Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 23:07 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 23:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72916 [4]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72916 [0]
Send PM
Amazon has hired 1,000+ newly minted M.B.A.s in the past year [#permalink]
Expert Reply
I think part of it depends on your experience and ambitions.... I have seen/heard of a number of less sexy fields at Amazon such as procurement, logistics, ops, finance, etc, rather than brand management, or strategy, or consulting.

However, once you are in, you are able to move and be recognized if you have potential and drive and thus while you may start in an "average" role, your career after year 1, is really up to you. Usually you will see a difference in trajectory between someone who got hired into a cushy position and did nothing else vs. someone who got hired into a lower-ranked role but has grown and had multiple promotions/opportunities.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Amazon has hired 1,000+ newly minted M.B.A.s in the past year [#permalink]
bb wrote:
I think part of it depends on your experience and ambitions.... I have seen/heard of a number of less sexy fields at Amazon such as procurement, logistics, ops, finance, etc, rather than brand management, or strategy, or consulting.

However, once you are in, you are able to move and be recognized if you have potential and drive and thus while you may start in an "average" role, your career after year 1, is really up to you. Usually you will see a difference in trajectory between someone who got hired into a cushy position and did nothing else vs. someone who got hired into a lower-ranked role but has grown and had multiple promotions/opportunities.

Why do you consider procurement, logistics, ops, finance etc in Amazon as less sexy fields? Are renumerations and prospects of career growth the reasons behind your claim?

Sent from my SM-N915K using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
uyplus wrote:
bb wrote:

Why do you consider procurement, logistics, ops, finance etc in Amazon as less sexy fields? Are renumerations and prospects of career growth the reasons behind your claim?

Sent from my SM-N915K using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

It's just a general notion in my opinion. The "sexy" jobs are marketing, strategy, etc, they are more popular fields than some of the others and are highly competitive.
I myself am chasing supply chain and ops so I have no issues with it being less popular or competitive ;)
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
My area/industry is not a traditional mba destination either... but there are benefits to that. Better hours and less hectic or political....

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
GPA: 3.7
WE:Supply Chain Management (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
cxa0897 wrote:
Something I'm curious of, is what roles these guys/girls are taking? Is amazon offering the same role to Harvard as they are to Carnegie Mellon, or even another top 50? Almost every employment report I've looked at lists amazon, so it seems that they do recruit all over, but there's no indication of for what roles

In the retail part of Amazon, most people work in vendor management (buying from manufacturers), marketing, supply chain planning, and program management. Not super sexy but there is lots of mobility at Amazon. And yes, they offer the same role to grads from everywhere.

(I work at Amazon in the retail org and most of my colleagues are MBA grads. I'm 2.5 years out of undergrad looking at going to b-school in ~2 years or so.)
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
ducksuit wrote:
cxa0897 wrote:
Something I'm curious of, is what roles these guys/girls are taking? Is amazon offering the same role to Harvard as they are to Carnegie Mellon, or even another top 50? Almost every employment report I've looked at lists amazon, so it seems that they do recruit all over, but there's no indication of for what roles

In the retail part of Amazon, most people work in vendor management (buying from manufacturers), marketing, supply chain planning, and program management. Not super sexy but there is lots of mobility at Amazon. And yes, they offer the same role to grads from everywhere.

(I work at Amazon in the retail org and most of my colleagues are MBA grads. I'm 2.5 years out of undergrad looking at going to b-school in ~2 years or so.)

Thanks for chiming in! Always good to have an insider perspective. i was super surprised about the number of MBA's they have hired.... but looking at the stock price and the recent 10% bump, I guess it will be 1,200 next year.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 131 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 690 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Consumer Products)
Send PM
bb wrote:
ducksuit wrote:
cxa0897 wrote:

Thanks for chiming in! Always good to have an insider perspective. i was super surprised about the number of MBA's they have hired.... but looking at the stock price and the recent 10% bump, I guess it will be 1,200 next year.

Don't forget their new 5 billion dollar investment offer for second headquarter. They might need a lot more once that opens up
BSchool Moderator
Send PM
That's awesome to hear. Do you work alongside MBAs or are they generally a tier above you? I figure most MBA's are going to be decently up the chain
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
GPA: 3.7
WE:Supply Chain Management (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
cxa0897 wrote:
That's awesome to hear. Do you work alongside MBAs or are they generally a tier above you? I figure most MBA's are going to be decently up the chain

I work alongside MBAs! They're not much above me, actually. For example, my direct manager is a step above the level of straight out of B school hires. It would actually make sense for me to work at Amazon forever because the progression is pretty fast. But the idea of working 10+ years at the same company I was hired out of undergrad from seems really claustrophobic...

Here's a rough guide to our leveling system, from the knowledge of someone near the bottom of the ladder:
Level 1-3 (usually warehouse associates), don't have any of these working at HQ (or at least that I interact with or know of)
Level 4 - straight out of undergrad or 1-2 years of experience; typically takes ~2 years to rotate and be promoted to next level
Level 5 - usually internal promotions; typically takes ~2 years to rotate and be promoted to next level
Level 6 - level that fresh MBA hires come in as; much longer time to be promoted to next level (maybe 3-4 years?)
Level 7 -
Level 8 -
Level 9 - (this doesn't exist to my knowledge, and no one knows why lol)
Level 10 - VP
... and beyond

Here's what my personal upwards reporting structure looks like, I am at the end of my node:
Me (5)
Manager (7)
Manager's manager (team leader, ~30 people)
VP
Another VP
SVP
CEO (one of a few, not Jeff B)
Jeff Bezos
BSchool Moderator
Send PM
great insight, I didn't even realize they had a level system like that.

3 or 4 years sounds just about right on your map for the promotion, that is the same length as the rotational programs I've seen from them for mbas
GMAT Club Bot