Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:44 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2103 [5]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [1]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q42 V31
GPA: 4
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 111
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.24
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 342 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Re: Although the suspected carcinogen dioxin is formed when lignin...... [#permalink]
A) Sorting garbage would allow recovery of recyclable materials as well as prevent dioxin formation. - does not weaken the argument.
B) Incineration of plastics is suspected of causing emissions of several dangerous pollutants. - the passage deals with dioxins. ''pollutants'' are out of scope in reference to the this passage.
C) The level at which dioxin concentrations become unacceptably high is still a matter of dispute within the scientific community.
- if anything, this would tip the argument in favor of the position taken by the author. Besides, acknowledging that a dispute regarding the 'level' that is considered unacceptable exists is itself not sufficient to weaken the argument.
D) Existing incineration technology leaves residues containing sufficient amounts of lignin and chlorine for dioxin formation after burning. - From (D), we know that even with the existing incineration technologies, the threat of dioxins still looms from the left overs of the burning process. Hence, (D) weakens the argument. Therefore, (D) is the right answer choice.
E) Lignin and chlorine are found in other substances that might be burned in a garbage-disposal plant as well as paper and plastic.
- (E) tells us that there are different sources of lignin. Still, acknowledging this fact is not proof that the current incineration technology is insufficient. Hence, (E) does not weaken the argument.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 118
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V31
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Although the suspected carcinogen dioxin is formed when lignin...... [#permalink]
Hi egmat, i'll appreciate your help with my analysis.

I used the following process to identify the conclusion, since I consider that question stem is not specific enough to work with it.
Is A because of B? or Is B because of A?

My two options were:
(A) Advocates of garbage disposal through burning maintain that separating garbage is impractical and unnecessary.
(B) They claim that high-temperature incineration will destroy the ingredients needed for production of dioxin.

In my opinion, A because of B is more logical than B because of A:

Advocates of garbage disposal through burning maintain that separating garbage is impractical and unnecessary because they claim that high-temperature incineration will destroy the ingredients needed for production of dioxin.

Since the process to identify the conclusion is crucial to choose the correct the answer choice, Would you agree with my analysis?

If i'm not wrong above, I think choice A would be a better answer choice since A attacks directly the conclusion.

My assumption would be that separating garbage is impractical and unnecessary if it does not prevent dioxin formation. That's exactly what choice A states, isn't it?

Choice D would be correct if the conclusion were “ They claim that high-temperature incineration will destroy the ingredients needed for production of dioxin.”

Thanks a lot!
GMAT Club Bot
Although the suspected carcinogen dioxin is formed when lignin...... [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts