in this case) in comparison sentences, we would typically prefer a more parallel construct, before and after the comparison indicator.

For example:

Michael's salary is comparable to Jim's.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts