Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:52 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Applying to part and full time programs at the same school? [#permalink]
Now that I'm thinking about it..... I saw something about needing to maintain full-time employment to use the services at Kellogg.... hmmmm
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Well I ended up going part time at UCLA, b/c they have an excellent part time program. They also allow you to compete with full time students for all jobs, and they don't have strict rules like some other programs. I also want to stay in the same industry, and simliar job role, etc... UCLA is ranked #2 in part time programs. And for this reason, it's why a lot of top MBA programs either don't have part time programs, or have strict rules that hurt their part time rankings. See them here: us-part-time-mba-rankings-class-profiles-and-comparison-84898.html?fl=menu

It's a big deal at the schools you've mentioned b/c they really don't want part time students competing agains their full time students b/c this will hurt their full time ranking. Obviously, this is their bread and butter, and why they have great reputations. But their part time programs can be somewhat limiting, but you get that reputation on your resume.

Although, I have heard of many students leaving their job after their 2nd year in the part time program, taking an internship, and then either trying to turn that into a job and working while they finish up their last year or school... or go to their last year of school is an accelerated way (while not working) and then taking a full time job with that company. It can be a little tougher though b/c recruiters aren't as familiar with it.

All this being said, you are correct, a 630 will put you outside the 80% range for both full time and part time at these programs. SO i would recommend that you put all your effort into your GMAT and work to hit 690+. At that point, you can drill down on what programs will be right for you. In the meantime, go to an open house or two (for both programs), talk to some alums, browse our forums, and really figure out what will be best for you. There's a lot to consider, but fortunately you are starting at a great time of year to have plenty of time for round 1 applications at the schools of your choice.

As far as gruduation times, speed, and if they will allow it, all schools are different. You will have to contact them directly.
Good luck, and let me know if you have any other questions.
GMAT Club Bot