Last visit was: 14 May 2024, 11:48 It is currently 14 May 2024, 11:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [5]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13471 [2]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: CFA Institute; ICAI; BCAS
Own Kudos [?]: 565 [1]
Given Kudos: 694
WE 2: EA to CFO (Consumer Products)
GPA: 3.78
WE:Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: ISB '24
WE:Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: An international rugby team composed of four people must be organized [#permalink]
Let the Iranian players \(= I\), and the Turkish players \(= T\). Analyzing the question, we see that there is a constraint given where each selection of a team of four players must have at least two Iranian players. Therefore, there are three cases that we need to consider to solve this problem, namely:

Case 1: Two Iranian players and two Turkish players, i.e. \(IITT\), or \(6C2*5C2=150\)
OR
Case 2: Three Iranian players and one Turkish player, i.e. \(IIIT\), or \(6C3*5C1=100\)
OR
Case 3: Four Iranian players and no Turkish players, i.e. \(IIII\), or \(6C4=15\)

Either of these three cases can be true, so we can add them up to get \(150+100+15=265\). Option (B) is the correct answer.

Hope this helps!

Pritam
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: An international rugby team composed of four people must be organized [#permalink]
Another approach to answer this could be the reverse way of thinking.
The question asks for total number of combinations possible when at least 2 players are Iranian. There are two approaches to solve this problem.

Straight forward way
Here we calculate the possible combinations of these independent events, and eventually add them, since keyword "or" is involved (i.e. mutually exclusive)
2 Iranian and 2 Turkish = 6C2 * 5C2 = (3*5) * (5*2) = 15*10 = 150
3 Iranian and 1 Turkish = 6C3 * 5C1 = (5*4) * 5 = 20*5 = 100
4 Iranian and 0 Turkish = 6C4 * 5C0 = (5*3) * 1 = 15

Now we add them all up all the likely scenarios for solution => 150 + 100 + 15 = 265

Alternate Approach
Here we calculate all the possible combinations and deduct all the combinations which cannot happen.
Total number of combinations = 11C4 = 330
0 Iranian and 4 Turkish = 6C0 * 5C4 = 1*5 = 5
1 Iranian and 3 Turkish = 6C1 * 5C3 = 6*10 = 60

Total number of selection possible - Not getting what we want => 330 - (5+60) = 265
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 160
Send PM
GMATinsight wrote:
Orvil wrote:
An international rugby team composed of 4 people must be organized from among 5 Turkish players and 6 Iranian players. If a team must have at least 2 Iranian players, how many different ways are there to produce the team?

The official answer is 265.

I solved the problem in the following way:
Selecting 2 players from 6 iranian players: 6C2 + Selecting the rest of the players: 9C2 (9 players remain after selecting the first two.

Can anyone help me with what's wrong with my method? The problem has been posted here before but the thread is not accessible. Any help will be appreciated.

Your calculation is flawed as there are some repeated cases
e.g Iranians {ABCDEF} and Turkish {PQRST}

Case 1: 2 iranian selected are {AB}, now, 9C2 might select {CQ}
Case 2: 2 iranian selected are {AC}, now, 9C2 might select {BQ}
Now, you can understadn that these two cases are identical but the calculation has counted it two times hence the REPETITION

You must make separate cases in this question as follows

5 Turkish players and 6 Iranian players, team must have at least 2 Iranian players
Case 1: 2 Iranians and 2 Turkish : 6C2*5C2 = 15*10 = 150
Case 2: 3 Iranians and 1 Turkish : 6C3*5C1 = 20*5 = 100
Case 3: 4 Iranians and 0 Turkish : 6C4*5C0 = 15*1 = 15

Total Outcomes = 150+100+15 = 265

Orvil

CLICK HERE For Accessing many Videos on Combinatorics and SUBSCRIBE the channel

1st Video solutions based Modular On-Demand QUANT Course: All Concepts | 2000+Qns | 20+ Tests |
Two MUST join YouTube channels : GMATinsight (1000+ FREE Videos) and GMATclub :)

Hi,

I created similar cases like above. However, I didn't use the selection formula and use the basic counting principle to fill in the spots and got a different answer.

Case 1: 2 Iranians and 2 Turkish : 6* 5* 5T*4T = 600
Case 2: 3 Iranians and 1 Turkish : 6*5*4* 5T = 600
Case 3: 4 Iranians and 0 Turkish : 6*5*4*3 = 240

Can you help me understand the flaw in reasoning? Any resources/links to fill in this gap would be really helpful too.

chetan2u Bunuel KarishmaB
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65281 [1]
Given Kudos: 431
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
prakashb2497 wrote:
GMATinsight wrote:
Orvil wrote:
An international rugby team composed of 4 people must be organized from among 5 Turkish players and 6 Iranian players. If a team must have at least 2 Iranian players, how many different ways are there to produce the team?

The official answer is 265.

I solved the problem in the following way:
Selecting 2 players from 6 iranian players: 6C2 + Selecting the rest of the players: 9C2 (9 players remain after selecting the first two.

Can anyone help me with what's wrong with my method? The problem has been posted here before but the thread is not accessible. Any help will be appreciated.

Your calculation is flawed as there are some repeated cases
e.g Iranians {ABCDEF} and Turkish {PQRST}

Case 1: 2 iranian selected are {AB}, now, 9C2 might select {CQ}
Case 2: 2 iranian selected are {AC}, now, 9C2 might select {BQ}
Now, you can understadn that these two cases are identical but the calculation has counted it two times hence the REPETITION

You must make separate cases in this question as follows

5 Turkish players and 6 Iranian players, team must have at least 2 Iranian players
Case 1: 2 Iranians and 2 Turkish : 6C2*5C2 = 15*10 = 150
Case 2: 3 Iranians and 1 Turkish : 6C3*5C1 = 20*5 = 100
Case 3: 4 Iranians and 0 Turkish : 6C4*5C0 = 15*1 = 15

Total Outcomes = 150+100+15 = 265

Orvil

CLICK HERE For Accessing many Videos on Combinatorics and SUBSCRIBE the channel

1st Video solutions based Modular On-Demand QUANT Course: All Concepts | 2000+Qns | 20+ Tests |
Two MUST join YouTube channels : GMATinsight (1000+ FREE Videos) and GMATclub :)

Hi,

I created similar cases like above. However, I didn't use the selection formula and use the basic counting principle to fill in the spots and got a different answer.

Case 1: 2 Iranians and 2 Turkish : 6* 5* 5T*4T = 600
Case 2: 3 Iranians and 1 Turkish : 6*5*4* 5T = 600
Case 3: 4 Iranians and 0 Turkish : 6*5*4*3 = 240

Can you help me understand the flaw in reasoning? Any resources/links to fill in this gap would be really helpful too.

chetan2u Bunuel KarishmaB

Basic Counting Principle is used when you are selecting from a single group and you need to arrange the selection too. Here we only need to select a group of 4 people from two groups - Iranians and Turkish. There is no arrangement involved. We cannot use the Basic Counting Principle here.
If the 4 needed to be arranged in 4 distinct spots on the team (such as Quarterback, centre, wings and fullback), then we would have arranged the 4 selected players.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
93259 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3136 posts