Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:44 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [32]
Given Kudos: 146
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [14]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [5]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: An artist is painting a white circular region on the top surface of a [#permalink]
Hi mromrell,

I can't wrap my head around the last step you are doing.

We have the area of the square = 8*8 = 64
We also have the area of the circle = 4^2*π => 16π

Then the blue area must be = 64-16π

How do we go from this step to (4-π)/4 ?

Hope you can clarify, thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: An artist is painting a white circular region on the top surface of a [#permalink]
Abhishek009 wrote:
saiesta wrote:
An artist is painting a white circular region on the top surface of a square blue tile that measures 8 inches on a side. If the circle is inscribed in the square, what fraction of the top surface of the tile will be blue?

A. \(\frac{1}{4}\)
B. \(\frac{1}{2}\)
C. \(\frac{\pi}{4}\)
D. \(\frac{(4 – \pi)}{\pi}\)
E. \(\frac{(4 – \pi)}{4}\)

Attachment:
Untitled.png

Area of Square is \(8^2\) = 64

Area of circle is \(π*4^2\) = \(16π\)

Area of Blue region is \(64 - 16π\)

So, Fraction of tile that will be Blue is = \(\frac{64 - 16π}{64}\)

Or, Fraction of tile that will be Blue is = \(\frac{16 (4 - π)}{16*4}\) = \(\frac{4 - π}{4}\)

Hence, Correct answer will be (E) \(\frac{4 - π}{4}\)

Hi Abhishek009

Thank you very much for the explanation. I misread the question. I thought that we were being asked for the blue area, but I see now that we HAVE to divide by 64 as we are being asked for the fraction of the blue area to the square.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Circle inscribed in a square=> diamter of circle = side of quare

Fraction of Blue area = (area of Square-Area of Circle)/Area of Square
= (8^2-pi*4^2)/8^2 = (4-pi)/4
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [0]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Quote:
An artist is painting a white circular region on the top surface of a square blue tile that measures 8 inches on a side. If the circle is inscribed in the square, what fraction of the top surface of the tile will be blue?

A. \(\frac{1}{4}\)

B. \(\frac{1}{2}\)

C. \(\frac{\pi}{4}\)

HI GMATGuruNY ,EMPOWERgmatRichC , MentorTutoring GMATCoachBen

An artist is painting a white circular region on the top surface of a square blue tile that measures 8 inches on a side. Are we finding the circumference outside the square?

Can you please help me with this problem? I'm unable to comprehend the wordings.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
An artist is painting a white circular region on the top surface of a [#permalink]
Expert Reply
NandishSS wrote:
Quote:

Can you please help me with this problem? I'm unable to comprehend the wordings.

We are asked to calculate the blue area in the figure below:

Originally posted by GMATGuruNY on 31 Jul 2020, 05:32.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on 02 Aug 2020, 09:36, edited 1 time in total.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
NandishSS wrote:
Quote:

A. \(\frac{1}{4}\)

B. \(\frac{1}{2}\)

C. \(\frac{\pi}{4}\)

An artist is painting a white circular region on the top surface of a square blue tile that measures 8 inches on a side. Are we finding the circumference outside the square?

The short answer is no, you are not trying to find the circumference of a circle that is larger than the square. How do you know? There are two ways you can tell:

1) The white circle is going to be painted on the top surface of the blue square tile, not covering up all the blue.

2) The question that follows references the circle being inscribed in the square, so the square must be the larger figure. (Otherwise, we would expect the language to be a bit different—e.g., the circle circumscribes the square or the square is inscribed in the circle.)

As much as possible, when you get bogged down in the phrasing of a problem, step back and look for small details, clues such as those I have drawn attention to above, to point you in the right direction.

I hope that helps. Thank you for bringing the question to my attention.

- Andrew
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
NandishSS wrote:
Quote:

A. \(\frac{1}{4}\)

B. \(\frac{1}{2}\)

C. \(\frac{\pi}{4}\)

Hi NandishSS,

When one shape is INscribed in another shape, it means that you are drawing the first shape "inside" of the 2nd shape (with the sides 'touching'). In this question, we will draw a white circle inside of a blue square - and the diameter of the circle will be EQUAL to the side length of the square.

Thus, most of the blue square will be painted white. Since we know that the side length is 8, we can calculate the area of the square and the area of the circle. The difference in those two numbers will be equal to the 'leftover' parts of the square that are still blue. That number, when divided by 64 (re: the area of the square), will tell us what percentage of the square is still blue.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22055 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
saiesta wrote:

A. \(\frac{1}{4}\)

B. \(\frac{1}{2}\)

C. \(\frac{\pi}{4}\)

Solution:

The diameter of the inscribed circular region is the same as the side of the square tile; thus, it’s 8 inches. Therefore, the area of the circular region is π x (8/2)^2 = 16π sq. inches. Since the area of the square is 8^6 = 64 sq. inches, the area of the square tile that is still blue is 64 - 16π sq. inches. Therefore, the fraction of the square tile that is still blue is (64 - 16π) / 64 = (4 - π) / 4.

Answer: E
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Given Kudos: 512
Send PM
Kudos
Since the circle is inscribed in the square, diameter of circle = side of the square. This implies radius =8/2=4
Attachments

File comment: Pfa
91D2A4F9-BD88-4DCC-BDD4-D60541F31135.jpeg
91D2A4F9-BD88-4DCC-BDD4-D60541F31135.jpeg [ 669.84 KiB | Viewed 2354 times ]

GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92915 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts